Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Shaking Hands With the Ahlul Kitab

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)

سلام

Here's a Mawththaq narration:

حُمَيْدُ بْنُ زِيَادٍ عَنِ اَلْحَسَنِ بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنْ وُهَيْبِ بْنِ حَفْصٍ عَنْ أَبِي بَصِيرٍ عَنْ أَحَدِهِمَا عَلَيْهِمَا اَلسَّلاَمُ : فِي مُصَافَحَةِ اَلْمُسْلِمِ اَلْيَهُودِيَّ وَ اَلنَّصْرَانِيَّ قَالَ مِنْ وَرَاءِ اَلثَّوْبِ فَإِنْ صَافَحَكَ بِيَدِهِ فَاغْسِلْ يَدَكَ .

There's a similar Saheeh narration regarding shaking hands with a Majusi.

There's a similar narration regarding shaking hands with women. 

If necessary, shake their hands but from behind a cloth, no direct touching of the skins. 

The fact that the same ruling has been given for the Ahlul Kitab as well as women makes me think the reason behind it is beyond sexual attraction between the genders. 

Edited by SoRoUsH

• Advanced Member

Salaam, sorry i do not have sources to cite, but i will share anyway...i heard in a lecture is necessary due to contamination of the 2 souls through direct skin to skin contact, which is why shaking with a barrier is permissable...a barrier prevents skin contact so the souls do not touch, as there is a unity between body and soul so touching body also carries the element of "touching souls".

I probably didnt explain that very well:cry:

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, PureExistence1 said:

Salaam, sorry i do not have sources to cite, but i will share anyway...i heard in a lecture is necessary due to contamination of the 2 souls through direct skin to skin contact, which is why shaking with a barrier is permissable...a barrier prevents skin contact so the souls do not touch, as there is a unity between body and soul so touching body also carries the element of "touching souls".

I probably didnt explain that very well:cry:

You explained it well, and I don't disagree that the reason must be beyond the visible physical realm. 

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, SoRoUsH said:

If necessary, shake their hands but from behind a cloth, no direct touching of the skins.

Salam it's a wrong translation of Hadith which exact translation is 

Abu Basir says: I asked the Imam (عليه السلام) about the handshake of a Muslim with a Jew and a Christian. He said: If there is a cloth in between, there is no problem, but if he shakes hands with you, wash your hands in addition if you couldn't find water then touch over wall (soil on wall or muddy wall) ]

امام صادق (علیه السلام)
وَ فِي رِوَايَةِ أَبِي بَصِيرٍ عَنْ أَحَدِهِمَا عَلَيْهِمَا اَلسَّلاَمُ فِي مُصَافَحَةِ اَلْمُسْلِمِ اَلْيَهُودِيَّ وَ اَلنَّصْرَانِيَّ قَالَ مِنْ وَرَاءِ اَلثَّوْبِ فَإِنْ صَافَحَكَ بِيَدِهِ فَاغْسِلْ يَدَكَ وَ فِي رِوَايَةٍ إِذَا لَمْ تَجِدْ مَاء فَامْسَحْ عَلَى اَلْحَائِطِ.

https://hawzah.net/fa/Hadith/View/10156/ابو-بصير-گويداز-امام-عليه-السّلام-در-بارۀ-مصافحۀ-مسلمان-با-يهودى-و-نصرانى-پرسيدم،فرمود-اگر-پارچه-اى-فاصله-شود-مانع-ندارد،ولى-اگر-با-دست-تو-مصافحه

• Veteran Member
6 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

This version is in  مشکاة الأنوار في غرر الأخبار and it doesn't have a sanad. The version that I posted is from Kafi, with a Mawththaq sanad. 

I can't tell if what you posted is authentic or not. 

• Advanced Member
18 hours ago, SoRoUsH said:

This version is in  مشکاة الأنوار في غرر الأخبار and it doesn't have a sanad. The version that I posted is from Kafi, with a Mawththaq sanad. 

I can't tell if what you posted is authentic or not. 

Salam I have said that your english translation of hadith has been wrong which I have not talked or researched about Document/Sanad of Hadith however in any version of Hadith shaking hands with people of book by naked hand has been allowed which after shaking hand you must just clean your hand by water or soil.

• Veteran Member
7 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam I have said that your english translation of hadith has been wrong which I have not talked or researched about Document/Sanad of Hadith however in any version of Hadith shaking hands with people of book by naked hand has been allowed which after shaking hand you must just clean your hand by water or soil.

I didn't translate it, rather I brought forth its implications. 

It is "allowed", but not preferred, since the Imam's first answer was to shake from behind a cloth. It is also "allowed", in the same sense that it is "allowed" to touch anything impure. 

Here are the preferences:

1. Don't shake hands

2. Shake hands from behind a cloth

3. Wash hands, if skins touch