Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

"Allah does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear"-how is this correct?

Rate this topic

Guest crazyworld

Guest crazyworld

Most of us have heard this somewhere: "Allah does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear", especially if you're into 'positive' thinking, or going through a hard time, and obsessed with Islamic motivational quotes. It comes from Surah Baqarah, verse 286. 

However I struggle to understand how those words are true, considering many are struggling with lives' extreme hardships to the point of committing suicide. If Allah truly doesn't burden us with things we cannot bear, then how is it that some of us aren't able to 'bear' it anymore, and end our own lives?

I do not want to make this a personal post, but I am going through a really hard time. I wake up depressed and anxious everyday. I have to actively make myself forget my difficulties in order to do everyday live things, in other words I have to delude myself into thinking that my problems don't exist in order to be able to cope with it and not make everyone around me suspicious and worried. (I hate when people pity me or try to ask me personal questions). People wouldn't guess what I'm going through on the inside, they just see me smiling and getting on with live on the outside.

But I cant play pretend anymore. It has now gotten to the point where it is controlling my mind and effecting me physically; I cant find the motivation to do anything and I'm always getting sick because the stress and heaviness is weakening my immune system (and will probably cause so sort of serious illness long term). That heavy weight has become so burdening to my soul, heart, and mental health. I don't feel happiness anymore. I don't see a way out. If I do force myself to get out of the situation that is causing the depression, then other people around me would get effected. I have to be honest, if it wasn't for the fact that the the people I love would get hurt then I would get out of whats causing it in a heart beat. But I don't have it in me to do that.

I am now at a stage where suicidal thoughts are always on my mind and believe its just better to end it al this way, with my own hands. The only thing that is stopping me is knowing how much this would sadden my family and the fact its haram in Islam. I still have Iman, and believe in Islam. But I also don't have a lot of hope that things will get better, because I question whether Allah just destined my live to be miserable and doesn't intend my live to get better no matter how hard I try. 

• Forum Administrators

Salam. In the Surah called The Believers [Holy Qur'an 23:62] Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) says:

And We task no soul (burden) beyond its capacity (what he can bear), and with Us is a Book (Record, evidence) that speaks in truth. And they shall not be wronged.

‏وَلَا نُكَلِّفُ نَفْسًا إِلَّا وُسْعَهَا ۖ وَلَدَيْنَا كِتَبٌۭ يَنطِقُ بِٱلْحَقِّ ۚ وَهُمْ لَا يُظْلَمُونَ ‎

It is easy for me to say this, because I have been through a lot and I do feel your pain. If you remember that there are other people who have bigger problems than you, it might calm your spirit. Please do not make any decisions while in a depressed mood. Just rest and think good thoughts. Please stay in touch with us.

The Holy Qur'an 2:286 has a special prayer that you can repeat as often as you need:

لَا يُكَلِّفُ اللَّهُ نَفْسًا إِلَّا وُسْعَهَا لَهَا مَا كَسَبَتْ وَعَلَيْهَا مَا اكْتَسَبَتْ رَبَّنَا لَا تُؤَاخِذْنَا إِن نَّسِينَا أَوْ أَخْطَأْنَا رَبَّنَا وَلَا تَحْمِلْ عَلَيْنَا إِصْرًا كَمَا حَمَلْتَهُ عَلَى الَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِنَا رَبَّنَا وَلَا تُحَمِّلْنَا مَا لَا طَاقَةَ لَنَا بِهِ وَاعْفُ عَنَّا وَاغْفِرْ لَنَا وَارْحَمْنَا أَنتَ مَوْلَانَا فَانصُرْنَا عَلَى الْقَوْمِ الْكَافِرِين

Allah does not task any soul beyond its capacity. Whatever [good] it earns is to its benefit, and whatever [evil] it incurs is to its harm. ‘Our Lord! Take us not to task if we forget or make mistakes! Our Lord! Place not upon us a burden as You placed on those who were before us! Our Lord! Lay not upon us what we have no strength to bear! Excuse us and forgive us, and be merciful to us! You are our Master, so help us against the faithless lot!’ 

Guest Abdul

This life is incomplete and full of problems and tragedies, we are created to worship Allah for whatever years we live 60,70,80 it's not a long time trust me so thinking of taking it early is not a great idea. The verse can be applied in many situations in our lives, even patience which you speak of, if you are a true believer and trust what Allah has written for you, then Allah will not push you beyond your breaking point, and thus the verse mentioned. He will make you wait only what you are capable of and not further. 

