In the Name of God بسم الله

Zaydi Imams List

Zaydism

• Advanced Member

:bismillah:

I have compiled a list of the Imams of the Ahl al-Bayt after seeing that there is a demand for such a list and the absence of an English resource to satiate that demand, Insha'Allah this will be beneficial to the dear brothers and sisters. 

التحف شرح الزلف

Link

Guest Psychological Warfare

Since the word 'Imam" could be misleading under these circumstances. As the Imami Shia believe that Allah(عزّ وجلّ) appointed HIS(عزّ وجلّ) Representatives. Twelve Divinely Appointed Guardians and the last on is the Living Imam of the Time Imam Al-Mahdi(عليه السلام). 

Others define imam as the

1) Friday Prayer Leader

2) Leader in Fiqh/Jurisprudence like the four imam of fiqh( Hanafi, Hanabali, .....

3) Others call the hadith collectors Imam like the book of muslim and bukhari. 

4) Political leaders as imams or khalifa/caliph

5) Any other new evolved version ......

All (1-5) are Fallible, elected, selected, appointed by some group of man. NOT Divinely Appointed. 

Guest Mohammad fadir

Assalamoalikum 

I have a few questions about the zaydi beliefs first of all what is your opinion of Abu bakr, umar and uthman, secondly what is the zaydi belief in mehdi and thirdly what is your view of the hadith of 73 sects 

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, Guest Mohammad fadir said:

Assalamoalikum 

I have a few questions about the zaydi beliefs first of all what is your opinion of Abu bakr, umar and uthman, secondly what is the zaydi belief in mehdi and thirdly what is your view of the hadith of 73 sects 

1. They unjustly went ahead of Imam 'Ali, and their caliphate was illegitimate. However, the Imams did not curse or insult them so we do not do that, we raise their case to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and He is the best of judges.

2. The Mahdi is from the sons of Fatema - either from the lineage of Imam Hassan, or Imam Hussein - he will come in the end times, his name will be Muhammad b. 'Abdullah.

3. Has varying understandings, I still need to give it its do right in terms of research in order to provide an informed and apt position.

Edited by Zaidism

• Veteran Member
2 minutes ago, Zaidism said:

2. The Mahdi is from the sons of Fatema - either from the lineage of Imam Hassan, or Imam Hussein - he will come in the end times, his name will be Muhammad b. 'Abdullah.

Thats very specific.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Zaidism said:

his name will be Muhammad b. 'Abdullah.

1 hour ago, ShiaMan14 said:

Thats very specific.

38 minutes ago, User 313 said:

So is the twelver definition of the Mahdi

Name of Imam Mahdi (aj) is definetly Muhammad ibn Hasan but some group have replaced Hasan with Abdullah for supporting  uprising of al-Nafs al-Zakiyya which his name has been Muhammad b. 'Abdullah a descendant of Imam al-Hasan al-Mujtaba (a) .

Imam al-Sadiq's (a) Stance

The only opposition made regarding the allegiance of Abwa' was made by Imam al-Sadiq (a). According to some reports, Imam al-Sadiq's (a) opposition was due to calling Muhammad b. 'Abd Allah, the al-Mahdi of the Ahl al-Bayt (a), as Imam (a) said that it was not the time of the coming of al-Mahdi (a) and Muhammad b. 'Abd Allah was not the promised Mahdi, the Prophet (s) had given the good news for.[4]

Moreover, another reason for opposition of Imam al-Sadiq (a) was because he (a) knew that Abbasids who give allegiance to Muhammad b. 'Abd Allah Nafs Zakiyya, would break their allegiance with him and take advantage of approaching Alids only to reach the power and the uprising of Muhammad b. 'Abd Allah would not be successful.[5] In addition to the first reason, some authors believe that Imam al-Sadiq (a), like his father, Imam Muhammad al-Baqir (a), was against any uprising and followed cultural Shiism[6] contrary to Zaydis and other Alids who acted according to their view of political Shia.

