Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Reputable charities

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Al-Ayn - charity run under the office of Seyyid Sistani, run by competent and lovely people. All the donations go to the orphans too as operations costs are covered by the Seyyid's office. 

Some others:

Noor Orphans Fund

Lady Fatemah Trust

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Uni Student said:

What are some reputable Muslim or Shia charities that I can donate to? I usually donate to IHDRF but their website is down

Salam, jazakallah khair for your donations, may Allah accept your a'mal. Here are some Shia charities:

1. The Zahra Trust
2. I.M.A.M.
3. The Barakat Trust

May Allah bless, forgive, guide, help, and protect you and your family and grant you Jannat al-Firdaus.

Ma3salam.

Guest guest
4 hours ago, -Rejector- said:

Salam. For the past 6 years I received every email confirmation from them. Very professional managing of the charity donations, zakat al-fitrah, etc. 

• Forum Administrators
On 5/7/2022 at 4:18 PM, -Rejector- said:

Salam. This reputable charity is run by people loyal to Ayatullah Sistani, may Allah prolong his life. I don't follow him, but I donate sadagah and send my zakat al-fitrah there, because I don't have the way to access my marja in Iran. Ayatullah Sistani HA and Ayatullah Khamenei, may Allah extend his life, have no animosity with each other. I am sure my marja would allow me to continue my use of that website. 

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Hameedeh said:

Salam. This reputable charity is run by people loyal to Ayatullah Sistani, may Allah prolong his life. I don't follow him, but I donate sadagah and send my zakat al-fitrah there, because I don't have the way to access my marja in Iran. Ayatullah Sistani HA and Ayatullah Khamenei, may Allah extend his life, have no animosity with each other. I am sure my marja would allow me to continue my use of that website. 

Doesnt your zakat have to be donated locally? Like to your closest masjid or Islamic center? 

• Development Team
46 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Doesnt your zakat have to be donated locally? Like to your closest masjid or Islamic center? 

Sometimes the local mosque or Islamic Center is not Shia. Or the people in charge do not agree with your beliefs. 

• Advanced Member
12 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

12 hours ago, wolverine said:

Sometimes the local mosque or Islamic Center is not Shia. Or the people in charge do not agree with your beliefs. 

Salam if that local mosque or Islamic  center is supporting unity between  Muslims you can help that local mosque or Islamic  center although "the people in charge do not agree with your beliefs" but on the other hand they are not supporting anti Shia groups which therefore we can't give any help to Wahabi or Salafi centers & mosques in opposition  we can give help to rest of moderate Sunni centers & mosques.

Assistance to Sunni mosques by Shiites
Question: What is the ruling on helping the Shiites in a Sunni mosque like the Mosque of the Rashidun Caliphs?
Answer: There is no problem for those who follow the path of Islamic unity.

کمک به مساجد اهل سنت توسط شیعه
پرسش :کمک کردن شیعه به مسجد اهل سنت مانند مسجد خلفای راشدین چه حکمی دارد؟
.پاسخ :آنهایی که مسیر وحدت اسلامی را می پیمایند اشکالی ندارد.

https://www.makarem.ir/main.aspx?typeinfo=21&lid=0&catid=46449&mid=268124

Types

There are two types of alms:

• Obligatory: in this type of alms, the person has the religious obligation to give a specific portion of his or her possessions to specific people under certain conditions. Zakatkhums and Fitriyya are instances of such a alms.
  • Recommended: this sort of alms has no specified amount; it is recommended to give any amount of one's money to any person in need for the sake of God.

https://en.wikishia.net/view/Sadaqa_(alms)

In recommended alms, poverty, faith or Islam are not conditional on the recipient. Therefore, rich, Dhimmi infidels and Sunnis can also be given recommended alms. But alms cannot be given to a unbleiver fighter and Nasibi(4).

.در صدقات مستحبی، فقر، ایمان یا اسلام صدقه گیرنده شرط نیست. لذا به غنی، کافر ذمی و سنی نیز می‌توان صدقه مستحبی داد. اما به کافر حربی و ناصبی(۴) نمی­‌توان صدقه داد.

https://farsi.khamenei.ir/news-content?id=27838

Ruling  to pay alms to non-Muslims
Question: Is alms given to non-Muslims?
Answer: There is no problem if he is in need and has no enmity towards Muslims.