Think of the many muslims right now that are in a harder position than you and are dreaming to be in your place, theres people out there without even the basic needs to live so you are in a privileged position, I'm only guessing here because I don't know your exact situation but inshalah you are.

The Imam al Sadaq AS mentiones in one of his narrations 4 different tasbeeh/sayings you could say to fight fear, anxiety, concern or grief and make you happier and enjoy your life. I am only paraphrasing from memory here so if you want to look up the narration and study it further.

حسبنا الله ونعم الوكيل 

To help with fear

لا اله إلا أنت سبحانك إني كنت من الظالمين 

To help with grief, anxiety, concern

وافوض امري الى الله ان الله بصير بالعباد

Helps against people that are making your life difficult, or have bad intentions against you.

ما شاء الله لا قوة الا بالله 

If you seek happiness in this life than repeat this all the time.

I have used those sayings in the past and alhmdililah they have helped me a lot, say each one as much as you can, 100 or more is advised and also thing of the after life a lot and try to strive for it and always repeat استغفر الله واتوب اليه, read سورة الإخلاص 3 times before you sleep to ease your mind. There are many other tools and techniques and I ask Allah to help you and guide you to the right path.

Allah does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear"

• Advanced Member

Something I noticed is that there's people who have killed themselves because their favorite anime character dies, and there people who get tortured and raped by their fathers who don't kill themselves when they easily could. So I don't think suicide is like the dark last resort a person has no choice to do once they experience X amount of pain, why a person turns to suicide is dependent on personal factors. There's people who if they had what you're dealing with and also had the same level of pain tolerance, would have killed themselves a long time ago. But there is such a thing as too much, a burden that a soul can't bear. In these cases the person literally goes insane, or develops a fatal illness. In my grandfather's case he couldn't bear the grief of his wife dying so he developed conditions from the stress and died like a year later. Why does this happen? I think this is because the problem they're facing isn't a test that can be overcome, it's how they're going to pass on to the next world.

You said you didn't want to make this a personal post, but please do so. We want to listen without judging and try to comfort you. You sound like a sane and strong person so I don't think you're doomed to have this problem get the best of you. Make a post detailing your case, someone might have something useful to say.

• Advanced Member
On 5/17/2022 at 8:05 PM, Guest crazyworld said:

Most of us have heard this somewhere: "Allah does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear", especially if you're into 'positive' thinking, or going through a hard time, and obsessed with Islamic motivational quotes. It comes from Surah Baqarah, verse 286. 

However I struggle to understand how those words are true, considering many are struggling with lives' extreme hardships to the point of committing suicide. If Allah truly doesn't burden us with things we cannot bear, then how is it that some of us aren't able to 'bear' it anymore, and end our own lives?

I do not want to make this a personal post, but I am going through a really hard time. I wake up depressed and anxious everyday. I have to actively make myself forget my difficulties in order to do everyday live things, in other words I have to delude myself into thinking that my problems don't exist in order to be able to cope with it and not make everyone around me suspicious and worried. (I hate when people pity me or try to ask me personal questions). People wouldn't guess what I'm going through on the inside, they just see me smiling and getting on with live on the outside.

But I cant play pretend anymore. It has now gotten to the point where it is controlling my mind and effecting me physically; I cant find the motivation to do anything and I'm always getting sick because the stress and heaviness is weakening my immune system (and will probably cause so sort of serious illness long term). That heavy weight has become so burdening to my soul, heart, and mental health. I don't feel happiness anymore. I don't see a way out. If I do force myself to get out of the situation that is causing the depression, then other people around me would get effected. I have to be honest, if it wasn't for the fact that the the people I love would get hurt then I would get out of whats causing it in a heart beat. But I don't have it in me to do that.

I am now at a stage where suicidal thoughts are always on my mind and believe its just better to end it al this way, with my own hands. The only thing that is stopping me is knowing how much this would sadden my family and the fact its haram in Islam. I still have Iman, and believe in Islam. But I also don't have a lot of hope that things will get better, because I question whether Allah just destined my live to be miserable and doesn't intend my live to get better no matter how hard I try. 

Brother everyone at some point in life comes across problems which he think he cannot get out of. But through prayers and Quran, you will find peace slowly and gradually. Remember that there were and there are people who went through difficult situations than you but they remained steadfast. This world is place of trial and your means to pass through such trials are patience and reliance on Allah (عزّ وجلّ). Thinking of suicide will not help you and your family, it will create further problems so you should work on what should you do so that no any additional problems are created. 