However, some reports considered Imam al-Sadiq's (a) refusal from giving allegiance only due to introducing Muhammad b. 'Abd Allah as the al-Mahdi and that he (a) was not against the uprising of Muhammad b. 'Abd Allah as an action against oppression along with enjoining to the good and prohibiting the evil.[7]

Emergence of Muhammadiyya

Some historians and writers of biographies have written that: after the killing of Nafs Zakiyya, Mughirra b. Said al-'Ijli and his followers claimed that Nafs Zakiyya was not killed and is in occultation in Hajir mountain in Najd region and would come back later. They were called as Muhammadiyya and believed that Nafs Zakiyya was the promised Mahdi.[21]

Views of Shia Scholars Regarding this Uprising

Sayyid b. Tawus defended 'Abd Allah Mahd and the uprising of Muhammad b. 'Abd Allah Nafs Zakiyya and wrote that:

"They did not believe that al-Mahdi was from them and calling Nafs Zakiyya as al-Mahdi was a general title they gave because every upriser was called so and they did not mean the Promised Mahdi (a)…"

Sayyid b. Tawus believed that Imam al-Sadiq (a) loved Hasanis and they were aware about the right of Imam (a). He considered hadiths disapproving the uprising of Muhammad b. 'Abd Allah Nafs Zakiyya out of taqiyya.[22]

On the opposite, al-Shaykh al-Mufid criticized 'Abd Allah Mahd and Muhammad b. 'Abd Allah al-Nafs al-Zakiyya. Also, al-Kulayni mentioned some hadiths criticizing Muhammad b. 'Abd Allah.[23] In his book of rijalAyatollah Khoei criticized 'Abd Allah b. Hasan and al-Nafs al-Zakiyya too.[24] There are different opinions among historians and scholars of fiqh and hadith on whether Nafs Zakiyya considered himself the Promised Mahdi or it was an accusation by others to discredit him and his uprising.[25]

https://en.wikishia.net/view/Uprising_of_al-Nafs_al-Zakiyya

• Veteran Member
On 9/6/2021 at 12:05 AM, User 313 said:

So is the twelver definition of the Mahdi

Well yes because we believe he has already been born and is the son of Hasan Al-Askari (عليه السلام).

Zaydis say the Mahdi has not been born and could be anyone from the lineage of Hasan (عليه السلام) or Hussain (عليه السلام). If they know he will be the son of "Abdullah", then sure they must know who Abdullah will be a son of and so on.

• Advanced Member
On 9/8/2021 at 2:01 PM, ShiaMan14 said:

Well yes because we believe he has already been born and is the son of Hasan Al-Askari (عليه السلام).

Zaydis say the Mahdi has not been born and could be anyone from the lineage of Hasan (عليه السلام) or Hussain (عليه السلام). If they know he will be the son of "Abdullah", then sure they must know who Abdullah will be a son of and so on.

Hmm good point!

• Advanced Member

This also raises the question of how Zaidis will verify whether a person is indeed the Mahdi. I guess they would have to look at the prerequisites of Imamate as per the Zaidi doctrine, which is very stringent and in accordance with Quranic precepts. I also remember (and please correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t want to be misrepresenting the Zaidi school) the Zaidi brothers mentioning that every Imam that rises is a ‘Mahdi’ in the sense that he is tasked with delivering guidance and standing against injustice.

However, I think all schools can concur with the fact that the role of the Mahdi who will come in the end of times is pretty distinct.  But, again, the question of how to determine whether the Mahdi, whose divine appointment is an indisputable fact irrespective of the faith to which one subscribes, is indeed the son of Abdullah or the son of al Hassan al Askari, remains. 

I’m hoping to understand both the Zaidi and Twelver take on this is. What traits or ‘markers’ will the Muslims look out for to determine who the Mahdi is, according to Zaidis and Twelvers? How will lineage be verified? I do not want to instigate any further discord among the Shia brothers on here, I just want to develop a solid understanding of the positions of both schools with respect to the identification of the Mahdi as per authentic ahadith in each school’s corpus. 

Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless you all

Edited by User 313

• Basic Members
On 9/5/2021 at 11:27 PM, Zaidism said:

1. They unjustly went ahead of Imam 'Ali, and their caliphate was illegitimate. However, the Imams did not curse or insult them so we do not do that, we raise their case to Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) and He is the best of judges.

3. Has varying understandings, I still need to give it its do right in terms of research in order to provide an informed and apt position.

Jazakallah brother 

I still have a few more narrations if you don't mind me asking 

I am a sayed and if I rise up in jihad and proclaim myself to be an imam, will I be an imam? 

And I understand that term rafiddi started out with zayddi shias and that you (in general as a sect) hold a lot of contempt for ithna asharis Is there any reason for this? Because Iraq became majority ithna ashari in the 13th century and Zayd ibn Ali (عليه السلام) revolution happened 600 years before that so why exactly is the blame placed on the ithna Asharis? 

What do you think of the current houthi militia in Yemen, do they hold up to zaydi beliefs and doctrine? 

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, Mohammad farid said:

I am a sayed and if I rise up in jihad and proclaim myself to be an imam, will I be an imam? 

