Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

The things Jesus the Messiah did

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I read these verses faithfully recounting the acts of Jesus the Messiah as recorded by his friend Metthew (chapter 8)

14 When Jesus came into Peter’s house, he saw Peter’s mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever. 15 He touched her hand and the fever left her, and she got up and began to wait on him. 16 When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to him, and he drove out the spirits with a word and healed all who were ill. 17 This was to fulfil what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah:

‘He took up our infirmities
    and bore our diseases.’

(Isaiah 53:4 Surely he took up our pain
    and bore our suffering,)

What does this account tell us about Jesus the Messiah?  What kind of person was he?  What authority did he have in the spiritual world?

• Advanced Member

Another account reported by Matthew Jesus the Messiah's friend (Chapter 8)

23 Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. 24 Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”

26 He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.

27 The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

The prophet David wrote a song of praise to God Almighty (Zebur Psalm 107)

28 Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble,
    and he brought them out of their distress.
29 He stilled the storm to a whisper;
    the waves of the sea were hushed.

• Advanced Member

I recall listening to Sayed Ammar Nakshawani give a lecture about one of the Imams (عليه السلام) - and I am unable to remember which Imam(عليه السلام) said this but had said [paraphrased] "if you have seen/heard me, then you have seen/heard God!" Dr. Nakshawani then goes on to say that the Imam was not declaring he was God but reminding what they heard was in and from the presence of God. May God forgive my mistakes in retelling this.

A similiar account in regarding Imam al-Rida(عليه السلام) in which he invoked his authority as God's vicegerent to end a drought from Sayed Mahdi Modaressi:

Hearing this may give you an idea of the authority of Jesus(عليه السلام) through his works. 

Edited by Joshua Bin Medellin

• Advanced Member

Some of the Miracles of the Holy Imams ((عليه السلام).)

‘Ali bin Mugheera narrates that in Imam Musa al-Kadhim (عليه السلام) was at Mina when he passed near a woman who, along with her children, was lamenting about the death of her cow. The Imam (عليه السلام) asked her the reason for her sorrow.
The woman said, “My children are orphaned and the cow was the only source of sustenance for us.”
The Imam (عليه السلام) said, “Shall I put the cow back to life for you?”
The Woman said, “Yes.”
The Imam (عليه السلام) offered two Rakat of prayer, went near the cow and kicked it, saying, “Qum beizn Allah! – Rise with Allah’s Orders” The cow was restored to life.
Seeing this the woman cried, “You are no doubt, ‘Isa bin Maryam (عليه السلام)!” The Imam (عليه السلام) mingled with the crowd discreetly to avoid the attention of the people.

Imam Ja’far As-Sadiq (عليه السلام) narrates that when Amir’ul-Mu’mineen ‘Ali (عليه السلام) decided to proceed for the battle of Siffin, he crossed the river Euphrates and reached near a hill. It was the time of Asr prayer and therefore he did his ablution mandatory prior to any prayer. The call for prayer, the Adhaan, was given when the hill broke asunder and a loud sound came, “O Vicegerent of the Last Prophet (S)! O Chief of the believers! Greetings to you!”
In reply the Imam (عليه السلام) said, “My greeting too, O brother Shamoun bin Hamoun, the Vicegerent of ‘Isa (عليه السلام) bin Marium! How are you!”
In reply Shamoun said, “Alhamdu Lillah!” He also said that he was awaiting the arrival of prophet ‘Isa (عليه السلام) that he comes and helps Amir’ul-Mu’mineen ‘Ali (as)’s son and Vicegerent. He added, “O Amir’ul-Mu’mineen (عليه السلام)! If those people had realised your position in the eyes of the Creator, they would never have thought of fighting with you. If the persons, who have come forward to help you, had known about your status, they would fight in your cause till any part of their bodies remained!”
Then Amir’ul-Mu’mineen ‘Ali (عليه السلام) offered his prayer. Amongst his companions there were Ammar bin Yassir, Malik al-Ashtar, Bin Abbas etc. They asked him, “O Amir’ul-Mu’mineen (عليه السلام)! Whose voice was that?” He replied, “It was Shamoun the Vicegerent of prophet ‘Isa (عليه السلام).”
Ibada Asadi narrates that, once he went to the presence of Amir’ul-Mu’mineen ‘Ali (عليه السلام). The Imam was busy conversing with a person. After the person departed, he asked the Imam (عليه السلام) who that person was.
He replied, “He was Haroon (عليه السلام), the Vicegerent of Prophet Musa (عليه السلام)!”

