Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Meaning of 'Knowing' something in Islam. Doubts.

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Salaams,

Please excuse me for my childish question but the doubts regarding this are becoming very difficult for me to deal with. I need help in clarifying them.

I want to understand the meaning of 'knowing' in Islam.

My situation is as follows: 

I did Mutah with a girl who had recently got her Khula done. At the time of the mutah, both of us mistakenly thought that the Iddah might not be applicable to her as she had been physically away from her husband since 4 months and was getting her periods within this duration ascertaining that she is not pregnant. We were unsure about the applicability of the Mutah and hence, we did some further research, but could not find a definite answer and thought the the point of the waiting period is just to ensure that the girl is not pregnant. Therefore, without being completely sure about the applicability, we went ahead and did the Mutah.

However, we found out about a couple of months later that the waiting period is applicable from the day of the Khula regardless of the girl being physically away from the husband or not. We immediately separated and did the Mutah again after her waiting period. Moreover, we had not gone to bed within this period.

Now, I am in love with this girl and want to do Nikah with her but I constantly keep getting doubts that I might be with a girl who is haraam for me forever. Please clear this doubt for me as I love her and want to do Nikah with her but am afraid that the relationship will fall apart because of my doubts. The doubt I have is whether I 'knew' that she was in the waiting period or not. Please help me clear this out...

JazakAllah o Khair!

• Advanced Member

Salam you are halal to each other which  your post shows that she completed her Iddah time completely  .

https://www.islamquest.net/fa/archive/fa8435

https://www.islamquest.net/fa/archive/fa84730

• Moderators
16 hours ago, followerof14 said:

Salaams,

Please excuse me for my childish question but the doubts regarding this are becoming very difficult for me to deal with. I need help in clarifying them.

I want to understand the meaning of 'knowing' in Islam.

My situation is as follows: 

I did Mutah with a girl who had recently got her Khula done. At the time of the mutah, both of us mistakenly thought that the Iddah might not be applicable to her as she had been physically away from her husband since 4 months and was getting her periods within this duration ascertaining that she is not pregnant. We were unsure about the applicability of the Mutah and hence, we did some further research, but could not find a definite answer and thought the the point of the waiting period is just to ensure that the girl is not pregnant. Therefore, without being completely sure about the applicability, we went ahead and did the Mutah.

However, we found out about a couple of months later that the waiting period is applicable from the day of the Khula regardless of the girl being physically away from the husband or not. We immediately separated and did the Mutah again after her waiting period. Moreover, we had not gone to bed within this period.

Now, I am in love with this girl and want to do Nikah with her but I constantly keep getting doubts that I might be with a girl who is haraam for me forever. Please clear this doubt for me as I love her and want to do Nikah with her but am afraid that the relationship will fall apart because of my doubts. The doubt I have is whether I 'knew' that she was in the waiting period or not. Please help me clear this out...

JazakAllah o Khair!

'Knowing' means you are aware of what the proper ruling is. Sin / Haram and it's effects are only applicable to someone who knows the ruling on a specific subject and then intentionally violates it after having this knowledge. It doesn't apply to those who don't know the ruling or who were forced to do it against their will. 

If you did the Mutah, not aware of the fact that Iddah begins from the day of the divorce, regardless of whether she was physically with her husband previous to that, then you did not do a sin, neither is she haram for you forever. So what you did was correct, you ended the Mutah and waited until her iddah was finished before remarrying her was the correct thing to do, given your circumstances. Your marriage is valid (so long as you did the Mutah following all the applicable rules of Sharia) and you are halal for each other. You shouldn't have any doubt about that

At the same time, when a muslim or muslima becomes baligh, and they do taqleed to a marjaa, it is their obligation to familiarize themselves with the rules regarding Salat(prayer), Saum(fasting), Khums(obligatory charity), Hajj, Financial Transactions, and Marriage as much as they can because there are the things that affect people's lives the most. You don't need to learn all the fiqh of the marjaa, but focus on these things. The rules for all these things are in the Resalat (book of legal rulings) of every marjaa that I am aware of, and they are extremely similar, but not 100% the same. All these books are easily available online nowdays, so it is not difficult to find them. Don't think that you have all the knowledge of Islam that you need just by going to the masjid and listening to khutbas and going to Majlis for Muharram, Ramadan, etc. There are many of these ruling that are never covered in these situations. The first word revealed to Prophet Muhammad(p.b.u.h) as part of the Holy Quran was the word 'Iqra', i.e. read. This is a command to read. There is a good reason for that. Salam.