حکم پرداخت صدقه به غیر مسلمان
پرسش :آیا صدقه به غیر مسلمان تعلق می‌گیرد؟
.پاسخ :در صورتیکه نیازمند باشد و عداوتی نسبت به مسلمین نداشته باشد اشکالی ندارد.

https://www.makarem.ir/main.aspx?typeinfo=21&lid=0&mid=259528&catid=46449

Who is Eligible for Alms
According to the Qur'an, there are eight classes of people who are eligible for alms:

The poor people (fuqara)
The needy people (masakin)
Those who are employed to collect zakat
Those whose hearts have been (recently) reconciled to Islam (al-mu'allafa qulubuhum).
The emancipation of slaves.
Those in debt if they have not committed any crimes.
In the cause of Allah. That is, in ways to spread Islam.
To the wayfarer (ibn al-sabil), that is, travelers who do not have enough money to go back home.

Features and Conditions
As implied by hadiths and the Qur'an, certain conditions need to be met in order for the alms to be valid:

It should be from one's legitimate possessions and property.
Alms had better be secret.
It should not be accompanied by reproaching the person who is given the alms.
It should be out of pure intentions for God.
It should be from the possessions that one likes (rather than the ones that one wants to get rid of).
The person who gives alms should never take him or herself to be a real owner; rather they should take themselves to be intermediaries between God and His people.

(3) More important problem ahead of Imam was religious deviations and the very thing companions accused 'Uthman of that under title of innovationism. Apart from the innovations, the other major problem was that many people were not well-informed about religion and no action was taken to religiously inform them. A few objective typical distortions Imam was engaged are mentioned herein,

One of the problems earlier talked about is that a group of companions and a number of caliphs brought up rules despite availability of Qur'an and tradition and merely based on “expediency”.

Inter alia, this regarding tradition is more clearly and substantially is cited in historical and hadith sources. Perhaps what Abu Ja’far Naqib said could be the clearest statement one moderate Sunnites has expressed about.

The companions, he says, unanimously rejected most of the verses {the words of the Messenger (S) and it was because of the interest they discovered in rejecting them such as sharing portion of Dhawi al-Qurba and that of Mu'allafa Qulubuhum.[^208]}

[^208]: Sharh Nahj al-Balaghah, Ibn Abi al-Hadid, vol. 12, pp 82-90

Imam criticized this approach while making a detailed speech and at the same time showed his commitment to the tradition. Referring to the fact that for resolving one problem there has been given different views and the ruler has proved all those views, he says this is when their God is One, their prophet is one and their Book is one.

https://www.shiavault.com/books/history-of-the-caliphs/chapters/5-imam-ali-s-imamate/

Sunni stance

Q 15: Is it permissible to give Zakah (obligatory charity) to Al-Mu'allafatu Qulubuhum (those whose hearts are inclined to Islam)? Who exactly are they?

A: It is permissible to give Zakah to Al-Mu'allafatu Qulubuhum as stated in the Qur'an. They are the leading figures who are followed by their people, (Part No. 10; Page No. 28) and it is hoped that they will profess Islam or have their Iman strengthened if they are already Muslims or that they may guide their peers to Islam. Also, they may be given Zakah to avert their harm.May Allah grant us success. May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions.

https://www.al-feqh.com/en/al-mu-allafatu-qulubuhum

• Advanced Member

The charities are only for the poor and the needy, and those employed to collect them, and those whose hearts are to be reconciled, and for [the freedom of] the slaves and the debtors, and in the way of Allah, and for the traveller. [This is] an ordinance from Allah, and Allah is all-knowing, all-wise. (60)

۞ إِنَّمَا الصَّدَقَاتُ لِلْفُقَرَاءِ وَالْمَسَاكِينِ وَالْعَامِلِينَ عَلَيْهَا وَالْمُؤَلَّفَةِ قُلُوبُهُمْ وَفِي الرِّقَابِ وَالْغَارِمِينَ وَفِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ وَابْنِ السَّبِيلِ ۖ فَرِيضَةً مِّنَ اللَّهِ ۗ وَاللَّهُ عَلِيمٌ حَكِيمٌ ‎﴿٦٠

https://tanzil.net/#9:60

The jurists have different views on who is meant by the component of hearts. Some of their views are:

Infidels
Some jurists believe that the composition of hearts only includes infidels, through which the Imam of the Muslims makes them optimistic about Islam and draws their attention to cooperation in jihad and struggle. Sheikh Mofid is a supporter of this view. Mohaghegh Hili and Sheikh Tusi have also limited it to infidels. [6]

Hypocrites
Another view is that the principle of composing hearts only includes the hypocrites in order to soften their hearts and stop hypocrisy. The first martyr in the book "Bayan" has attributed this promise to Ibn Junaid Scafi. Evidence of this view is that the Prophet of Islam ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) "composed the hearts" of hypocrites such as Abu Sufyan. Scafi considers the author of hearts to be exclusive to the hypocrites. [7]

