Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Najis or not? Blood from a wound

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salaams.

Unfortunately I am someone who suffers from OCD/waswasa a lot, and it's something I'm trying to combat by ignoring my doubts. However, it is sometimes difficult to tell if something is a genuine thought or if it is waswasa.

My issue is yesterday I went to make wudhu and noticed a cut on my head around my hairline. This usually happens when I develop a zit on my head which gets cut and turns into a scab. Since I am not sure if the blood from the zit spreads around, I assume it hasn't and usually make wudhu over any similar scab I find on my face/head. Prior to making wudhu, I think I may have already noticed this cut with my fingers at another time but I am not completely sure.

Anyway, because I am trying to simplify my religion and ignore these doubts, as I was making wudhu (which was when I first physically saw this cut), I ignored the thought in my head that told me to get a tissue and check if blood was coming out. I said to myself that because I am not sure that blood is coming out at this moment in time, I can make wudhu over it and my face won't become najis become I am not sure that the water has come in contact with blood.

However, I later thought about the rule that if something becomes najis and you are not sure of it becoming tahir, you still should treat it as najis.

There are two strands of logic here.

One could say that because I found a cut, I know that at some point, blood was coming out and hence najasa ul ayn was present. Scabs are not najis, therefore one could say that a scab forming on a cut is how blood from a wound becomes tahir. Because I am not 100% sure a scab formed (and hence the blood became tahir) I should consider the wound to still have been najis (i.e. with blood coming out)

The other way of reasoning is that I am not actually doubting if a najis object has become tahir - I am only doubting whether there is najasa ul ayn still emerging from a wound, which is not the same and hence my doubting is valid and I can assume the water I used in wudhu didn't contact any najasa ul ayn.

Which way of thinking is correct?

I am worried that I have inadvertently made a lot of things najis by making wudhu over this cut, which will cause me a lot of difficulty and mental stress to put right.

• Advanced Member

Salam,

If something was originally impure and it is unknown whether it became pure, the thing remains impure. There might be an exception to this ruling in your particular case that I am not aware of, but this ruling is the general ruling regarding originally najis things.

So, according to the general ruling regarding originally najis things:

When blood comes out from a cut, it is najis. When it transforms into a scab, it becomes pure. Until you are sure that the blood has completely transformed into a scab (such that the common people would say so) the blood remains impure.

If a part of the blood turned into a scab but you are unsure whether all the blood has transformed into a scab, then, based on my knowledge regarding this, the area around the scab is najis until proven otherwise or until it is washed in such a way that if there was blood it would be removed and the area purified.

Questions I have sent to leader.ir:

• In terms of fiqh, what is a scab?
  • Salamun `alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

What people consider as blood is najis and what they consider as scab is pure.

With prayers for your success
  • Is the blood that comes out and dries around a cut (as part of the healing process) impure? Does the blood need to be scratched off or removed?

If it is dried blood, it is najis.

12 minutes ago, Muhammad Al-Hurr said:

Salam,

If something was originally impure and it is unknown whether it became pure, the thing remains impure. There might be an exception to this ruling in your particular case that I am not aware of, but this ruling is the general ruling regarding originally najis things.

So, according to the general ruling regarding originally najis things:

When blood comes out from a cut, it is najis. When it transforms into a scab, it becomes pure. Until you are sure that the blood has completely transformed into a scab (such that the common people would say so) the blood remains impure.

If a part of the blood turned into a scab but you are unsure whether all the blood has transformed into a scab, then, based on my knowledge regarding this, the area around the scab is najis until proven otherwise or until it is washed in such a way that if there was blood it would be removed and the area purified.

Questions I have sent to leader.ir:

• In terms of fiqh, what is a scab?

What people consider as blood is najis and what they consider as scab is pure.

• Is the blood that comes out and dries around a cut (as part of the healing process) impure? Does the blood need to be scratched off or removed?

If it is dried blood, it is najis.

So is everything he touched after washing his face impure as he mentioned?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

مسألة 85: ما ينجمد على الجرح عند البرء ويصير كالجلد لا يجب رفعه وإن حصل البرء، ويجزئ غسل ظاهره وإن كان رفعه سهلاً.

https://www.sistani.org/arabic/book/23720/4782/