In the Name of God بسم الله

The Good Shepherd: Jesus Christ in Islam

Rate this topic

Qa'im

• Forum Administrators
On 12/14/2021 at 10:34 AM, Qa'im said:

I am humbled to announce the release of my new book, "The Good Shepherd: Jesus Christ in Islam". 

"The Good Shepherd" is a collection of sayings and stories of Jesus Christ from ancient Arabic sources, with Biblical cross-references. Rediscover the lost gospel in this retelling of the Greatest Story Ever Told. "The Good Shepherd" also includes an anthology of the Muslim Jesus from a diversity of Muslim, Christian, and Jewish authors. 

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Shepherd-Jesus-Christ-Islam/dp/B09NH641BQ/

Awesome! Thank you, Brother. We appreciate you!

• Forum Administrators
1 hour ago, Andrew Israel said:

Thank you for your excellent read.  I just finished it and look forward to spreading it to all my family and friends.

Thank you for your positive review! I would consider it a personal favour if you put your review on Amazon as well :)

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

@Qa'imThank you for pointing us to this book.

I am interested that this book has the title "The Good Shepherd: Jesus Christ in Islam". Maybe the choice of title came from the quote

“God did not raise a prophet until he made him a shepherd of sheep. Through that, He would teach him how to shepherd the people.”

also the words attributed to God

O Jesus! Shepherd the night in search of My felicity, and glorify Me in your day for your needs from Me.

There is no other reference to Jesus being a shepherd let alone a good shepherd

However the idea of Jesus being The Good Shepherd is very clearly declared in the Trustworthy Injil.  John faithfully recounts the Words of Jesus the Messiah

John chapter 10 11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

John chapter 10 14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep."

It is interesting to note that both of these statements of Jesus the Messiah emphasise the fact that he knew he was going to be crucified and saw this as the ultimate sign of being The Good Shepherd.  An action which would bring victory and trumumph over death, the devil and hell.  It is interesting that in the commentry on Qur'an 4:157-158 the book states that "It is arguable that the Quranic motif is one of triumph."

Yes and so is the Injil's perspective on the Good Shepherd.  He is a Trumphant deliverer and rescuer of people who are lost and far from God.  See this teaching of Jesus the Messiah in Luke chapter 15

Then Jesus told them this parable: “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

• Advanced Member

I wonder as I think of The Good Shepherd - Is God the Good Shepherd?  See these statements of God's words declared by prophets in the Hebrew Scriptures

The prophet David Psalm 23:1-4 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,  he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.

The prophet Isaiah 40:11 He [God] tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.

The prophet Jeremiah 31:10  "Hear the word of the LORD, you nations; proclaim it in distant coastlands: 'He [God] who scattered Israel will gather them and will watch over his flock like a shepherd.'

The prophet Ezekiel 34:16  I [God] will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy. I will shepherd the flock with justice.

• 6 months later...
  • Advanced Member
On 9/1/2022 at 7:03 AM, Thomas R said:

Have their ever been any Muslims who liked the Apostle Paul?

hi only shia muslims have opposed him which Sunni muslims have no objection or hate toward him .

• Forum Administrators
On 9/3/2022 at 4:31 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

hi only shia muslims have opposed him which Sunni muslims have no objection or hate toward him .

Ibn Taymiyya (14th century) and modern Sunni debaters have opposed Paul. However, Ibn Ishaq, Tabari, Qurtubi, Baghawi, Ibn al-Jawzi, Ibn Asakir, Ibn Kathir, and others have recorded positive things on Paul. It seems to me that the earliest negative views on Paul are from the Shi`i tradition, via Kamil al-Ziyarat, Tafsir al-Qummi, and Thawab al-A`maal (~10th century).

• Advanced Member
On 9/5/2022 at 5:35 PM, Qa'im said:

Ibn Taymiyya (14th century) and modern Sunni debaters have opposed Paul. However, Ibn Ishaq, Tabari, Qurtubi, Baghawi, Ibn al-Jawzi, Ibn Asakir, Ibn Kathir, and others have recorded positive things on Paul. It seems to me that the earliest negative views on Paul are from the Shi`i tradition, via Kamil al-Ziyarat, Tafsir al-Qummi, and Thawab al-A`maal (~10th century).

