Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

how do we know which is correct?

Rate this topic

Guest muslim007

Guest muslim007

salam i hope you are all well.

i am in an unusual situation where i am stuck between sects right now. i am currently sunni but considering switching to shia islam. 

i’m just confused on how to know which sect is the right one, the hadith about 72 sects going to hell always worries me

also this seems so stupid but if Allah answers the duas of both sunni and shia muslims, can He not accept prayers/duas from both sides? why should there be just one right one?

• Advanced Member

:ws:

:bismillah:

14 hours ago, Guest muslim007 said:

also this seems so stupid but if Allah answers the duas of both sunni and shia muslims, can He not accept prayers/duas from both sides? why should there be just one right one?

It doesn't matter which religion a person adheres to, because Allah can answer the prayers of Ahlul Kitab as well. Of course, it's a lot easier to have prayers answered as a Muslim (Shia Muslim, according to Shias), they still can be answered as Ahlul Kitab, but this doesn't mean that Ahlul Kitab are correct.

i’m just confused on how to know which sect is the right one,

There are multiple reasons as to why Shia Islam is correct. Three are mentioned below.

1. Quran

There are multiple verses in the Holy Quran which (indirectly) mention the fact that Imam Ali (عليه السلام) was the greatest man after the Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). 

For example, take Surah Al-Ma'idah 5:55:

إِنَّمَا وَلِيُّكُمُ اللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا الَّذِينَ يُقِيمُونَ الصَّلَاةَ وَيُؤْتُونَ الزَّكَاةَ وَهُمْ رَاكِعُونَ

Only Allah is your Guardian and His Messenger and those who believe, those who keep up prayers and pay the poor-rate while they bow.

There are many Sunni Tafsir books which mention that this was revealed about Imam Ali:

Al-Majma’ Al-Awsat by al-Tabaraani , Hadith number 6414

Tafseer Durr al-Manthoor by Al-Suyuti, 2: 293

Tafseer Ibn Kathir, 7:394

and more.

Another Ayat about Imam Ali (عليه السلام) was Surah al-Bayyinah 98:7:

إِنَّ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ أُولَٰئِكَ هُمْ خَيْرُ الْبَرِيَّةِ

(As for) those who believe and do good, surely they are the best of men.

Ibn Abbas narrated that when the verse "(As for) those who believe and do good, surely they are the best of men"

was revealed, Rasulullah said to Ali:

"They are you and your Shi’a.”

Sunni references:

-al-Hafidh Jamaluddin al-Dharandi, on the authority of Ibn Abbas

-al-Sawa’iq al-Muhriqah, by Ibn Hajar, Ch. 11, section 1, pp 246-247

2. Hadith

There are multiple hadiths which show that Imam Ali (عليه السلام) was the true successor of the Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). Three are mentioned below.

1. Quran & AhlulBayt

Narrated Zayd Bin Arqam that Rasulullah said:

"I am leaving among you two weighty things: the one being the Book of Allah in which there is right guidance and light, so hold fast to the Book of Allah and adhere to it. The second are my AhlulBayt I remind you (of your duties) to my AhlulBayt."

Sunni source: 

Sahih Muslim Book 031, Hadith Number 5920

2. "For whomever I am his Master"

Narrated Abu Sarihah that Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) said:

"For whomever I am his Mawla (master) then Ali is his Mawla."

3. "What prevented you from reviling Abu Turab?"

Narrated Amir Ibn Sa'd Ibn Abi Waqqas:

"Mu'awiyah bin Abu Sufyan ordered Sa'd, saying,

"What prevented you from reviling Abu Turab?"

He said: "Three things that I remember from the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) prevent me from reviling him. That I should have even one those things is more beloved to me than red camels.

1. I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) speaking to 'Ali, and he had left him behind in one of his battles.

So 'Ali said to him: "O Messenger of Allah! You leave me behind with women and children?"

So the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said to him: "Are you not pleased that you should be in the position with me that Harun was with Musa? Except that there is no Prophethood after me?"

And on the Day of (the battle of) Khaibar, I heard him saying: "I shall give the banner to a man who loves Allah and His Messenger, and Allah and His Messenger love him."

