Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Can a Muslim Woman marry a Non Muslim man?

Rate this topic

• Moderators

Quran does not expressly forbid Muslim women marrying non-Muslim men and neither prophet has expressly forbidden it

(from the article)

One should never take the opinion of a non muslim, who probably cannot even read the Quran, over the opinions of 100s of qualified Imams on a matter of fiqh. If someone does this, they do so at their own risk. If anyone would actually like to know why this is wrong, referring to the website of any marjaa taqleed or any scholar who has studied the Quran should give you a satisfactory answer. 

• Forum Administrators
18 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam whitout doubt a Muslim Woman can't Marry with A Non-Muslim man.

I agree with this.

On a related subject, I've been thinking about Asiya, Pharoah's wife. I assume she was a Muslim (in the holistic sense), but what about her husband?

• Basic Members
15 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

I agree with this.

On a related subject, I've been thinking about Asiya, Pharoah's wife. I assume she was a Muslim (in the holistic sense), but what about her husband?

Assalamu Alaykum, I am not 100% sure of the case of Asiya however she may have been forced to marry the pharaoh (can you imagine her having a choice there lol), or another possibility is that she may have been guided after her marriage with the pharaoh. Allah knows best and there may be sources out there with the answer, but these possibilities are not to be taken as fact and only to be food for thought. 

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, LebaneseLion said:

Assalamu Alaykum, I am not 100% sure of the case of Asiya however she may have been forced to marry the pharaoh (can you imagine her having a choice there lol), or another possibility is that she may have been guided after her marriage with the pharaoh. Allah knows best and there may be sources out there with the answer, but these possibilities are not to be taken as fact and only to be food for thought. 

I agree with this. Also, there are other possibilities besides this. The bottom line is that we are responsible for obeying what is revealed in Quran, as per teachings of Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)) and Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h). Before the revelation of Quran and before Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) and Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)) there was the revelation of previous prophets, which the people of that time were responsible for obeying. What exactly those revelations were and what those teachings were (in their entirely) we don't know. Much of this is lost to history. There are some things we know, such as all previous Prophets taught taught the five pillars of belief (Tauhid,Adl,Imamate,Nabuwwat,Alim Al Ghaib) and the five pillars of practice (Tauhid,Salat,Saum,Hajj,Zakat). How exactly those concepts translated in Hukm Sharia (Religious edicts) for those prophets, we don't know, and we are not responsible for following them, because the points in that Hukm that are relevant for our time are contained in Quran and teachings of Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) and Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)). The points that are not relevant for us are not contained in those teachings. So to try and figure out which points of Hukm were also contained in previous Hukm Sharia is speculation, unless we have clear guidance from Quran and Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)) on these points. 

For example, in the days before revelation of Quran, were people required to fast during Ramadan, were they required to make Hajj once in their life. We don't know. At least I don't know. We know the Prophets made Hajj, but did this requirement also apply to their followers ? There was a Sabbath (in the revelations of Prophet Musa((عليه السلام))). What were the actual requirements for the Sabbath, the real ones that were revealed to Musa((عليه السلام)), not the ones that were added or deleted later by the corrupt Rabbis. We don't know. This is an example. The regulations regarding who we can and can't marry is another part of this Hukm which may or may not have been different from the current Hukm. We are only responsible for following the current one. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

On a related topic, I also wanted to say that the problem the author brought up (single, mostly older (mid 30s and beyond)) having a difficult time finding a husband is a real problem. It is something that we, as Muslims, need to come up with a solution. At the same time, the solution proposed by the author, i.e. that Muslim women marry non muslim men, is not a solution. It is like the doctor prescribing a medicine that will kill you, and your original problem was a toothache. Ok, you don't have a toothache anymore, you're also not alive anymore. Although a toothache is bad, and can severely negatively impact your life, being dead is a worse problem. Openly and persistently violating any clear ordinance of Islam is the same as doing kufr, i.e. disbelief. It is equivalent, in a spiritual sense, to suicide. Although we cannot call someone who does this a non muslim, but the act is an act of disbelief in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). The repercussions of doing this act (both in this life and the next) are far worse for the person than not being able to find a spouse. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