I suggest that you should discuss with someone what makes you depressed and how it can be dealt with whether with any family member or your friend.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2022 at 11:05 AM, Guest crazyworld said:

The ayat means that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) does not test someone in a way that they are guaranteed to fail that test. It's like if a teacher gave a calculus exam to a 5 year old (assuming that 5 year old is not a super genius), then when they failed it, sent them to hell because of the failure. Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is Merciful, and the Mercy of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) extends to all of creation, including every human being, which includes you and I. No one is excluded, even the people who don't believe in God. If Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) would continue to give life, health, rizq, etc, to a kafir or an atheist (which is a reality, btw) then why wouldn't Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) give it to you ? Someone who believes in Him(s.w.a) and attempts to obey Him as much as possible ?

The key to keeping your Iman is Sabr(patience) and taqwa(consistent awareness of the presence of Allah(s.w.a)). If you have those two qualities, then you have everything and you don't need anything else. Sabr is necessary because it is not always the case that you get what you need exactly at the time you need it. There is sometimes a delay. The delay is there to separate between the sincere ones (Mukhlaseen) and the Munafiq(hypocrites). If everyone always got everything they need at the exact moment they needed it, then there would be no way to tell the sincere person from the insincere one. It is very easy to have Iman when your belly is full, your rizq is plentiful, you and your family are healthy, and there is peace and safety around you. If that were the test, there would be no test. You are capable of passing the test, and by passing the test gaining Paradise, because Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) created you to put you in Paradise and not to deprive you of it. At the same time, Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) wants you to show some patience and fortitude in trials in order to differentiate you from the insincere people. 

Because Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is just, if there were no test, then the Kafir and the Munafiq would approach Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) on the Day of Judgement and would say 'Why are you putting that person in Paradise and me in Hell'. He never had to go thru anything difficult in his life, and neither did I. So I chose to disbelieve and he chose to believe. His belief has no merit and my disbelief also has no merit. We are the same. Because of the Justice of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) that argument would carry weight, and then maybe Paradise wouldn't exist at all 

The Mercy of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will be manifest on the Day of Judgement for all to see. These people will approach Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and say, 'I stopped believing in you because of such and such trial. My child died, I lost my business, there was a natural disaster, my wife cheated on me, etc, and I supposed that there was no God because God wouldn't put someone thru a trial like that, and anyone who went thru these trials also disbelieved in you so there is no reason to send me to hell. I guarantee you that almost everyone who became kaafer or munafiq (who are worse than the kafir) did so because of one trial or another. 

Then Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will bring forth those mumineen and muminat who went thru those trials and trials much greater than that and kept their Iman and taqwa, and tried their best, despite all their trials to do their best to serve Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) in the ways that they were able. They will become ayat Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), true signs of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and Hujjat Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), the decisive proofs of Allah. Then those kuffar who made this claim will have no claim, the Justice of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will come down on them, and the Mumineen and muminat will be lead into Paradise with honor and dignity. It says in the Quran, I forget which Surat now, that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) says 'Paradise is granted to you because you were patient'. That is the reason why. Some others weren't patient, so they missed this. Noone deserves Paradise. If anyone enters it, is in because of the Mercy of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). But Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will look for any excuse to distinguish those who believe in Him(s.w.a) from those who don't, and then use this distinction in order to grant them Paradise. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)

Salam,

The best is to TRUST Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and believe that whatever He does to us is the Best.  Seek His Guidance to show the ma'rifah on why our own life is destined to be within certain constraints.  

I was born to be Malaysian  and not as Iranian, Pakistani, Chinese or from other nations.  Should I question Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) on this issue?  Or should i be  born as Saddam or as an Iraqi Arab killed violently by Saddam? Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) knows best why i was not born as Saddam.

Within the highway to our destiny, we have to make efforts so we can understand our ultimate destination and our return to Him.

We need to treat whatever events that will occur i our life are opportunities to praise and glorify Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). Events can be favorable and unfavorable to us because boths are tests. We need to glorify Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) under both tests.

If an event facing us is beyond our control, take this opportunity to Trust Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) even more and to ask Him for guidance.

Wallahualam.

Layman

Edited by layman

• Advanced Member
On 5/17/2022 at 8:05 PM, Guest crazyworld said:

Allah (عزّ وجلّ) never tries you with something that you cannot get out of. If you try your best, you can get out of it.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2022 at 12:43 AM, Abu Hadi said:

if a teacher gave a calculus exam to a 5 year old (assuming that 5 year old is not a super genius), then when they failed it, sent them to hell because of the failure.

