Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

I saw my friend stealing

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

Tell the friend to give the money back to whoever he / she stole it from.

If they refuse to do that, don't hang around with them anymore. They're not trustworthy. You don't want to be around untrustworthy people because eventually they will end up doing something bad to you. 

Should I tell my boss?

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Kalepaceh said:

Should I tell my boss?

I would go to your friend first. If he/she refuses to return the money, then, yes, you have a responsibility to do that. 

I highly doubt your boss would try to prosecute over $20. Most of the time it's not worth it, but at least the store would be aware of the situation. 

Also, as others have said, it doesn't matter if the theft was from a person or a store. 

I fully realize that there is this misconception out in the community that as long as you steal from a store / corporation that is not owned by Muslims then it is ok. If you read the Resalat of any marjaa, and I read this in the book of Sayyid Sistani 'A Guide of Practice for Muslims in the West', they are very clear on the point that theft is theft, regardless of who you are stealing from. It is haram. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

• Moderators
On 1/27/2022 at 4:37 PM, Kalepaceh said:

Should I tell my boss?

Does your friend also work at the store? And if yes, is there a chance that someone else would be blamed for the theft and be unjustly fired? 

Obviously you should confront your friend about what you saw before doing anything else. Hopefully it was a misunderstanding, not theft at all. 

You don't owe loyalty to a company or employer, but you do have a responsibility as a decent person to prevent unnecessary harm to others when you can. 

• Advanced Member

IF you value your friendship you will want the best for the person.  So talking to him about what you saw is a good idea, trying to find out what the problem is that caused hem to behave that way.

In this kind of situation how and when you talk with your friend (and / or the boss) is offten hard and we need to ask God for wisdom to know the best way.  I use a verse in the Injil as a prayer in these times:  It is a prayer Paul the  Apostle used - See Philippians chapter 1

And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, 10 so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, 11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.

• 2 weeks later...