• Advanced Member

That is the dumbest article I have ever read

“2nd and 3rd generation American Muslims will have their own Islam that differs from others in other lands. However the American practice of Islam would be closer to the one Prophet Muhammad ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) practiced; a religion committed to building cohesive societies and caring for fellow humans and environment, in essence Islam tells you to mind your own business as you do on the Day of Judgment.“ :ko:

• Veteran Member
4 hours ago, Shi3atAli1 said:

Women have more rights in Islam than they do in Christianity or Judaism so it’s to protect women. In Judaism, for example, a woman cannot get a divorce without her husband’s permission. 

I mean, technically speaking, sure.  But the reality is that most Jews and Christians don't follow their texts to the letter, and their leaders have also changed their views on topics over the years.  I was once driving by a church as they were getting out and saw mutliple ladies in very short skirts, like very short, exiting.  100 years ago they would not have been allowed inside.  So, in all practicality, in a secular western country, a woman has more rights than any religion gives her.

In regards to the article, it is an interesting topic.  The reality is that quite a few Muslim boys are having marriages with non-muslims, leaving non-muslim girls in a predicament.  I truly do feel sorry for these ladies that get to their 40's, and beyond unmarried, often ending up marrying an old divorced muslim, and will never have children of their own.  And I don't have a good solution for them.  Even if Islam allowed the marrying of muslim women to non-muslim men, most (if not all) non-muslims these days will not consider a relationship unless there has been a prolonged period of dating, often with physical intimacy involved.  

The question arises though, how many muslim women are actually muslim and how many are simply muslim by birth/culture?  Further, how many muslim women get married to non-muslim men who simply say the shahada with their mouths, and not with their hearts, simply to appease families.  

I do think that moving forward over the next 20-50 years we're going to see very large changes in the courtship process among young muslims, and what we permit, and what we turn a blind eye to.  I think it has already started, to be honest.  I guess we'll see moving forward how things go.  It certainly makes me very nervous to have children, but especially to have a daughter.  InshaAllah I'll be blessed with healthy children, but it still makes me nervous.

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, Uni Student said:

That is the dumbest article I have ever read

“2nd and 3rd generation American Muslims will have their own Islam that differs from others in other lands. However the American practice of Islam would be closer to the one Prophet Muhammad ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) practiced; a religion committed to building cohesive societies and caring for fellow humans and environment, in essence Islam tells you to mind your own business as you do on the Day of Judgment.“ :ko:

Salam this is what Imam Khomeini (رضي الله عنه) has described  as "Ameican  Islam) which is a tailored  Islam by Zionists  which is just a ceremonial  religion with an edited Quran which doesn't  contain  verses  about Jihad & fighting  with oppression  & has no bad words about Zionists in it which instead of Jihad , the American  Islam will follow slogans of so called  peaceful  groups likewise  green party & Buddhism  as "building cohesive societies and caring for fellow humans and environment, in essence Islam tells you to mind your own business as you do on the Day of Judgment.“ " which this type of Islam will support LGBT & marrying  Muslim  women with non-Musl  men with any type of belief & other deviations  in name of reforming  Islam.

The Islamic State rages next door and the U.S. Congress is threatening new sanctions, but Iranian officials remain preoccupied by a different challenge, one that has haunted them for decades: “American Islam.”

“American Islam isn’t the Islam practiced by Muslims across the United States. Rather, it is what the Islamic Republic perceives to be a depoliticized perversion of the true faith, devoid of the revolutionary sentiment that guides the Islamic Republic. As Supreme Leader Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei lamented in 2010, “American Islam means ceremonial Islam, an Islam that is indifferent in the face of oppression.”

Soon, the Islamic Republic conflated its own enemies with those of God. During the 1980-1988 Iran-Iraq War, Khomeini would proclaim that “this war is a war against Islam…and God almighty will not forgive those who arise against Islam.” Khomeini reserved even greater disdain for Saudi Arabia (which had backed Iraq in the war), which he derided as “bloodthirsty,” and its Wahhabi religious institutions as promoting the same dreaded “American Islam.”