Yes. But another way to look at this is.... if the teacher knows that a child has the potential to be super genius and so he gives that 5 year old a calculus exam, but the child fails....then it would be the child's own fault why he did not become super genius. The child may think that it is unfair that he is being tested with such a high level exam at such a young age and may consider that the test is beyond his ability. He may be right - it may really be beyond his ability to pass the test, but then it would be his own fault why he didn't become super genius so that he could have passed the test because it could have been in his ability. 

Likewise, people who are tested with extremely difficult tests may think that it is unfair and beyond their ability to handle these tests...and they may be right. But then it could be their own fault.....why did they not become so pious in the first place that these extremely difficult tests which are beyond the ability of a common man would become easy for him to follow? 

So, I believe that if a person is being tested with a burden that is too difficult for him to withstand....he should only blame himself for not being so pious that he could have faced the burden and passed it. 

Edited by Maisam Haider

• Advanced Member

My dear brother, hasn't Allah given you free will do make your life the way you want it, and hasn't Allah given you that which you strive for?

If Allah gives you a test, know that he has given you everything you need to pass that test, this is where your faith is tested. So if you're going to quote Qur'an then tell me, is this verse 78 in Surah nisa also referring to you?

Wherever you may be, death will overtake you, even if you should be within towers of lofty construction. But if good comes to them, they say, "This is from Allāh"; and if evil befalls them, they say,1 "This is from you." Say, "All [things] are from Allāh." So what is [the matter] with those people that they can hardly understand any statement?

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)

Salam...

Read surah Al Baqarah from

152. Therefore remember Me, I will remember you, and be thankful to Me, and do not be ungrateful to Me.
153. O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient.
154. And do not speak of those who are slain in Allah's way as dead; nay, (they are) alive, but you do not perceive.
155. And We will most certainly try you with somewhat of fear and hunger and loss of property and lives and fruits; and give good news to the patient,
156. Who, when a misfortune befalls them, say: Surely we are Allah's and to Him we shall surely return.
157. Those are they on whom are blessings and mercy from their Lord, and those are the followers of the right course

Trust Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). 

Edited by layman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

It is interesting to read this thread.  There is a similar verse in the Trustworthy Injil. (1Corinthians 10) (the word translated "temptation" can also mean "test")

12 So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall! 13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

This verse gives me hope.  It doesn't leave me having to rely on my own power to over come temptation and to endure hardship.  God promises that he will provide "a way out" or a way of escape.

As a person who foillows Jesus the Messiah, I know that when I am tempted or when I am going through a test, I am not on my own.  God has promised his powerful Holy Spirit to live within me giving strength and wisdom to overcome.

The teaching of the Bible is that God uses hard times to mature us and help us to grow in our faith and understanding of God and his love and care for us.  This is the teaching of James the 'brother' of Jesus the Messiah (James chapter 5)

10 Brothers and sisters, as an example of patience in the face of suffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. 11 As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.

What an amazing promise - God is compationate and merciful the trials we face are not from a God who wants to hurt us but from his love working in us for our good.

Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. (Romans Chapter 5)

As we work through the hard times in our life let's call to God asking him to pour his loving Holy Spirit into our lives so we grow and mature.

Guest Been there

I've been there brother/sister. You can bear it. Seek therapy or whatever tool is at your disposal.

• Advanced Member

The way I have come to understand this verse is that Allah does not burden (i.e. require) a soul more than it can bear, in the shari'i sense - so in terms of worship and in following the Islamic law, Allah does not ask us to do more than what is our capacity. You can take this verse in a motivational quote sort of way, but I don't think this verse applies to agony and/or the challenges that we face during our life, since there are times when there is an abundance of trials upon us which overwhelms us beyond our scope. Major depression is an example. Suicide as well. In fact, death itself is the very overburdening of suffering and pain that we can not afford, hence we are returned to Allah.

However, Allah does not intend misery for us. Allah has knowingly provided us with an exceptional free will that we should use to our advantage. Meet with a doctor and seek out new hobbies. Above all, work with yourself as best as you can.

• Basic Members

Salam,

I don't have any Ayahs or Hadiths to give you but I can say a bit of my experience, in hopes it might help you in some way.

Without getting too personal, and without trying to sound arrogant but I used to be very religious when I was younger.

After a few life events happened that I struggled to accept ... I began to have anxiety and ptsd. All of which made my immune system weaker and I developed chronic fatigue syndrome and other autoimmune issues.

I even reached a stage where I didn't want to live anymore. I kept asking Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) to take my life away.

