Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Islamic esotericism and occultism

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

@313_Waiter, I'll peek at it when I get a chance...thanks!

Edited by Eddie Mecca

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

@313_Waiter, Much interesting information presented...disagree with certain conclusions and phraseology however 

• Veteran Member
On 11/9/2021 at 12:55 PM, Eddie Mecca said:

@313_Waiter, Much interesting information presented...disagree with certain conclusions and phraseology however 

I found it especially interesting how he referred to the Imams (عليه السلام) as the main source of Islamic esotericism.

After all there is the sufi saying attributed to Imam Ali (عليه السلام):

And know that all of Allāh’s (تعالى) secrets are in the heavenly books, and all of the secrets of the heavenly books are in the Qur’ān. And all of which is in the Qur’ān is in al-Fātiḥah, and all of which is in al-Fātiḥah is in bismillah, and all of which is in bismillah is in the bā’ of bismillah, and all of which is in the bā’ in bismillah is the dot (nuqṭah) which is under the bā’. Imām `Alī (عليه السلام) said: “I am the dot which is under the bā’”

al-Durr al-Mandham fī al-Surr al-A`dham

Edited by 313_Waiter

• Moderators

We should not forget that the ghulat tends to lean exactly to these kind of interpretations, the claims of possessing secret knowledge or ma'rifeh. And in the times of the Imams (عليه السلام) the correct ones were those who leaned to jurisprudence. 

Read more here https://www.iqraonline.net/conflicts-between-jurists-and-ghulat-in-the-time-of-imam-al-sadiq-a/

Edited by Abu Nur

• Advanced Member
On 11/11/2021 at 7:44 AM, 313_Waiter said:

I found it especially interesting how he referred to the Imams (عليه السلام) as the main source of Islamic esotericism.

After all there is the sufi saying attributed to Imam Ali (عليه السلام):

Salam 

The Exoteric Imamate as the Omnipresent Esoteric in Shi’a Hiero-History 

By Amitai Abouzaglo

Unlike certain classical histories of the Islamic world, the Shi’a worldview does not fixate on golden ages of the past but rather is built around the eschatological landscape that is to blossom in the messianic age. For the Shi’a, the past is essentially unjust; the future, meanwhile, contains the ultimately revealing (and avenging) age.

JAʿFAR AL-ṢĀDEQ iv. And Esoteric sciences

According to Imami-Shiʿite tradition, his knowledge concerned “the exoteric (al-ẓāher), the esoteric (al-bāṭen), and the esoteric of the esoteric (bāṭen al-bāṭen)” (Āmoli, p. 33; Corbin, pp. 188-89). “Our science, Jaʿfar is reported to have said, is immemorial and written in venerable books; it is engraved in the hearts and fixed in the ears. We have in our possession the red Jafr, the white Jafr, the Book of Fāṭema (Masḥaf Fāṭema) and al-Jāmeʿa (the “Encompassing”)” (Shaikh Mofid, p. 274).

https://iranicaonline.org/articles/jafar-al-sadeq-iv-and-esoteric-sciences

On 11/11/2021 at 11:24 PM, Lion of Shia said:

isnt the occult haram in shia islam?

Salam , If you mean current  popular Occult which is based on asking help from evils & Jinns  even angles besides  Allah   & implying  magic  whether dark or white magic then it's crystally clear is Haram in Shia Islam but on the other hand knowing  secrets of world through inherited knowledge  through Ahlulbayt  if you have prepared yourself both spirituality  & religiously  for better praying  of Allah & serving belivers then it has no problem if you have a pious mentor likewise Ayatollah  Behjat(رضي الله عنه) 

• Advanced Member

Journal:   JOURNAL IN EDUCATIONAL JURISPRUDENCE STUDIES   spring-summer 2016 , Volume 3 , Number 5; Page(s) 57 To 82.

Paper: 

Learning and Teaching Magic according to Islamic Jurisprudence

Author(s):  Muhami Mustafa, Ibrahimi Jawad*

* Al Mustafa International University

Abstract: 
Teaching and learning have been highly emphasized by Islam while ignorance and superstition have been strongly condemned. Seeking knowledge is a duty of every Muslim man and Muslim woman. Some forms of knowledge include magic and occult sciences and arts which some people learn despite them being complex and having negative influences. This issue can be studied from different angles and from the perspectives of various sciences including jurisprudence. The focal question is: Does the Islamic recommendation about seeking knowledge also include magic? Or is it that knowledge of magic is not included in the category of sciences? This article seeks to address this question from the perspectives of different scholars. Some are of the view that teaching and learning magic are forbidden under all circumstances, others are of the view that they are allowed under specific conditions. Thus, the principal ruling about magic is that it is forbidden to teach and learn magic except in cases when one embarks on terminating a magic spell or defending himself against. It would not be, by extension, forbidden in an absolute sense. If magic is proved to be forbidden, it would be forbidden to spread and promote it because not only it will be disregard to Shari’ ah but it will cause evil to be disseminated.

Keyword(s): teaching,learning,magic,the occult sciences (al-'ulum al-gharibah).

https://www.sid.ir/en/journal/ViewPaper.aspx?ID=747458

Just for more information about definitions not accepting  whole  of Idea.

Alireza Doostdar: “The metaphysical” is an emic term: I use it as a translation for metafiziki and mavara’i, synonymous concepts that I picked up from my Iranian interlocutors. Mavara comes from the Arabic ma wara’ al-tabi‘a, which is the philosophical equivalent of metaphysics.

.............................. the metaphysical comes closest to the supernatural. The problem is that “supernatural” excludes nature, whereas when my interlocutors spoke of the metaphysical, they did not necessarily mean that they were dealing with otherworldly forces. The metaphysical could also be about things that the natural sciences in their current imperfect form could not fully grasp. ...........

Metaphysics is also closely connected to the occult, where this is to be understood in relation to the Islamic tradition of occult sciences (‘olum-e gharibeh)

https://themaydan.com/2018/06/iranian-metaphysicals-explorations-science-islam-uncanny/