The rhetoric continued after Khomeini’s death in 1989. In 1990, a noted Azeri-Iranian Ayatollah sought to promulgate Iran’s brand of Islam in Azerbaijan, saying “if those people who seek Islam are not given it by healthy hands, then they will be given American Islam. That is to say, they will be fed a distorted Islam.” The next year, Khomeini’s successor Khamenei set the tone of Iran’s foreign and security policy for decades to come, warning, “The danger of American Islam … is not less than the danger of America’s military and political tools.”

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/irans-greatest-fear-american-islam-11951

• Advanced Member

http://staticsml.imam-khomeini.ir/UserFiles/en/Images/NewsPhoto/2017/21_21_7.jpg  http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/outward/2016/11/18/what_iran_can_teach_american_about_the_fight_for_lgbtq_rights/453068332-two-women-hold-up-a-sign-reading-one-day-well-march-in.jpg.CROP.promo-xlarge2.jpg http://staticsml.imam-khomeini.ir/UserFiles/en/Images/NewsPhoto/2017/86_9.jpg

http://ar.imam-khomeini.ir/en/c103_21934/egallery/The_danger_of_neglecting_America_in_Imam_Khomeini_s_viewpoints/page2

• Advanced Member

10. Is Islam a political movement?
No. Islam is a religious tradition, and adherents to Islam are called Muslim. Of course, American Muslims, like Americans from other religious groups, participate in American political life. American Muslim voting patterns generally mirror the broader American population. American Muslims are Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, liberals and conservatives. There is no one political platform or agenda for those who practice the religion of Islam in the United States.

A comprehensive collection of condemnations of terrorism and extremism by American Muslims, including theological arguments, may be found on The American Muslim, a publication that has been providing information about the American Muslim community since 1998. www.theamericanmuslim.org

12. Are American Muslims concerned about extremist violence in the United States?

Yes. Most American Muslims, like most other Americans, are deeply concerned about the problem of extremist violence committed in the name of Islam. According to the most reliable data we have, the overwhelming majority of American Muslims is well integrated into American society and reports criminal activity. Over the past decade, 40% of domestic terrorism plots have been uncovered or deterred with assistance from American Muslims.3

13. Do American Muslim leaders support freedom of expression and religious liberty?

Yes. Many American Muslim leaders, educational institutions and advocacy groups have repeatedly spoken out for freedom of expression and are actively involved in promoting religious liberty for all people both in the United States and abroad.

A recent statement signed by some 200 American and Canadian Muslim leaders unconditionally condemned “any intimidation or threats of violence directed against any individual or group exercising the rights of freedom of religion and speech; even when that speech may be perceived as hurtful or reprehensible.”

The statement directly addresses recent controversies in the United States:

“We are concerned and saddened by the recent wave of vitriolic anti-Muslim and anti-Islamic sentiment that is being expressed across our nation. We are even more concerned and saddened by threats that have been made against individual writers, cartoonists, and others by a minority of Muslims. We see these as a greater offense against Islam than any cartoon, Qur’an burning, or other speech could ever be deemed.”4

https://www.learningforjustice.org/magazine/publications/what-is-the-truth-about-american-muslims/american-muslims-in-the-united

In Tom Sawyer Abroad (1894), one of the sequels to his masterpiece, Tom explains to Huck that a Muslim “was a person that wasn’t a Presbyterian,” to which Huck responds that “there is plenty of them in Missouri, though I didn’t know it before.” This is, of course, satire. Embedded in the joke, however, is the historical truth that even in the nineteenth century—as it was for Columbus and his men — Islam remained beyond the frontiers of Americans’

Mark Twain writes in The Innocents Abroad (1869) that the “dusky men and women” he saw “reminded me much of Indians ... They sat in silence, and with tireless patience watched our every motion with that vile, uncomplaining impoliteness which is so truly Indian, and which makes a white man so nervous and uncomfortable and savage that he wants to exterminate the whole tribe.” Later, he says, “These people about us had other peculiarities, which I have noticed in the noble red man, too: they were infested with vermin, and the dirt had caked on them till it amounted to bark.” If for Columbus Muslims represented the ultimate other through which to understand all difference anywhere, for Twain Native Americans played this role.

