Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Youth going astray

Rate this topic

Guest Guest

Why are so many of our youth so severely misguided, even the ones who attended madrassah, and how can this be corrected? Adults at the Islamic centers do not realize the extent of the corruptions that many of their children are falling deeply into

• Advanced Member

There is no connection or communication between adults and youth, this creates a gap and youth feel like they're not needed in the centers

There is no guidance by the adults. Youth see conflicts in the centre as some adults don't get a long well.

Youth feels like the adults are out of touch from reality. There is very little or no activities to get the youth interested. Youth are influenced by the materialistic/worldly desires.

No opportunity for youth to express how they're feeling or issuing they're facing and feel like adults don't care. E.g. Issue of Marriage is a big one

Gender issue. I feel like Muslim men and women don't like each other for various reasons, hence some may avoid getting married.

I think there is many others issues that can be listed.

• Veteran Member
On 9/17/2021 at 11:45 PM, Guest Guest said:

Why are so many of our youth so severely misguided, even the ones who attended madrassah, and how can this be corrected? Adults at the Islamic centers do not realize the extent of the corruptions that many of their children are falling deeply into

Many reasons.  Maybe due to fast flowing unfiltered information and communications.  There is some level of conflict between ideology and technology, and what both can offer to the youth.  Ideology should filter the technology so humans can benefits.  However, technology gives more satisfaction to youths then ideology.  Ideology tends to restrict the youth, and technology gives more freedom.

I don't know whether my comment is valid.  I belongs to older generation where the first computers were Commodore 64 and Apple IIc, and typewriters were common.  And I believe good ideology is much much more advance than technology.  I maybe bias.

Edited by layman

Family Unit has been turned into Broken/Dysfunctional Family unit. More accurately it is now called a Business partnership(Marriage) , Family /Business unit, Managers in  pursuit of Only careerism/Materialistic pleasures with individuals competing for the CEO spot at the top for internal and external influence,  employees(children) are secondary concern and left for the street to educate/guide them. As they say monkey see monkey do.  

Don't worry, it is like a sign wave function, it has tops and bottoms not visible in one or two generations - they will learn the lesson from their parents mistakes - one or two generations maybe lost in the process. 

• Moderators
On 9/17/2021 at 8:45 PM, Guest Guest said:

Why are so many of our youth so severely misguided, even the ones who attended madrassah, and how can this be corrected?

One answer. Spiritual weakness - the single biggest reason for which is consumption of haram.

Consumption of haram which most typical practising families are unaware of is

-traces of haram food, 

- rizq earned through haram means, lying is a major sin if your livelihood involves lying your rizq is contaminated as so are the souls being raised on that rizq.

-eyes consuming haram, looking at namehrams, TV shows and movies with unislamic content no matter how little, haram sights while scrolling social media

- haram consumption through ears music etc

- any spiritual illnesses taking place in the family, backbiting, severing ties with relatives, oppressing people(remember, taking away someone's right no matter how minor is oppression or Zulm)

• Moderators

Nuclear family is inherently dysfunctional. Individualism leads to corruption. What we need is supportive and caring community. If young people (and not so young people) are not having their spiritual, social, and emotional needs met in their communities, they will find other means to "fill the void", either by seeking outside community, or by distractions and addictions to forget the pain. 

• Moderators

Some very valid and enlightening points have been mentioned. I would like to add: method of religious guidance and upbringing. 

Parents and communities are sometimes more focused on cultural practices and concepts rather the core religion as taught by the Qur'an and the Ma'soomeen (عليه السلام). The method of learning, teaching and sharing the religion should be oriented towards the era and mindset of the people. 

If the true essence of the religion is not adequately understood or taught then people will lose themselves in it rather than to find guidance. 

I am leaving among you the Two Weighty Things: the Book of Allah and my `Itrat (Progeny), my Ahlul Bayt. So long as you (simultaneously) uphold both of them, you will never be misled after me; so, do not go ahead of them else you should perish, and do not lag behind them else you should perish; do not teach them, for they are more knowledgeable than you.1

-----

Marja-e-Taqlid (Jurists), or Political Leaders/Revolutionaries/Resistance leaders or your local scholar or Masjid/islamic center Manager(local Jurist) are NOT the source of Complete/Overall Guidance, they provide guidance in Fiqh/Law and other silo issues. 

We should Only be looking for Guidance from the 14 Infallible(s). So, we are not lacking True guidance.

Just searching for it in the wrong place (fallible(s)). Our community centers/social organisations, state are managed by fallible and you will always find things which will turn you away. But you are missing the point that they are Not infallible guides. Nor are the community members present in the mosque. 

We hear a lot of mention of these learned people in fiqh or leaders in politics and Not much mention of the 14 Infallible. So, Young people have no excuse that we have no guidance or it is not proper and we are getting lost. Just looking for guidance in the wrong place. 

Shia need to get back to basics and not get carried away with new trends(innovation), of following the fallible and seeing them as role models. Non Shia did that- learn from History  You will be mislead, as any one of them can go astray, they are not immune from error. This is why there is No Taqlid in Fundamental of Faith. These are learned/SME subject matter experts and we follow in law not in faith. Even great political /revolutionary leaders or local Friday prayer l/Mosque leader can do things which will shake your faith, so follow with the understanding that they suppose to represent islam however they may not . Even communities or states are not followed. Some People move way from religion because they saw someone- (father/mother/grandfather/mother aunt/uncle/friend/community/group/scholar leader) did something. Or it is a bad community I am not accepted, No one talks to me here.I will not come to this mosque. 

What does that has to do with Islam? You are Not to follow their personal version of Islam. My local mosque leader could turn atheist - why would this impact me? My Religion is from the 14 infallible(s) not these fallible(s) 

إِيَّاكَ نَعْبُدُ وَإِيَّاكَ نَسْتَعِينُ {5}

[Pickthal 1:5] Thee (alone) we worship; Thee (alone) we ask for help.

اهْدِنَا الصِّرَاطَ الْمُسْتَقِيمَ {6}

[Pickthal 1:6] Show us the straight path,

صِرَاطَ الَّذِينَ أَنْعَمْتَ عَلَيْهِمْ غَيْرِ الْمَغْضُوبِ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلَا الضَّالِّينَ {7}

[Pickthal 1:7] The path of those whom Thou hast favoured; Not the (path) of those who earn Thine anger nor of those who go astray.

• Veteran Member

Forget COVID-19, this is the true pandemic.

Everyone has raised great points. It always starts at home - parents too busy, too occupied doing Islam the way of the "old country". Youth with access to too much (mis)information.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the dilution of azadari as a cause as well. This institution was an annual reminder to get back to Islam and Ahlul-Bayt but as shias we barely visit centers post Ashura. So what was a 60-day course good for the whole year is reduced to 10 days...