Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why have you chosen NOT to be Sunni?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member
On 12/28/2021 at 3:26 AM, seekingthebeloved said:

:salam:

The purpose of this post isn’t to have discord on the thread, rather I want to better understand your reasonings for choosing Shia Islam in brief points so I can take them into consideration during my research. 

At the moment it feels there are some things in Shia’ism that make sense and sit well with me, but many other things that don’t. I also feel the same with Sunni’ism, but probably have less points of contention. 

Thank you in advance for your time.

I choose not to be sunni because I found it to be weak in comparison to shiaism whatever shias claim about sunnis can be found in sunni books but whatever sunnis say about shias cannot be found in Shia books.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ra'ina
On 12/29/2021 at 11:07 PM, Irfani313 said:

Guest Ra-ina:

i tend to believe that if any of the past imams lived an actual present day western experience, their mouths would be agape. they would have a serious meeting and find a way to maintain the root of the teachings but also balance it out with the reality that many of us are facing. 
{care to explain the realities that many of us are facing that are new? From the way I’ve known Quran and history, all the vices that we face had always been there, in full force, for the people of the past. Nothing changed except technology made it closer yet virtual}

it is not practical or efficient to confront a ubiquitously nacscient enmity, baring one's teeth. being mindful of the reality of others, is necessary for the survivability of the teachings IMHO.
{I didn’t get this part either, could you please explain more, maybe I’m not getting the context of it}

in my heart of hearts, im shia down to my last chromosome. therefore i cannot deny any other reality in spite of my faith. if it wont work for sunnis or christians, we have to make it work for us IMHO.

{this is pure poetic, the best paragraph of all the replies above including the rest of your post}

(1) the example used was the gendered dynamic and how it has been used to deny reality. right now the radicalization of sexual freedom to the degree of altering the Creator's design is a tool for wreaking political havoc. the denial of reality is so great that in the western world it is currently a part of modern medicine. while i do agree that this existed in the times of Alexandria and Persia -- Babylon and even early India in history, the proximity of it today creates an even bigger opportunity (not to change the rules) but to have these discussions where all believers are able to address this issue from a sociopolitical stand point in the religion.

our social responsibility to defend the faith in a fair and open manner despite the negative feedback. eliminating the accusations of bigotry by sharing some experiences in overcoming socioeconomic and mental health issues in a rightly guided manner. not the exploitation of gender. this is what i meant by the prior example.

(2) the context is referring to confronting this social issue in reality. simply being against something due to the natural laws of religion (either you get it or you dont mentality) does not serve the highest good. furthering the subject of comprehending what brings about this desire to exploit gender beyond sex and socioeconomics -- really bringing it home and understanding, having compassion regarding how these frames of mind are developed will give us greater insight into how to protect the mental health of all believers. perhaps along the way helping some who cannot help themselves even of they dont believe before such great trangressions occur.

(3) thank you for your response. i am flattered by your remark

Guest Still Learning
On 1/1/2022 at 5:55 AM, The Green Knight said:

- Sunni practices are not according to Quran. Quran has so many things which Shia do correctly, like ablutions, fasting, prayer, inheritance, zakat, khums, mowaddah of Ahl al Bayt (عليه السلام).

Hi, im sorry to bring up an old post but im a struggling new muslim. Can you please explain this further or point me to some material on it? I am confused in practice and have mostly found sunni tutorials. 

Thanks.

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Guest Still Learning said:

Hi, im sorry to bring up an old post but im a struggling new muslim. Can you please explain this further or point me to some material on it? I am confused in practice and have mostly found sunni tutorials. 

Thanks.

Hello, you could start here, this is an article about wudhu (ablution) and it has a section about the difference between the sects https://en.wikishia.net/view/Wudu'

And here is a video 

Al-islam.org is a great resource with lots of books about Shia Islam, you could start here for their section on shia/Sunni https://www.al-islam.org/explore/shia-and-sunni

Edited by ireallywannaknow

• Advanced Member

I personally choose not to be Sunni because it just doesn't add up. Besides acts of worship like washing the feet during wudu, folding the hands during salah, doing sujood on carpet, etc, I'm talking about pure history. After Rasoolullah (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) died on the lap of Imam Ali (عليه السلام), why weren't Abu Bakr and Umar there? Why were they at Saqifa instead of with their Prophet? And why on Earth did the house of Fatima Al-Zahra (عليه السلام) get attacked? Why was her rib broken? Why was she killed? But most importantly, why did Fatima die angry with Abu Bakr? 

.‏ فَغَضِبَتْ فَاطِمَةُ بِنْتُ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَهَجَرَتْ أَبَا بَكْرٍ، فَلَمْ تَزَلْ مُهَاجِرَتَهُ حَتَّى تُوُفِّيَتْ 

Fatima, the daughter of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) got angry and stopped speaking to Abu Bakr, and continued assuming that attitude till she died. 

