Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is the sunni way of performing Salah acceptable?

Rate this topic

sonos

• Basic Members

Salam,

Just wondering if according to Shia scholars, the way of performing salah by sunni muslims is acceptable in the eyes of God or not. Does the prayer count and is it valid? I know there are different things in contrast to the way that sunni's pray that deem the salah invalid according to some scholars but would anyone be able to break this down for me? I know this is a very vague question, but I would really appreciate as much information as possible about if performing Salah the sunni way it is valid or not. Thank you :)

• Advanced Member

Salam all muslims are trying to perform salah in line of prophet  Muhammad (pbu) teachings  in order to that their prayer  will be accepted by Allah which if anyone  adds or subtract something  from tradition  of prophet  Muhammad (pbu) so then his Salat will be invalid  in eyes of Allah .

“Narrated by Muhammad ibn ‘Amr ibn ‘Ata’: “I was sitting with some of the companions of Allah’s Apostle and we were discussing about the way of praying of the Prophet. Abu Humaid as-Saidi said, “I remember the prayer of Allah’s Apostle better than any one of you. I saw him raising both his hands up to the level of the shoulders on saying the Takbir; and on bowing he placed his hands on both knees and bent his back straight, then he stood up straight from bowing till all the vertebrate took their normal positions.”

The statement “he stood up straight from bowing till all the vertebrate took their normal positions” is considered to be proof that the Holy Prophet (S) did not place his right hand over his left, for this is not the natural position at which the bones and limbs rest, rather, this is what is known as sadl - hands and arms at your side! If the Prophet placed his right hand over his left in the prayer, then (at least) one of the sahabah present would have objected to Abu Humaid’s failure to report that in his narration. But none of them did so!

In another tradition, the Sunni scholar Allama Ibn Hajr Asqalani writes that “…when the Prophet would stand for salat, he would raise both hands to his ears, and after saying Takbeer would then drop his hands.”

Question 37: Why do Shias say “Allahu Akbar” three times at the end of the prayer?

This issue is another point of contention between the Shi’a and the Ahlul Sunnah. According to the Sunnah of Prophet that has reached us through Imams of Ahlul Bayt, a Muslim should commence the salah by loudly reciting “takbeer” (Allahu Akbar”) and finish it by admitting the greatness and supremacy of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى), by reciting “takbeer” thrice after the “tashahud” (the final kneeling prayer of the salah).

References from books of Ahlul Sunnah

During the days of the Holy Prophet (S), the daily prayers were ended with the recitation of takbeer, and not with the turning of head from side to side.

In Sahih Bukhari Volume 1, Book 12, Hadith Number 803 states: “Abdulla ibn Abbas narrated: ‘I used to recognize the completion of the prayer of the Prophet by hearing takbeer.’”

Similarly, it is stated in Sahih Muslim, Book 4, Hadith Number 1209: “Abdulla ibn Abbas said: ‘We used to know that Allah’s Messenger had finished his prayer when we heard the takbeer (Allahu Akbar).’”

In Ahlul Sunnah tradition, the imam of the prayers turns right and left and prays the “salam” in a loud voice so it can be heard by those in the back rows. In Shia tradition, the imam of the prayers recites the salam in tashhahud and then loudly recites takbeer thrice and the congregation understands that the salah has finished.

Why don’t the Shia turn their heads from side to side while reciting the “salam”?

To support this Shia stance there is a tradition from the Sunan of Abu Dawud, one of the six authentic Sunni books of ahadith, in which Holy Prophet holds Abdullah ibn Masud’s hands and teaches him the recitation of tashahud.

In Sunan Abu Dawud, in the Chapter of Prayer (Kitab al-Salat): Hadith Number 965 states:

“Abdullah ibn Mas’ud narrated: ‘…the Apostle of Allah (S) caught hold of his (Ibn Mas’ud’s) hand and taught him the tashahud during prayer.’”

He then narrated the tradition of tashahhud. This version adds: “When you say this or finish this, then you have completed your prayer. If you want to stand up, then stand, and if you want to remain sitting, then remain sitting.”

There is no mention of the turning of the head!

https://www.al-islam.org/shia-sunni-debate-answering-50-most-common-questions-liaket-dewji-baqerali-alidina/chapter-4-holy

• Advanced Member
On 12/23/2021 at 11:34 PM, sonos said:

Does the prayer count and is it valid?

Does it count? According to orthodox Twelverism none of your deeds is accepted without belief in the Imam of your time.

Is it valid? According to many or most scholars it's not, as putting a hand over another as an act of worship invalids your prayer in normal circumstances, and the Sunni wudhu is universally believed to be invalid according to Shia.

However, the view universally accepted today is that if a Sunni becomes Shia they do not need to redo their prayers.

• Advanced Member

Dua can be done in any which way, in any language, at any time, in all situations.

Salat which is a prescribed way to connect to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has been taught by the Holy Prophet sawaw, and has been established by holy Imams after him.

Salat is also one single conscious act, that our Holy Prophet has performed day in and day out, multiple times of the day and in nights, throughout his life. I won’t be wrong if I claim that the Salat our Prophet has performed outnumber any other of his wajib and conscious acts, by a huge margin.

YET it’s a shame that people left the ways of the Prophet, left the pure stream of Kawther (Imams after the Prophet), and instead chose to drink from the gutters of Umer, Aisha, and Muawiah, and invented fifty shades of Salats… 

All the while the one and only method of Salat is what came to us from the Prophet, Imam Ali, Sayeda Fatima, and their holy and pure progeny. May Allah’s peace and blessings be upon them all. 

If that’s understood, then the answer is in the Quran, meaning Allah has spoken to us telling us that, “this is the deen He has favored and liked”, and that “He rejects every other deen that is not the practice of His Prophet.” Deen meaning the “way of life”. 

There is goes, there is your answer. 

• Veteran Member
On 12/23/2021 at 12:34 PM, sonos said:

Salam,

Just wondering if according to Shia scholars, the way of performing salah by sunni muslims is acceptable in the eyes of God or not. Does the prayer count and is it valid? I know there are different things in contrast to the way that sunni's pray that deem the salah invalid according to some scholars but would anyone be able to break this down for me? I know this is a very vague question, but I would really appreciate as much information as possible about if performing Salah the sunni way it is valid or not. Thank you :)

For any Shia the way of performing salah by sunni way is not acceptable and the salah / prayer becomes void / null being in violation to the defined method by the prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and Imams (عليه السلام)  from his purified progeny.

However, in case of any fear or obvious danger of  loss to life, the sunni method of prayer can be performed only till that danger ends.

This is my simple understanding about the method of salah / prayer for any shia.

wasalam

Edited by Muslim2010