No

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member
On 9/11/2021 at 12:31 PM, Zaydism said:

No

On 9/11/2021 at 4:47 AM, Mohammad farid said:

Jazakallah brother 

I still have a few more narrations if you don't mind me asking 

The Zaydi standards of Imamat of Obedience is very high.

It is narrated by Imam Zayd ibn Ali (عليه السلام):

من مات وليس له إمام مات ميتة جاهلية إذا كان الإمام عدلاً براً تقياً

Who dies without his Imam, dies a death of Jahiliyyah when there was an Imam who was Just, Pious and God-fearing.

This is also narrated by Imam Al-Nasir Al-Utrush (ع) and Imam Al-Hadi (ع) in Al-Ahkam also explained the Hadith in the same manner.

Sayyed Al-Ulama Al-Murtadha Al-Mahawatry, our great scholar divided the conditions of Imamah broadly into:-

A) Khilqiyah (الخلقية) (Born-qualities)

(1) Age of Majority and Sound

(2) Man

(3) Free

(4) Alawi from the offspring of Hasnayn

(5) Sound Senses (سليم الحواس)

including: Free from major illnesses and non impairment of limbs

(B) Iktisabiyyah (الاكتسابية) (Earned qualities)

(6) Mujtahid-mastered the knowledge of the Quran, Hadith, Usul Al-Fiqh, matters of Ijma and Arabic Language such as its Grammar and Syntax (نحو و صرف)

In addition the knowledge required for administration like economics and world politics and etc

(7) Just and Pious.

Imam Al-Hadi (ع) explained the condition of piety beautifully in Al-Ahkam as follow:

ويكون ورعاً تقياً صحيحاً نقياً، وفي أمر اللَّه عز وجل جاهداً، وفي حطام الدنيا زاهدا

He should be absolutely God-Fearing in a true and pure manner, striving for the implementation of the decree of Allah the Most High and a Ascetic removed from the desolute world.

On the issue of his justice:

مقيماً لأحكام اللَّه، وحدوده، آخذاً لها ممن وجبت عليه، ووقعت بحكم اللَّه فيه من قريب، أو بعيد، شريف أو دني،

Establishing the Laws of Allah and its Hudud, taking from those that are mandated and executing the Laws of Allah near or far, on the noble or the poor

(Generous in the executing the rights of those who deserve).

Imam Al-Hadi (ع) said:

سخياً، رؤفاً بالرعية، رحيماً، متعطفاً، متحنناً، حليماً، مواسياً لهم بنفسه

Being generous, compasionate on the subjects, forgiving, lenient on them.

(9) Able Administrator

Able to administer the affairs of the state.

(10) Being most virtuous of his time (أفضل أهل زمانه)

Meaning someone who fulfills the conditions of Imamat by Ijma on his excellence and virtue and is famous for it

(11) Chivalry and Bravery

This is needed to establish Amr Ma'ruf Nahi Al-Munkar against the oppressors

Imam Al-Hadi (ع) said:

مخيفاً للظالمين، مؤمناً للمؤمنين، لايأمن الفاسقين،

Fearsome for the Oppressors, Insurer for the Believers, no respite for the Sinners.

اللهم صلى على محمد و آل محمد 

Edited by Al-Zaidi

• Advanced Member
20 hours ago, Al-Zaidi said:
On 9/11/2021 at 1:17 PM, Mohammad farid said:

The Zaydi standards of Imamat of Obedience is very high.

Salam this is exactly twelver definition of Imamat which 12 infallible Imams have had utmost of all of qualifications which now Imam Mahdi (aj) with utmost of these qualifications is Imam of our time .

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam this is exactly twelver definition of Imamat which 12 infallible Imams have had utmost of all of qualifications which now Imam Mahdi (aj) with utmost of these qualifications is Imam of our time .

Wasalaam.

There are not exactly the same because there is a fundamental difference between having high standards versus infallibility.  Moreover, the 12er concept of infallibility requires taqiyyah for their imams.  Furthermore, the 12ers do not have the requirement of age of majority for their imams, such as Imam Jawwad who was reported to have been 9 years old at the time of his imamah.

That is not to say that our imams are mutually exclusive.  Our imams not only satisfied these high standards but were also recognized by the 12ers such as Imams Ali ), Hassan ), Hussain (ع), and Imam Ridha ).  