So we all waited for that, then he said: "Call 'Ali for me."

So he came to him, and he had been suffering from Ramad (an eye condition), so he (ﷺ) put spittle in his eye and gave the banner to him, then Allah granted him victory.

And when this Ayah was revealed:

"Come, let us call our sons and your sons and our women and your women..." (3:61)

the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) called Ali, Fatimah, Hasan, and Husain and said: "O Allah, these are my family."

3. Imams of the Shia VS Imams of Ahlul Sunnah

(By 'imams of Ahlul Sunnah', I mean Abu Bakr, Umar, and Uthman)

There are dozens and dozens of Du'as which have been left behind for us by the 12 Imams. Dua Kumayl, Dua Nudba, Dua Tawassul, Dua Ahd, As-Sahifa As-Sajjadiyya etc.

Where are the Du'as from Abu Bakr, Umar, and Uthman?

Our Imams, especially Imam al-Baqir and Imam al-Sadiq, participated in many debates with Sunnis, atheists, Christians, Jews, Zoroastrians, Polytheists, and more.

Which debates did Abu Bakr, Umar, and Uthman participate in?

There are books which Sayyeda Fatima and our Imams have written which are unmatched even now, like Sahifa Alawiyya, Mushaf Fatima, As-Sahifa As-Sajjadiyya, Risalat al-Huquq, The Lantern of the Path, The Golden Dissertation etc.

Which books have Abu Bakr, Umar, and Uthman left for humanity?

Our sixth Imam, Imam al-Sadiq, taught thousands and thousands of students in his school. Some of these are Khawarizmi, also known as The Father of Algebra, Jabir Ibn Hayyan, also known as The Father of Early Chemistry, Abu Hanifa, Malik Ibn Anas, and many, many more.

Who have Abu Bakr, Umar, and Uthman taught?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) guide the entire Ummah.

• Advanced Member

Edited by Zane Ibrahim
mistake

• Advanced Member

:ws:

:bismillah:

It doesn't matter which religion a person adheres to, because Allah can answer the prayers of Ahlul Kitab as well. Of course, it's a lot easier to have prayers answered as a Muslim (Shia Muslim, according to Shias), they still can be answered as Ahlul Kitab, but this doesn't mean that Ahlul Kitab are correct.

i’m just confused on how to know which sect is the right one,

There are multiple reasons as to why Shia Islam is correct. Three are mentioned below.

1. Quran

There are multiple verses in the Holy Quran which (indirectly) mention the fact that Imam Ali (عليه السلام) was the greatest man after the Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). 

For example, take Surah Al-Ma'idah 5:55:

إِنَّمَا وَلِيُّكُمُ اللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا الَّذِينَ يُقِيمُونَ الصَّلَاةَ وَيُؤْتُونَ الزَّكَاةَ وَهُمْ رَاكِعُونَ

Only Allah is your Guardian and His Messenger and those who believe, those who keep up prayers and pay the poor-rate while they bow.

There are many Sunni Tafsir books which mention that this was revealed about Imam Ali:

Al-Majma’ Al-Awsat by al-Tabaraani , Hadith number 6414

Tafseer Durr al-Manthoor by Al-Suyuti, 2: 293

Tafseer Ibn Kathir, 7:394

and more.

Another Ayat about Imam Ali (عليه السلام) was Surah al-Bayyinah 98:7:

إِنَّ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ أُولَٰئِكَ هُمْ خَيْرُ الْبَرِيَّةِ

(As for) those who believe and do good, surely they are the best of men.

Ibn Abbas narrated that when the verse "(As for) those who believe and do good, surely they are the best of men"

was revealed, Rasulullah said to Ali:

"They are you and your Shi’a.”

Sunni references:

-al-Hafidh Jamaluddin al-Dharandi, on the authority of Ibn Abbas

-al-Sawa’iq al-Muhriqah, by Ibn Hajar, Ch. 11, section 1, pp 246-247

2. Hadith

There are multiple hadiths which show that Imam Ali (عليه السلام) was the true successor of the Holy Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). Three are mentioned below.

