Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Thoughts 2022

Rate this topic

Haji 2003

• Advanced Member
On 1/18/2022 at 6:04 PM, rkazmi33 said:

If you are a resident alim and you have to do amar bil maroof and nahi anil munkir, who should be your priority? A company consisting of hundreds of community members, who are risking lives of hundreds and earning millions, or that one community member who is supposedly  wasting time in the privacy of her own room? 

Salam our priority  must be about company & we must not investigate in  private life of people  until their deeds causes harm to community likewise spreading rumors in community which causes hurting other people in community because Amr bil maroof and Nah'i anil Munkir is a social responsibility anyway you are aware that someone  is doing wrong you can do Amr bil maroof and Nah'i anil Munkir privately  by considering all preconditions of it  .

• Veteran Member

I haven't studied anything in 15 years. Now I have free time, so I thought about studying again, but I find everything complicated. I started an accounting course but it seems too difficult. I remember I was good at math, so what should I study? Have I become too old or everything has become more complicated than it was 15 years ago?

• Veteran Member
10 minutes ago, rkazmi33 said:

I haven't studied anything in 15 years. Now I have free time, so I thought about studying again, but I find everything complicated. I started an accounting course but it seems too difficult. I remember I was good at math, so what should I study? Have I become too old or everything has become more complicated than it was 15 years ago?

Salam large gaps like this tend to increase difficulty in retention. I would say you should evaluate your current state of being before commencing a study, and you’re the best person to make this decision. Asking yourself “What am I good at?” is definitely one of the important questions, but I found we in the Shia community often get pinholed into certain careers because of repute (speaking from experience). Thus, I believe the following questions are also important:

• “What do I love?”
  • “Does it have employability / will it make me money (if that’s a concern)?”
  • “What does the world need- will my job make a positive contribution to the world (no matter how small others think it is)?”

It may be wise to google course guides / course maps/ unit guides or the like for courses you are interested in, or even getting the textbooks (if possible) and seeing if you like it / can handle it. Some YouTube videos may be helpful in deciding on your career (MajorPrep is a great one for engineering). You can also chat with accountants / other professionals over LinkedIn and see if it’s a career for you.. Lastly (the cliche), it may be tough navigating through your course, but it’ll give you a sense of accomplishment when you complete it.

hope this helped

wsalam 

• Veteran Member
3 minutes ago, 313_Waiter said:

Salam large gaps like this tend to increase difficulty in retention. I would say you should evaluate your current state of being before commencing a study, and you’re the best person to make this decision. Asking yourself “What am I good at?” is definitely one of the important questions, but I found we in the Shia community often get pinholed into certain careers because of repute (speaking from experience). Thus, I believe the following questions are also important:

• “What do I love?”
  • “Does it have employability / will it make me money (if that’s a concern)?”
  • “What does the world need- will my job make a positive contribution to the world (no matter how small others think it is)?”

It may be wise to google course guides / course maps/ unit guides or the like for courses you are interested in, or even getting the textbooks (if possible) and seeing if you like it / can handle it. Some YouTube videos may be helpful in deciding on your career (MajorPrep is a great one for engineering). You can also chat with accountants / other professionals over LinkedIn and see if it’s a career for you.. Lastly (the cliche), it may be tough navigating through your course, but it’ll give you a sense of accomplishment when you complete it.

hope this helped

wsalam 

Wasalam! thank you, it is very helpful. I don't want to do 4 year degree, because I don't want to take loans. I want to study so that I have a second choice if I cannot find a job in my current field. I agree with your last point. I will try to complete a course because I have been doing the same kind of work and it will be good to use my brain. 

• Advanced Member

I rearranged my apt. Now I work in one room and sleep in the other. I have more space in work room so I can walk and think sometimes. Plus my desk is in front of the large window. I see back yard with trees and birds flying around. Its much better now. I live in CA, and it's a perfect time to go out nights and walk. Peaceful :)

• Moderators
11 hours ago, ummulbaneen said:

That strange feeling you get when you realise you no longer qualify for a lot of "youth" programs.

Shoutout to all the older young at heart people I met as a child and would call uncle/aunty.

:respect:

I have a few older friends who occasionally refer to me as "young lady" and I always look around to see who they're talking about. :woot:

• Moderators
On 1/24/2022 at 10:30 PM, notme said:

There's covid in my house now. Two of my kids are sick and tested positive. The rest of us are fine. Hopefully we stay that way and these two recover quickly. 

Just wanted to add: the fact that we don't all have it is strong evidence that vaccines work, at least mostly. The two who tested positive, one works in a restaurant surrounded by unmasked strangers for hours every day, and the other is a little kid who puts objects in his mouth and has no concept of personal space. The four of us who do not have unusual circumstances tested negative. 

• Forum Administrators

FKII2brXEAYLu8s?format=jpg&name=medium

This map of the Mediterranean is amazing in the way that it manages to reduce the distance between Europe and Africa.

https://twitter.com/jeffe_mr/status/1486793222198288386

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

My political organizing organization fell apart.:(

We've got a great thing going here in Virginia, but we can't attach ourselves to the national organization. Some of the leaders have voiced support for white supremacists and most of the leadership is opposed to vaccine mandates. 

We are deciding what we want to do next. We don't want to give up on making the world a better place. Maybe we will go our own way without a national organization, or maybe we will find another organization that more closely matches our values. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

My neighbor is bringing me honeybees! 

