In the Name of God بسم الله

How to remove najasat

Rate this topic

Guest Anon110

Guest Anon110

Salams to the brethen of shiachat! hoping this message meets you with nothing but goodness.

I had a quick question. Generally when my clothes become najis (specifically through semen) I've just thrown them into the washing machine, after the najasa has dried. Thinking that'll do the job and purify the clothes again.

However I've been told, that the intrinsic impurity must be removed before doing such a thing. Does that mean all the clothes I've washed are still najis? Also what about the clothing racks that I'd use to dry them off. Because I'm not sure if the najis areas came in contact with the racks, or whether they were hanging off. Neither do I know whether the wetness was such that it transferred.

Maybe it's just too much wuswas lol. But I would appreciate if someone could explain In simple terms, how should I remove the najasa from the clothes before I wash them in the machine again, once and for all lol.

Do I run it under kurr water once or twice (meaning from underneath a running tap)? And how do I remove the najasa without entering a state of janaba. Does touching the semen matter on the clothes make me enter a state of janaba? Or can I simply just wash my hands under the tap and assume the najasa has gone?

And do I need to wring the clothes or is that only in the case of qalil water? Ie. Using a cup or a jug.

I've ran out of clothes to wear since realising this, so would appreciate swift and simple answer for dummies like me haha!

God bless, looking forward to your responses!

• Advanced Member

You're fine, the washing machine is cleaning both the initial najis substance and purifying it by rinsing it with a substantial amount of water. 

Touching semen does not cause janaba, washing your hands is fine. 

Guest Anon110
1 hour ago, Taleb said:

You're fine, the washing machine is cleaning both the initial najis substance and purifying it by rinsing it with a substantial amount of water. 

Touching semen does not cause janaba, washing your hands is fine. 

Thank you so much dear brother! What if in the case when the washing machine is pre loaded with detergent satchels (the kind that have liquid in them and pop open under pressure releasing the contents of the detergent) Isn't that water going to be mixed and thus invalidate the purification? 

Alhamdulillah that puts me at so much ease, I thought as much, least recently.

• Advanced Member
5 minutes ago, Guest Anon110 said:

Thank you so much dear brother! What if in the case when the washing machine is pre loaded with detergent satchels (the kind that have liquid in them and pop open under pressure releasing the contents of the detergent) Isn't that water going to be mixed and thus invalidate the purification? 

Alhamdulillah that puts me at so much ease, I thought as much, least recently.

Nope, because running water (from a tap, say) cannot be made najis.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Taleb said:

That is only if you are sure that the intrinsic impurity is removed and the kurr water reaches all the clothes and impure parts of the washing machine. The kurr water doesn't reach everything in my washing machine.

1 hour ago, Taleb said:

Nope, because running water (from a tap, say) cannot be made najis.

No, if the water becomes mixed with detergent such that it becomes mixed water, then the mixed water becomes impure. Also, tap water only remains as kurr water if it is connected to the kurr water supply. Once it gets disconnected, the tap water is no longer kurr water.

Edited by Muhammad A-H

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2022 at 11:50 AM, Guest Anon110 said:

Maybe it's just too much wuswas lol. But I would appreciate if someone could explain In simple terms, how should I remove the najasa from the clothes before I wash them in the machine again, once and for all lol.

Do I run it under kurr water once or twice (meaning from underneath a running tap)? And how do I remove the najasa without entering a state of janaba. Does touching the semen matter on the clothes make me enter a state of janaba? Or can I simply just wash my hands under the tap and assume the najasa has gone?

You should just purify the clothes at a tap before putting them in the washing machine. One wash is sufficient to purify clothes that touched semen, two washes is necessary to purify clothes that touched urine upon obligatory precaution according to Al-Sayyid Al-Sistani. Touching the semen does not cause janabah.

On 4/27/2022 at 11:50 AM, Guest Anon110 said:

And do I need to wring the clothes or is that only in the case of qalil water? Ie. Using a cup or a jug.

If you used qalil water, then it is necessary to wring the clothes. If you used kurr water, then whether or not you have to wring depends on your marja'. Al-Sayyid Al-Sistani says it is not necessary. Al-Sayyid Khamenei says it is necessary upon obligatory precaution.

Edited by Muhammad A-H

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Muhammad A-H said:

That is only if you are sure that the intrinsic impurity is removed and the kurr water reaches all the clothes and impure parts of the washing machine. The kurr water doesn't reach everything in my washing machine.

If the washing machine was pure before washing the clothes, then I think that qalil water can also be used to purify the clothes. However, since there is intrinsic impurity on the clothes, at least two or three washes would be necessary and the clothes have to be wrung after each washing (e.g., by making the clothes spin in the washing machine). And detergent cannot be used until the clothes are purified.

Edited by Muhammad A-H

Guest Anon110
15 minutes ago, Muhammad A-H said:

If the washing machine was pure before washing the clothes, then I think that qalil water can also be used to purify the clothes. However, since there is intrinsic impurity on the clothes, at least two or three washes would be necessary and the clothes have to be wrung after each washing (e.g., by making the clothes spin in the washing machine). And detergent cannot be used until the clothes are purified.

Thank you for your very detailed response! I guess that makes sense. What about in the case I've previously washed clothes in the washing machine with the intrinsic purity still on it, maybe a few weeks ago now. Does that make my washing machine impure? And how would i purify it? Since there's been several other washes in between the last time I washed those clothes and obviously each time a substantial amount of water wouldve ran through the machine plus the water would be kurr since its attached to the main water source.

