In the Name of God بسم الله

Imam Khoei's opinion on Muhammad Ibn Yahya Al Atar.

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Assalamu aleykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh 

I have an discussion with a Sunni about Mohammed Ibn Yahya Al Atar. He gave this website and Imam Khoei says that Muhammad Ibn Yahya Al Atar was not trustworthy. He is very common in the Hadith chain. The Hadiths can be Sahih. This Sunni says that the Hadith cannot be Sahih because Imam Khoei says it is not reliable. Can you please explain this to me. 

https://almerja.com/reading.php?idm=58087&fbclid=IwAR2lqwTUo5xkAEcV6OQvRvzlxklOvBnzwpR79XdklWkP3zxqA2gBu5mCP-s

• Veteran Member
15 hours ago, Dutchzahra said:

Assalamu aleykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh 

I have an discussion with a Sunni about Mohammed Ibn Yahya Al Atar. He gave this website and Imam Khoei says that Muhammad Ibn Yahya Al Atar was not trustworthy. He is very common in the Hadith chain. The Hadiths can be Sahih. This Sunni says that the Hadith cannot be Sahih because Imam Khoei says it is not reliable. Can you please explain this to me. 

Walaekum Assalam, 

Sister it looks that your sunni friend always tries to  misquote the Arabic text.  The following are the words of shia scholars for Muhammad Ibn Yahya Al Atar.

Abū Jaʿfar Muḥammad b. Yaḥyā al-ʿAṭṭār al-Qummī (Arabic: ابو جعفر محمد بن يحيی العطّار القمّي) one of the great personalities of Qom at his time and a teacher of al-Kulayni. He appears in the chains of transmitters of many hadiths in al-Kafi. He was a contemporary of Sa'd b. 'Abd Allah al-Ash'ari and Muhammad b. al-Hasan al-Saffar. He produced several works and was trusted by scholars. He is praised as being muwaththaq (trustworthy) and 'ayn (prominent personality). Since he used to work as a perfume-seller, he was called al-'Attar.

In the Eyes of Scholars:

"Those scholars of rijal who have mentioned Muhammad b. Yahya have praised his trustworthiness, honesty, knowledge, and righteousness. Al-Najashi writes:

"Muhammad b. Yahya, Abu Ja'far al-Qummi, was our teacher at his time. He was significant, trustworthy, and distinguished, who quoted many hadiths. He wrote many books, including Maqtal al-Husayn and al-Nawadir."

According to al-Shaykh al-Tusi and al-Hasan b. Dawud al-Hilli, he did not directly quote any hadiths from the Imams (a), but he was the trustworthy teacher of al-Kulayni.

Wherever al-Muhaddith al-Nuri mentions a hadith in whose chain of transmitters is Muhammad b. Yahya and the other transmitters are trustworthy, he writes:

"All of them are from trustworthy transmitters and there is no disagreement about them" or "This chain of transmitters is at the highest level of authenticity" or "All the transmitters in this chain are among the prominent figures, and there is no doubt about them."

Regarding a chain of transmitters which consists of Muhammad b. Yahya and other trustworthy hadith transmitters, Mirdamad writes: "It is sahih with excellent chain of transmitters." He has praised Muhammad b. Yahya for his trustworthiness, his abundant hadith transmission, and for being the teacher of al-Kulayni."

https://en.wikishia.net/view/Muhammad_b._Yahya_al-'Attar

wasalam

• Advanced Member
15 hours ago, Muslim2010 said:

Assalamu aleykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. 

No it's not my friend. We've had discussions with each other for some time now. 

Thank you so much. I did show him this website too, but he is still talking about Imam Khoei and says that he is important for the Shia. 

I don't understand Arabic and I tried to translate it, but the Translation didn't work perfectly. Can You translate a small part for me?

• Veteran Member
22 hours ago, Dutchzahra said:

1. A view of a scholar is not the final hujjah on any Shia but the verses of Quran and hadith of the prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) and Imams are hujja upon us, that a sunni do not intend to know.

2. I am presenting a translation of the last part of the Arabic text mentioned at the link:

A brief of his life:

Al-Sadouq satisfied with him, and narrated about him in "Al-Amali" and "Ayoun Akhbare Reza" and "Maani Alakbar " Sheikh Tusi narrated from him in “Tehzeeb Al ahkam”, “AlIstabsar” and about fifty-four hadith from the narrations of the imams of the Ahl albyat (عليه السلام).- Ahmed narrated it about his father, and : Hussein bin Obaidullah al-Ghadiari, and Abu Al-Hussein bin Abi Jed al-Qumi, narrated it about him

Harun ibn Musa al-Talkbari (356 Ah) heard from him, and he had Ijaza, and Al-Najashi mentioned the translator's narration from Saad bin Abdullah and Abdullah bin Jaafar al-Hamri.*

(This is approximate translation  as i am not a native Arabic speaker).

However the above statement mentioned provide the words recorded by Al-khoe about Abū Jaʿfar Muḥammad b. Yaḥyā al-ʿAṭṭār al-Qummī. and these seem satisfactory.

wasalam 

Edited by Muslim2010

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 12/3/2021 at 6:23 PM, Muslim2010 said:

assalamu aleykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh 

Thank you so mcuh. May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless you. I am so sorry. I didn't see your reply, but thank you so much for your hard work. 

• Advanced Member

If he's trying to force you to accept Sayyed Khoe's opinions, you have to make it clear that we have a bigger range of opinions on these issues than what they do.

They can't just treat Sayyed Khoe as if he was the Shia-equivalent of Albani. In fact he -like all of our scholars- does reject hadiths because of their matn despite being saheeh or hasan, which is NOT something Albani would do.

Edited by Mark Enlightment