Salman Jafferi narrates that he was sitting with Imam Ar-Ridha’ (عليه السلام) in his garden. At that time a bird came, started rolling on the ground. The Imam (عليه السلام) went inside the house for a while. On his return, he asked me, “O Salman! Do you know what this bird was complaining about?” I said, “I don’t know!”
The Imam (عليه السلام) said, “A snake was eating away its chicks. Even today the snake came to swallow its chicks.The bird came to complain to me about the snake. I went and killed the snake!”

Ahmed bin Haroon narrates that once Imam Musa al-Kadhim (عليه السلام) came to my tent and left his horse near the rope of the tent and started conversing with me. Suddenly the horse made a loud noise. The Imam (عليه السلام) smiled hearing this and told to the horse, “Go relieve yourself and come back!” The horse went some distance away from the tent, relieved itself and came back. The Imam (عليه السلام) said, “O Bin Haroon! You know that Allah has given more miracles to Muhammad (عليه السلام) and the descendents of Muhammad (عليه السلام) than to Dawood (عليه السلام) and the progeny of Dawood (عليه السلام).”

Muhammad bin Muslim narrates that he was travelling with Imam Muhammad Al-Baqir (عليه السلام) from Mecca to Medina when a wolf came down a hill and running towards the Imam (as)’s horse. It raised the forelimbs sky-wards and put its face to the ground. The Imam (عليه السلام) bent down and heard what the wolf way saying. He then told something to the wolf. The wolf was satisfied and ran away. The Imam (عليه السلام) then asked me what had transpired between him and the wolf. When I said that I couldn’t comprehend anything, the Imam (عليه السلام) said, “The wolf’s female is in the pains of delivery. It said that we are the resolvers of difficulties and it wanted me to pray that the delivery became easy for its female. It also wanted me to pray that its off springs don’t cause harm to our Shi’as.”

It is narrated that one day Imam Zain-ul-’Abidin (عليه السلام) was sitting with his companions when one female deer, a doe, came complaining. The Imam (عليه السلام) asked the companions about what the animal was saying. When the companions expressed their ignorance, the Imam (عليه السلام) said, “The deer said that a certain Qureishi has captured its little one, the fawn. She requested me to recommend its release so that it can be suckled. It would return the fawn to the Qureishi after feeding it.”
The Imam (عليه السلام) then asked his companions to accompany him to the Qureishi’s house. He called the person and told him to release the fawn that it would get a feed from its mother and comes back. The Qureishi brought the cub, the deer fed it and returned to the man. The Imam (عليه السلام) asked the Qureishi to give the little fawn to him. The man readily agreed. The Imam (عليه السلام) then returned the fawn to its mother. The deer raised its head towards the Heaven as if it was saying a prayer. The companions asked the Imam (عليه السلام), what the deer was saying.
The Imam (عليه السلام) replied, “The deer was praying to Allah that the way we helped her to get its little one, our children to be safe with us!”

It is narrated that one day Amir’ul-Mu’mineen ‘Ali (عليه السلام) was seated in the Koofa Mosque with his companions They asked him, “How is that more wealth and riches have been bestowed by Allah on your foes than your friends?”
Amir’ul-Mu’mineen ‘Ali (عليه السلام) replied, “Do you think that we aver the worldly riches, and that Allah is not bestowing them on us! “Saying this, he picked up a handful of pebbles from the ground. They saw that all the pebbles turned into precious stones.