Sahih al-Bukhari 3092, 3093
Chapter 1: The obligations of Khumus, Book 57: One-fifth of Booty to the Cause of Allah (Khumus)
https://sunnah.com/bukhari:3092

There are also the problems of taraweeh, adhan, khums...

And also Ghadeer. It's written in Sahih Muslim:

I am leaving among you two weighty things: the one being the Book of Allah in which there is right guidance and light, so hold fast to the Book of Allah and adhere to it. He exhorted (us) (to hold fast) to the Book of Allah and then said: The second are the members of my household I remind you (of your duties) to the members of my family.

Sahih Muslim Book 31, Hadith Number 5920

Chapter : The merits of ‘Ali b. Abi Talib (Allah be pleased with him)

And also in Tirmidhi:

حَدَّثَنَا نَصْرُ بْنُ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ الْكُوفِيُّ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا زَيْدُ بْنُ الْحَسَنِ، هُوَ الأَنْمَاطِيُّ عَنْ جَعْفَرِ بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ، عَنْ أَبِيهِ، عَنْ جَابِرِ بْنِ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ، قَالَ رَأَيْتُ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم فِي حَجَّتِهِ يَوْمَ عَرَفَةَ وَهُوَ عَلَى نَاقَتِهِ الْقَصْوَاءِ يَخْطُبُ فَسَمِعْتُهُ يَقُولُ ‏ "‏ يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ إِنِّي قَدْ تَرَكْتُ فِيكُمْ مَا إِنْ أَخَذْتُمْ بِهِ لَنْ تَضِلُّوا كِتَابَ اللَّهِ وَعِتْرَتِي أَهْلَ بَيْتِي ‏"‏ ‏.‏وَفِي الْبَابِ عَنْ أَبِي ذَرٍّ وَأَبِي سَعِيدٍ وَزَيْدِ بْنِ أَرْقَمَ وَحُذَيْفَةَ بْنِ أَسِيدٍ ‏.‏ وَهَذَا حَدِيثٌ حَسَنٌ غَرِيبٌ مِنْ هَذَا الْوَجْهِ ‏.‏ وَزَيْدُ بْنُ الْحَسَنِ قَدْ رَوَى عَنْهُ سَعِيدُ بْنُ سُلَيْمَانَ وَغَيْرُ وَاحِدٍ مِنْ أَهْلِ الْعِلْمِ ‏.‏

Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah: "I saw the Messenger of Allah during his Hajj, on the Day of 'Arafah. He was upon his camel Al-Qaswa, giving a Khutbah, so he said: 'O people! Indeed, I have left among you, that which if you hold fast to it, you shall not go astray: The Book of Allah and my family, the people of my house.'"

Jami` at-Tirmidhi 3786
Chapter 32: About The Virtues Of The People Of The House Of The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم), Book 49: Chapters on Virtues
Grade: Sahih (Darussalam)
https://sunnah.com/tirmidhi:3786

But they ignore these ahadeeth and say "Quran and Sunnah". They neglect AhlulBayt (peace be upon them). Yes, they may love AhlulBayt up to Imam Al-Husayn (عليه السلام). But then why do they love Abu Bakr, Umar, and Uthman? When Umar and Uthman were the ones who put the Umayyads in power? It was their fault that Karbala happened. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syUP0QuknR8

Most of why I choose to not be a Sunni is also in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Kig4Bre8k

Guest Still Learning
On 4/5/2022 at 3:09 PM, ireallywannaknow said:

Hello, you could start here, this is an article about wudhu (ablution) and it has a section about the difference between the sects https://en.wikishia.net/view/Wudu'

And here is a video 

Al-islam.org is a great resource with lots of books about Shia Islam, you could start here for their section on shia/Sunni https://www.al-islam.org/explore/shia-and-sunni

Thank you, i will continue to read. I am considering myself a shia although i still struggle with some aspects. Reading Tijani and watching lectures and the history is pretty clear for anyone with an open mind. So i am more and more confident in going this direction.

At this point im not sure what the differences in the shia sects are and im working on understanding imamat although it is greatly attacked. Some of my personal lapses in understanding and belief is with infallibility (reading sunni hadith almost made me leave Islam), calling upon others (i know the controversy and not questioning anyone as i believe there is sound logic in it), the mahdi, and perhaps some core issues with Quran preservation and im definitely lost on valid hadith sources. Problem is sunni sources are so prevalent its hard to discern for a novice where best to take information from.

I will say this, i turned away from Sunni Islam through some investigation and later came to realize after 1-2 years of learning and research from those sources as a new muslim I had not seen or heard the name of Imam Ali (عليه السلام) or any of the ahlul bayt - peace and blessings be upon them all, mentioned a SINGLE time. Not once. That was a shocking realization and speaks volumes... 

• 2 months later...