1. Quran & AhlulBayt

Narrated Zayd Bin Arqam that Rasulullah said:

"I am leaving among you two weighty things: the one being the Book of Allah in which there is right guidance and light, so hold fast to the Book of Allah and adhere to it. The second are my AhlulBayt I remind you (of your duties) to my AhlulBayt."

Sunni source: 

Sahih Muslim Book 031, Hadith Number 5920

2. "For whomever I am his Master"

Narrated Abu Sarihah that Rasulullah (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) said:

"For whomever I am his Mawla (master) then Ali is his Mawla."

3. "What prevented you from reviling Abu Turab?"

Narrated Amir Ibn Sa'd Ibn Abi Waqqas:

"Mu'awiyah bin Abu Sufyan ordered Sa'd, saying,

"What prevented you from reviling Abu Turab?"

He said: "Three things that I remember from the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) prevent me from reviling him. That I should have even one those things is more beloved to me than red camels.

1. I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) speaking to 'Ali, and he had left him behind in one of his battles.

So 'Ali said to him: "O Messenger of Allah! You leave me behind with women and children?"

So the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said to him: "Are you not pleased that you should be in the position with me that Harun was with Musa? Except that there is no Prophethood after me?"

And on the Day of (the battle of) Khaibar, I heard him saying: "I shall give the banner to a man who loves Allah and His Messenger, and Allah and His Messenger love him."

So we all waited for that, then he said: "Call 'Ali for me."

So he came to him, and he had been suffering from Ramad (an eye condition), so he (ﷺ) put spittle in his eye and gave the banner to him, then Allah granted him victory.

And when this Ayah was revealed:

"Come, let us call our sons and your sons and our women and your women..." (3:61)

the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) called Ali, Fatimah, Hasan, and Husain and said: "O Allah, these are my family."

3. Imams of the Shia VS Imams of Ahlul Sunnah

(By 'imams of Ahlul Sunnah', I mean Abu Bakr, Umar, and Uthman)

There are dozens and dozens of Du'as which have been left behind for us by the 12 Imams. Dua Kumayl, Dua Nudba, Dua Tawassul, Dua Ahd, As-Sahifa As-Sajjadiyya etc.

Where are the Du'as from Abu Bakr, Umar, and Uthman?

Our Imams, especially Imam al-Baqir and Imam al-Sadiq, participated in many debates with Sunnis, atheists, Christians, Jews, Zoroastrians, Polytheists, and more.

Which debates did Abu Bakr, Umar, and Uthman participate in?

There are books which Sayyeda Fatima and our Imams have written which are unmatched even now, like Sahifa Alawiyya, Mushaf Fatima, As-Sahifa As-Sajjadiyya, Risalat al-Huquq, The Lantern of the Path, The Golden Dissertation etc.

Which books have Abu Bakr, Umar, and Uthman left for humanity?

Our sixth Imam, Imam al-Sadiq, taught thousands and thousands of students in his school. Some of these are Khawarizmi, also known as The Father of Algebra, Jabir Ibn Hayyan, also known as The Father of Early Chemistry, Abu Hanifa, Malik Ibn Anas, and many, many more.

Who have Abu Bakr, Umar, and Uthman taught?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• Basic Members
On 12/6/2021 at 6:34 PM, Guest muslim007 said:

i’m just confused on how to know which sect is the right one, the hadith about 72 sects going to hell always worries me

Wsalam, 

I would not go into the Quranic and Hadith aspect of your question as @Zane Ibrahim has explained it very well. But just think logically and see which one sect is being isolated and attacked by all other sects. The answer is obvious ie Shii’sm. 

• Advanced Member
On 12/6/2021 at 7:04 AM, Guest muslim007 said:

salam i hope you are all well.

i am in an unusual situation where i am stuck between sects right now. i am currently sunni but considering switching to shia islam. 

Salam,

Almost every sect uses that Hadith and they claim their sect is the saved one.

If you are "considering" switching, then what is it that you are considering? Which factor is causing you to consider?

Edited by 145_turbo_16V