Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

For ambitious people: A bit of advice that I wish I knew earlier

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salamu 3alaykum. A big problem that I have is that I keep putting unnecessary burdens on myself. Sometimes I'll have a bad plan and commit to it, justifying it saying "I'm halfway up the mountain, I may as well finish it." But I was not going up a mountain, I was sinking deeper into an abyss.

The next level is when I had a good plan, but I approached it in a foolish manner. How? I would do things that I did not have to. I wasted nearly 2 years developing a very difficult skill, to little success, when I could have simply hired someone to do it for my and focused on the more important things. It was like I wanted to open a restaurant, so instead of improving my cooking and restaurant management skills, I go and get a degree in law and accounting to deal with legal and tax matters, a degree in architecture to design the building, 5 years experience in construction to build the restaurant, etc.

Please don't make the same mistake as me, when it comes to achieving your goals and plans, think deeply about if you are putting a burden on yourself that you don't have to. Think about all that you need to do in your plan, is there anything that you could get someone else to do so you can be freed to focus on the main things? Are there alternatives solutions you can consider?

Take Khomeini (رضي الله عنه) for example. He accomplished, with the aid of Allah, something very great. But keep in mind that he didn't do everything himself, he very wisely got help from experts. He wasn't an architect, or a doctor, or a military man, or a scientist, or an engineer. He was a sheikh and a revolutionary. So he focused on what he can do, and when he needed skills that he didn't have, he got help from someone who did.

Please make sure you are not placing unnecessary burdens on yourself. Take a kheera of if it's good to leave X.

It's advice that's not relevant to a lot of you, but I sure wish I had this advice in the past so I'm sharing it with you.