Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Brother who did wrong

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

should I help my brother if he did something wrong according to Islam? Lets say my brother killed someone and my brother is the one who was in the wrong. should I still defend him? Or he for example hit a women should I still defend him? And if I should, to what extent? 

• Advanced Member
11 hours ago, Kasem213 said:

should I help my brother if he did something wrong according to Islam? Lets say my brother killed someone and my brother is the one who was in the wrong. should I still defend him? Or he for example hit a women should I still defend him? And if I should, to what extent? 

You can help your brother by compensating the other party to whom wrong has been done.

• Advanced Member
11 hours ago, Kasem213 said:

Lets say my brother killed someone and my brother is the one who was in the wrong. should I still defend him? Or he for example hit a women should I still defend him? And if I should, to what extent? 

Salm you can do right deed so then your brother follows you in doing good deeds because  your action is louder than your voice.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Kasem213 said:

The best thing you can do is encourage your brother to admit what he did and if necessary (depending on what wrong deed he did) make amends for the deed. For example, if he stole money, paying back the money, etc. Then to resolve never to do this deed again, and then do Tauba (ask Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) for forgiveness. Tauba is a three step process (Resolution never to repeat the deed, then silah (setting the wrong things right and restoring the haqq), then saying 'AstaghfirAllah'. You should encourage him in this. 

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Too sad to hear but as Imam Ali says; we must support the oppressed even though they may not be our kin and we must oppose (speak up to and correct) the wrongdoer even though they may be our kin.

I saw an Iranian movie related to this a few weeks ago. Here you can see it subtitled in English:

Or here: https://www.imvbox.com/watch-persian-movie-iranian-movies/the-freeway-azad-raah

A religious seminary student (a sheikh to be) witnesses the wrong of his future brother in law and has to make a decision. Either to hide it (give false testimony) and go for marriage or reveal the truth and endure the hardships.

We can see in the film that it is easy for people to preach to do the right thing just as the sheikhs always does (he preaches about giving right testimony). But it is something else (something hard) when you in fact face such things. But what is right must be done no matter what.

We should not defend the wrong. Rather we should explain what is right to our relative in wrong and convince them to compensate for their wrong (i.e. repent and pay back etc.)

Edited by islamicmusic

• Basic Members
8 hours ago, islamicmusic said:

Too sad to hear but as Imam Ali says; we must support the oppressed even though they may not be our kin and we must oppose (speak up to and correct) the wrongdoer even though they may be our kin.

I saw an Iranian movie related to this a few weeks ago. Here you can see it subtitled in English:

Or here: https://www.imvbox.com/watch-persian-movie-iranian-movies/the-freeway-azad-raah

A religious seminary student (a sheikh to be) witnesses the wrong of his future brother in law and has to make a decision. Either to hide it (give false testimony) and go for marriage or reveal the truth and endure the hardships.

We can see in the film that it is easy for people to preach to do the right thing just as the sheikhs always does (he preaches about giving right testimony). But it is something else (something hard) when you in fact face such things. But what is right must be done no matter what.

We should not defend the wrong. Rather we should explain what is right to our relative in wrong and convince them to compensate for their wrong (i.e. repent and pay back etc.)

Thank you for your answer. I had a discussion with my brother about it and just wanted to know what I should do according to Islam. Soo it’s not that serious alhamdulillah.