Edited by Al-Zaidi

• Advanced Member
18 hours ago, Al-Zaidi said:

Moreover, the 12er concept of infallibility requires taqiyyah for their imams

Salam Taqiyya is highly recommended action for preserving Shia Islam &Muslim but on the other hand it's not something that infallibity requires  it because in similar fashion of age, infallibity is a Divine matter which Allah has bestowed it on Imams which infallible Imam can chose to practice Taqiyya or not as a social matter which  he can decides about it by will of Allah.

• Advanced Member
On 8/24/2023 at 4:11 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam Taqiyya is highly recommended action for preserving Shia Islam &Muslim but on the other hand it's not something that infallibity requires  it because in similar fashion of age, infallibity is a Divine matter which Allah has bestowed it on Imams which infallible Imam can chose to practice Taqiyya or not as a social matter which  he can decides about it by will of Allah.

Salaam,

Taqiyyah for the regular believer in case of danger is permissible for the Zaydi.  However, not for the Imam.  The Imam is not allowed to do Taqiyyah.  Although Ismah and Taqiyyah are separate, in the 12er dogma, the Imams practiced taqiyyah and this is explained through their Ismah.  That's why it's required.

There was a discussion here 

about this.  You can refer to 12er scholars to explain further the saying "taqiyyah everywhere all the time for the infallible imams"

• Advanced Member
17 hours ago, Al-Zaidi said:

The Imam is not allowed to do Taqiyyah.  Although Ismah and Taqiyyah are separate, in the 12er dogma, the Imams practiced taqiyyah and this is explained through their Ismah.  That's why it's required.

Salam you have totally wrong understanding about taqiyya which Taqiyya is likewise shield which infallible Imam (عليه السلام) uses it for protection of himself & shia community based on knowing result of any action & future events through inherited divine knowledge .

about this.  You can refer to 12er scholars to explain further the saying "taqiyyah everywhere all the time for the infallible imams"

peace treaty of Imam Hasan (عليه السلام) so then uprising Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) nulifies your logic about praticing Taqiyya based on Ismah or doing it all the time for infallible Imams which whether practining Taqiyya or not is based on choosing best action by infallible Imam based on variable  situation & conditions so therefore  they choose to whether practice it or not .due to their knowing result of any action & future events through inherited divine knowledge .

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam you have totally wrong understanding about taqiyya which Taqiyya is likewise shield which infallible Imam (عليه السلام) uses it for protection of himself & shia community based on knowing result of any action & future events through inherited divine knowledge .

peace treaty of Imam Hasan (عليه السلام) so then uprising Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) nulifies your logic about praticing Taqiyya based on Ismah or doing it all the time for infallible Imams which whether practining Taqiyya or not is based on choosing best action by infallible Imam based on variable  situation & conditions so therefore  they choose to whether practice it or not .due to their knowing result of any action & future events through inherited divine knowledge .

Salaam,

Your response makes it obviously clear that we don't have the same points of reference for a discussio, e.g. the cases of  Zurarah ibn A'yun and  Ibn al-Junayd al-Iskafi, pre vs post crystallization, etc.  Fi aman Allah

Edited by Al-Zaidi

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, Al-Zaidi said:

the cases of  Zurarah ibn A'yun and  Ibn al-Junayd al-Iskafi, pre vs post crystallization

Salam in many threads all accusations of Wahabists & salfists about Zurarah  ibn A'yun about concept of Taqiyya has been refuted which you can find it with a serach in Shia chat threads .

Ibn al-Junayd and Theology

It is not much reported over who was Ibn al-Junayd's teacher in theology and what relations he had with Imamiyya scholars of theology in Baghdad at that time such as al-Nawbakhti Family and Muhammad b. Bahr al-Ruhni (d. before 330/ 941-2) and non-Imamiyya scholars of theology, such as Mu'tazila. We only know that he was known as a scholar of theology and wrote some works in this field.

One of his views in theology is that the jurisprudential hadiths of Imams (a) were their own opinions and matters of their own ijtihad.

He also believed that Imams (a) always adjudicated on the basis of evidence everyone had access to, rather than knowledge of the hidden facts. Ibn al-Junayd wrote some books about significant issues in theology of Imamiyya.

Reliance on Qiyas

According to sources, he relied on qiyas (analogy) in agreement with Abu Hanifa and other Sunni scholars, and it seems that he wrote some books in this regard:

• Kashf al-tamwih wa l-Ilbas 'ala ighmar al-Shi'a min amr al-qiyas (removing the confusions of Shias about qiyas)
  • Izhar-u ma satarah-u ahl al-'inad min al-riwaya 'an A'immat al-'Itra min amr al-ijtihad.

Ibn al-Junayd employed qiyas in many parts of his jurisprudence, including zakat. Moreover, he frequently appealed to istihsan in various issues.

