Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Purifying

Rate this topic

Guest Syed Maaz

Guest Syed Maaz

Salam everyone, Can someone please explain the simple meaning of qalil and kurr water as this ruling is becoming difficult for me day by day. So basically sometimes some drops of urine come out in my pants and sometimes i have no spare clothes. So i decide to wash my pants with water and i wash the impure area with water. Please someone tell me if this is fine otherwise this will become a huge problem for me. Your help will be appreciated 

• Advanced Member

Salam

Ruling 14. Kurr water is an amount of water that fills a container which has dimensions [i.e. length, breadth, and depth] totalling thirty-six hand spans(1),14 and this is equivalent to approximately 384 litres.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2117/

Ruling 23. Qalīl water is water that does not gush from the earth and is less than kurr.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2118/

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2139/

https://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa2662

• Advanced Member

Salam,

If the urine dries and no traces remain (as if it is gone), then you can purify it with qalil water by pouring water just onto the impure areas, then separating the used water (i.e., through wringing, wiping the area with tissues, etc.) then pouring the qalil water again onto the impure areas as well as onto the impure water of the first washing, and then separating the used water afterwards. The separated used water is impure according to most scholars.

As for purifying impure things that urine has not touched, if only the exterior is impure or if they are objects that absorb water and it is possible to bring the water out (i.e., clothes, thick hair, etc.), then it is possible to purify these by pouring the qalil water on the impure areas once and to separate the used water afterwards. Otherwise, it is not possible to purify them with qalil water (such as purifying the internal areas of rice and soap).

For example, when purifying the floor that was made impure by something other than urine, then after removing the intrinsic impurity and other impurities like impure liquids (i.e., with the use of tissues), you can pour water until it reaches the impure areas and until all the used water moves a bit off the impure areas, then the original impurity of the floor will be purified (so the floor will no longer be first mutanajjis).

However, the used water remains impure (second mutanajjis) according to most scholars and whatever it touches becomes impure (third mutanajjis according to Al-Sayyid Al-Sistani, second mutanajjis according to Al-Sayyid Khamenei). Third mutanajjis things do not make other things impure according to Al-Sayyid Al-Sistani.

However, if you want to purify those areas, then according to some scholars they need to be washed separately. However, according to Al-Sayyid Al-Sistani, this is not necessary and separating the used water (like with a towel) is sufficient to purify those areas on the condition that the impure water is connected to the original impure area of the floor and did not disconnect previously. So when purifying the original impure area of the floor, if water splashes off of the impure areas and disconnects from them, then whatever this splash of water touches must be washed separately.

مسألة 467: الأرض الصلبة أو المفروشة بالآجر أو الصخر أو الزفت أو نحوها يمكن تطهيرها بالماء القليل إذا جرى عليها، لكن مجمع الغسالة يبقى نجساً إلّا مع انفصال الغسالة عنه ولو بسحبها بخرقة أو نحوها فيحكم بطهارته أيضاً.

https://www.sistani.org/arabic/book/23720/4618/

Ruling 174. If ground that is paved with stone or brick, or hard ground that does not absorb water, becomes impure, it can be purified with qalīl water; however, one must pour water over it to the extent that it flows. And if the water that is poured over it does not disappear down holes in the ground but instead gathers somewhere, then in order to purify that place, the gathered water must be removed with a cloth or a utensil.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2139/

As for purifying clothes made impure by urine with kurr water, there are various different opinions. The strictest opinion I know of, which is also the opinion of Al-Sayyid Al-Khoei, is that you must wash the impure areas twice with kurr water and it is necessary to separate the used water after each washing.

The opinion of Al-Sayyid Al-Sistani is that with running water (i.e., a river), one wash is sufficient and it is not necessary to wring. As for kurr water (i.e., tap water that is connected to kurr water), an additional washing is obligatory upon obligatory precaution, which means that you can either follow the precaution or refer to the fatwa of the next most qualified marja'. Separating the used water after each washing is not obligatory.

As for purifying impure things that urine has not touched with kurr water, one wash is sufficient, and, according to some scholars, it is necessary to separate the used water while keeping the used water connected with the kurr water. According to Al-Sayyid Al-Sistani, this is not necessary. However, some objects, like the internal areas of dried liquids (i.e., soap) cannot be purified with kurr water, even if it reaches the impure areas.

When washing things with qalil or kurr water, there are conditions, such as the condition that the water cannot change in colour, taste or smell as a result of contact with the impure areas during the washing and when being separated from the impure areas.

• Advanced Member
On 1/23/2022 at 7:27 PM, Muhammad A-H said:

As for purifying impure things that urine has not touched, if only the exterior is impure or if they are objects that absorb water and it is possible to bring the water out (i.e., clothes, thick hair, etc.), then it is possible to purify these by pouring the qalil water on the impure areas once and to separate the used water afterwards. Otherwise, it is not possible to purify them with qalil water (such as purifying the internal areas of rice and soap).

On 1/23/2022 at 7:27 PM, Muhammad A-H said:

As for purifying impure things that urine has not touched with kurr water, one wash is sufficient, and, according to some scholars, it is necessary to separate the used water while keeping the used water connected with the kurr water. According to Al-Sayyid Al-Sistani, this is not necessary. However, some objects, like the internal areas of dried liquids (i.e., soap) cannot be purified with kurr water, even if it reaches the impure areas.

Utensils have their own rulings.