I have no idea how to care for them! Any advice? Anyone here with beekeeping experience? 

• Forum Administrators
Posted (edited)
On 2/26/2022 at 7:43 AM, notme said:

My neighbor is bringing me honeybees! 

I have no idea how to care for them! Any advice? Anyone here with beekeeping experience? 

Should You Become a beekeeper? The man says the answer is yes! 

A Foray Into Beekeeping 101

Edited by Hameedeh
Links

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

Should You Become a beekeeper? The man says the answer is yes! 

A Foray Into Beekeeping 101

They're the cutest little critters! They are like tiny flying teddy bears with stingers! 

PXL-20220301-210717997.jpg

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Haji 2003 said:

image.png

What’s the meaning of 68?

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

image.png

Hm. Fascinating coincidence. 

Calendar dates are totally made up. Do the same math using the Islamic or Chinese or Jewish calendars. 

Edited by notme

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Diaz said:

Salam It has no meaning which also they have made no 32 from summing  of each number

WWI= 8+2+7+4+1+9+1=WWII 1+9+9+3+9+1=32  which about Invasion  of Ukraine  a trick has been  made 24+2+2+2+0+2=32 which it must be 2+4+2+2+2+0+2=14 so therefore it's just a coincidence  & trick for WW III conspiracy  theory.

• Forum Administrators
8 hours ago, Diaz said:

Just that it repeats. But it's just a coincidence. But a good example of how we try and see patterns, even if they are just coincidences.

• Forum Administrators

Nazanin Zaghari will now be living off the 'woman-of-colour' op-ed commissions from the media for a long time to come.

Other women of colour writers better start looking for employment elsewhere.

• Moderators

Can someone explain to me why adult males are so delicate and emotional?

And what is the proper way to handle them when they are getting irrationally upset?

• Veteran Member
12 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

I would maybe study Islam?

I am at very low point of faith, constantly begging people to pray for me because my prayers don't get answered. Also, religious people have been using religion to punish me, that's why I have lost interest in religion. 

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, rkazmi33 said:

Also, religious people have been using religion to punish me, that's why I have lost interest in religion. 

Most these types of people seem to have highly dogmatic beliefs and might not even have properly understood Islam. I would even question whether they uphold a true Islamic identity.

If you do decide to study Islam you will slowly start to create a separation between 'Islam' and 'Muslims'. If you then see a display of 'low' and questionable behaviour you'll just totally be indifferent because you know that Islam is not defined by people. Islam can stand on its own and should also be evaluated based on its merits, teachings etc. Not based on fallible people who are prone to biases, errors, poor understanding, ego etc. 

I do understand your frustration though especially if it comes from those who claim to be 'scholars' etc.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, 3wliya_maryam said:

since when? please, where can I find them :byecry:

Got a whole bunch right here at my house; come on by. Just about every man I've met is like this, it's not rare. I just assume that adult men are exceedingly rare. I've met one or two I think,  or maybe I just didn't know them well enough to see their immaturity. 

• Advanced Member

Solitude is the quiet of the autumn after the summer's flamboyance. It is the philosopher's retreat from the banquet. 

Loneliness bothers us so much; How lonely is our Imam (aj)! 

Our sins conceal him from our sight. Our wickedness has tarred our hearts so much that we don't feel the warmth of his presence. Our ears are so full of vain talk, backbiting and gossip, and the whispers of the shaytan that we don't hear him. Our sins strike him, every Thursday night, like arrows. And he weeps. He weeps because of us. We are the reason for his pain, for his loneliness. 

He prays for us frantically each moment, while we are heedless of him practically every moment. Like his grandfather (sawa), who prayed for his Ummah each night till his ankles swelled, so that today his Ummah sleep till their eyes swell. But for his prayers, calamities would have rent us apart, yet we don't take out time for him. "Do not ever think that we are heedless of your affairs", he wrote to us in a letter of his. Yet we are the ones who are heedless of his supervision that is over us every moment. 

He has no one to talk to; no one with whom he may speak a few words to lighten his heavy heart. The sins of his Shi'a have separated him from them. 

How oppressed you are, O Son of Zahra (sa)!! :(:cry:

• Forum Administrators

The British MP (of Bengali heritage) Tulip Siddiqui tweeted:

On the way to the press conference, we were complaining about painful shoes. Nazanin said she hasn’t worn high heels for 6 years so needs to walk slowly. She was impressed I can run in heels! 5/8

https://twitter.com/TulipSiddiq/status/1506294538708697099

Nazanin is the Iranian/Briton who was recently released by Iran.

Curious to see how she puts up with wearing painful shoes.

But she won't wear a hijab.

Blisters in this world and the next?

• Moderators

Should I apply for a job as a sixth grade math teacher? I was planning to teach sciences, but there's a math position opening at the school where I work and my boss encouraged me to apply.  

• Forum Administrators

Amongst the many perspectives followed by non-Muslim scholars of the Qur'an are these two:

• This Qur'anic text is similar to existing texts - so must have been copied.
    • How about the Qur'an is validating what is in your books?
  • This Qur'anic text is not found in other texts - so must be false.
    • How about the Qur'anic version flagging up mistakes in yours?

• Advanced Member
On 3/25/2022 at 9:16 PM, notme said:

Should I apply for a job as a sixth grade math teacher? I was planning to teach sciences, but there's a math position opening at the school where I work and my boss encouraged me to apply.  

how many degrees do you hold?