I started to go away from religion. Don't get me wrong, I would still pray and fast, but I would just do the wajib. And that's it.

But then SubhanAllah, Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) made my health get worse.

I wasn't able to work like I used to anymore. My friends didn't like me anymore. My family kept talking bad about me. Nobody understood me. I felt so alone. And the only person that understood me was dead.

Slowly, I started to realise that the only One I had was Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). I started talking to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) as a friend and SubhanAllah, He (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) allowed me to get these feelings that made me understand why I went through all of this.

It was all so I could return back to Him (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

Because even though I'm not fully healed yet, I'm at peace with where I am.

The point of what I'm trying to say, is that maybe you should reflect on your life. Be honest with yourself and try to break down the events of your life. See why this is happening.

I'm not saying it's easy, healing my past is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. (And I’m still on this journey) 

And that's how I interpret the Ayah 2:286. This life is all a test, but that doesn't mean it's going to be an easy test. You just have to figure out what the tests are in your life and try to work through them with Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). And trust me, if you truly try to connect with Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), He will respond to you in feelings. (It's hard to explain how but you will understand when it happens)

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) help you on your life journey and make you content with any test that comes your way, InshaAllah Ya Rab.

• Veteran Member
On 6/4/2022 at 3:39 PM, Ibn-e-Muhammad said:

The way I have come to understand this verse is that Allah does not burden (i.e. require) a soul more than it can bear, in the shari'i sense - so in terms of worship and in following the Islamic law, Allah does not ask us to do more than what is our capacity. You can take this verse in a motivational quote sort of way, but I don't think this verse applies to agony and/or the challenges that we face during our life, since there are times when there is an abundance of trials upon us which overwhelms us beyond our scope. Major depression is an example. Suicide as well. In fact, death itself is the very overburdening of suffering and pain that we can not afford, hence we are returned to Allah.

However, Allah does not intend misery for us. Allah has knowingly provided us with an exceptional free will that we should use to our advantage. Meet with a doctor and seek out new hobbies. Above all, work with yourself as best as you can.

Salam, i believe the ayah applies to everything that relates to us.

If Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is with us, everything can be overcome (physically or psychologically). Even the ability to execise Sabr and be satisfied with any given situation,  is from Him (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

Will Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) creates burden for us to trust Him?  He is available to all.  Just struggle to reach him.  As long as Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is with us, all situations in life can be overcome ( even at individual level) whether these situations are within our human capacities or not. 

I do agree that at human level, we should try our best to overcome our misery. From the inner part of us, only His Help that we seek so that the relationship between us and Him (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) determines our direction.

Wallahualam.

• Advanced Member
11 hours ago, layman said:

Salam, i believe the ayah applies to everything that relates to us.

If Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is with us, everything can be overcome (physically or psychologically). Even the ability to execise Sabr and be satisfied with any given situation,  is from Him (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

Will Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) creates burden for us to trust Him?  He is available to all.  Just struggle to reach him.  As long as Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is with us, all situations in life can be overcome ( even at individual level) whether these situations are within our human capacities or not. 

I do agree that at human level, we should try our best to overcome our misery. From the inner part of us, only His Help that we seek so that the relationship between us and Him (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) determines our direction.

Wallahualam.

You can take it that way. I guess most tafasir have explained it as such. For me, it just does not hold up against the cases of suffering around the world that (I would argue) are more than what an average human can bear.

Allahu 'alam.

• Moderators
On 5/19/2022 at 2:24 AM, Guest Abdul said:

Think of the many muslims right now that are in a harder position than you and are dreaming to be in your place,

How is this a consolation when we are told to think of God as Rahman and Rahim - ones whose mercy encompasses all? He can alleviate pain and sufferings of anyone he wishes to, right? 

On 5/24/2022 at 5:09 AM, Maisam Haider said:

believe that if a person is being tested with a burden that is too difficult for him to withstand....he should only blame himself for not being so pious that he could have faced the burden and passed it. 

So we tell this to the women forced to sell their bodies in Iraq, post war, to feed their children, some within a few miles of Imam Ali(a) shrine that they are to be blamed for for not being pious enough to see their children perish from hunger and resorted to what's apparently haram?

On 5/23/2022 at 2:34 PM, layman said:

We need to treat whatever events that will occur i our life are opportunities to praise and glorify Allah

Brother, try telling this to a woman who has been gang raped, while pregnant (happened in Pakistan just a few hours back) or to any person who is facing constant oppression from another human being and not able to do anything about it. 