Also regarding the removal of the impurity, I'm guessing running it under the tap would be much more easier and waste less water than to run a load 2 or 3 times without detergent.

To help my simple mind a little further, could you explain step by step what I need to do in order that I can remove the impurity before loading it into the washing machine? And having done so, would I be safe to wash it with the detergent tablets in the machine?

And how do you mean the kurr water only remains kurr unless disconnected from the water supply? As in for example, i run the tap, close it and then open it again?

Just some background, I'm a follower of Sayed Khamene'i, maybe that'll help in answering my question too haha.

Many thanks in advance 

Guest Anon110
4 hours ago, Muhammad A-H said:

Salams brother, I just started overthinking this lol. I washed my clothes thinking I didn't put a najis article of clothing in there, because I could not feel, see or smell any najasah on the said item, but then i remember some time ago one of the articles of clothing came in contact with najasa. 

After realising that, I was thinking to take it out. But I had decided to leave the clothes in and put it on rinse, which according to the company of my washing machine, the rinsing take place 3 times.

And I see it is actively spins in between and during the wash. 

Only difference is I didn't place any detergent or soap in this time and it's purely water.

Will that suffice to assume all the clothes will be pure after the rinse cycle finishes?

As the spinning is quite fast too, so would that suffice for wringing?

Again, when I put the article of clothing in I saw no traces of any najasa, or any smell or colour to suggest it. but based off of what i remembered it did come in contact with najasa previous to washing.

Also I didn't check for any remnants of the washing tablet, because it dissolves when it makes contact with water, so I assume it wouldn't be mixed with it anyway as i couldnt see any bubbles in the machine either that comes with detergent or soap usage. And the box states they melt too.

So this second wash would be purely water, and unmixed.

So it should suffice right?

Jazakallah kheir 

• Advanced Member
On 5/1/2022 at 1:34 PM, Guest Anon110 said:

Also regarding the removal of the impurity, I'm guessing running it under the tap would be much more easier and waste less water than to run a load 2 or 3 times without detergent.

To help my simple mind a little further, could you explain step by step what I need to do in order that I can remove the impurity before loading it into the washing machine? And having done so, would I be safe to wash it with the detergent tablets in the machine?

You can wash the clothes at the tap by washing away the intrinsic impurity and making the tap water reach all the impure areas. Afterwards according to Al-Sayyid Khamenei, it is necessary to wring the clothes upon obligatory precaution.

The used water that is wrung out of the clothes would most likely be impure and make other things impure, but the water remaining inside the clothes after wringing is pure.

It is not necessary to wash clothes that have touched urine twice with kurr water according to Al-Sayyid Khamenei. With qalil water, two washes is necessary.

And how would i purify it?

To purify the washing machine, if you wash all the impure areas with kurr water and then drain the used water, the washing machine will be pure according to Al-Sayyid Khamenei. If you use qalil water, three washes would be necessary and it is necessary to drain the water after each time.

Thank you for your very detailed response! I guess that makes sense. What about in the case I've previously washed clothes in the washing machine with the intrinsic purity still on it, maybe a few weeks ago now. Does that make my washing machine impure?

I am not very knowledgeable regarding the rulings in regards to this so I can't give a response. You can send your question to leader.ir, which is the official website of Al-Sayyid Khamenei.

• Advanced Member
On 5/1/2022 at 5:31 PM, Guest Anon110 said:

Salams brother, I just started overthinking this lol. I washed my clothes thinking I didn't put a najis article of clothing in there, because I could not feel, see or smell any najasah on the said item, but then i remember some time ago one of the articles of clothing came in contact with najasa. 

After realising that, I was thinking to take it out. But I had decided to leave the clothes in and put it on rinse, which according to the company of my washing machine, the rinsing take place 3 times.

And I see it is actively spins in between and during the wash. 

Only difference is I didn't place any detergent or soap in this time and it's purely water.

Will that suffice to assume all the clothes will be pure after the rinse cycle finishes?

As the spinning is quite fast too, so would that suffice for wringing?

Again, when I put the article of clothing in I saw no traces of any najasa, or any smell or colour to suggest it. but based off of what i remembered it did come in contact with najasa previous to washing.

Also I didn't check for any remnants of the washing tablet, because it dissolves when it makes contact with water, so I assume it wouldn't be mixed with it anyway as i couldnt see any bubbles in the machine either that comes with detergent or soap usage. And the box states they melt too.

So this second wash would be purely water, and unmixed.

So it should suffice right?

Salam,

Q 291: Do the clothes washed in a fully automatic domestic washing machine become pure or not? The mode of functioning of this machine is as follows: Initially when the clothes are washed in it with detergent, some water and foam of the detergent spreads on the glass door of the machine and the rubber surrounding it. After this, the used water is drawn while the foam of the detergent remains on the glass door and the rubber surrounding it. And, at later stages, the machine washes the clothes thrice with qalīl water and then the used water is driven out. Please explain whether the clothes washed in this manner are pure or not?
A: As far as purifying clothes in a washing machine is concerned, if, after removal of the inherently najis material, the clothes are washed once with water connected to kurr, they are purified. The same ruling applies if you use qalīl water provided that the inner part of machine is pure before putting clothes inside the machine, clothes are washed twice with qalīl water and the used water is drained to the normal extent after each washing.

Rules on Purity, Rules of Najis Substances, https://www.leader.ir/en/book/32/Practical-Laws-of-Islam