Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is it important for Shia Muslims to be able to recite Shahadah?

Rate this topic

• Basic Members
Posted (edited)

Hello, my name is [edit]. I live in [edit].  I am quite new to Islam and I have yet to convert.  I have a question for the Shia members of this site: I realise that, for Sunni Muslims, being able to recite Shahadah is one of their Five Pillars Of Islam.  However, being able to recite Shahadah is not one of Shia Muslims Ten Obligatory Acts - so, with this in mind, do Shia Muslims regard being able to recite Shahadah important?

I am assuming it is important to Shia people as I assume they need to recite it during their conversion ceremony/initiation.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

By the way, I’m very happy to be a member of ShiaChat.com and I look forward to getting to know some of you.

Edited by Hameedeh
Please do not reveal personal information.

• Advanced Member

Salam alaykum.

May Allah bless you.

In Shia Islam, our Shahada is still very important. The difference is that we don't put it as one of the pillars because our actions are what matters most. 

I'm sure you know the Shia Shahada;
اَشْهَدُ اَنْ لا اِلَهَ إِلاَّ اللّهُ - I bear witness that there is no god but Allah
اَشْهَدُ أَنَّ مُحَمَّداً رَسُولُ اللّهِ - I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah
أشهَدُ أَنّ عَلیاً ولی‌ُّالله - I bear witness that Ali is the Vicegerent of Allah

Here are some hadiths about the Shia Shahada:

Allamah Suleiman Qundoozi Hanafi has quoted a Hadeeth of the Holy Prophet (s) in his famous book Yanabee al-Muwaddat quoting Arif Rabbani Sayyed Ali Hamadani’s book “Muwaddat al-Qurba”. The extract of the Hadeeth is that there shall be three lines written on the pillars in praise of the Prophet (s) on the Day of Judgment and Wilayah of ‘Ali (عليه السلام) will be declared in the third statement:

First Line: In the name Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

Second Line: All the praises be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds.

Third Line: There is no God but Allah, Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, Ali is the Waliullah
Yanabee al-Muwaddat, volume 2, page 77, published in Beirut

In Lisan al Meezan Volume 5 page 147, Ibn Hajr al Asqalani whilst writing on ‘Muhammad bin Hameed’ narrates the following from him:

“Hisham bin Abdul Malik summoned from Hejaz to Syria. In a place called Balk I observed something scrawled on a black mountain. When I reached ‘Amr’ I asked if anyone could read what was on the mountain, I was told of an elderly man and I brought him to the mountain and showed him the words. He read them, became surprised and said ‘Bring me something so that I can translate it for you’. I brought something and he translated from the Hebrew:

‘There is only One true God,
Muhamamd is his Messenger,
Ali is his Wali

These words have been written by Musa bin Imran’..”.

And here are some hadiths about its importance:

عنه، عن أبي يوسف يعقوب بن يزيد، عن المبارك، عن عبد الله بن جبلة، عن حميدة، عن جابر، عن أبي جعفر عليه السلام قال: قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله: التاركون ولاية علي، المنكرون لفضله، المظاهرون أعداءه، خارجون من الاسلام من مات منهم على ذلك

Aba Jafar Imam Mohammad Baqir (عليه السلام) said that the Prophet (saww) said,

"Those who leave the Wilayah of Imam Ali (عليه السلام), those who deny His mertis, those who manifest/showcase enmity towards Him are out of the fold of Islam, if they die upon that"

[Source: al-Mahasin, Vol. 1, Pg. 186]

Hadith 3:

عن علي بن الحسين بن علي ع قال إن الله افترض خمسا و لم يفترض إلا حسنا جميلا الصلاة و الزكاة و الحج و الصيام و ولايتنا أهل البيت فعمل الناس بأربع و استخفوا بالخامسة و الله لا يستكملوا الأربع حتى يستكملوها بالخامسة

Narrated that Ali bin al-Husain (ع) said, "Allah has made five duties mandatory and everything that Allah makes mandatory is beautiful; Salaat, Zakaat, Hajj, Fasting and the Wilayat of AhlulBait (ع). People obeyed/acted on the first four and ignored the fifth one (Wilayat). I swear to Allah that the first four are not complete without the fifth one (Wilayat)."

[Source: Bihar Al Anwar Vol. 23 Pg.105]

I hope these helped. May Allah bless, forgive, guide, help and protect you and your family and grant you Jannat Al-Firdaus.

Ma3salam.