@guest 2025I read this a few days back 

Killing oneself is, anyway, a misnomer. We don't kill ourselves. We are simply defeated by the long, hard struggle to stay alive. When somebody dies after a long illness, people are apt to say, with a note of approval, "He fought so so hard".And they are inclined to think, about a suicide, that no fight was involved, that somebody simply gave up. This is quite wrong. Sally Brampton,

• Veteran Member
8 hours ago, Ibn-e-Muhammad said:

You can take it that way. I guess most tafasir have explained it as such. For me, it just does not hold up against the cases of suffering around the world that (I would argue) are more than what an average human can bear.

Allahu 'alam.

The answer for all this can be found in doa Kumail.

Wallahualam.

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, starlight said:

Brother, try telling this to a woman who has been gang raped, while pregnant (happened in Pakistan just a few hours back) or to any person who is facing constant oppression from another human being and not able to do anything about it. 

Salam,

Rasulullah was attacked in Taif while trying to follow instructions from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), and nothing he could do change these people.  He (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and Ali (عليه السلام) were attacked by stones and injured. Both had to run for safety.

Imam Hussain (عليه السلام), His family members and followers were massacred in Karbala.

We know, the world can be a HELL to many people.  But, we must have hope to hold on to.  Otherwise, we may think that God is unjust! Nauuzibillah!

If the connection to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) is strong, He (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will make us survive the pain internally.  The period to live in this world is short, then the real world will start, and forever.

I understand that we are not in the shoes of those who are suffering.  We sit behind computer and write as we are above all. If we believe in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام), we will feel the pain of others, and we ask Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) to give strength to the oppressed and punish the oppressors.

But, we should not loss connection to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) due to worldly suffering.  Trust Him (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and look beyond this world!

Wallahualam.

• Advanced Member
On 5/23/2022 at 7:09 PM, Maisam Haider said:

Likewise, people who are tested with extremely difficult tests may think that it is unfair and beyond their ability to handle these tests...and they may be right. But then it could be their own fault.....why did they not become so pious in the first place that these extremely difficult tests which are beyond the ability of a common man would become easy for him to follow? 

What about a child? If a child was molested or abused in any way and ended up taking their life or hurting themselves, would you blame them for not being pious enough? I mean, what is the link between piety and facing difficulties in life, anyway? I really don't see how those two can even remotely be related.

Guest سيد

Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) can test you beyond your capacity!

He (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) tested Musa (عليه السلام) knowing he would not be able to pass.

As Khithr (عليه السلام). said: "You will not be able to have patience with me."

He didn't say you could have. No you are not capable. Not able to.

We recite a Quranic dua: "our Lord do not burden us with what we do not have power over". Why the need to pray for that?

Ruqayyah was unable to bear seeing her father's head, and died instantly. Peace be upon them both. It was beyond her capacity to bear. Please nobody dare to tell me she could have!

We even have some narrations that sometimes Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will make you fail, or test you with something so that you fail (for different reasons, such as to curb your ego, or if you refused to help a fellow believer etc).

There are plenty of cases where an incident caused people to lose their sanity because the pressure of the event (such as seeing the death of a child in a horrific accident) was beyond their capacity. Please don't tell me they could have stayed sane if they wanted.

So what does it mean:

"Allah does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear" ?

In my humble opinion, it means He (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will not punish you for those things that were beyond you, and only judge you based on your capacity.

"Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) does not burden a soul except with what He has given it".

So if your capacity is 50 and you're tested with 100, you're only accountable for 50.

(Please note: I want to make it super clear that this is in no way to exonerate suicide, which is certainly haram with disastrous consequences, everyone who attempted suicide and survived and had a near death experience reported horrible terrible painful consequences).

• Moderators
3 hours ago, starlight said:

It mostly will not work at all denepending on the person soul and in what mental condition they are. Psychiatrist are best choise for these kind of treatments when people are in state where they are suicidal or can not find any desire to live in this world. 

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Ibn-e-Muhammad said:

What about a child? If a child was molested or abused in any way and ended up taking their life or hurting themselves, would you blame them for not being pious enough? I mean, what is the link between piety and facing difficulties in life, anyway? I really don't see how those two can even remotely be related.

Salam , There are some examples of them which they could overcome their dilemma by asking help from Allah & Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام) then became successful  people .

9 hours ago, starlight said:

So we tell this to the women forced to sell their bodies in Iraq, post war, to feed their children, some within a few miles of Imam Ali(a) shrine that they are to be blamed for for not being pious enough to see their children perish from hunger and resorted to what's apparently haram?