Ibn Taymiyya has opposed paul accoding to his anti shia doctrine which he has introduced Paul in similar fashion of Ibn Saba as two founders of Christanty & Rafidhism which in similar fashion praising Paul by others has been based on their anti Shia agenda which because in paul has received  negative views  in Shi`i tradition so therefore for opposing shias they have praised him.

Minhaajus-Sunnah volume 28 on page 483:
    quote:
"And the people of knowledge have mentioned that the beginning of the Rafdh (rejection) is from the Heretic (Zindeeq) 'Abdullaah bin Saba'; for he manifested Islaam and while he hid his Judaism and he sought to cause corruption in Islaam just like Paul the Christian, who was a Jew who caused corruption in the religion of the Christians."

Warning: Wahabi site

This is just like what Paul fabricated when he entered into the Religion of Christianity in order to corrupt the Religion of the Christians.5

Ash-Shahratain (d. 1153), a theologian of the Asharite school, echoes the above words of Ibn Taymiyyah by stating that:

Paul, however, disordered his affair, made himself (Peter’s) partner, altered the basis of his knowledge, and mixed it with the argument of the philosophers and the (evil) suggestion of his heart.6

Minhaajus-Sunnah (1/29) and he pointed out the earlier scholars who did this. It was declared hasan by al-Haafidh Ibn Hajar in Fath al-Bari(12/270).

Warning : another Wahabi site

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
On 10/20/2022 at 11:06 PM, Abu Nur said:

Amazon have this very weird thing for selling the product freely by 0 dollar. InshAllah I will pay the real price today.

If you purchase the Kindle Unlimited (Amazon's one time fee of $9.95 in the US) you can read all the books for free. 

• Advanced Member
On 10/25/2022 at 4:50 AM, Qa'im said:

For a limited time, I have brought down the price of the book. It could make a good gift for Christians in the upcoming season

Salam Bilal how valuable is your book when it comes to Muslim Christian dialogues and debates ?

• Forum Administrators
1 hour ago, Muslim by Choice said:

Salam Bilal how valuable is your book when it comes to Muslim Christian dialogues and debates ?

Wa alaykum assalam beloved, long time,

For debates, as someone who has been involved in this area for a long time, you may be familiar with the gist of the arguments: why Jesus is not God, response to "Muslims think Jesus is a mere prophet", how he may have avoided crucifixion, etc. The chapter on the Early Church is a pretty unique contribution, with a lot of unique references that would help the Muslim argument. There is a chapter on the meaning of Jesus' messiahood.The chapters written by Jewish authors would also help in engaging with Jews.

For friendly dialogues, it is absolutely valuable and unique. There is a lot of bridge-building: cross-references between hadiths and Bible, nuanced and unique references to Paul in Muslim books, a chapter on Mary with a lot of citations, a Catholic author's positive take on Islam. Most of all, there is a focus on zuhd, akhlaq, and spirituality.

I hope that is helpful.

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Qa'im said:

Wa alaykum assalam beloved, long time,

For debates, as someone who has been involved in this area for a long time, you may be familiar with the gist of the arguments: why Jesus is not God, response to "Muslims think Jesus is a mere prophet", how he may have avoided crucifixion, etc. The chapter on the Early Church is a pretty unique contribution, with a lot of unique references that would help the Muslim argument. There is a chapter on the meaning of Jesus' messiahood.The chapters written by Jewish authors would also help in engaging with Jews.

For friendly dialogues, it is absolutely valuable and unique. There is a lot of bridge-building: cross-references between hadiths and Bible, nuanced and unique references to Paul in Muslim books, a chapter on Mary with a lot of citations, a Catholic author's positive take on Islam. Most of all, there is a focus on zuhd, akhlaq, and spirituality.

I hope that is helpful.