Abdu Samad bin ‘Ali narrates that a person went to Imam Zain-ul-’Abidin (عليه السلام) and said that he was a sooth-sayer. The Imam (عليه السلام) told him that he would tell him of a person who has, since you have arrived here, has travelled around fourteen worlds, each one thrice as large as This!”
The man asked, “Who could be such a person?”
The Imam (عليه السلام) said, “I am that person! If you ask I can tell you in detail what you have eaten today and what all you have hidden in your house!”

‘Ali bin Hasan says that while he was at Sammurah he heard that a person was arrested and brought from Syria with the accusation that he had claims to prophet hood. ‘Ali went to the person and made some inquiries with him. The man said, “I was at the place in Syria where the severed head of Imam Husayn (عليه السلام) was kept. While I was offering prayer, a person appeared and said,’ Get up and come with me!’ I went with the person.
After a while we reached the Mosque of Koofa. He asked me if I recognized the place. I replied in the affirmative. Both of us offered prayer there and were blessed with the sighting of the Prophet (S).Then we reached Mecca and performed Hajj. Immediately after the Hajj I found myself again in Syria and the person I had accompanied had vanished. The following year same person again met me and took me round, as he did earlier, and brought me back to Syria. I was surprised and under an oath of the Creator asked him as to who he was? He stood with his head bent for a while and then said, ‘I am Muhammad bin ‘Ali bin Musa (عليه السلام)!’ This news spread like wildfire and Abdul Malik called and imprisoned me.”
I asked him to write down all the details and petition for his release. I provided a quill and ink to the man. He wrote down the details and sent the petition to Abdul Malik. Abdul Malik wrote back saying that one who could take him round to all the places in one night, can as well release him!
When I heard this outcome of his petition, I started crying but I also tried to commiserate with the person. The next day I went to the gaol? to inquire about the person. The gaolers? were confounded as to where the prisoner would have vanished despite the strict vigilance.

It is narrated by Abd Allah bin Sinan that Imam Ja’far As-Sadiq (عليه السلام) said, “We own a pond that lies between Basra and Yemen. Would you like to see it?”
Abd Allah said, “I shall certainly like to see the pond!”
The Imam (عليه السلام) held his hand and brought him out of Medina and hit his foot on the ground. A canal became visible, one side of which very pure water flowed and on the other side flowed milk of the highest purity. In the center of the canal flew a beverage of red hue. The scene was very attractive.
Abd Allah said, “My Master! Where is this canal!”
The Imam (عليه السلام) replied, “Allah has referred of this canal in the Holy Qur’an. This is one of the canals in the Heaven!”

Abdallah noticed very pretty houris on the branches of the trees along the banks of the canal. They held goblets of different hues in their hands. The Imam (عليه السلام) looked towards one tree which bent low and the houri thereon offered him a cup from which the Imam (عليه السلام) drank the beverage and gave some to him too. He had never tasted such a delicious sherbet.
The Imam (عليه السلام) said, “This will be the resting place for our Shi’as when they enter the Heaven. Their thirst will be quenched with the Sharab al-Tahoor and our enemies, when they die, will be taken to the Valley of Barhoot where they will be fed on Zhaqoom (a bitter fruit) and they will get Hameem (very hot water) to drink. May Allah protect people from the hardships of this valley!”

Jabir Jaufi narrates that he asked Imam Ja’far As-Sadiq (عليه السلام) to tell him about the journey made by prophet Ibrahim (عليه السلام) under Allah’s orders to the Dominions (Malkoot) of the earth and the Firmament. He was sitting with his head bent when the Imam (عليه السلام) pointed skywards with his finger and said, “Look up!” When he looked up, he saw the roof of the house developed a hole and there was a strange light in the sky. The Imam (عليه السلام) said, “Prophet Ibrahim (عليه السلام) had seen the malkoot of the sky and the earth like this!” The Imam (عليه السلام) asked me to look down. I did, and found the roof of the house intact again.
Then the Imam (عليه السلام) held my hand and took me to another place and said, “Do you know what place is this! This is the place where Dhual Qarnain went, this is called thulmat (the region of darkness).” Jabir said, “O Master! Can I open my eyes?” The Imam (عليه السلام) said, “You may open your eyes, but you cannot see anything in the darkness!”

