Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

New Shi'a in need of community

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Al salaamu alaikum wa rahmatulla wa barakatuh,

I just wanted to greet everybody.  I am a new Muslim and took my Shahada this past April.  I have spent countless hours slaving away at studying the new faith since then and have met a lot of fellow Muslims (Sunni) who have done more than I could ask for to bring me into the faith.

I was following the Maliki school for a good while; I found it made a big point of following the scholars and I was very weary of all the Muslims in my community that just say "I follow the Quran and Sunnah" without any more studying or sources.  However, I always had sentiment for the Shi'a perspective and found it strange that the Sunni tradition was based on questionable sources and sometimes unsubstantiated (apparently at least) positions.  That on top of what I felt was a reckless disregard for a lot of history surrounding the Prophet sallallahu alayhi walsalaam and his beloved.  In a nutshell, for this reason I finally took the step of becoming a Shi'a just in the past month.

I am fully competent in prayer in the Shi'a practice and am reading some Seerah at the moment.  However, I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area and while we have a massive Muslim community here, it is seeming that every mosque I have gotten plugged in to is 100% Sunni.  We have Shi'a mosques here apparently, but I have e-mailed 4 of them and have never received a response.  I have even tried to join a Facebook group of local Shi'a and I never got my request to join approved.  Is this some kind of prejudice because I stated to them I converted and began my practice initially with Sunnis/in the Sunni tradition?  Does anyone live in the area that can help me get plugged in with Shi'a brothers?

Jazakallah khairan and thank you for having me on here! Looking forward to future discussions.

• Advanced Member

Bro I am having this issue myself.  The Shia masjid I go to is never open even for Friday prayers just Ramadan and Muharram so I find myself praying at sunni mosques.  Best thing I can suggest is for you to help do dawah for the Sunnis and strengthen your faith in Shia Islam since it’s definitely the harder path to take being the minority that it is.

By the way if you know of any hadiths I can use against the Sunnis that would be great.  I came to Shia Islam via Judaism so I don’t know much about the hadiths like I should…all the best!

Guest epic gamer

Salamu 3alaykum. There is no prejudice (and if there is that's their loss), but management can be tricky because usually it's one single person acting as a representative and running the office. The mosque doesn't act as one single entity and ignores and pays attention as one single unit. I am familiar with the reception/office at my mosque and once in a while I see people miss calls, not get back to people, don't read emails because of a website issue, forward it to someone and it doesn't go through, etc. Not because they have bad akhlaq, but sometimes things slip through the cracks. Because a mosque isn't like a company, it doesn't have a designated X to deal with things on a daily basis, when they need something they call someone down. There are technical issues with website for the mosque that I go to, if you sent an email to them through the website, it would not have gone though.

I would advise specifically calling them to get a hold of someone, and asking if they have a sort of club that you could join. The odds of a mosque being prejudice is extremely low, 4 is impossible.

And another really important thing, don't pin too much (emotionally) on finding that perfect community. You should focus on building a bond with God first and foremost. I know that sounds obvious, but I think some converts go through a lot of pain when they don't get what they're hoping for from a community. In some mosques people often keep to themselves or only talk to people they already know. Then a convert will think they're being singled out when really people have gotten much more antisocial. Born lay-Muslims don't usually make friends at the mosque, shame that it is. But if you join a club then the chances of you finding something good will drastically go up.

• Advanced Member
  • Moderators
19 hours ago, Johnsy said:

I just wanted to greet everybody.  I am a new Muslim and took my Shahada this past April.  I have spent countless hours slaving away at studying the new faith since then and have met a lot of fellow Muslims (Sunni) who have done more than I could ask for to bring me into the faith.

I was following the Maliki school for a good while; I found it made a big point of following the scholars and I was very weary of all the Muslims in my community that just say "I follow the Quran and Sunnah" without any more studying or sources.  However, I always had sentiment for the Shi'a perspective and found it strange that the Sunni tradition was based on questionable sources and sometimes unsubstantiated (apparently at least) positions.  That on top of what I felt was a reckless disregard for a lot of history surrounding the Prophet sallallahu alayhi walsalaam and his beloved.  In a nutshell, for this reason I finally took the step of becoming a Shi'a just in the past month.

I am fully competent in prayer in the Shi'a practice and am reading some Seerah at the moment.  However, I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area and while we have a massive Muslim community here, it is seeming that every mosque I have gotten plugged in to is 100% Sunni.  We have Shi'a mosques here apparently, but I have e-mailed 4 of them and have never received a response.  I have even tried to join a Facebook group of local Shi'a and I never got my request to join approved.  Is this some kind of prejudice because I stated to them I converted and began my practice initially with Sunnis/in the Sunni tradition?  Does anyone live in the area that can help me get plugged in with Shi'a brothers?

Jazakallah khairan and thank you for having me on here! Looking forward to future discussions.

Salam. I am a member of a group that has their main headquarters in Houston, but they are involved with masajid all over Texas and some in other states. 

https://muslimcongress.org/

If you reach out to them thru the contact link of the site, I'm pretty sure they will get ahold of you. If not, I know some brothers here who are actively involved in the organization and I can reach out to them. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

• Advanced Member
On 10/11/2021 at 4:51 PM, Johnsy said:

Wa alaikum salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

What a nice journey to God Almighty. May Allah bless you and assist you on the path.

Congregations-Communities is a must, especially for new reverts. Because if you are a part of a community, you do not indulge and waste your time in meaningless discussions-debates with the other Muslim Denominatios. Rather you benefit from your community and maybe find an opportunity to grow spiritually (irfan). Because you won't be busy defending your faith, rather you will be practicing it more. (Salah, Supplications, Dhikr, Lectures etc.)

And I am sure, the communities you contacted via e-mail, did not see the mails. Many online websites don't check hteir e-mails. Or check it later due to their busy schedule. Or may be there is another reason. In such cases, we need to be thinking positively of others (what was the sufi word for this? Husn al Dhann?).

Maybe you call them instead of e-mailing? Or drop by. I am sure they will welcome you.

May Allah bless you.

20 hours ago, Andrew Israel said:

if you know of any hadiths I can use against the Sunnis that would be great.

We don't use hadiths. We follow them and ask others (our sunni brethren) to follow them as well, telling them these hadiths are also available in their own sources. May Allah bless you.

Edited by islamicmusic