Thx for the quick reply I'll order my copy today, I have another question about your book on the 12th Imam, what do you say about Kamal Haidari's view that Al Qaim will reappear not on this earth but in another dimension (maybe in another planet) which goes against the [Edited Out]te Hadiths that's says his appearance will be in Al Haram in Makkah, also how do you reconcile your belief about the Mahdi with the following ayat " وما جعلنا لبشر من قبلك الخلد"

• Forum Administrators
44 minutes ago, Muslim by Choice said:

Thx for the quick reply I'll order my copy today, I have another question about your book on the 12th Imam, what do you say about Kamal Haidari's view that Al Qaim will reappear not on this earth but in another dimension (maybe in another planet) which goes against the [Edited Out]te Hadiths that's says his appearance will be in Al Haram in Makkah, also how do you reconcile your belief about the Mahdi with the following ayat " وما جعلنا لبشر من قبلك الخلد"

I believe he will appear physically in Mecca, as stated in hadith. I do not believe the Mahdi is immortal, he will die a human death. But Allah has extended his life just as He extended the lives of Nuh and the Sleepers of the Cave.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Qa'im said:

I believe he will appear physically in Mecca, as stated in hadith. I do not believe the Mahdi is immortal, he will die a human death. But Allah has extended his life just as He extended the lives of Nuh and the Sleepers of the Cave.

But don't you think that Allah should have extended the life of prophet Muhammad thousands  of years so he can deliver his message to the world instead of dying at 63 ..!!

• Forum Administrators
3 hours ago, Muslim by Choice said:

But don't you think that Allah should have extended the life of prophet Muhammad thousands  of years so he can deliver his message to the world instead of dying at 63 ..!!

The job of Muhammad (s) was to deliver the everlasting miracle and message in the Quran. The Mahdi’s job is to establish just and peace on Earth, which is not the same mission. Allah can delay or bring forth the Hour whenever He wishes. The Imams in between preserved the message.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Qa'im said:

The job of Muhammad (s) was to deliver the everlasting miracle and message in the Quran. The Mahdi’s job is to establish just and peace on Earth, which is not the same mission. Allah can delay or bring forth the Hour whenever He wishes. The Imams in between preserved the message.

The mention of the Mahdi and his job is not  in the Qur'an we can both agree that prophet Muhammad's message is more important yet he died in his sixties and Allah made it very clear that no one will have a very long after the prophet and in short there is no Sunni or Shia Mahdi whatsoever 

• Forum Administrators
52 minutes ago, Muslim by Choice said:

The mention of the Mahdi and his job is not  in the Qur'an we can both agree that prophet Muhammad's message is more important yet he died in his sixties and Allah made it very clear that no one will have a very long after the prophet and in short there is no Sunni or Shia Mahdi whatsoever 

The verse says that none lived forever before Muhammad (s), and none will live forever after him. We accept that. Most Muslims believe that Jesus (عليه السلام) is alive, which would make him over 2000 years old. Does that make him more important than Muhammad (s)? No. Length of life does not signify most importance, as there are many ordinary people who live a much longer life. Even the dog in the Quran was kept alive for 309 years. 

The Mahdi’s role is very well-established in the hadiths. يَمْلَأَ الْأَرْضَ قِسْطاً وَ عَدْلًا كَمَا مُلِئَتْ جَوْراً وَ ظُلْما This is mutawatir. It is also alluded to in the Quran, where Allah says that the righteous will inherit the Earth (also in the Psalms, Enoch, and Gospel), and that islam will overcome every din.

I will give you the final word, because I don’t want to derail this topic.