Then the Imam (عليه السلام) took him to another place. He said, “This is the ma’ul Hayat (the water of Eternal Life) which Al-Khidr (عليه السلام) had drunk.” Then the Imam (عليه السلام) added, “These are the domains of the sky and the earth that prophet Ibrahim (عليه السلام) was taken around.”
Then the Imam (عليه السلام) took Jabir on a trip to many other worlds in the universe. Alas, the Imam (عليه السلام) asked him to open his eyes. When he opened his eyes he found himself in the same place from where they went. Jabir asked the Imam (عليه السلام), “My Master! How much time we have spent going round?” the Imam (عليه السلام) replied, “Three hours!”

Imam Muhammad Al-Baqir (عليه السلام) narrates that Du al Qarnain was given the authority to select one of the two types of clouds (Sahab)—the Sahab al-Zalool (the soft clouds) or the Sahab al-Saab (the hard clouds). Du al Qarnain selected Sahab al-Zalool and left the Sahab al-Saab for the Holy Imams (عليه السلام).
The Imam (عليه السلام) was asked, “What is Sahab al-Saab?”
The Imam (عليه السلام) said, “It is the cloud that has thunder, lightning, and thunderbolt. The Saheb-al-Amr, the Twelfth Imam (a.j.), will ride on these clouds on his weekly trips of the Seven layers of the universe.”

https://www.erfan.ir/english/89964.html

• Advanced Member

Thank you for these accounts.  It is interesting to read about miracles that are atributed to leaders of the communities.  The video was helpful in commenting that there was a purpose behind the story.  It shows us who we are before God.

What is the purpose of a miracle?  We can see God's authority over nature, over sickness, over evil spirits, over death.  So we recognise our utter dependence on God in the face of the challenges of life.

Today as I face life's challenges I call out to God for his help.  I too can see God act in my life and in answer to my prayers.  It is not because of who I am but because I pray in the name and with the authority of Jesus the Messiah.  He did wonderful things when he was living on earth.  Becaue he rose from death and is still alive, his authority is still affective today.

• Advanced Member

Here is another account which Matthew, Jesus' companion, recalls (Chapter 9)

Jesus stepped into a boat, crossed over and came to his own town. Some men brought to him a paralyzed man, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the man, “Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.”

At this, some of the teachers of the law said to themselves, “This fellow is blaspheming!”

Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, “Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts? Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’? But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” So he said to the paralyzed man, “Get up, take your mat and go home.” Then the man got up and went home. When the crowd saw this, they were filled with awe; and they praised God, who had given such authority to man.

It is interesting to see the different reactions to Jesus the Messiah's words and actions.  I wonder how we react to what he did and said?

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

Thank you for these accounts.  It is interesting to read about miracles that are atributed to leaders of the communities

The lives of the Imams and the Fourteen Infallibles(عليه السلام) are critically vital in understanding Wilayah and the Leadership appointed by Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى)

Edited by Joshua Bin Medellin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Reading again about the things that Jesus the Messiah did, I am struck by how he gave each person importance and lifted each person from shame and isolation, in a way that was unique to them.  here is another account of things that Jesus the Messiah did faitfully recorded for our benefit. (Matthew chapter 9)

a synagogue leader came and knelt before Jesus and said, “My daughter has just died. But come and put your hand on her, and she will live.” 19 Jesus got up and went with him, and so did his disciples.

20 Just then a woman who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak. 21 She said to herself, “If I only touch his cloak, I will be healed.”

22 Jesus turned and saw her. “Take heart, daughter,” he said, “your faith has healed you.” And the woman was healed at that moment.

23 When Jesus entered the synagogue leader’s house and saw the noisy crowd and people playing pipes, 24 he said, “Go away. The girl is not dead but asleep.” But they laughed at him. 25 After the crowd had been put outside, he went in and took the girl by the hand, and she got up. 26 News of this spread through all that region.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Jesus the Messiah had a different agenda to the religious leaders of his day.  In this acount we see how Jesus has compassion on a person and at the same times teaches an impotant truth about over focusing on religious ritual or man made additons to the will of God.  Matthew Chapter 12

Going on from that place, Jesus went into their synagogue, 10 and a man with a shriveled hand was there. The religious leaders were looking for a reason to bring charges against Jesus, they asked him, “Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?”