There is a hadith which says poverty is gate of disbelief .

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam , There are some examples of them which they could overcome their dilemma by asking help from Allah & Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام) then became successful  people .

You may be correct, but the point I was trying to make is how exactly do we argue that Allah does not burden a soul with more than what it can bear - when there are so many children who are not able to bear heinous crimes done against them? How is a child supposed to bear molestation? Or trafficking? They were not designed to bear things that way. It breaks their process of development very early on and they're already at a disadvantage in life, although yes, they can be as successful as anyone else if they worked thrice as hard.

And how insensitive is it to link all of this to one's piety. My God.

• Veteran Member

Salam,

Islam is a social religion.  Those who are capable of landing a hand to those who are sufferings must do so.

If a muslim woman was gang raped, the muslim community are responsible to shoulder that burden and give full support.  We do this because of trust in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).  If the whole community is not able help due to real constraints, then we have duas to help spiritually.  Imams, Prophet and Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will support and protect the oppressed if we call for help.

In many situations, those who are sufferings are not strong in their belief, and they don't know what to do.  Those among Muslims in a community who are spiritually, mentally, psychologically, intellectually capable must actively help those who are oppressed (e.g. a woman that was gang raped). If we don't help, the punishment from Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will rain on us, sooner than we can think of.

Muslims have duties to protect and assist each other for the sake of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).

Wallahualam.

• Veteran Member
18 hours ago, Guest سيد said:

Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) can test you beyond your capacity!

He (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) tested Musa (عليه السلام) knowing he would not be able to pass.

As Khithr (عليه السلام). said: "You will not be able to have patience with me."

He didn't say you could have. No you are not capable. Not able to.

We recite a Quranic dua: "our Lord do not burden us with what we do not have power over". Why the need to pray for that?

Ruqayyah was unable to bear seeing her father's head, and died instantly. Peace be upon them both. It was beyond her capacity to bear. Please nobody dare to tell me she could have!

We even have some narrations that sometimes Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will make you fail, or test you with something so that you fail (for different reasons, such as to curb your ego, or if you refused to help a fellow believer etc).

There are plenty of cases where an incident caused people to lose their sanity because the pressure of the event (such as seeing the death of a child in a horrific accident) was beyond their capacity. Please don't tell me they could have stayed sane if they wanted.

So what does it mean:

"Allah does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear" ?

In my humble opinion, it means He (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will not punish you for those things that were beyond you, and only judge you based on your capacity.

"Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) does not burden a soul except with what He has given it".

So if your capacity is 50 and you're tested with 100, you're only accountable for 50.

(Please note: I want to make it super clear that this is in no way to exonerate suicide, which is certainly haram with disastrous consequences, everyone who attempted suicide and survived and had a near death experience reported horrible terrible painful consequences).

Salam,

It is difficult to draw a line what is within and beyond our capabilities.

Sometimes, just to control the anger within us, we loss control.

The strength to face any difficulties is to Trust Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).  He (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) gives that strength.  Imam Ali (عليه السلام) lifted the door of Khaibar by himself.  But, the same Ali (عليه السلام) couldn't break a bread to share it with his guest.

Because of the strength on believing in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and holding on to Ahlulbayts, Iranians (as a nation with the leadership of Imam Khomeini) managed to topple shah,  withstood 8 brutal years of imposed war by the Western world through Saddam and survives 43 years until now.

Wallahualam.

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Ibn-e-Muhammad said:

And how insensitive is it to link all of this to one's piety.

I think you might have misunderstood. 

What was meant was that if a person is very pious, he would be able to withstand extremely great burdens and will be able to handle intense difficulties and hardships by being patient and seeking help from Allah through worship and Duas. In this way, he would find it easy to fight against the greatest of challenges that life throws at him and would face these hardships with relative ease. 

On the other hand, if a person isn't very pious, he would break at the slightest of hardships. He will not be able to remain patient and will suffer tremendously and find it extremely painful to withstand even minor Islamic challenges, let alone the really difficult ones.

Such people should look at their own seleves; in fact they should blame themselves for not being as pious as is required to withstand the hardships they are facing. 

An example of this is marriage. If a young man wishes to get married but is unable to do so for a very long time because of reasons beyond his control, then if he gets extremely frustrated because of unfullfilled sexual needs, he should blame himself for not being pious enough to deal with this difficulty.... because if he had been pious enough, he would have fasted  continuously to reduce his sexual desire to the point that it doesn't frustrate him to be unmarried. If he doesn't fast because be isn't very pious and then finds it difficult to stay chaste without marriage, he should blame himself for not being pious enough to fast continuously (which would have made it easier to stay chaste without marriage for extended periods of time). 