Another salient characteristic of Ibn al-Junayd's jurisprudence is that he sometimes assumed some propositions as being pre-established, employing them as premises in his deductions. For example, he accepted the Prophet (s)'s hadith that "the caller to prayers (that is, mu'adhdhin) is trusted" as a principle, and then concluded that since a vice person cannot be trusted, then his call to prayers (adhan) should not be relied on.

Comments by Other Scholars on Ibn al-Junayd

• Al-Najashi: "Ibn al-Junayd is respectful, reliable and of a great position among our scholars".
  • 'Allama al-Hilli: "He is the shaykh (senior) of Imamiyya with great writings, and our scholars highly regard of him, take him to be reliable and of a great position. He is a prolific author".

• Veteran Member
7 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

I like to add the following words that have already been quoted many times in these threads for rejecting the false zaidiyah claims:

"I await the hadith of the prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) or any of the first three imams including Imam Ali (عليه السلام). Imam Hassan (عليه السلام) or Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) for the authenticity of pseudo / false claimant as imam ( al-Imām al-Qāsim b. ʾIbrāhīm ) who is actually a people chosen leader like first three Sunni caliphs,  before i can spend a few seconds to go through the longest nonsense misquoted and presented as so called Refutations and attributed to the mentioned false / pseodu imam".

Wasalam

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Muslim2010 said:

I like to add the following words that have already been quoted many times in these threads for rejecting the false zaidiyah claims:

"I await the hadith of the prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) or any of the first three imams including Imam Ali (عليه السلام). Imam Hassan (عليه السلام) or Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) for the authenticity of pseudo / false claimant as imam ( al-Imām al-Qāsim b. ʾIbrāhīm ) who is actually a people chosen leader like first three Sunni caliphs,  before i can spend a few seconds to go through the longest nonsense misquoted and presented as so called Refutations and attributed to the mentioned false / pseodu imam".

Wasalam

Habibi

From the Zaydi perspective the Hadiths of Ghadir Khumm and Thaqalayn cover the first three, and we add the hadiths of Kisa and Manzilah for the fadail of the first three.

• Veteran Member
9 minutes ago, Al-Zaidi said:

Habibi

From the Zaydi perspective the Hadiths of Ghadir Khumm and Thaqalayn cover the first three, and we add the hadiths of Kisa and Manzilah for the fadail of the first three.

Thanks for your reply,

My response means to raise the point that how the Zaidi imams claims to be Imams like the first three Imams ie Imam Ali, Imam Hassan and Imam Hussain (عليه السلام)? The Zaidi imams including Imam Zaid and more than about 100 after him, Do Zaidiyah have any hadith for them so that any authenticity for their Imammat can be drawn? Thats what I mean brother.

Wasalam

Edited by Muslim2010

• Advanced Member
26 minutes ago, Muslim2010 said:

Thanks for your reply,

My response means to raise the point that how the Zaidi imams claims to be Imams like the first three Imams ie Imam Ali, Imam Hassan and Imam Hussain (عليه السلام)? The Zaidi imams including Imam Zaid and more than about 100 after him, Do Zaidiyah have any hadith for them so that any authenticity for their Imammat can be drawn? Thats what I mean brother.

Wasalam

Salaam

Their Imamah is drawn as a general principle under Thaqalayn, which allows for Imams from both branches, from Imam Hassan and Imam Hussain.  With Thaqalayn in hand, to know which Imam to follow from ahlul bayt, there is the criteria I mentioned above, which includes their call to action and claim to Imamah. Imams Zayd, Yahya, Nafs az-Zakiyyah, Idris, al-Hadi, al-Nasir, etc, called to their Imamah.  Zaydis do have their own hadiths and histories that document these Imams.

If by election you mean the Shura of Zaydi ulama that chose the best person to lead based on their qualifications, then yes this occurred in Yemen.  This is similar to how wilayat-ul-faqih operates in Iran with the Supreme leader and the council of guardians.

Many Zaydis I know would have given bay'ah to Imam Khomeini if he had declared his Imamah because he satisfied all of their requirements.

Edited by Al-Zaidi

• Advanced Member
11 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam in many threads all accusations of Wahabists & salfists about Zurarah  ibn A'yun about concept of Taqiyya has been refuted which you can find it with a serach in Shia chat threads

Salaam,

The points of reference are these:

Is the Imam allowed to do Taqiyyah for his Imamah? If yes, the Zaydi reject this. 

Zaydis reject their infallibility so this justification is rejected as well.

