In the Name of God بسم الله

Short sleeves at work

Rate this topic

Guest Almuslimah

Guest Almuslimah

Salam aleykom.I am muslim woman who is about to choose what education and what kind of career I will have in future. Meaning I am about to start applying to schools. I live in west. I wear usually hijab and abaya or jilbab (meaning cloth that goes over your head all the way to the toes). 

I have been thinking about what I would like to be and what kind of work I would like to do inshAllah. One option would be to become nurse. But here is what is bothering me and this is where I really need your opinions. Where I live nurses need to have working uniform with short sleeves and trousers. Trousers are not problem for me. Headscarf is also provided from work. But dont short sleeves kind of repeal the purpose of hijab? I mean that with short sleeves hijab isnt hijab anymore. I am also worried that would it be suitable to work with men or to have men patients in that kind of uniform? Is It okay to compromise hijab due this? This sounds really bad to me and I could not find any marjas fatwa about this.

I understand that as a nurse I would be allowed to touch my men patients (who could be any age) of course when needed but I am not sure about being in front of them in my short sleeves even if my hair was covered. 

Any thoughts about this? And if anyone finds any fatwas about this it would be great. Or should I just try to think another profession to study?

• Moderators

The reason for short sleeves for medical personnel is to keep yourself and your patients sanitary and avoid cross contamination. As I understand it - and I'm no scholar - baring your arms as necessary for health and safety is permitted. You should cover them when not seeing/touching patients. 

• Advanced Member
12 hours ago, notme said:

As I understand it - and I'm no scholar - baring your arms as necessary for health and safety is permitted. You should cover them when not seeing/touching patients. 

I am also no scholar.

she can chose to not work environments that leads to situations where she's not observing hijab.

her patients are still no-mahram to her, so wouldn't it make sense that hijab rule still stands.

It should also be mentioned that it's not uncommon for patients to develop emotions with their doctor / nurse. Maybe I am overthinking this, but just saying.

• Advanced Member

Tell your employer you are religiously required to wear a longsleeve shirt under your scrubs and see if they object. If they do then maybe when working you can pull the sleeve up only as much as you need to and only if necessary.

• Basic Members
14 hours ago, Guest Almuslimah said:

Where I live nurses need to have working uniform with short sleeves and trousers.

Walaikumasalaam, sister is this based what you've seen or have you contacted the place directly to confirm this? I would suggest contacting your local hospitals, GPs, medical practice etc. where you would wish to work in the future and speak with someone in HR to find out exactly what the dress code is, and ask whether there would be some leniency regarding religious beliefs, explaining the covering of arms.

I am sure there will be a way to work around this. Worst case is a place might say no, but make sure you've asked the question to all possible places, as they might be lenient for your particular situation. If it's your aspiration to be a nurse I am sure you will find a way inshaAllah. As they say, "Where there's a will, there's a way!"

All the best!