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Maisam Haider said:

Such people should look at their own seleves; in fact they should blame themselves for not being as pious as is required to withstand the hardships they are facing. 

An example of this is marriage. If a young man wishes to get married but is unable to do so for a very long time because of reasons beyond his control, then if he gets extremely frustrated because of unfullfilled sexual needs, he should blame himself for not being pious enough to deal with this difficulty.... because if he had been pious enough, he would have fasted  continuously to reduce his sexual desire to the point that it doesn't frustrate him to be unmarried. If he doesn't fast because be isn't very pious and then finds it difficult to stay chaste without marriage, he should blame himself for not being pious enough to fast continuously (which would have made it easier to stay chaste without marriage for extended periods of time). 

Zholamtu nafsi... as we read in Dua Kumail.

• Moderators
On 5/17/2022 at 10:05 AM, Guest crazyworld said:

I still have Iman, and believe in Islam. But I also don't have a lot of hope that things will get better, because I question whether Allah just destined my live to be miserable and doesn't intend my live to get better no matter how hard I try. 

He is the One Who sends down the rain after they have given up all hope, and spreads forth His Mercy. He is the Protector, the Praised. Holy Quran 42:28

Salam. Anxiety is worrisome but you can reduce it by some methods. Relax and take it easy. Don't be too hard on yourself. If you don't have anyone to talk to, you can talk to yourself with kindness. Stay hopeful. Keep talking to us. Take care of yourself. There is a reason for your being. You just haven't figured it out yet. Never give up! 

• Advanced Member
19 hours ago, Ibn-e-Muhammad said:

You may be correct, but the point I was trying to make is how exactly do we argue that Allah does not burden a soul with more than what it can bear - when there are so many children who are not able to bear heinous crimes done against them? How is a child supposed to bear molestation? Or trafficking? They were not designed to bear things that way. It breaks their process of development very early on and they're already at a disadvantage in life, although yes, they can be as successful as anyone else if they worked thrice as hard.

And how insensitive is it to link all of this to one's piety. My God.

Salam surely Allah will put a way or someone in their life for overcoming their problems which  shias alwys have supprt of Allah through holy Quran & Ahlulbyt (عليه السلام) in whole of their life which in hardships which looks like untolerable by a single Shia then so any Shia can rely on these two weighty things which it's proven that Imam Mahdi (aj) in all hardships has solved many problems of Shias by will of Allah.

Attention  of Imam  Mahdi(aj) to his Shias:

We do not neglect your condition and we have not forgotten you, that if it were otherwise, troubles would have befallen you and the enemies would have uprooted you. Fear Allah and support us.

"Bihar , V 53 , p 175"

إِنّا غَیْرُ مُهْمِلینَ لِمُراعاتِکُمْ، وَ لا ناسینَ لِذِکْرِکُمْ، وَ لَوْ لا ذلِکَ لَنَزَلَ بِکُمُ اللاَّْواهُ، وَ اصْطَلَمَکُمُ الاَْعْداءُ. فَاتَّقُوا اللّهَ جَلَّ جَلالُهُ وَ ظاهِرُونا

"بحار، ج ٥٣، ص 175"

https://www.mashreghnews.ir/news/917340/حدیث-روز-امام-زمان-عج-ما-در-رعایت-حال-شما-کوتاهی-نمی-کنیم

We know your news. Nothing from your news is hidden from us. We are aware of your slips and shortcomings. Nothing is hidden from us.
Imam Khomeini wrote with the inspiration and citation of such narrations:
See that you are under care. The letter of our deeds goes,Before Imam Zaman (may Allah hasten his reappearance) twice a week according to the narrations. May Allah not want me and you and other friends, the Imam of the Age, to be dissatisfied from us. (6)

5. Bihar., Vol. 53, chapter 31, letter 7, p. 175.

6. Imam Khomeini, Sahifa of Imam, Qom, Publications of the Institute for Organizing and Publishing Imam's Works, 2004, vol. 8, p. 391.

https://www.porseman.com/article/در-رابطه-با-این-که-اعمال-ما-نزد-امام-زمان(عج)آشکار-است-لطفا-توضیحاتی-دهید-یعنی-آیا-ان-حضرت-در-هر-لحظه-از-حال-ما-خبر-دارند-و-همچنین-ایا-به-این-مسئله-در-قرآن-اشاره-شده-است/157627