Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Moving home during muharram

Rate this topic

Guest Syeda

Aasalamu’alaykum,

I am really worried right now and need some guidance please.

Myself and my two year old daughter have been living away. My daughter has never permanently lived with her dad due to personal issues and husband couldn’t financially provide a house other than his parents home. So I have been staying at my parents.

Now, after a real struggle we are planning to rent a property. We did all the application before time but now being told we’ll get the keys in Muharram. It’s not in our hands as there are tenants already living in the property at the moment. So my husband is saying, let’s not move in on 15th August but let’s wait and move in after soyum (12th Muharram). We will do a small majlis in the house in respect of Muharram.

However, we have a lot of kitchen stuff and home household stuff that are new and have never been used. We would need to use these in order to live in that house. My daughter would need a bed for her room and if I buy it now but delivery will happen in Muharram and we won’t be getting our keys to the property earlier.

I don’t know how to manage, what to do? Please help. How do I run a house without opening all the new stuff like pots and pans. Storage boxes, vacuum cleaner and steam mop.

I have a young child. She has all her life lived with my parents, in a house full of people. Now moving to a house, where I can’t open any of her toys and make the house adjustable to keep her busy due to Muharram. How do I manage? She’s too small to understand. I feel she won’t adjust living alone with me and her daddy. She might get depressed and this might affect her personality. Please help and give me some advice.

• Basic Members

Waalaikumassalaam

Sister, it would be better to hold off moving until after Muharram.

As long as you, your husband and daughter have a safe place to live with parents, this is all that matters for the time being.

Moving can be very difficult and stressful; you will find even more things that need to be done after moving which will require a lot of time and effort.

Your current situation requires patience and compromise. Where you have struggled for so long, I'm certain a few weeks will pass by quickly before you can move into the rental property.

In the time leading up to Muharram, I would suggest making a priority plan / list:

• what needs to be ordered (the essentials) what you need rather than want - maybe pre-order goods for delivery after Muharram.
  • what needs to be packed (pre-pack these beforehand in labelled boxes).
  • decide what actually needs to be used in the new house (the essentials) e.g. kitchen / cooking / cleaning supplies etc. (pack these so they are easily accessible - label as essentials).
  • decide what you need for your daughter to give her a homely environment e.g. toys / games
  • decide what are non-essentials and pack / label them accordingly, so when you move you don't need to unpack these until you are rested and have the time.
  • discuss with the landlord a more suitable date to move in after Muharram (this will be good for you as you've mentioned tenants are there at present).

It will also be good to slowly prepare your daughter for the transition, with love and care, maybe bring some of the closest family when you move (to visit) so she feels more comfortable.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators

Wa alaikum as salam

There is no rule in our fiqh, nor any teachings from the aimmah (عليه السلام), that instruct us not to move homes, buy home supplies or occupy our children in muharram or any other month of the year.

So from a religious perspective, what you have described is perfectly acceptable and compatible with our rulings and beliefs.

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) bless your home and keep all of you safe, God-fearing and healthy. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member
On 7/30/2021 at 4:25 PM, Guest Syeda said:

Aasalamu’alaykum,

I am really worried right now and need some guidance please.

Myself and my two year old daughter have been living away. My daughter has never permanently lived with her dad due to personal issues and husband couldn’t financially provide a house other than his parents home. So I have been staying at my parents.

Now, after a real struggle we are planning to rent a property. We did all the application before time but now being told we’ll get the keys in Muharram. It’s not in our hands as there are tenants already living in the property at the moment. So my husband is saying, let’s not move in on 15th August but let’s wait and move in after soyum (12th Muharram). We will do a small majlis in the house in respect of Muharram.

However, we have a lot of kitchen stuff and home household stuff that are new and have never been used. We would need to use these in order to live in that house. My daughter would need a bed for her room and if I buy it now but delivery will happen in Muharram and we won’t be getting our keys to the property earlier.

I don’t know how to manage, what to do? Please help. How do I run a house without opening all the new stuff like pots and pans. Storage boxes, vacuum cleaner and steam mop.

I have a young child. She has all her life lived with my parents, in a house full of people. Now moving to a house, where I can’t open any of her toys and make the house adjustable to keep her busy due to Muharram. How do I manage? She’s too small to understand. I feel she won’t adjust living alone with me and her daddy. She might get depressed and this might affect her personality. Please help and give me some advice.

It's absolutely fine. Move with no guilt whatsoever.

Life is not meant to stop in Muharram. You are doing this out of necessity and not celebration.