Edited by Al-Zaidi

• Advanced Member
On 8/27/2023 at 3:15 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

peace treaty of Imam Hasan (عليه السلام) so then uprising Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) nulifies your logic

Salaam,

Zaydis do not use taqiyyah to justify Imam Hassan's treaty with Muawiyah. 

Imam Hassan's right is clear from the Hadiths of the Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).  His decision to make peace is the same as Imam Ali's decision to make peace with the first three caliphs.  Zaydis use Tafdhil instead of taqiyyah, which the 12ers use.

Edited by Al-Zaidi

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, Al-Zaidi said:

Salaam,

Zaydis do not use taqiyyah to justify Imam Hassan's treaty with Muawiyah. 

Imam Hassan's right is clear from the Hadiths of the Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).  His decision to make peace is the same as Imam Ali's decision to make peace with the first three caliphs.  Zaydis use Tafdhil instead of taqiyyah, which the 12ers use.

Salam if you believe to Tafdhil  so then it means that for you cursed Muawiah has been better than Imam Hasan (عليه السلام) Nauzu billah .

14 hours ago, Al-Zaidi said:

If by election you mean the Shura of Zaydi ulama that chose the best person to lead based on their qualifications, then yes this occurred in Yemen.  This is similar to how wilayat-ul-faqih operates in Iran with the Supreme leader and the council of guardians.

All so called Zaydi Imams in Yemen have came to power  without  election by Zaydi Ulama which after  last of them Badr b. Ahmad so then until now Zaydis of Yemen  have not any Imam until now which only Intellectual Current believes to election by " the Shura of Zaydi ulama"  .

Intellectual Current

The development of the Zaydi intellectual current in Yemen can be traced back to the revolution of 1947 against the government of Yahya Hamid al-Din, the last leader of the Zaydi rule. This current believed that the election of the Imam has to be conducted by all people. They believed that the government has to have four branches: executive branch consisting of the Zaydi Imam and his officials, parliament, judiciary branch, and religious scholars. The family of Al Wazir is the leader of the intellectual current. After the revolution of 1962, while rejecting the Western model of government, they supported establishing an Islamic government based on their proposed model.

Demoting the belief in the designation of Imam Ali (a) as the successor of the Prophet (s), this Zaydi current has interpreted Hadith al-Ghadir as calling people to love Imam Ali (s). They question the authenticity of the Prophetic hadith "The Imams are from Quraysh," and regard it as an Umayyad invention. They believe that the Imam has to be elected by the people, and his being a descendant of Lady Fatima (a) is only an idea emphasized by Qasim al-Rassi (d. 246 AH/860-61) and not a fundamental principle. Al Wazir's idea of government is very close to Western democracy.

https://en.wikishia.net/view/Zaydiyya

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, Al-Zaidi said:

Salaam,

The points of reference are these:

Is the Imam allowed to do Taqiyyah for his Imamah? If yes, the Zaydi reject this. 

Zaydis reject their infallibility so this justification is rejected as well.

Salam it's against Zaydi belife too because according to Zaydis when someone becomes an Imam so then until he doesn't commit a major sin so then he will has aboslute authority which Zaydis must obays him whther he make a peace treaty or announces war with  with enemy  so thererfore even  a Zaydi imam with absolute authority can choose to practice Taqiyya or not while by rejecting it & do not allowing him to do so then you have denied Imamate of so called Zaydi Imam.

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, Al-Zaidi said:

This is similar to how wilayat-ul-faqih operates in Iran with the Supreme leader and the council of guardians.

Many Zaydis I know would have given bay'ah to Imam Khomeini if he had declared his Imamah because he satisfied all of their requirements.

While some of the Zaidi sects such as Jarrudiyyah believe in return (raj’ah) and in the Imams having knowledge of the unseen and exclusive virtues, some other Ziadi sects  do not have such a belief. 

Among the Zaidiyyah sects, Jarudiyyah is closer to the mainstream Shia sect i.e. Shia Ithna Ashari (Imamiyyah). The Zaidi Shiites of Yemen are connected predominantly to Jarudiyyah.

The Houthi Zaidis
Sayyid Hussein al-Houthi was the former leader and head of this ethnic group in Yemen. He was Sayyid Bardruddin’s son, the spiritual leader of the Zaidis of the Sa’ada province of Yemen. His thoughts are like those of Shia Ithna Ashari. Sayyid Hussein was killed and his brother Abdul Malik al-Houthi took the leadership but even now, Sayyid Hussein al-Houthi continues to inspire his followers.

