Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

The "grave worship" debate.

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

If possible I would like to read something on the debate on grave worship/what is called grave worship, what practices with graves are and aren't acceptable according to traditional schools of fiqh. Does anyone have any recommendations on the topic?

• Moderators

I don't know of any debates or works specifically on this topic. Generally the safest way is to follow the practices of the Qur'an and the Ahlulbayt.

A good work on the topic of ziarah is Kamil al Ziyaraat by Ibn Qulawayh. 

Follow the methods described and recommended by our aimmah, avoid everything else. This is the safe approach. 

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, koikhanate said:

If possible I would like to read something on the debate on grave worship/what is called grave worship, what practices with graves are and aren't acceptable according to traditional schools of fiqh. Does anyone have any recommendations on the topic?

No such thing is shia islam.

When we visit shrines, we still pray to Allah.

• Basic Members

The polytheists of Arabia believed that many gods existed with Allah, they believed they were his partners and worshipped them so these gods would intercede for them with Allah and benefit them through their divine status. 

A problem arose when some Muslims started calling upon saints and prophets in order to seek their intercession with Allah. Some simple-minded scholars declared this action of theirs to be shirk out of a superficial analysis of the texts. Du'a in and of itself is not act of worship as it is applied to any request made to anyone, even a living being. Similarly intercession is possible with the permission of Allah. The reason why the actions of the Polytheists of Arabia were forms of major shirk is because they called upon beings they believed were gods and sought to benefit from their status and intercession as both gods and partners of Allah. The Muslims who call upon saints for intercession do not call upon beings they consider gods nor do they seek to benefit from the status of a god or partner of Allah. To give the same ruling to both actions is simply an injustice as we know that calling upon other than Allah is not always shirk while we know calling upon a god other than Allah is always shirk. 

The only conclusion left is that one can only be guilty of shirk if one intends worship by his call to other than Allah or ascribes to it divine actions, attributes or status. These are the only instances of calling upon other than Allah we know with certainty constitute shirk.

Guest Psychological Warfare

Just as an FYI,

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235034818-a-dialogue-on-your-understanding-of-shirk/?tab=comments#comment-2879294

Even Iblis did not call/supplicate/invoke Other than Allah(عزّ وجلّ).  There is not such thing "Other than Allah(عزّ وجلّ) in reality. "

They did a grave sin, What was shirk they called it  Tawheed, and what was Tawheed they called Shirk. 

Iblis issue was he rejected Allah(عزّ وجلّ) Representative . (Shirk).

Tawheed is accepting Allah(عزّ وجلّ) Representative. 

Iblis does not want you to follow/ or be  attached to Allah(عزّ وجلّ) Representative so they drummed up grave worship. To dissuade people to from visiting the shrine(s). Because it keeps them attached to Allah(عزّ وجلّ) Representative. 

Guest Psychological Warfare

A] That the book of Allah is sufficient for us. [2] [2A]

B]   “ ..one who worshipped Muhammad Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam should know that Sayyidina Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam had passed away, the one who worships Allah, let him know that Allah is living and will live for ever..” [3]

-----

1400 years later- Grave worship slogan - so see the response. 

https://youtu.be/3mUtS31H-4M

Karbala TV Live Stream | البث المباشر لقناة كربلاء الفضائية

• Moderators
On 8/15/2021 at 7:01 PM, uar786 said:

The polytheists of Arabia believed that many gods existed with Allah, they believed they were his partners and worshipped them so these gods would intercede for them with Allah and benefit them through their divine status. 

A problem arose when some Muslims started calling upon saints and prophets in order to seek their intercession with Allah. Some simple-minded scholars declared this action of theirs to be shirk out of a superficial analysis of the texts. Du'a in and of itself is not act of worship as it is applied to any request made to anyone, even a living being. Similarly intercession is possible with the permission of Allah. The reason why the actions of the Polytheists of Arabia were forms of major shirk is because they called upon beings they believed were gods and sought to benefit from their status and intercession as both gods and partners of Allah. The Muslims who call upon saints for intercession do not call upon beings they consider gods nor do they seek to benefit from the status of a god or partner of Allah. To give the same ruling to both actions is simply an injustice as we know that calling upon other than Allah is not always shirk while we know calling upon a god other than Allah is always shirk. 

The only conclusion left is that one can only be guilty of shirk if one intends worship by his call to other than Allah or ascribes to it divine actions, attributes or status. These are the only instances of calling upon other than Allah we know with certainty constitute shirk.

Dua is an act of worship

Your Lord has said, ‘Call Me, and I will hear you!’ Indeed those who are disdainful of My worship will enter hell in utter humility.

and

and that places of worship are for God; so do not call upon another alongside God

As you are sunni I will quote a Sunni narration:

An-Nu’man ibn Bashir[رضي الله عنه ] narrated the Prophet [ﷺ] said: “Dua [Supplication to Allah ] is worship. Then he read the verse,” Invoke Me, [i.e. believe in My Oneness (Islamic Monotheism)] (and ask Me for anything) I will respond to your (invocation). Verily! Those who scorn My worship [i.e. do not invoke Me, and do not believe in My Oneness, (Islamic Monotheism)] they will surely enter Hell in humiliation!” [Ghafir:60]

Collected by Abu Dawud [1479], At-Tirmithi [3372] An-Nisa’I in Al-Kubara [11464], Ibn Majah [3828]. Imam An-Nawawi graded this Hadith as being Sahih in [ Athkar] and Imam At-Tirmithi graded it a being Hasan

Edited by Abu Nur

• Basic Members
8 hours ago, Abu Nur said:

Dua is an act of worship

Your Lord has said, ‘Call Me, and I will hear you!’ Indeed those who are disdainful of My worship will enter hell in utter humility.

and

and that places of worship are for God; so do not call upon another alongside God

As you are sunni I will quote a Sunni narration:

An-Nu’man ibn Bashir[رضي الله عنه ] narrated the Prophet [ﷺ] said: “Dua [Supplication to Allah ] is worship. Then he read the verse,” Invoke Me, [i.e. believe in My Oneness (Islamic Monotheism)] (and ask Me for anything) I will respond to your (invocation). Verily! Those who scorn My worship [i

The issue here is what does he mean by du`a? If he means prayer, then no Muslim will disagree that it is kufr to make du`a to the dead. If, however, the meaning of du`a here is simply calling, without any sense of worship to the person called, then this is another matter.
Should someone claim that every du’a is worship then how would they understand the following verse in the Holy Qur’an:
لاَّ تَجْعَلُواْ دُعَآءَ الرَّسُولِ بَيْنَكُمْ كَدُعَآءِ بَعْضِكُمْ بَعْضاً
“Make not the addressing (du’a’) of the Prophet among you like your addressing one another…”
So basically we cannot interpret du`a to mean worship in every context. A call without worshiping the called upon is just a call, and it is not shirk. Moreover, calling a person who has left this world is done every day in every single one of the 5 daily prayers, where a Muslim says, “Ya Ayyuhan-Nabi,” i.e. “O Prophet!”
An_KOWvmE8xXhWbKcEDamiAQ14ZKS7T_w5aOTf-M
An-V1eo7VQ3O9lqK2f9nfo3p019W0b_BTfQk8m_W