Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Abortion

Rate this topic

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Uni Student said:

Is abortion permissible in the second trimester once the fetus has its soul, if the mothers life is at risk? What if she already has other children that she needs to live for? If not, why? 

Have you looked at older topics? Here is one:

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235059421-halal-abortion/

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, ShiaChat Mod said:

Have you looked at older topics? Here is one:

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235059421-halal-abortion/

So that answers the first question then, Sistani writes that "If continuation of the pregnancy poses a considerable harm to the health mother, it is permissible for her to abort it before the entering of the soul in the feotus, but not after it". That leaves my second question of why an abortion would not be allowed in this case, since the mother may have other children to care for.

• Advanced Member

Which Marja do you follow? I'm sure they have different opinions.

Office of Ayatollah Sistani: https://www.sistani.org/english/qa/search/812/

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Uni Student said:

That leaves my second question of why an abortion would not be allowed in this case, since the mother may have other children to care for.

If you click on the link that @Zane Ibrahim gave you up above, the Islamic ruling says that after the soul enters the fetus (before the end of 4 months), an abortion is not permissible.

Question: I have a medical illness, and have become pregnant recently, under what circumstances is an abortion allowed?

Answer: Abortion is not allowed after the implantation of the [fertilized] ovum [on the lining of the womb], except if the mother’s life is in danger, and in this case, it would be permissible to abort the foetus as long as the soul has not entered into it (i.e. before the end of 4 months); after the entering of the soul, it is not permissible, as an obligatory precaution.

So if the pregnancy is harmful for the health of the mother, she should be careful to not become pregnant and if she does get pregnant then she should see a doctor immediately, not wait until the time is too late. 

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ShiaChat Mod said:

If you click on the link that @Zane Ibrahim gave you up above, the Islamic ruling says that after the soul enters the fetus (before the end of 4 months), an abortion is not permissible.

Brother I got that, I even pasted the ruling from sistani before @Zane Ibrahim  lol my question is on a moral level, why does the life of the 4months+ fetus take priority over the mother?

Edited by Uni Student

• Advanced Member
20 hours ago, Uni Student said:

Brother I got that, I even pasted the ruling from sistani before @Zane Ibrahim  lol my question is on a moral level, why does the life of the 4months+ fetus take priority over the mother?

the same reason a newborn's life takes priority over the mother... well to a caring mother that is. 

Can you imagine a mother sacrificing her 1 year old so that she can live to care for her 5 and 10 year old? 

To many, there is no difference between a fetus at 24 weeks gestational age and a neonate... both have a soulful heart that's beating, both are feeding, both are urinating, etc.

To illustrate further, what is the difference between "aborting" a 38 week old healthy fetus and "killing" a neonate right after it makes its way down the vaginal canal at 36 weeks?

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 8/7/2021 at 12:30 PM, Uni Student said:

Once the soul enters the body of the fetus, it becomes a valuable lifeform, and has the same right to life as anyone else. It becomes equal to its mother and to any other human.

Just as I have a soul, you have a soul, the mother has a soul, the baby also has a soul, and no one is allowed to take a soul except where Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has allowed it to be taken.

What you are implying is that we should have the right to end someone's life in order to save someone else's life, and that's not how it works, because like I said, the baby's soul is as valuable as any other human's, fetus or not.

In such a case where it is either the baby is born (once the soul has entered) or the mother's life is in danger, then the most we can do is Du'a and hope for a miracle. This is an unfortunate event and a calamity. 

Edited by Sumerian