Weak Muslims of faith
Another statement is that the principle of compiling hearts includes Muslims who acknowledge the monotheism of Allah and the prophethood of the Prophet of Islam ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)), but have a weak and shaky faith. Sheikh Yusuf Bahrani, the owner of "Al-Hada'iq al-nadirah", is a supporter of this promise. In his book, he has quoted some hadiths of the Imams to confirm his opinion. [8]

Infidels, hypocrites and Muslims
Another theory is that the principle of compiling hearts is the principle of "general" and includes infidels, hypocrites, weak Muslims, border Muslims and the like. This theory has more supporters among the jurists, including Imami, Sunni and Zaydi jurists. [9]

Payment source
For this economic support, Islam has considered a part of Zakat, which is taken from the Muslim people as an Islamic tax. قرآن هشت مورد برای مصرف زکات بیان کرده که یکی از آنها تألیف قلوب است: «إِنَّمَا الصَّدَقَاتُ لِلْفُقَرَاءِ وَ الْمَسَاکِینِ وَ الْعَامِلِینَ عَلَیْهَا وَ الْمُؤَلَّفَةِ قُلُوبُهُمْ وَ فِی الرِّقَابِ وَ الْغَارِمِینَ وَ فِی سَبِیلِ اللهِ وَ ابْنِ السَّبِیلِ فَرِیضَةً مِنَ الله وَ اللهُ عَلِیمٌ حَکِیمٌ؛[۱۰ ] (Indeed, zakat is for the poor, the needy, the poor, and those in charge of collecting zakat, and the authorship of hearts, and the freedom of slaves, debtors, and bankrupts, and for the sake of God and Ibn Sabil.) But there are differences of opinion on how each of the titles should be addressed. [11]

Survival or abrogation of the sentence
There is disagreement as to whether this case was specific only to the time of the Messenger of Allah ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) or is constant in all times. [12] According to some Shiite jurists, citing narrations, It remains strong. [13] They argue that this issue was accepted and practiced until the last moment during the life of the Prophet and the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) did not say anything in its abrogation; There is also no evidence of abrogation it from the Qur'an and Sunnah. Therefore, its survival must be ruled. [14]

Of course, Sheikh Tusi believes that the share of the component of their hearts has been deducted from zakat and the reason for it is the absence of Imam (عليه السلام). [15] Fazel Miqdad has attributed this matter to Shiite scholars. [16]

https://fa.wikishia.net/view/تألیف_قلوب

• Advanced Member

The Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him and his progeny) used to give this share of zakat to people who needed to draw their hearts to Islam, and these were several classes:

Some of them were Arab aristocrats to whom the Prophet allocated a small amount of wealth to become Muslims. Others were people who converted to Islam but had weak intentions and it was necessary to win their hearts with great forgiveness; Like Abu Sufyan, his son Mu'awiyah, Aina bin Hassan, Aqra bin Habis and Abbas bin Mardas. Others were those who were forgiven in order to convert other Arab men, like them, to Islam.

It seems that the Holy Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him and his progeny) used to give one-sixth of the khums which was his pure property in the first category. Others of the "component of their hearts" were those who, with a certain amount of zakat, won their hearts in order to fight the infidels.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him and his progeny) from the time of the revelation of the above-mentioned verse, until he remained in the world, continued this method with those whose hearts should be attracted, "the component of their hearts", The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not allow anyone after him to remove this share.

But when Abu Bakr came to power, these people went to him to receive their share, as in the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him and his progeny). Abu Bakr also wrote a decree that they receive their share. They showed the order of Abu Bakr to Umar to testify, but Umar tore up the order of Abu Bakr and said 

104 We do not need you. God has glorified Islam and made us needless. If you convert to Islam, we have nothing to do with you, otherwise, we will answer you with the sword.

They returned to Abu Bakr and said: Are you the caliph or Umar?

Abu Bakr said: God willing, he is the caliph! And thus signed the act of Umar.

http://www.imamalinet.net/fa/Book/View/45373/136425/(5)-اسقاط-سهم-مؤلفة-قلوبهم-

• Forum Administrators
7 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam if that local mosque or Islamic  center is supporting unity between  Muslims you can help that local mosque or Islamic  center although "the people in charge do not agree with your beliefs" but on the other hand they are not supporting anti Shia groups which therefore we can't give any help to Wahabi or Salafi centers & mosques in opposition 

Thank you, Brother. 

• Development Team
On 5/12/2022 at 2:47 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam if that local mosque or Islamic  center is supporting unity between  Muslims you can help that local mosque or Islamic  center although "the people in charge do not agree with your beliefs" but on the other hand they are not supporting anti Shia groups

Salam. Thanks.