Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is there a relationship between Iran and the Taliban?

Rate this topic

Guest BigBossSnake

Salam alaykum all. I am a Shia Muslim from Afganistan who was born in Iran. I have love for both countries and have always supported Iran. I wonder if anyone can give me a history lesson on the relationship between Iran and the Taliban. Are the two parties working together at all? I would hope that any deals with the Taliban that Iran has made is only tactical in nature and not friendly as I would think the Taliban are the enemies of Iran. Thanks to all and may Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless you all and you're families as well.

47 minutes ago, Guest BigBossSnake said:

Salam alaykum all. I am a Shia Muslim from Afganistan who was born in Iran. I have love for both countries and have always supported Iran. I wonder if anyone can give me a history lesson on the relationship between Iran and the Taliban. Are the two parties working together at all? I would hope that any deals with the Taliban that Iran has made is only tactical in nature and not friendly as I would think the Taliban are the enemies of Iran. Thanks to all and may Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless you all and you're families as well.

From what i understood, Iran had been for a Time a Big ennemy of talibans and was close to go to War with them because they persecuted shias and killed iranian diplomats.

But with Time, it looks like both parties began to talk with each other and began negociations because both had two common ennemies : isis and America. So it looks like Iran convinced taliban to stop persecuting shias and not attacking Iran. I Hope i am not wrong.

• Advanced Member

I don't see why there would be. Iran is a Shia nation, the Taliban are particularly fundamentalist Sunnis and probably hate the Shia.

I'm not an expert on geopolitics or statecraft though, so I could be wrong. What I do think, is that the US is going to use the situation in Afghanistan to play the blame game and load Iran down with more sanctions though, which is futile and stupid.

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

I don't see why there would be. Iran is a Shia nation, the Taliban are particularly fundamentalist Sunnis and probably hate the Shia.

I'm not an expert on geopolitics or statecraft though, so I could be wrong. What I do think, is that the US is going to use the situation in Afghanistan to play the blame game and load Iran down with more sanctions though, which is futile and stupid.

Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad are also fundamentalist Sunnis. Iran still works closely with them. 

• Advanced Member
11 hours ago, JimJam said:

Iran still works closely with them. 

So Iran is working closely with people who think that they are heretics and want to kill them? That doesn't make much sense to me, honestly.

The whole reason I do not go to masjid is because the only one around is a Sunni masjid and they freak out on me for praying with my hands at my sides and are always trying to "correct" me.

• Advanced Member

Salaams

You might find this useful and educational.

https://english.almayadeen.net/articles/analysis/the-flight-from-kabul-and-the-legacy-of-general-soleimani

Also to
@Abdul-Hadi when you say: "So Iran is working closely with people who think that they are heretics and want to kill them? That doesn't make much sense to me, honestly."; this is both incorrect and invalid.  While the Taleban of yesteryear had such tendencies; the revived Afghan Taliban are very different.

Read the article where Sayyed Muhammad Marandi explains a lot and if you still have questions; ask.

Hopefully that helps.

#Labbayk <3

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, mokhtar.thaqafi said:

While the Taleban of yesteryear had such tendencies; the revived Afghan Taliban are very different.

Well I wasn't so much talking about the Taliban in that case as much as I was talking about Hamas and "Palestinian Islamic Jihad". Which are two Sunni organizations and as far as I understand it, the Sunni are the ones that have the major problem with Shia and not necessarily the other way around.

Like I stated, they can't refrain from "correcting" how I pray at the masjid and trying to proselytize me to come over to the Sunni cause, so I don't go anymore because I'd rather not have my presence be causing drama and contention when normal, well adjusted people are just trying to pray.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, mokhtar.thaqafi said:

Salaams

https://english.almayadeen.net/articles/analysis/the-flight-from-kabul-and-the-legacy-of-general-soleimani

Also to
@Abdul-Hadi when you say: "So Iran is working closely with people who think that they are heretics and want to kill them? That doesn't make much sense to me, honestly."; this is both incorrect and invalid.  While the Taleban of yesteryear had such tendencies; the revived Afghan Taliban are very different.

Read the article where Sayyed Muhammad Marandi explains a lot and if you still have questions; ask.

Hopefully that helps.

#Labbayk <3

I agree fully with this part:

This relationship has helped the Islamic Republic of Iran become an effective mediator in recent weeks and months, to ensure that the withdrawal of occupation forces doesn't lead to civil war, and to prod the new government to be inclusive of all Afghans. Iran has strong reason to believe that the sudden withdrawal of western forces was designed to create instability and chaos in Afghanistan. The US believes that if it can’t have Afghanistan, then the country should become a source of persistent trouble for Iran, China, Russia and even India. Meanwhile, significant sums of money are currently being sent by Saudi Arabia and 2 other regional counties to support extremist takfirist factions within the Taliban. Iran isn’t naive, but doing what it can to prevent tragedy is a responsibility. If that doesn’t work, the Quds Force will vehemently support those resisting extremism and terrorism.