Revolutionary Current

This revolutionary current was close to the Iranian revolution in terms of its intellectual and political tendencies. Husayn al-Houthi was influenced by Imam Khomeini, and would regard the latter's system of government and anti-imperialist attitude as a good model for an Islamic state.

Conservative Current

this current issued a declaration in which the necessity of establishing a Zaydi rule was regarded as belonging to the past and so revolting against the existing rule was declared to be impermissible.

Intellectual Current

This current believed that the election of the Imam has to be conducted by all people.

They believe that the Imam has to be elected by the people, and his being a descendant of Lady Fatima (a) is only an idea emphasized by Qasim al-Rassi (d. 246 AH/860-61) and not a fundamental principle.

Secular Current

This current includes those Zaydis who believe that their traditional teachings on politics and society is insufficient. The supporters of Ali Abdullah Saleh and many of the Republicans belong to this current. The most important political party of the secular current is General People's Congress.

Dr. Isam al-Imad says that Sayyid Hussein al-Houthi and his brother Abdul Malik al-Houthi are trying to persuade Yemeni Zaidis towards the real Shiite religion i.e. Shia Ithna Ashari. He asserts that according to the Yemeni government, the Ja’fari Shia is spreading itself through Zaidi Shia and it is for the same reason that during Abdul Salih, the Yemeni government had a tough stance against Zaidi Shiites trying to convince them to follow Salafis whereas Sayyid Hussein al-Houthi was trying to do quite the opposite.

Dr. Isamuddin al-Imad who is originally from Yemen was Wahhabi in the beginning

He reiterates that Ali Abdullah Salih, the former Yemeni president was helped by the Saudi government even though he himself was a Zaidi Shia. But for some reasons, he supported Wahhabis and Salafis.

We can say that Houthis are Ithna Ashari Shiites. In fact, whatever book you see in Sa’ada (Houthis’ stronghold region) are those of the Ja’fariyah. There is no Zaidiyyah book there. In libraries and homes and everywhere you find Ja’fari books only.

For the time being, the Zaidis of Yemen are supporting Houthis heartily, even though they believe that Houthis have ideologically converted to Ja’fariya school or are, at least, inclined to Ja’faris.  The war is now with the Salafists (Wahabis) and Ba’athists. Even the Ismailis are supporting the Houthis.

In his book titled “Zaidiyyah of Yemen”, Badruddin al-Houthi opposes some of the current beliefs among Zaidis causing many Zaidi leaders to criticize and oppose him.  His son, Hussein al-Houthi, was under the influence of his father’s thought. Thus, he stressed on the commonalities between Zaidiyyah and Shia Ithna Ashari and this led many people to sharply object to him.[4]

https://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/fa6871

• Advanced Member

Addendum

by election you mean the Shura of Zaydi ulama that chose the best person to lead based on their qualifications, then yes this occurred in Yemen.

the Zaydi Shi‘a elite governed the North of Yemen from 897 to 1962, the year of the republican revolution: Zaydis have not had an imam since that year.

Imam (literally, “the guide”) is a polysemic term: it defines who leads the prayer in the mosque; the head of the Islamic community and, most prominently, the twelve infallible Imams of the Twelver Shi‘a, and, more broadly, a person with a major political-religious role. Zaydism has distinct features with respect to other Shi‘a branches, like Ja‘farism (Twelver Shi‘a), mostly spread in Iran, Lebanon, Iraq, Bahrain, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia: for instance, Ja‘faris recognize twelve imams (the twelfth is the hidden Mahdī) and they have a clergy.

From a social point of view, the sāda stand at the top of the social hierarchy in Sa‘da, followed by the judges (qudāt, sing. qādī) and the qabilī (tribal men)[7]. However, the 1962 revolution altered consolidated social balances. During the civil war (1962-70), fought between the imamate’s supporters, backed by Saudi Arabia, and pro-republic revolutionaries, sustained by Egypt, the religious elite of Sa‘da opposed the republican forces: but they lost. From a regional perspective, the “Arab Cold War” indirectly fought between the Saudis and the Egyptians had its main theatre in the north of Yemen[8]. At that time, the sāda had apical roles in the imam’s army. Later, the Zaydi Shi‘a majority, including many sāda, accepted the new republican state.

the republican regime promoted a policy of neo-patrimonial co-optation with respect to the qabilī of Sa‘da, thus progressively alienating them from tribal bases. During the presidency of Qadi ‘Abd Al-Rahman Al-Iryani (1967-74) many northern shuyūkh (tribal chiefs, sing. shaykh) were appointed as heads of the regular army’s brigades, the so-called “Colonel shaykhs”[9].