11 He said to them, “If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? 12 How much more valuable is a person than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.”

13 Then he said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” So he stretched it out and it was completely restored, just as sound as the other. 14 But the Pharisees went out and plotted how they might kill Jesus.

What lesson can we learn about our own religious life from this story?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Matthew tells us of another experience which he had as he lived alongside Jesus the Messiah - Matthew Chapter 14

13 When Jesus heard what had happened, he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place. Hearing of this, the crowds followed him on foot from the towns. 14 When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick. 15 As evening approached, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a remote place, and it’s already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food.”

16 Jesus replied, “They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.”

17 “We have here only five loaves of bread and two fish,” they answered.

18 “Bring them here to me,” he said. 19 And he directed the people to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people. 20 They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. 21 The number of those who ate was about five thousand men, besides women and children.

Some people suggest that this event is refered to in the Qur'an Al-Ma'idah 5:113-115

By providing food for these people what do you think Jesus the Messiah wanted to teach the people?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Straight after the event where Jesus the Messiah fed many people Matthew tell us something else about what Jesus the Messiah did.  This act caused an amazing reaction in the people who witnessed it.  Matthew Chapter 14

22 Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. 23 After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone, 24 and the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it. 25 Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. ‘It’s a ghost,’ they said, and cried out in fear.

27 But Jesus immediately said to them: ‘Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.’

28 ‘Lord, if it’s you,’ Peter replied, ‘tell me to come to you on the water.’   29 ‘Come,’ he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came towards Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, ‘Lord, save me!’

31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. ‘You of little faith,’ he said, ‘why did you doubt?’

32 And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33 Then those who were in the boat worshipped him, saying, ‘Truly you are the Son of God.’

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Another event in the life of Jesus the Messiah.  God said an amazing thing to Jesus the Messiah during this event.  This is the account that Matthew records in Chapter 17.  Luke and Mark also write about this - it must have been very important to them.

After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.

Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.”

While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”

When the disciples heard this, they fell facedown to the ground, terrified. But Jesus came and touched them. “Get up,” he said. “Don’t be afraid.” When they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus.

This is a very different event what does it say about Jesus and What was God affirming when he spoke from the cloud?

I'd love to find out your thoughts.  Thanks!

• Advanced Member

Hi

And when I inspired the Disciples, [saying], ‘Have faith in Me and My apostle,’ they said, ‘We have faith. Bear witness that we are Muslims.’ (111) When the Disciples said, ‘O Jesus son of Mary! Can your Lord send down to us a table from the sky?’ Said he, ‘Be wary of Allah, should you be faithful.’ (112) They said, ‘We desire to eat from it, and our hearts will be at rest: we shall know that you have told us the truth, and we shall be among the witnesses to it.’ (113)

Said Jesus son of Mary, ‘O Allah! Our Lord! Send down to us a table from the sky, to be a festival for us, for the first ones and the last ones among us and as a sign from You, and provide for us; for You are the best of providers.’ (114) Allah said, ‘I will indeed send it down to you. But should any of you disbelieve after this, I will indeed punish him with a punishment such as I do not punish anyone in all creation.’ (115) And when Allah will say, ‘O Jesus son of Mary! Was it you who said to the people, ‘‘Take me and my mother for gods besides Allah’’?’ He will say, ‘Immaculate are You! It does not behoove me to say what I have no right to [say]. Had I said it, You would certainly have known it: You know whatever is in my self, and I do not know what is in Your Self. Indeed, You are knower of all that is Unseen. (116) I did not say to them [anything] except what You had commanded me [to say]: ‘‘Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord.’’ And I was a witness to them so long as I was among them. But when You had taken me away, You Yourself were watchful over them, and You are witness to all things. (117) If You punish them, they are indeed Your creatures; but if You forgive them, You are indeed the All-mighty, the All-wise.’ (118) Allah will say, ‘This day truthfulness shall benefit the truthful. For them there will be gardens with streams running in them, to remain in them forever. Allah is pleased with them and they are pleased with Him. That is the great success.’ (119) To Allah belongs the kingdom of the heavens and the earth and whatever there is in them, and He has power over all things. (120)

https://tanzil.net/#trans/en.qarai/5:114

• Advanced Member
On 2/10/2022 at 9:48 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

