Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why are people so cruel in this world?

Rate this topic

Guest Guest

Asalaamolaikum, I hope everyone is well. I am writing this with a very sad and disappointed heart. I feel betrayed by this world because of the people. I do not wish to generalise here, I know there are a lot of genuinely good human beings out there. However, I feel the bad outweigh the good. There is so much evil around us. By evil I mean, how people behave in this world to get what they want, i.e. stepping on others to get ahead.

The majority of problems in this world are caused by people, who make decisions that negatively affect other people. As an individual who has a strong sense of justice, morals and ethics, it is suffocating to live in such a world and I feel helpless.

I have recently gone through a dispute with a neighbour occupying a shared alleyway space, without any notice, and mentioning about adding a door at the front of the alleyway to make it look nice. In reality, they extended their driveway using the alleyway space and wanted the door (which they added a lock to) so they could use the space as their own storage space, which it now is! 

In the past, I've had people befriend me to get help from me and leave once they got what they needed. I've had work colleagues put their workload on me, and when I would speak up for myself they'd turn the whole team against me. I've worked for managers who've been openly biased through favouritism, with one set of standards for me but leniency for others. I've seen how people in the extended family have destroyed family relations, through jealousy.

Such events like this further increases my frustration and disappointed in how such people can sleep at night, after having wronged someone else. The sad reality is that these kinds of people get ahead in this world. Bad people are rewarded in this world, whilst good people must endure pain and suffering.

Do you have any advice on how I can overcome these feelings and thoughts or if there is any Dua I can recite to feel better?

I try to be positive but it's very difficult, especially when I see all the bad in this world.

I have the exact same problem you have with people . Just don't think about them and you'll find peace as that's what I learned . They are very likely kuffar or munafiq

When people do not have strong faith and strong values and a good knowledge , they will just care about themselves,  they will think that they are greater than anyone else. so this life becomes hard on good people and know this life full of tests . Allah will reward good people for being good. and know Allah will never let us down . and know Satan will use you these thoughts against you.  so be careful   try to find other good people to make you feel the world still okay. Get more closer to Allah. May Allah help you

• Advanced Member

Your issue might be having high expectations from other people. Generally speaking, I’ve learned that almost everyone you meet in your life can potentially disappoint and hurt you if you expect to maintain ideal relationships with them. This is what makes us different from the Ma’sumeen(عليه السلام). Perhaps things will turn out better for you if you change how you interact with other people and focus on self-development.

• Advanced Member

A momin so kind hearted that people tend to take him for a fool.I repeat that when I get taken advantage of.Though you should not fall for same person twice but my dear friend if you choose to follow the Ahylul Bayat (عليه السلام). you can not simply ignore someone who has hurt you in the past.You are likely to help them because the Ahylul Bayat have done so with their worst enemies.Did you know Marwan left his family with Imam Zain ul Abideen (عليه السلام). when people of Medina rose up in revolt against Banu Ummaya.After what he done stopped Imam Hasan (عليه السلام). burial and want the governor to kill Imam Hussain (عليه السلام). Just pray that Allah accepts your good deeds.

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, notme said:

That sounds frustrating. 

My experience has been that most people are flawed but ok. Maybe you need to change who you are around? 

I hope you find good people to be among. 

I second this.

It's important to have friends that uplift and motivate you to become a better you. Not much can be done about co-workers but I'm sure you'll be able to overcome this issue.

• Advanced Member

When I struggle with relationship problems, I recognise that no one is perfect - Not even me!  (I wonder if some people look at me and think I'm cruel?)

My noral response to these challenges is to look at the principles that Jesus the Messish put forward for good living in community.  Thery can be found in the Holy Injil the book of Matthew chapter 5:3-10

He said:

‘Blessed are the poor in spirit,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
    for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
    for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.