Guest Psychological Warfare

for Sunni Muslims, being able to recite Shahadah is one of their Five Pillars Of Islam.  However, being able to recite Shahadah is not one of Shia Muslims Ten Obligatory Acts -

By five pillars you mean Islamic Acts. ( Furu -al Din )

The belief / acknowledgement of Imamat is in our Fundamental of Faith. (Usul Al-Din)

http://wahidkhorasani.com/Data/Books/Usul al-Din(1).pdf

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Guest Psychological Warfare said:

By five pillars you mean Islamic Acts. ( Furu -al Din )

Salam

The Sunni 'five pillars of Islam' are as follows:

1. Shahada
2. Salah
3. Zakah
4. Sawm
5. Hajj

• Advanced Member
On 5/3/2022 at 9:01 PM, IslamPride said:

Hello, my name is [edit]. I live in [edit].  I am quite new to Islam and I have yet to convert.  I have a question for the Shia members of this site: I realise that, for Sunni Muslims, being able to recite Shahadah is one of their Five Pillars Of Islam.  However, being able to recite Shahadah is not one of Shia Muslims Ten Obligatory Acts - so, with this in mind, do Shia Muslims regard being able to recite Shahadah important?

I am assuming it is important to Shia people as I assume they need to recite it during their conversion ceremony/initiation.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

By the way, I’m very happy to be a member of ShiaChat.com and I look forward to getting to know some of you.

Reciting Shahada is part of usool-e-Deen. We have to recite it and declare through it the oneness of Allah, the prophethood of Prophet Muhammad (SAAWW) and vicegerency of Ahlebait (عليه السلام).

• Basic Members
On 5/7/2022 at 12:17 AM, -Rejector- said:

Salam alaykum.

May Allah bless you.

In Shia Islam, our Shahada is still very important. The difference is that we don't put it as one of the pillars because our actions are what matters most. 

I'm sure you know the Shia Shahada;
اَشْهَدُ اَنْ لا اِلَهَ إِلاَّ اللّهُ - I bear witness that there is no god but Allah
اَشْهَدُ أَنَّ مُحَمَّداً رَسُولُ اللّهِ - I bear witness that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah
أشهَدُ أَنّ عَلیاً ولی‌ُّالله - I bear witness that Ali is the Vicegerent of Allah

Here are some hadiths about the Shia Shahada:

And here are some hadiths about its importance:

I hope these helped. May Allah bless, forgive, guide, help and protect you and your family and grant you Jannat Al-Firdaus.

Ma3salam.

Thank you so much, -Rejector-.  that helps alot.

• Basic Members
On 5/7/2022 at 3:27 AM, Borntowitnesstruth said:

Reciting Shahada is part of usool-e-Deen. We have to recite it and declare through it the oneness of Allah, the prophethood of Prophet Muhammad (SAAWW) and vicegerency of Ahlebait (عليه السلام).

Thank you so much, Borntowitnesstruth.  

• Advanced Member

Hi!

Reciting the shahadah is the bare minimum for one to be considered muslim, irrespective of denomination. So it is very much important for Shias to be able to recite it. :grin:

• Basic Members
On 5/12/2022 at 8:26 PM, Mohamad Abdel-Hamid said:

Hi!

Reciting the shahadah is the bare minimum for one to be considered muslim, irrespective of denomination. So it is very much important for Shias to be able to recite it. :grin:

Thank you very much Mohamad Abdel-Hamid. thats helps alot.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Salam and welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it here.

Reciting Shahadah is so important that shia Islam does not list it in the Furu al-Din (ten ancillaries of the religion).

RATHER we list it in the five Usul al-Din (ROOTS/FOUNDATIONS of faith) in shia Islam. And belief and bearing witness of TAWHID and NUBUWWAH are two of these five ROOTS.

For the Shi'a, the principles of the religion consist in

1- TAWHID (monotheism-oneness of God),

2- the NUBUWWAH (Prophethood of the Prophet Muhammad (s) ),

3- MAAD (the Resurrection-belief in the hereafter),

4- ADALAH (Justice of Allah) and

5- IMAMAH (leadership of the imams of ahlulbayt).

And one has to believe in all of these foundations in order to be a shia Muslim.

And yes, we recite the Shahadah always, especially in the TASHAHHUD part of our daily salah/prayers.

اَشْهَدُ اَنْ لا اِلهَ اِلاَّ اللّهُ وَحْدَهُ لا شَریکَ لَهُ وَ اَشْهَدُ اَنَّ مُحَمَّداً عَبْدُهُ وَ رَسُولُهُ، اَللّهُمَّ صَلِّ عَلی مُحَمَّدٍ وَ الِ مُحَمَّدٍ

Transliteration: Ashhad-u, an la ilah-a illAllah, wahdah-u la sharik-a lah-u wa ashhad-u anna Muhammad-an ‘abduh-u wa Rasuluh, Allahumm-a sall-i ‘ala Muhammad wa al-i Muhammad.

Meaning in English: I bear witness that there is no god worthy of worship except God, the One, with no partner. I bear witness that Muhammad (s) is the servant of God and His Messenger (s). O God, send blessings upon Muhammad (s) and the progeny of Muhammad (s).

I hope it helps.

Welcome again to shiachat.

p.s. the underlined words are clickable links for further short read on wikishia.

Edited by islamicmusic