• Advanced Member
21 hours ago, Muslim by Choice said:

Salam your comment about Sayed Kamal Haidari just an accusation by Nawasib & Wahabists against him which has been spread by them which   some naive people between Shias & sunnis misunderstood his viewpoint about Imam Mahdi (aj) which he said that we must seperate fake narration from real narrations about birth & visiting of Imam Mahsi (aj0  & his reappearance which some people belive that he will reappear in another dimension which this idea has been said by some Sunni scholars based on bekief of Christians about second coming of Jesus which he will give earth to Satan so then will move all believer Christians to other dimension which some muslims from Sunnis have been affected with this idea so then they put Imam Mahdi (aj) in place of Jesus which Sayed Kamal Haidari just mentions their false idea in order to refute it but anti Shia sites & channels has accused him that he beleives to this idea due to their enmity toward him because he has been one of frontiers of refuting false beliefs of Wahabists in all Medias likewise satelite & Internet channels likewise Youtube which I have not found such false belief in section which has dedicated to Imam mahdi (aj) in his official site or any video about him which has been released from reliable sources likewise his channel in youtube .

https://alhaydari.com/fa/tag/امام-زمان/

آیا آیت الله سید کمال حیدری منکر ولادت امام زمان (عج) ؟

Does Ayatollah Sayed Kamal Haidari denier of birth of Imam Zaman (aj) (Arabic speaking with Farsi sub)

https://www.aparat.com/v/tkYsK/آیا_آیت_الله_سید_کمال_حیدری_منکر_ولادت_امام_زمان

چرا امام زمان علیه السلام قیام نمی کنند؟نظر علامه سیدکمال حیدری

Why Imam Zaman (عليه السلام) doesn't revolt?opinion of Allamah Sayed Kamal Haydari (speaks in Farsi)

https://www.aparat.com/v/V9YOo/چرا_امام_زمان_علیه_السلام_قیام_نمی_کنند؟نظر_علامه_سیدکمال

14 hours ago, Muslim by Choice said:

Imam Mahdi (aj) & his job multiple times have been mentioned in holy Quran which it has been proved many times by shia Scholars which Wahabists although of all proofs have denied it .

Having a long life after prophet Muhammad (pbu) has been proved even until now some people with long ages  have been shown in Media likewise news outlets likewise nes sites & etc .

1) How Was This Long Life Granted To Al-Mahdi?

https://www.al-islam.org/inquiry-concerning-al-mahdi-sayyid-muhammad-baqir-al-sadr/1-how-was-long-life-granted-al-mahdi

Chapter 46: Longevity (Kamaaluddin wa Tamaamun Ni’ma Vol. 2 Al-Saduq )

https://www.al-islam.org/kamaaluddin-wa-tamaamun-nima-vol-2-shaykh-saduq/chapter-46-longevity

Chapter 5: Longevity (The Dawn Is NearAssociation of Imam Mahdi)

https://www.al-islam.org/dawn-near/chapter-5-longevity

Humans In The Era Of Awaiting
by Syed Ali Imran
Originally Published on Al-Iqra Online

https://www.al-islam.org/articles/humans-era-awaiting-syed-ali-imran

The Prolonged Lifespan of Imam Mahdi (aj)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum Administrators
On 12/14/2021 at 10:34 AM, Qa'im said:

If anyone has not bought this book yet, since it is at a special low price until Sunday, at least click on the "Look inside" and read the pages that are available for free. 

• 7 months later...
  • Basic Members

The common Jews do not Believe Jesus is the messiah,but the top Rabbis of the kabbalah all do.

But there's a twist,he is the messiah for the Gentiles,Esau etc sent to fool them into worshipping Jehovah and advocating secretely for them.

Scholar christopher jon bjerknes has spent his entire life on this issue,that Top Rabbis of orthodox judaism have always believed in Jesus as the messiah,but that he is a type of war-like messiah saving gentiles thru war or deception of war.This is nothing like the Muslim view on christ that sees Christ as honest and noble and a person that will end the Dajjal's rule,not enhance it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

Salaam Alaykum. 

The above book is fantastic. It has helped me connect better with Prophet Isa (عليه السلام) and his words have uplifted me spiritually too. It also highlights some similarities and differences between our beloved Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and Prophet Isa (عليه السلام). This book is a must read and I would highly recommend it. 

Thank you brother Qaim 

Wassalaam. 

