Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Spiritual lows

Rate this topic

Guest Brit

Guest Brit

Do you guys have periods where your imaan is low? There are times when I am very strong in my faith with avoiding sins, and then there are other week long periods where I seem to give in to sin very easily. I still feel the regret and repent but my strength in avoiding the sin is weaker. Why does this happen and how do you prevent it? 

• Advanced Member

It happens to many of us. You're not the only one. 

Search questions about repentance and sins in the forums. There is a lot advice and suggestions on what person can do.

Guest Brit

If the sin is one that i commit by habit, could be music backbiting anything, and I want to ask for forgiveness but I KNOW that I will for sure commit the sin again in the near future, is it right to ask forgiveness? Is it not like a slap in the face of gods unlimited forgiveness? Or is this a trick of the devil to make someone delay their tawba

• Advanced Member

By not repenting and delaying repentance, who would you be serving?

Remember without the grace of Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) none can achieve salvation, so do repent but just start changing your mindset and telling yourself that you can quit. 

Edited by pseudonym

• Advanced Member
On 9/7/2021 at 12:07 AM, Guest Brit said:

Do you guys have periods where your imaan is low? There are times when I am very strong in my faith with avoiding sins, and then there are other week long periods where I seem to give in to sin very easily. I still feel the regret and repent but my strength in avoiding the sin is weaker. Why does this happen and how do you prevent it? 

I think you are discribing a very common, if not universal, experience.  Standing against temptation and the whispers of the devil is not something we can do easily. 

8 hours ago, pseudonym said:

Remember without the grace of Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) none can achieve salvation, so do repent but just start changing your mindset and telling yourself that you can quit. 

The grace of God is so important but I find the above comment strange either there is trust in God's grace or you hope in telling your self you can overcome.

As a follower of Jesus the Messiah, I believe in God's grace to transform people like you and me who are unable, even when we try and change our mindset, to transform ourselves.  God has provided a way for our failiours to be forgiven but also he offers to put his powerful Holy Spirit in our lives to fight on our behalf.  I can not stand against sin in my own strength I need God's very self to help me.  He is the only one who can and has defeated satan and his temptaions.

It is when God is working in and through us that our resolve to resist sin will work.  This is what grace is all about.  It is recognising that we need God all the time and not relying on our own good intentions.

• Advanced Member

Dave, let's not turn this into a totally different conversation, in fact i think we have had this chat on a different thread already, an example of a football manager was used. The manager wants the full effort from his team and as long as he gets that effort the team will get his approval regardless if the team lost or won. This is what Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) wants from us and then HE(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) will do the rest to forgive and purify us.

To not make any effort in the first place means to have lost already, Islam has never taught anything like that. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

It is when God is working in and through us that our resolve to resist sin will work.  This is what grace is all about.  It is recognising that we need God all the time and not relying on our own good intentions.

God is always working for us but it is us who reject Him and disobey that causes us to sin. When it is said to do good deeds, it means to let God help you in guidance and lead you to justice and do not approach the evil.

“Allah does not want difficulty for you, but He wants to purify you, and to complete His favor upon you, that you may be grateful.” Quranic verse 5:6

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

and not relying on our own good intentions.

Hi ,"Intention is so valuable that even if a person is unable to perform a good deed, God will reward him for he had the intention to do so."

In this regard, the Holy Prophet of Islam (S) said:

إِنَّما الاَعْمالُ بِالنِّيات.

“Verily, the action is (judged) by the intention (behind it).”[^1]

In the words of ‘Allamah Shahid Mutahhari, intention means self-awareness, and thus, the value of worship lies on gnosis and awareness. We read in a tradition:

نِيَّةُ الْمُؤْمِنِ خَيْرٌ مِنْ عَمَلِهِ.

“The intention of the believer is more valuable than his action.”[^6]

Just like the comparison between body and soul, the soul is better than the body and the humanity of man is related to his soul. In comparing intention and action, intention is better than the act itself because it is the spirit of the action.

Intention is so valuable that even if a person is unable to perform a good deed, God will reward him for he had the intention to do so.[^7]

Intention (niyyah) as the criterion of value

The element that gives importance to a person’s action is his intention, motive or objective. So, in the verses of the Qur’an, the phrase “in the way of Allah” (fi sabilillah) is often used (seventy times), and thus a warning for people to ensure that their actions and intentions be in the way of God, and not for the sake of other than God or their own carnal desires.