• Advanced Member
7 hours ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

as far as I understand it, the Sunni are the ones that have the major problem with Shia and not necessarily the other way around.

Salam , Wahabists  & Salafis are people  who have major problem  with Shias which because they call themselves  as representatives of all Sunnis ,so therefore , people from non muslim countries or new converts make this mistake which there is major problems  between Sunnis & Shias due to conflict of Wahabists/Salafis with Shias also on the other hand America  & Britain  colonizers  always have tried to show conflict war   Wahabists /Salafists by leadership of KSA & their support and Shias by leadership  of Iran as a Sunni-Shia war , so consequently , shows it as internal war between Sunnis & Shias which for example they have portrayed  uprising  of Shias in Bahrain  against  tyranical regime of Bahrain   as a sunni-Shia conflic so KSA & Jordan by support of America  & Israel have sent their security  forces to Bahrain  for heavy suppression  of Bahrain  revolution  which has led to killing many shias when MSM has turned a blind eye on this  issue & censored  it heavily in name of a local Sunni-Shia conflict.

13 hours ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

So Iran is working closely with people who think that they are heretics and want to kill them? That doesn't make much sense to me, honestly.

It's a controversial  issue because at emergence  of Taliban in Afghanistan  , 20 years ago leaders of Taliban have not called Shias as heretics but Pakistani  agents  from ISI whitin them  who have been Salafis & wahabists  have called Shias as heretics & martyred  Iranian  diplomats however still ISI of Pakistan has great influence  on Taliban until now Taliban has tolerated Shias this thime , so until Taliban or another Sunni faction are showing  tolerance with Shias of Afghanistan  , so consequently  , Iran is trying to keep this peace in Afghanistan  for safeguarding  of all Shias in Afghanistan .

14 hours ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

The whole reason I do not go to masjid is because the only one around is a Sunni masjid and they freak out on me for praying with my hands at my sides and are always trying to "correct" me.

If they  are not Salafis or wahabists  or It's not a Salafi/Wahabi  mosque so you don't  need to worry about attending in their mosque. 

• Basic Members
11 hours ago, mokhtar.thaqafi said:

Salaams

Also to

Hopefully that helps.

#Labbayk <3

I see. So what I gained from this article is basically Iran does not directly support the Taliban but rather in order to keep the peace they have a sort of tenuous relationship based on common goals like defeating isis in the region and that Iran is always on guard in case the Taliban changes their tune again and reverts back to their old ways and it becomes a problem like before? Is that the basic gist of it?

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
On 8/25/2021 at 2:44 AM, JimJam said:

Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad are also fundamentalist Sunnis. Iran still works closely with them. 

To say 'they work closely with them' is an exaggeration that is 'talked up' by the Western Media (CNN, BBC, etc) in order to fit with their goal of tying every violent confrontation in the ME to Iran. When you have two or more groups with the same goal (i.e. stopping the agressive Zionist theft of land and property of the Palestinians), they will probably have some kind of relationship. That is logical. 

Any of us outside of the Iranian military actually has no idea what is the nature of this relationship. So speculating on this is useless and problematic. Does Iran have some sort of relationship with these groups, probably. Hamas has explicitly stated that they get 'help' from Iran. So I'm sure they get some help. They also get help from Qatar, UAE, Emirates, and wealthy Palestians around the world. They also get help from the Egyptian Govt, although this 'help' is seldom discussed, again back to the goal of blaming all violence in the ME on Iran. 

Same with Taliban. Does Iran have some relationship with the Taliban. Probably, just like the US / EU / Russia / China / etc have a relationship with them. They talk to them, try to coordinate with them on certain issues, like letting refugees out of the country, make deals with them, which they mostly break, etc. You can't have a group that controls a country that is on your border and not have some kind of a relationship with them. Do they support the Taliban militarily, by giving them weapons, training, etc. I'm pretty sure they don't. Taliban attacks the Iranian border on a regular basis and sponsors groups that do terrorist attacks inside Iran. So it would not be in their interests at all to support them in this way. 

The only reason that the American people have been 'tricked' into thinking that Iran is the 'Major sponsor of terrorism in the ME' is because most people in the US don't know about foreign politics or care much about it or even have a vague clue what is going on outside the US borders. So it is very easy for the Zionist controlled media to feed them this cartoon type of story. They get paid to do this. Anyone who is even vaguely aware of these issues knows the truth is much more complicated. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

• Advanced Member

Assalamualaikum,

This might be wrong because I'm very young but I heard someone say that Iran are helping the Taliban because if the US were in power of Afghanistan instead of the Taliban, Iran would have an even worse enemy as a neighbour.

Again, could be wrong.