• 4 months later...
  • Basic Members

Do we not find it interesting that the saying of Jesus according to Muslims are not found anywhere in any historical manuscripts until  after 700  years  after  Jesus  was  resurrected   >?

If  the  message  of  Jesus  according  to  Islam  was  unknown  to  Arabs   for   700   years  after  Jesus  had  left  the  earth  and  probably  unknown  to  the  world  outside  of  Arabia  for  nearly  1300  years 

this  means  that  the  world  outside  of  Islam  knew  nothing  about  the  true  Jesus  Christ  according  to  Islam  -  for  nearly  1,500  years 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum Administrators
On 12/10/2023 at 7:53 PM, Fear Not Love said:

Do we not find it interesting that the saying of Jesus according to Muslims are not found anywhere in any historical manuscripts until  after 700  years  after  Jesus  was  resurrected   >?

If  the  message  of  Jesus  according  to  Islam  was  unknown  to  Arabs   for   700   years  after  Jesus  had  left  the  earth  and  probably  unknown  to  the  world  outside  of  Arabia  for  nearly  1300  years 

this  means  that  the  world  outside  of  Islam  knew  nothing  about  the  true  Jesus  Christ  according  to  Islam  -  for  nearly  1,500  years 

You bring up some interesting points, so let me address them:

Theologically, everything that we need to know about Jesus is in the Quran, which was around by 632 AD. The Quran provides the essence: Jesus existed, he is the Messiah, he was one of the five greatest prophets and messengers, he was born of the virgin Mary, he was a Word of God, he performed miracles, he preached the Gospel, he taught pure monotheism, he did not tell people to worship him, he spoke of the Advocate coming after him, he will return, he is not in a Trinity, and the Jews did not kill or crucify him.

The hadith literature that you're referring to was an oral tradition in the 7th century, and then it was written in its permanent form mostly in the 8th-10th centuries. By 711 AD, the Islamic empire was already the biggest that the world had seen up until that point in time.

What Muhammad (s) taught about Jesus (عليه السلام) is not exactly novel. We actually agree on most of the above. The major point of disagreement is the Trinity. But the Trinity is never mentioned in the Bible, Jesus never teaches people that he is God and to worship him, and there were many early Christians that didn't believe this. Before Muhammad (s), the Ebionites, the Elchasaites, the Arians, and some Gnostics did not believe in 3 co-equal triune persons. We have strong reasons to believe that even mainstream Church Fathers like Irenaeus, Justin Martyr, and Origen were subordinationists. Some more modern Protestant denominations and offshoots also reject the Trinity, like the Unitarians, Christian Scientists, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, and Hebrew Israelites. There is also no shortage of renowned Christians who rejected Jesus’ co-equality with God the Father, including Sir Isaac Newton, John Adams, Leo Tolstoy, and Martin Luther King. They all used biblical and logical reasons for their position - they were not followers of Muhammad (s), nor were they influenced by the Quran.

The earliest book in the New Testament is probably Galatians by Paul, and it documents that there were already different competing gospels at his time (Galatians 1:6-9). He curses these different gospels, and then he goes on to talk about his disputes with the apostles of Christ (Peter, James, John). So the question goes back to you - if there were already different competing theologies just 15 years after Jesus, how is the outside world supposed to figure it out?

It would make more sense to go with the Jerusalem Church than to go with Paul, since Jesus essentially created the Jerusalem Church, and the apostles were selected by him and learned under him. The Jerusalem Church was "of the circumcision" (ie they followed law), and they remained this way until the Bar Kochba rebellion got Jerusalem destroyed in 134 AD.

You may believe that Paul truly had a vision of the real Jesus, fine. Muhammad (s) had revelations. Which revelation are we to believe and why?

Now, yes, you are right, there is a gap between Jesus' message and Muhammad's (s). Muslims have different views on what happened in that time and how God would judge the people of that period. But if you believe that one needs to believe in the Nicene creed in order to be saved, then the Early Church is in big, big trouble.

