Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

How to find our personal unique purpose in life?

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Assalamualaikum

I read in a book that a person should know his unique purpose and goal in life as soon as possible, and if you can't find it, then pray to God( Allah) so He lets and helps you realise and know exactly what your purpose is.

Can brothers and sisters give me their own understanding, thoughts, and realizations through their life on this.

Maybe provide me with Ahadith of Ahle Bayt(عليه السلام) or Ayats of Quran with some explaination on it.

(Also please tell me your goals and objectives, small or big, short term and long term, as I believe we can always learn and get motivated from eachother.)

JazakAllah!!

• Advanced Member

Wa alaikum assalam,

Dear brother,

I'll give my two cents on it. For me, it was a voice from within. As far as the goal of life is concerned for me, I have realized that I don't want to seek worldly success much. For me, my purpose in life is seeking Divine proximity. I just hope to earn enough to give my family a comfortable standard of living, because this too is a divinely placed responsibility upon me. I don't want much fame or riches. No amount of worldly success, wealth or fame can equal knowing that my Creator (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), and his Hujjah (aj) upon me is pleased with me. For me this is my aim, my purpose in life, my nature,my personality, the fitrah upon which I am created. I have found the meaning in life in the Qur'anic verse, "We created the Jinn and Humankind, only so that they may Worship Us (51:56)." It didn't take any philosophising. I didn't make any effort to find this out. This realization just happened automatically, out of ghayb, you may say. People might think that I have no 'ambition' in life, am not driven, or that I am a mediocrity who fears getting into the grind. But this is how it is for me.

As for the more worldly bit, I am currently pursuing my doctoral studies, and intended to pursue a career in the academia.

Wishing you all the best for Here and Hereafter!

Edited by AbdusSibtayn

• Advanced Member

As salaamun aleikum,

a person should know his unique purpose and goal in life as soon as possible"

This is absolutely true, however, i see a problem that has emerged, where parents dictate to the child what THEY want the child to become, and while i dont doubt these parents have good intentions, it many times sets the child up for pursuing a career they are not happy in or drawn to. There needs to be more acceptance and correct guidance and nurturing of children in this area, but i also dont think that it should be encouraged for children to pursue education or careers that literally wont be able to feed and house them in their adult life..So its something that each family needs to address based on their own variables and the maturity of all involved..There are so many different fields to pursue, its really (in my opinion) selfish of the parents to demand their child to become only either an engineer, a doctor or a lawyer. Seriously. 

As for me, my objective is to continue to care for my sick and aging parents (medical needs as well as maintaining their house and property/farm) for as long as theyre still alive.

When they pass, im considering unofficial/private islamic studies as im currently too stressed and pressed for time to take on other commitments, especially school with all the study involved as well as having to stick to a schedule. I need to be able to drop everything at any time for my parents and that definitely conflicts with committing to a schedule for me.

Other than that, jihad un nafs in all aspects is a huge enough plan for me. (I struggle daily to become the type of Muslim i should be and not who i was prior to my conversion 12 years ago, which is VERY different from who i hope to be someday, in sha Allah.) 

These 2 tasks, parents and my own nafs, are very time consuming and very trying on me emotionally and spiritually. At the end of the day, there is not much left of me for pursuing anything else.

Prior to my parents  health and aging, i was pursuing an education and subsequent career in environmental studies. If i was to reenter the work force, it would need to be in that sort of domain as nature, animals, working and improving the land, etc is what I am happiest at,is my passion and is how i am closest to Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). Ive known this ever since i was a small child but unfortunately wasted many years wandering and doing nothing with myself. Truly a waste of life and a squandering of blessing:(

At least now, i know i am of benefit to my parents and am on the best path i can currently be islamically without expecting unrealistic and fantastic works from myself.

In sha Allah you find your passion.

• Advanced Member

Salam. It helps to take Allah more seriously, like actually listen to Him more. Take avoiding sin more seriously and pursue halal more eagerly. And then orient yourself to be more selfless and think about what special thing you have to offer with what Allah has already given you whether it be a talent, ability, resource, or a special concern that He planted in your heart.

Personally, I had a less than ideal experience with the education system where I live so I want to fight that issue. I'm not a talented academic or a gifted teacher, but I have a deep drive to right this wrong so just from that I can have a purpose in this dunya. That's the dunya, for the akhira my purpose is Houris.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Basic Members

As salaam wa aleikum,

I don't think we have a unique personal propose on life, and this lecture from Khalil Jaffer convinced me:

It is very interesting!