Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

1st or 2nd sajdah ?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salaam,

What happens when I pray, and during sajdah, I doubt whether I'm in the 1st or 2nd sajdah ? What should I do at this moment ? 

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Mohamad Abdel-Hamid said:

Salaam,

What happens when I pray, and during sajdah, I doubt whether I'm in the 1st or 2nd sajdah ? What should I do at this moment ? 

Salam,

In this case, after completing the sajdah, you are required to perform another sajdah in order to ensure that you have performed both sajdahs. If after performing the sajdah, you realise that you performed a total of 3 sajdahs, then after the salah you must perform sajdah as-sahw and the prayer will be valid.

Ruling 1154. If during prayers one doubts whether he performed a certain obligatory act of the prayer or not – for example, he doubts whether he recited Sūrat al-Ḥamd or not – then, in the event that he has started to perform an act that legally (sharʿan) one must not perform if he intentionally misses that previous act – for example, while reciting the other surah he doubts whether he recited Sūrat al-Ḥamd or not – in such a case, he must dismiss his doubt;(1) otherwise [i.e. if he has not started to perform the other act], he must perform the act about which he doubts.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2241/

Ruling 1220. The rule concerning suppositions (ẓann) in the number of rakʿahs is the same as the rule concerning certainty. For example, if someone does not know whether he has performed one or two rakʿahs but has a supposition that he has performed two rakʿahs, he must assume he has performed two rakʿahs. And if in a four rakʿah prayer he has a supposition that he has performed four rakʿahs, then performing ṣalāt al-iḥtiyāṭ is not necessary. As for acts of prayers, the rule concerning suppositions is the same as that for doubts. Therefore, if one has a supposition that he has performed rukūʿ, then in case he has not gone into sajdah, he must perform rukūʿ; and if he has a supposition that he has not recited Sūrat al-Ḥamd, in the event that he has started to recite the other surah, he must dismiss his supposition and his prayer is valid.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2243/

Ruling 1235. If a person knows that he has not performed one of the sajdatā al-sahw, and it is not possible to perform the other one on account of a long time having elapsed, or [if] he knows that he inadvertently performed three sajdahs, then he must perform sajdatā al-sahw.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2244/

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Mohamad Abdel-Hamid said:

Sayyid Sistani

Sorry brother, I tried my best to upload the pic but it’s not uploading.