Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

How religious were you as a young person?

Rate this topic

Guest Young

Guest Young

How religious did you all used to be as a youth in your teens and 20s, say under the age of maybe 25 or so. How religious should young people strive to be? Obviously the answer is: as much as possible. But i mean in terms of physical action, how much would you deem to be sufficient? 

I am in my late teens but i feel a lot of pressure to have more faith and be a much better Muslim than i am now, to do more nafl more fasts more dhikr more charity more books but sometimes i feel like higher level of faith comes naturally with age rather than stressing and forcing it upon myself.

Im not sure if that makes sense but what I’m trying to say is, i don’t know where to place the bar for my age group. I don’t want to compare myself to other kids my age because then i will get arrogant. And i don’t want to compare myself to the 50 year olds at the masjid either.

• Advanced Member

Unfortunately I was not that religious. I was not aware some of the rules e.g. Ghusl. I was on the wrong path. It was not until someone recommended of Sayed Ammar Nakshwani so watched some of his videos which caused a change in me, trying to work on being on the right path. (I understand, some may not like him).

Do what you can, moderately. Don't exhaust yourself, this will lead to frustration. I wish I could worship God, the ways the Prophets of God and Imams did but its something maybe I can try when I am more older. 

• Veteran Member

I never thought of myself as VERY religious when I was in my teens, but I definitely thought I was more religious than most.  In retrospect, compared to most I was probably VERY religious.  That being said, I've maintained about the same level of religiousness until the past 2-3 years.  With life stresses and stuff, I have unfortunately let myself slip.  Having seen how non-religious people are these days is making it harder for me to be religious as well.  But I'm trying.

• Moderators

How Religious (capital R) or how religious (small r)? 

My level of Religiosity (capital R, rituals and practices associated with a particular organized system) has varied throughout my life, and was pretty low when I was a young adult, but my religion (intrinsic belief) has never changed. 

Guest Phoenix AR

I was not very religious back when young, until 21. But I had faith in a supreme power. I prayed to that power in my sad, lonely and difficult times, but didn't really understand the true meaning of religion. 

• 2 weeks later...