Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What is the meaning of hoor ?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Hoors are the beautiful women (and presumably men too) who will be given to the inhabitants of jannah. The children of hazrath Adam(عليه السلام) also married hoors. Theyre, in scientific terms, likely a specie very closely related to humans since we will be attracted to them and even descend from them. I think they probably lack some spiritual aspects thats why theyre lesser than us despite being so similar.

• Advanced Member
On 8/2/2021 at 12:47 AM, smma said:

On 8/2/2021 at 11:11 PM, Maisam Haider said:

One view is that "Hoor" is not a beautiful woman, but it is some sort of manifestation of love of "Imam Hussain (as)" because there are traditions that Hoors are made from the Noor of Imam Hussain (عليه السلام). 

All expressions in the Quran of female houris are symbolic, allegoric expressions, like other metaphors pertaining to the life of Paradise. The statement ‘Math’alul jannatillatiy’ contained in various verses, which means, “The example [metaphor] of Paradise” [13:35] or “The allegoric description [metaphoric representation] of Paradise”

On 8/2/2021 at 12:05 AM, Shahrukh K said:

What is the meaning of hoor ?

The body you have in this world made of clay, bodies you have in jannah called hoor.

Bodies that have never been seen or used before, who enable the peak experience of the qualities of the human consciousness, as opposed to the animalistic body that made man ‘descend to the world as enemies,’ directing him towards materialistic gains.
Bodies with superior and clear vision – unrestricted by the limitations of the biological body – enabling the conscious You to experience his essential qualities. 

• Moderators

Bodies that have never been seen or used before, who enable the peak experience of the qualities of the human consciousness

True. It is the opposite qualities of Good that make human toward materialism, and all these opposite qualities of Good shall be removed and the light of the man shall be perfected. The new body surely will experience for forever new knowledge about God and His actions and surely for us there is no limits. Experiences of paradise do includes sensations, including drinking, eating, having sex etc but it is more than that. What if God create unlimited ways of senses and thus we will experience the paradise unlimitedly different ways.

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, Abu Nur said:

Experiences of paradise do includes sensations, including drinking, eating, having sex

But again this may be just to explain to us. In reality, these sensations may be very different from what we experience in this world. I've also heard that people in heaven will not have private parts (because heaven is clean of all sorts of dirt and impurities), so the sex in heaven may not involve any genital contact. And Hoors may not even be beautiful women, rather a remarkable manifestation of love of Imam Hussain (عليه السلام). Maybe having this love from Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) will be the greatest pleasure of heaven and this is what it means to have a hoor. 

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, Maisam Haider said:

I've also heard that people in heaven will not have private parts (because heaven is clean of all sorts of dirt and impurities), so the sex in heaven may not involve any genital contact. And Hoors may not even be beautiful women, rather a remarkable manifestation of love of Imam Hussain (عليه السلام).

Salam, may I ask where u have heard this?

• Advanced Member

Walykum salam. I'll try to find a reference, but I think the reasoning behind no genitals in heaven may be linked to Adam (عليه السلام) and Hawaa (عليه السلام). When they ate what was forbidden, their genitals got exposed and they came out of the garden...perhaps indicating that genitals are not something that can "exist" in heaven. Again, I have no reference for this, yet. Maybe others can shed some light on this. 

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Maisam Haider said:

But again this may be just to explain to us. In reality, these sensations may be very different from what we experience in this world. I've also heard that people in heaven will not have private parts (because heaven is clean of all sorts of dirt and impurities), so the sex in heaven may not involve any genital contact. And Hoors may not even be beautiful women, rather a remarkable manifestation of love of Imam Hussain (عليه السلام). Maybe having this love from Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) will be the greatest pleasure of heaven and this is what it means to have a hoor. 

Brother, be careful with this. Unless you can give a credible reference for this, It may be problematic to think this way. 

First, Paradise is something we can't comprehend what it is. Asking us to describe Paradise is like asking a baby, still in the womb, to describe this world we live in. Since a baby has never been outside the womb, even if it had the power of speech, the descriptions it may give will only be very approximate guesses based on it's own limited experience and nothing more than that. 

Also, private parts are not unclean in themselves. Otherwise, the Masoom wouldn't have had private parts. We know that they did, because they reproduced using the same process (i.e. sexual intercourse) as everyone else does. Some people don't like to think of that, but it is true, and also logical. Private parts only become 'unclean' when we use them in ways that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) does not wish for us to use them, like masturbation, zina, homosexual acts, public sexual acts, uncovering them for anyone other than our spouse, etc. If someone limits their use of their private parts to what Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) allows and doesn't use them in ways that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) hates, then there is nothing 'unclean' about them and they are a source of pleasure and rahma (mercy) for us. I have never read a hadith where this simple fact would change in Paradise. They are like everything else we have been given, they are a creation of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) meant to help us and as a vehicle for Allah(s.w.a)'s mercy to reach us, provided we use them according to what Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has taught us

As far as the Hooris, as I said above, I cannot tell you the exact nature of who they are and details about them are not completely specific. This is due to our lack of knowledge and experience and Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) doesn't want to burden us with something that may create misunderstandings. At the same time, we can't assume that they are something other than what they are described as in the Holy Quran, i.e. as beautiful mates.  Of course, everyone has their own slightly different idea about what a 'beautiful mate'  or 'beautiful spouse' is and this is why each Hoori that is created is created for a specific mumin / mumina depending on what their individual idea / preference is. We should stick to the Dhahir(apparent) meaning of something unless we have strong evidence that the meaning is something else. That is the general rule when discussing issues which we have incomplete knowledge. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

• Advanced Member

Thanks for your reply. As for hooris, there are reliable narrations which link them to be created from the Noor of Imam Hussain (عليه السلام). That's why the concept that hooris are manifestation of love of Imam Hussain (عليه السلام). 

As for private parts being dirty, I didn't mean that they are inherently dirty, but these organs are related to urine and faeces and semen which are all najis. Since there will be no impurities in heaven, hence could it be possible that the genitals will not be needed...that is the question! 

Like I said already, I don't have a reference for it but Adam and Eve (عليه السلام) having to leave once their genitals got exposed may be related to it. I'll see if I can find anything on it and Disclaimer: I'm not claiming this is correct.

The imams have said that the greatest pleasure in this world and the next is sexual intercourse. So I'm not saying this is dirty. But sexual intercourse in the next world may be a lot different from what we can imagine....as far as I know, there are narrations that hooris have "Ya Hussain(as)" written on their foreheads.....so the sexual intercourse in next world is deeply linked to love of Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) and what it actually is, is beyond our understanding.