Intention is the pillar of worship. If an action is done without intention, or has an ungodly intention behind it, it will be invalid (batil).

Intention is the pillar of worship. If an action is done without intention, or has an ungodly intention behind it, it will be invalid (batil).

https://www.al-islam.org/radiance-secrets-prayer-muhsin-qaraati/intention-niyyah

Sincere Intention

Sincere intention means that man acts for the sake of God only and in the depth of his being, God and His pleasure are his aims, without expecting reward, gratitude or admiration from others.[^2]

The loaves of bread that the Ahl al-Bayt of the Messenger of Allah (S) gave to the orphans, captives and poor on successive nights at the time of breaking fast {iftar} did not have much material value, but since they were given sincerely, on this account God revealed a surah.[^3]

And concerning it, ‘Attar an-Nayshaburi says:

گذشته زين جهان، وصف سنانش

گذشته زآن جهان، وصف سِه نانش

No one in this world can describe his sword. No one in the hereafter can describe his three loaves of bread.

We read in history that a certain person was slain in the battlefield and everybody said: “He is a martyr {shahid}.” But the Prophet (S) said: “He was killed in the way of a donkey {qatil al-himar}!” The people were astonished, but the Prophet (S) said: “His aim in going to the battlefield was not God; rather, when he saw that the enemy was riding a good donkey, he said to himself: ‘I will kill him and take his donkey as war booty {ghanimah}.’ But he did not succeed and that infidel killed him instead. So, he was killed in the way of a donkey {qatil al-himar}!”[^4]

https://www.shiavault.com/books/a-commentary-on-prayer/chapters/5-intention-niyyah/

It is related that a man named Fazl bin Rahee bulit a mosque in Baghdad. At the time of placing a plaque on the door, he was asked what should be written on it and he expressed his desire, as the donor of the mosque, to have his name to appear on it. By chance Wahab bin Amr (Bahlool) was present there and he asked this question to Fazl:

“For whose sake have you constructed the mosque?â€

Fazl replied, “For the sake of Allahâ€

“If it is for the sake of Allah,why mention your name on the plaque?†asked bahlool again.

“Why not mention my name, how will people come to know the founder of the mosque?†retorted Fazl

Bahlool responded by saying,

“If you have built this mosque to show-off and boast your name then you will have to forego your reward from Allahâ€.

Fazl was dumb-founded by this reply and then said to inscribe on the plaque whatever bahlool suggested. Bahlool suggested the following verse of the Holy Qur’an:

“And the mosques are Allah’s; therefore call not upon anyone with Allahâ€Â  (72:18)

https://en.shafaqna.com/86285/an-niyyah-good-intention/

• Advanced Member

One night, an interview with a 16 year-old war veteran was shown on Iranian TV. The interviewer asked: “What is your occupation?” Answer: “Detonation of land mines.” Question: “How many mines have you detonated so far?” Answer: “By the grace of God, many.” Question: “Do you know exactly how many?” Answer: “I am afraid to tell lest Satan inflict me with self-admiration (‘ujb) and arrogance (ghurur) and make my friends, who have detonated a smaller number of mines, feel belittled.” Allah is the greatest (Allahu akbar)!

The Messenger of Allah (S) said to Abu Dharr: “Resolve to perform noble deeds. Even if you fail in doing so, at least you will not be included among the negligent.”23

And Imam as-Sadiq (عليه السلام) said: “A good deed will be recorded in favor of anyone who decides to do something good but fails to do so.”24

Concerning the aspiration to attain martyrdom, the Prophet of Islam (S) said: “Anyone who, out of sincerity and uprightness, prays for martyrdom, God will include him in the company of martyrs on the Day of Resurrection even if he dies in bed.”25

Imam ‘Ali (عليه السلام) has said: “When intention is strong and firm, the body will not become weary.”22
Perhaps, this refers to the psychological and emotional effects of intention in man’s conduct and behavior.

https://www.al-islam.org/radiance-secrets-prayer-muhsin-qaraati/intention-niyyah

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

God has provided a way for our failiours to be forgiven but also he offers to put his powerful Holy Spirit in our lives to fight on our behalf. 

On the day of ‘Ashura’, in spite of facing the martyrdoms of his beloved ones and foreseeing the inhuman treatment of his family, the more Imam al-Husayn (عليه السلام) became isolated, the more his countenance became illuminated with the fire of love, totally relying on God and saying: “That which makes these severities easy for me is that I can see everything in the Presence of God, and He watches and bears witness.”