Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Ghusl

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

As salamu alaykum, I don't recall when or where, but I think I've heard from someone that Ayatollah Sistani says you can wash your body as a whole during ghusl.  If anyone has proof for this can they give it to me?  Thank you 

• Advanced Member

Wa Alaykum Al-Salam

According to Al-Sayyid Al-Sistani, in sequential ghusl it is obligatory after washing the head and neck to wash the rest of the body and it is a recommended precaution to wash the right side of the body then the left side.

أُولاهما: الترتيب، والأحوط وجوباً فيه أن يغسل أوّلاً تمام الرأس والرقبة ثُمَّ بقيّة البدن، والأحوط الأولى أن يغسل أوّلاً تمام النصف الأيمن ثُمَّ تمام ...النصف الأيسر

https://www.sistani.org/arabic/book/23720/3624/

Ruling 360. In sequential ghusl, one must – based on obligatory precaution – first wash with the intention of ghusl the entire head and neck and then the entire body; and it is better to first wash the right side of the body, then the left. In the event that one intentionally or due to being negligent in learning the laws of ghusl does not wash the entire head and neck before washing the body, then based on obligatory precaution his ghusl is invalid. Furthermore, based on obligatory precaution, when performing ghusl, it is not sufficient to make the intention of ghusl when moving the head, neck, or body while they are already under the flow of water; rather, the part that one wants to perform ghusl on – in the event that it is already under the flow of water – must be taken out from under the flow of water and then washed with the intention of ghusl.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2166/

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Muhammad A-H said:

Wa Alaykum Al-Salam

According to Al-Sayyid Al-Sistani, in sequential ghusl it is obligatory after washing the head and neck to wash the rest of the body and it is a recommended precaution to wash the right side of the body then the left side.

أُولاهما: الترتيب، والأحوط وجوباً فيه أن يغسل أوّلاً تمام الرأس والرقبة ثُمَّ بقيّة البدن، والأحوط الأولى أن يغسل أوّلاً تمام النصف الأيمن ثُمَّ تمام ...النصف الأيسر

https://www.sistani.org/arabic/book/23720/3624/

Ruling 360. In sequential ghusl, one must – based on obligatory precaution – first wash with the intention of ghusl the entire head and neck and then the entire body; and it is better to first wash the right side of the body, then the left. In the event that one intentionally or due to being negligent in learning the laws of ghusl does not wash the entire head and neck before washing the body, then based on obligatory precaution his ghusl is invalid. Furthermore, based on obligatory precaution, when performing ghusl, it is not sufficient to make the intention of ghusl when moving the head, neck, or body while they are already under the flow of water; rather, the part that one wants to perform ghusl on – in the event that it is already under the flow of water – must be taken out from under the flow of water and then washed with the intention of ghusl.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2166/

So is it okay if I wash my whole body rather than starting with a particular side?

• Advanced Member

Yes, but not in the bathroom we have. Let's say you have a swimming pool or something like that, then yes you can do Ghusl in that. The condition is that water should cover whole body at once. Obviously, it's not possible with regular bathrooms we have at home, but in swimming pool it's possible.