The basis of Islamic monotheism is simple: we do not worship any created thing. No creature or object can be God, because they have a beginning, they have an ending, they have limits, and they have needs. We do not make for ourselves “an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.” (Exodus 20:4) A person born on an island, with no access to a Bible or a Christian, can never come to know a Trinitarian God that consists of a Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. On the other hand, such a person could come to know a singular Creator. He may even develop a basic form of morality; but he would not be able to reproduce the doctrines of original sin or atonement. Whether it is Xenophanes in the fifth century BC, or the Great Spirit of aboriginal peoples, the One God is universal. A Quran and a prophet are not needed for one to come to monotheism. On the contrary, logic and intuition can only affirm a scripture and a prophet once they have already affirmed the everlasting God.

I hope you read and enjoy the book.

• 4 months later...
  • Advanced Member
On 12/14/2021 at 4:34 PM, Qa'im said:

I am humbled to announce the release of my new book, "The Good Shepherd: Jesus Christ in Islam". 

"The Good Shepherd" is a collection of sayings and stories of Jesus Christ from ancient Arabic sources, with Biblical cross-references. Rediscover the lost gospel in this retelling of the Greatest Story Ever Told. "The Good Shepherd" also includes an anthology of the Muslim Jesus from a diversity of Muslim, Christian, and Jewish authors. Jesus Christ offers otherworldly insight on wisdom, noble character, faith and spirituality, materialism, and the misuse of organized religion. The book includes over 200 citations from the most ancient and authoritative Muslim and Christian sources.

This 310 page book is available in paperback and on Kindle. It will be made available on all of Amazon's subsidiaries in the coming days.

I had several guest contributors for this book, including Mr. David Coolidge, Ms. Avellina Balestri, Ms. Tricia Pethic, Ms. Julia Kassem, El-Hajj Hisham Mahmoud, and two anonymous authors.

Table of Contents:

Introduction … Page 4
1. Jesus’ Birth and Childhood … … … … … … …   Page 12
2. Jesus and John the Baptist … … … … … … …   Page 22
3. The Failed Temptation … … … … … … … …   Page 27
4. Jesus’ Miracles … … … … … … … …  … … …  Page 37
5. Worldliness and Materialism… … … … … …    Page 49
6. The Value of Wisdom … … … … … … … …    Page 80
7. Corrupt Scholars … … … … … … … … … …   Page 92
8. God’s Revelations … … … … … … … … … …  Page 98
9. Noble Character … … … … … … … … … …  Page 129
10. Faith and Spirituality …  … … … … … … … …Page 148
11. Ascension and Return … … … … … ... … … ..  Page 169
12. Hail Mary, Mother of Christ … … …  … …..  Page 186
13. Sharing Jesus, Sharing Earth … … … … … …  Page 194
14. Meeting Jesus Again: A Jewish Perspective …  Page 203
15. Reconciliation of Jew and Jesus Through Islam.Page 211
16. Spring is Christ, the Trees are Mary … … … …Page 216
17. The Call of the Christ … … … … … … … …  Page 240
18. Zuhd and Jesus in the Qur’an … … … … … … Page 251
19. Digital Zuhd … … … … … … … … … … …  Page 262
20. Jesus as the Messiah in Islam … … … … … … Page 268
21. Jesus Christ, merely a prophet? … … … … … Page 273
22. The Apostles, the Early Church, and Islam … Page 281
23. Muslim Perspectives on St. Paul … … … … … Page 293
24. The Antichrist … … … … … … … … … … … Page 303

This book really highlights the role of `Isa (عليه السلام) as a spiritual reformer in an established society. His sayings focus on God-consciousness, materialism, minimalism, humility, intention, spirituality, and tazkiya. 

The process of writing this book has improved my religious life in insurmountable ways. I hope that reading it will have the same affect on you. Any questions and comments are welcome! Please keep me in your prayers.

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Shepherd-Jesus-Christ-Islam/dp/B09NH641BQ/

Jesus Christ, the messiah, son of Mary, word of God, mercy unto man. Soul of Allah (ruhollah) 

peace of the lord be unto holy christ (عليه السلام)