Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

English as a second language

Rate this topic

notme

• Moderators

Salam alaikum

I'm working as an assistant teacher now, and one of my students, whose native language is not English, doesn't read very well. The student is in seventh grade. (About 12-13 years old.) 

The student does get additional reading instruction, but is there any way I can facilitate learning to read better for this student? 

This is a really friendly and socially motivated child, who seems embarrassed by any attention drawn to his academic difficulties. He just wants everyone around him to be laughing and happy. 

• Advanced Member

Salam you can help him indirectly by using his socialibity & motivation likewise asking him to present likewise a stand up comedian or engages him any other funny activity which needs reading & speaking in English & do not mention to him that is related to his homework

• Advanced Member

Have simple English conversation with him.

You become a stranger and start having a conversation with him - see how he goes. Just like we sometimes have conversation with strangers. 

Teach him basic of English grammar. Ask him to read something to check his pronouncing. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Meedy said:

You become a stranger and start having a conversation with him - see how he goes. Just like we sometimes have conversation with strangers. 

He speaks well, almost unaccented, even.

He's a great kid and I want to see him succeed and have fun. This is a drama class, so it could be fun for him since he loves to perform. But it also involves a lot of reading, which could be frustrating. This guy is so used to failure, but still so positive in his overall outlook, I feel like just one great success could be life changing. If nothing else, it would be a confidence boost. 

• Advanced Member

@notme Unfortunately I am not good with Drama and hated drama classes because I was shy, fearful of embarrassment and not a social person :(  so don't think my advice would be useful for him

He just has to read more, practice pronouncing and acting at home E.g. Record himself and look at it, see what's he doing good and area needs to be improved.

• Advanced Member

You said he speaks well. Why not writing down one of your conversations with the kid and ask him to read the conversation from the paper? You need to spend some time with him outside the class maybe 20min-30min and ask him to read your recent conversations from the paper. Gradually, you can change it to a paragraph of a book, an article, etc. You can write the conversations, starting with a short one, and give it to him to read that conversation from the paper.

You sound like a responsible teacher