The presidency of Ali Abdullah Saleh (1978-2011) continued Al-Iryani’s military policies with regard to northern highland tribes, coupled with promoting Sanhani men into the army[10]. Saleh also appointed relatives in apical positions

Yemen’s reunification, which occurred in 1990, fostered Zaydis’ growing involvement in party politics. Given the patronage function of the Yemeni parties, the Saleh-led GPC and Islah included a large number of Zaydis. But only two parties made clear reference to the Zaydi tradition: the Union of Popular Forces (UPF), founded in 1962, and Hizb al-Haqq, established in 1990. Husayn Al-Huthi organized the Believing Youth (al-Shabāb al-Mu’min) movement as a wing of Hizb al-Haqq, till the rupture in 1997, when Al-Huthi left the party. The Believing Youth movement was able to translate the theological discourse of Zaydi revival into education, cultural studies and social activism: these experiences paved the way for the emergence of the Huthi movement.

The Zaydi Shi‘a Revival. How the Huthi Movement Re-centred the Zaydi Tradition

From the 1970s, Badr al-Din Al-Huthi, Husayn’s father and a prominent Sa‘da cleric, supported Zaydi revivalism against Wahhabi influences: he studied in Iran, at the hawza of Qom (1994-97), elaborating on the Jarudi school of thought, which is the closest of Zaydi approaches to Twelver Shi‘a[13]

https://www.oasiscenter.eu/en/framing-yemen-s-zaydi-shi-a

• Advanced Member
On 8/29/2023 at 4:24 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam if you believe to Tafdhil  so then it means that for you cursed Muawiah has been better than Imam Hasan (عليه السلام) Nauzu billah

Wa salaam.  This is an ignorant statement at best.  I will forgive you this time.  You should know better than to say this.  For other readers I will clarify tafdhil.  Imam Ali was afdhal (better) than the three sunni "caliphs" and Imam Hassan was afdhdal (better) than Muawiyah.  Based on the ijtihad of the Imams, they allowed those to rule with conditions even though they were mafdhal (lesser) than the Afdhal (better) Imams.  Please refrain from misrepresentations.  

Edited by Al-Zaidi

• Advanced Member
On 8/29/2023 at 4:24 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

All so called Zaydi Imams in Yemen have came to power  without  election by Zaydi Ulama which after  last of them Badr b. Ahmad so then until now Zaydis of Yemen  have not any Imam until now which only Intellectual Current believes to election by " the Shura of Zaydi ulama"  .

Intellectual Current

The development of the Zaydi intellectual current in Yemen can be traced back to the revolution of 1947 against the government of Yahya Hamid al-Din, the last leader of the Zaydi rule. This current believed that the election of the Imam has to be conducted by all people. They believed that the government has to have four branches: executive branch consisting of the Zaydi Imam and his officials, parliament, judiciary branch, and religious scholars. The family of Al Wazir is the leader of the intellectual current. After the revolution of 1962, while rejecting the Western model of government, they supported establishing an Islamic government based on their proposed model.

Demoting the belief in the designation of Imam Ali (a) as the successor of the Prophet (s), this Zaydi current has interpreted Hadith al-Ghadir as calling people to love Imam Ali (s). They question the authenticity of the Prophetic hadith "The Imams are from Quraysh," and regard it as an Umayyad invention. They believe that the Imam has to be elected by the people, and his being a descendant of Lady Fatima (a) is only an idea emphasized by Qasim al-Rassi (d. 246 AH/860-61) and not a fundamental principle. Al Wazir's idea of government is very close to Western democracy.

Al-Wazir and his family do not represent Zaydi thought.  They are one current among many.  That is equivalent to saying that the intellectual current of British Shiism represent 12er thought.

• Advanced Member
On 8/29/2023 at 4:38 AM, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam it's against Zaydi belife too because according to Zaydis when someone becomes an Imam so then until he doesn't commit a major sin so then he will has aboslute authority which Zaydis must obays him whther he make a peace treaty or announces war with  with enemy  so thererfore even  a Zaydi imam with absolute authority can choose to practice Taqiyya or not while by rejecting it & do not allowing him to do so then you have denied Imamate of so called Zaydi Imam.

Wasalaam.  No, this is incorrect.  The Zaydi Imam cannot do taqiyyah about his Imamate.  He can only become the Imam after declaring his imamate.  He cannot hide his imamate with taqiyyah.  There is no rejection because his declaration of Imamah is a priori.  If he does not declare his Imamah and he does not fulfill the criteria then he is not the Imam.