https://www.theamerican.co.uk/pr/ft-Alan-Mikhail-An-Imagination-of-Muslims-and-Native-Americans

• Advanced Member
  • Advanced Member
On 1/2/2022 at 7:48 PM, Abu Hadi said:

On a related topic, I also wanted to say that the problem the author brought up (single, mostly older (mid 30s and beyond)) having a difficult time finding a husband is a real problem. It is something that we, as Muslims, need to come up with a solution. At the same time, the solution proposed by the author, i.e. that Muslim women marry non muslim men, is not a solution. It is like the doctor prescribing a medicine that will kill you, and your original problem was a toothache. Ok, you don't have a toothache anymore, you're also not alive anymore. Although a toothache is bad, and can severely negatively impact your life, being dead is a worse problem. Openly and persistently violating any clear ordinance of Islam is the same as doing kufr, i.e. disbelief. It is equivalent, in a spiritual sense, to suicide. Although we cannot call someone who does this a non muslim, but the act is an act of disbelief in Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). The repercussions of doing this act (both in this life and the next) are far worse for the person than not being able to find a spouse. 

Salaam Brother,

Coming to the problems you raised. This is a serious problem and we must think of it's cause and then only it can be fixed. Reason why marriage system as a whole amongst the muslims is failing has several reasons:

1. Marriages are made complicated by adding rituals which have no historical or moral or spiritual value.

2. Match-making is full of extremely vague and baseless ideas which never help in marriage. Unlike what Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) has advices to focus on the faith of person, people give more priority to family background, money, personality, color and appearance etc. If they had followed what was told by the Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم), the problem would have been resolved.

3. Spending excessive money on marriages.

4. Delay in marriages: Marriages should be done early. Delaying this makes it impossible for the youngsters to bear. Furthermore, they get distracted from the right path, some loose hope and stop considering to marry. 

5. Mentality to get-along and adapt is missing: Couples can divorce each other on small fights as no one wants to adjust and move on. Divorce option is always on the table. Before divorcing one must think that divorce is not a solution to anything. Divorce is in Islam because it is better than death. Divorce is a forbidden act which can only be considered if relationship has no way left whatsoever to move ahead. When marriage becomes counter-productive.

Solution to these problems are important to discuss. Or else, people will really (and unfortunately) adopt this fitna of marrying non-muslims.

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless you and protect you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

So, question for the forum.  Let's say a muslim girl falls for a non-muslim guy.  Let's say they don't even date, and he agrees to get married with just talking ahead of time.  What is better, that he say the shahada with insincerity, and continue to practice his own faith but saying he's muslim?  Or to have the girl just accept that he's not muslim and that she's doing something that most scholars believe is not permissible?

Reason I ask is, let's say he continues to drink alcohol, but identifies as Muslim.  That sets a bad example for other muslims, and makes others view Islam as watered down and full of non-adherents.  Versus if he continues to identify as christian, and drinks alcohol, then he married a muslim who may be fully practicing otherwise.

Technically speaking, I think a marriage between a muslim woman and a non-muslim man is considered not valid in the eyes of Islam, and therefore they're technically committing zina.  So, I suppose that could be an issue as well.

Anyways, just some food for thought.

• Advanced Member
On 1/17/2022 at 8:02 PM, coldcow said:

What is better, that he say the shahada with insincerity, and continue to practice his own faith but saying he's muslim

Salam surely this is the best & only way which it add at least one person to muslim community  & prevents woman from commiting  Zina even that man not practices  Islam but still he is a muslim so therefore there is hope that he starts practicing  Islam in near future after interactions  with muslims & doing his own research  & studying Islam.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Basic Members

Unfortunately this topic seems so have derailed a bit.

So to keep it simple: NO 

I do not know any Shia or Sunni scholars that deem this to be permissible. 

I know 100% that Sistani dosent allow it.

Nevertheless u should always check with ur marja' to be sure.

Most of them have either a website with a Q&A section or a contact form or u can ask the ur questions via E-Mail.

I hope u find this helpful. 

Kind regards M. M.