And when I inspired the Disciples, [saying], ‘Have faith in Me and My apostle,’ they said, ‘We have faith. Bear witness that we are Muslims.’ (111)

On 2/6/2022 at 4:09 PM, Dave follower of The Way said:

“This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”

There is a link here between these two verses.  One encourages Jesus' disciples to have faith in Jesus and in the other God commands the disciples to listen to Jesus.

God is calling us to enage with Jesus the Messiah through what he does and what he says.

The records of Jesus the Messiah's teaching and life recorded in the Injil give us many things to think about and consider.  God does not want us to ignore these records, they will increase our faith and guide us to the truth.

• Advanced Member

I have continued to look at the account of Jesus that Matthew his friend records.  This story is a bit different.  What does it tell us about Jesus the Messiah's attitude to authority and government?  What is the implication in Jesus the Messiah's question to Peter?

24 After Jesus and his disciples arrived in Capernaum, the collectors of the two-drachma temple tax came to Peter and asked, “Doesn’t your teacher pay the temple tax?”

25 “Yes, he does,” he replied.

When Peter came into the house, Jesus was the first to speak. “What do you think, Peter?” he asked. “From whom do the kings of the earth collect duty and taxes—from their own children or from others?”

26 “From others,” Peter answered.

“Then the children are exempt,” Jesus said to him. 27 “But so that we may not cause offense, go to the lake and throw out your line. Take the first fish you catch; open its mouth and you will find a four-drachma coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Reading more about the life of Jesus the Messiah as Matthew recorded it, I came to this event (Chapter 19)

13 Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them.

14 Jesus said, ‘Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.’ 15 When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there.

A very short passage but what does it tell us about Jesus the Messiah and the Way God reigns in his kingdom?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Jesus the Messiah was travelling to Jerusalem during the last few weeks before his crucifixion This story is about a named person who people knew, most probably still living when the account was written down. (Mark chapter 10)

46 They came to Jericho. As he and his disciples and a large crowd were leaving Jericho, Bartimaeus son of Timaeus, a blind beggar, was sitting by the roadside. 47 When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout out and say, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” 48 Many sternly ordered him to be quiet, but he cried out even more loudly, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”

49 Jesus stood still and said, “Call him here.” And they called the blind man, saying to him, “Take heart; get up, he is calling you.” 50 So throwing off his cloak, he sprang up and came to Jesus. 51 Then Jesus said to him, “What do you want me to do for you?” The blind man said to him, “My teacher, let me see again.” 52 Jesus said to him, “Go; your faith has made you well.” Immediately he regained his sight and followed him on the way.

When I read this story I ask myself: If Jesus the Messiah asked me What do you want me to do for you?”, how would I answer?

Can you put yourself in the scene and hear the question?

• Advanced Member

As Jesus the Messiah continued his  journey to Jerusalem, he met someone else. Again this person is mentioned by name.  Luke chapter 19 gives an accountof this event.

If Jesus the Messiah came to your house, what would you do and say? 

Some background at the time of Jewsus the Messiah tax collectors were considered trators because they worked for the occupying power (the Romans) and also they we despised because they asked for too much tax in order to get rich themselves.

Jesus The Messiah entered Jericho and was passing through it. A man was there named Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and was rich. He was trying to see who Jesus was, but on account of the crowd he could not, because he was short in stature. So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore tree to see him, because he was going to pass that way. When Jesus came to the place, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, hurry and come down; for I must stay at your house today.” So he hurried down and was happy to welcome him. All who saw it began to grumble and said, “He has gone to be the guest of one who is a sinner.” Zacchaeus stood there and said to the Lord, “Look, half of my possessions, Lord, I will give to the poor; and if I have defrauded anyone of anything, I will pay back four times as much.” Then Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because he too is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of Man came to seek out and to save the lost.”