Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

need advice . im having big struggle deciding between 2 different careers .

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Which career is better for my imaan , ibadah , akhirah , getting closer to Allah making him happy with me in this life and next ? city water treatment operator  or fire alarm technician ? I have taken both studying courses in fire alarm technician and water treatment operator . Water treatment operator is a job that cleans city's water distribution in order distribute to the city . fire alarm technician installs and services fire alarms and very commonly fire alarm companies will also work in security alarm too. Which career is better for ibadah ? what do you think ?

• Moderators

Both are good and useful. Which do you enjoy more? 

If you don't prefer one strongly, which has better working hours and conditions? If you do well and get promoted, will you still be doing work that you enjoy? Which has better pay? 

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Which career is better for my imaan , ibadah , akhirah , getting closer to Allah making him happy with me in this life and next ? city water treatment operator  or fire alarm technician ? I have taken both studying courses in fire alarm technician and water treatment operator . Water treatment operator is a job that cleans city's water distribution in order distribute to the city . fire alarm technician installs and services fire alarms and very commonly fire alarm companies will also work in security alarm too. Which career is better for ibadah ? what do you think ?

It's all about your intentions. A clerk with pure and noble intentions is better than a doctor who saves lives, so the specific job isn't what matters in the end. In fact, one of the 313 is a "simple" clerk. 

But if you're going for thawab, I'm not sure. Every time someone drinks water you'd get a good deed for that. And if there's a fire you'd basically save the lives of an entire building. Think about what's more appealing to you and which job will make your life easier. Maybe call a mosque and take a kheera. With good intentions like yours I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

Edited by guest 2025

• Veteran Member
20 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Hadith says that the one who got his Rizq by (working) his hand he is a friend of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى).   It is also stated in literature that getting halal rizq (like those you have stated)  is an ibadah/worship. City Water treatment plant operator seems a good responsibility for providing fresh / clean water for the people.  Fire alarm technician is also seems good as laying the fire alarm system and maintaining it to keep the people safe from any fire event is also good job.

The comparison for the salary, benefits, timings and your own aptitude towards the one suiting yourself are the possible factors that may govern to make a final choice out of the two.

This is my sincere advice based on my professional and life experience. wasalam

Edited by Muslim2010

• Veteran Member

I think the most important factor is co-workers and working environment. And I can tell you that since competition has increased, working environments have become toxic. I am 39 years old and I am ready to retire. Since 2019, I haven't found one place with reasonable co-workers. Constant fighting, harassment, it effects my akhlaq and my faith also. People get worried so much that our kids will marry a non-Muslim and I find this concern ridiculous. If your kids only meet non-Muslims at workplace, everyone shows their worst level of akhlaq at work and I cannot imagine anyone liking anyone in that kind of environment. And blue collar jobs have the most toxic environment. Until few years ago, I used to worry a lot that I am representing Islam to non-Muslims, now I don't care at all. Even if I try, I cannot force myself to care about what kind of image of Islam I am representing and I can tell you they don't care about religion or Islam either. It's just another point they can use to add to the toxicity.  No one should be working in blue collar jobs, not because there's any shame in working these jobs but because of the kind of animals you face everyday while working at those jobs. 

Edited by rkazmi33