Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What is the utility of caring about others?

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

:salam:

Don’t get me wrong. I know it’s the right thing to do (perhaps due to 30:30 فِطرَتَ اللَّهِ الَّتي فَطَرَ النّاسَ عَلَيها). But why?

Some people find perfection in wanting their own benefit, even if it’s at the expense of others. Why are they wrong?

Let’s extend this concept a little further.

Why should we repel evil with good? 

And not alike are the good and the evil. Repel (evil) with what is best, when lo! he between whom and you was enmity would be as if he were a warm friend. (41:34)

Mu’adh ibn Anas reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “The best of virtues is that you maintain relations with one who cuts you off, that you give to one who deprives you, and that you forgive one who insults you.”

Source: Musnad Aḥmad 15191

Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Suyuti

عَنْ مُعَاذِ بْنِ أَنَسٍ عَنْ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ أَفْضَلُ الْفَضَائِلِ أَنْ تَصِلَ مَنْ قَطَعَكَ وَتُعْطِيَ مَنْ مَنَعَكَ وَتَصْفَحَ عَمَّنْ شَتَمَكَ

@Dave follower of The Way

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, notme said:

When one member of society is doing poorly, it brings suffering to all members of society

Thanks. Would you be able to elucidate further?

For instance, how does the suffering in Yemen harm people in wealthy countries like Canada or Australia?

Your response does bring to my mind this hadith:

Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "You see the believers as regards their being merciful among themselves and showing love among themselves and being kind, resembling one body, so that, if any part of the body is not well then the whole body shares the sleeplessness (insomnia) and fever with it."

https://sunnah.com/bukhari:6011

Guest Guest
5 hours ago, 313_Waiter said:

Thanks. Would you be able to elucidate further?

For instance, how does the suffering in Yemen harm people in wealthy countries like Canada or Australia?

Your response does bring to my mind this hadith:

Being kind. There is probably not much you can do about the situations in life, but many people strive to help. And be kind. 

Kindness is a mark of faith, and whoever is not kind has no faith.

-prophet Muhammad 

be sympathetic to the issues and say Alhamdillah always, someone always has it 100x times worse

• Moderators
10 hours ago, 313_Waiter said:

Every individual has a unique purpose in life. When they are suffering, there is risk of that purpose not being accomplished. In most cases the effects are local, but you never know how it will ripple out into the world. Some uncommon people's lives are bigger than their home community, for better or worse, and we never know who those people might be so best to always try to uplift as widely across the world as we are reasonably able. 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Kindness is a mark of faith, and whoever is not kind has no faith.

-prophet Muhammad 

Thanks for this beautiful quote. Do you happen to have source? 

Guest Guest
16 minutes ago, notme said:

Thanks for this beautiful quote. Do you happen to have source? 

I don’t usually quote hadiths since I don’t know how to authenticate them. But it lines up with what the protphet preaches. 

Kindness is a mark of faith, and whoever is not kind has no faith.

if you copy and paste it you can see it in google it says (Muslim) hadith. I don’t know how or where to search up hadiths 

• Advanced Member

@313_Waiter thanks for inviting me into this discussion.

I see the reason we care for others goes right back to creation.  God made all people in his image - Genisis chapter 1.  So each one of us has a responsibility towards the image of God in every other person.

26 Then God said, ‘Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, .......

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
    in the image of God he created them;
    male and female he created them.

There is also the challenge given by Jesus the Messiah, repeating the injunction of God in the Torah, to love others (your neighbour) as you love yourself.

The hadith and the quote from the Qur'an about our attitude to our enemies reflects another statement given by Jesus the Messiah.  "Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who ill-treat you."

I like the picture that has been given of the whole of humanity being like a body and when one part suffers it affects the other parts.  Jesus the Messiah encoraged us to "weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice"

When I see the suffering in Yemen or Afghanistan, it affects me.  I want to weep with these people.  I want to rise up and protest about those who are inflicting the suffering whether directly or indirectly through funding arms or cutting aid.  As a Christian community we pray regularly for these people and countries that peace and an end to suffering will come.  There are others from our community (and I'm sure other groups) who go and get involved through NGOs or medical and educational projects.

So what is the use of caring for others?  We are all part of a whole and God made it that way so that each person would be provided for.  Not caring for others results in the breakdown of society and pain and suffering for the poor and marginalised.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
On 10/28/2021 at 5:09 PM, Dave follower of The Way said:

26 Then God said, ‘Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, .......

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
    in the image of God he created them;
    male and female he created them.

In this connection, there is a narration attributed to Imam Ali and Imam Sadiq, peace be upon them who say: "The human face is the greatest of divine proofs for God's creatures and that is a book which God wrote with His (mighty) hand as well a structure which God built up with His wisdom."[17]

https://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/en22122

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235072713-imam-ali-quote-meaning/?tab=comments#comment-3365475

• Advanced Member
On 11/16/2021 at 9:40 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

In this connection, there is a narration attributed to Imam Ali and Imam Sadiq, peace be upon them who say: "The human face is the greatest of divine proofs for God's creatures and that is a book which God wrote with His (mighty) hand as well a structure which God built up with His wisdom."[17]

This is a really high calling.  It demands thqat we value and respect every individual.  Each person is an expression of God's wisdom and as he never makes a mistake each one of us is an expression of his wise plans and actions.

What are the consiquences of this?  A few come to mind, maybe you can think of others.

• There should be no room for racism in our thoughts, words and actions.
  • We should respect and honour people of other gender
  • Prejudice based on place in society, wealth, faith, employment should have no place in the minds of a follower of the creator.
  • We should seek to serve and care for our spouce rather than expect them to serve us.

Lord God creator of all, forgive us for degrading your wisdom by our atitudes to others especially those who are different from us.  Give us your strength and your vision to see your wisdom and your story in each person we meet. - Amen