Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Two Weighty Things

Rate this topic

• Moderators

Salaam Aleikum,

“I am going to leave with you two heavy burdens. The first of them is the Book of Allah: in it is the true guidance and the light. Therefore, hold fast to it.” Then he (the Prophet) prompted and induced the Muslims to adhere to the Book of God. Then he said: “And my household. I remind you of Allah in matters relating to my household. I remind you of Allah in matters relating to my household. I remind you of Allah in matters relating to my household.”

- Do you think it makes any sense to tell about two heavy burdens that every Muslim need to hold them and follow and take the principles and guidance from them, but at the same time in the same sermon he never define who exactly are His household?

Instead you have bunch of narrations from companions who add all these different addition about who are these members of household when people are asking about them. Like for example:

He exhorted (us) (to hold fast) to the Book of Allah and then said: The second are the members of my household I remind you (of your duties) to the members of my family. He (Husain) said to Zaid: Who are the members of his household? Aren't his wives the members of his family? Thereupon he said: His wives are the members of his family (but here) the members of his family are those for whom acceptance of Zakat is forbidden. And he said: Who are they? Thereupon he said: 'Ali and the offspring of 'Ali, 'Aqil and the offspring of 'Aqil and the offspring of Ja'far and the offspring of 'Abbas. Husain said: These are those for whom the acceptance of Zakat is forbidden. Zaid said: Yes.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

This following hadith make much sense, where the companions directly in same sermon ask the Prophet what are these two weighty things:

[2/185] الخصال: محمد بن الحسن بن أحمد بن الوليد، عن محمد بن الحسن الصفار، عن محمد بن الحسين بن أبي الخطاب ويعقوب بن يزيد جميعا، عن محمد بن أبي عمير، عن عبد الله بن سنان، عن معروف بن خربوذ، عن أبي الطفيل عامر بن واثلة، عن حذيفة بن أسيد الغفاري قال: لما رجع رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله من حجة الوداع ونحن معه أقبل حتى انتهى إلى الجحفة فأمر أصحابه بالنزول فنزل القوم منازلهم، ثم نودي بالصلاة فصلى بأصحابه ركعتين، ثم أقبل بوجهه إليهم فقال لهم: إنه قد نبأني اللطيف الخبير أني ميت وأنكم ميتون، وكأني قد دعيت فاجبت وأني مسؤول عما ارسلت به إليكم، وعما خلفت فيكم من كتاب الله وحجته وأنكم مسؤولون، فما أنتم قائلون لربكم؟ قالوا: نقول: قد بلغت ونصحت وجاهدت فجزاك الله عنا أفضل الجزاء ثم قال لهم: ألستم تشهدون أن لا إله إلا الله وأني رسول الله إليكم وأن الجنة حق؟ وأن النار حق؟ وأن البعث بعد الموت حق؟ فقالوا: نشهد بذلك، قال: اللهم اشهد على ما يقولون، ألا وإني اشهدكم أني أشهد أن الله مولاي، وأنا مولى كل مسلم، وأنا أولى بالمؤمنين من أنفسهم، فهل تقرون لي بذلك، وتشهدون لي به؟ فقالوا: نعم نشهد لك بذلك، فقال: ألا من كنت مولاه فإن عليا مولاه وهو هذا، ثم أخذ بيد علي عليه السلام فرفعها مع يده حتى بدت آباطهما ثم قال: اللهم وال من والاه، وعاد من عاداه، وانصر من نصره واخذل من خذله، ألا وإني فرطكم وأنتم واردون علي الحوض، حوضي غدا وهو حوض عرضه ما بين بصرى وصنعاء فيه أقداح من فضة عدد نجوم السماء، ألا وإني سائلكم غدا ماذا صنعتم فيما أشهدت الله به عليكم في يومكم هذا إذا وردتم علي حوضي، وماذا صنعتم بالثقلين من بعدي فانظروا كيف تكونون خلفتموني فيهما حين تلقوني قالوا: وما هذان الثقلان يا رسول الله؟ قال: أما الثقل الاكبر فكتاب الله عزوجل، سبب ممدود من الله ومني في أيديكم، طرفه بيد الله والطرف الآخر بأيديكم، فيه علم ما مضى وما بقي إلى أن تقوم الساعة، وأما الثقل الاصغر فهو حليف القرآن وهو علي بن أبي طالب و عترته عليهم السلام، وإنهما لن يفترقا حتى يردا علي الحوض. قال معروف بن خربوذ: فعرضت هذا الكلام على أبي جعفر عليه السلام فقال: صدق أبوالطفيل رحمه الله هذا الكلام وجدناه في كتاب علي عليه السلام وعرفناه

2. [2/185] al-Khisal: Muhammad b. al-Hasan b. Ahmad b. al-Walid from Muhammad b. al-Hasan al-Saffar from Muhammad b. al-Husayn b. Abi al-Khattab and Ya`qub b. Yazid from Muhammad b. Abi Umayr from Abdallah b. Sinan from Ma`ruf b. Kharrabudh from Abi Tufayl `Amir b. Wathila from Hudhayfa b. Asid al-Ghiffari who said: We were with the messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله when he was returning from his farewell pilgrimage. He went forth until he reached Juhfa where he ordered his companions to decamp. The call for prayer was made and he led his companions in a two-unit prayer. After that he turned his face to them and said: The Kind and All-Aware has informed me that I am to die and you too will one day die. It is as though I have been called and have responded. I am to be asked about that which I was sent with for you and also what I leave behind in your midst including the Book of Allah and His proof – and you too shall be asked – so what are you going to reply to your Lord? They said: we will say ‘you have conveyed, counselled and struggled, so may Allah reward you on our behalf the best of rewards’. Then he said to them: do you bear witness that there is no God but Allah and that I am the messenger of Allah? that the Paradise is a reality, the Fire is a reality and the resurrection after death is reality? They said: we bear witness to that, he said: O Allah witness what they say. Behold! I make you witnesses that I myself bear witness that Allah is my Mawla, and that I am the Mawla of every Muslim, and that I have a greater claim over the believers than their own selves, do you admit to that and bear witness to it about me? They said: yes, we witness that to be true about you. He said: Behold! To whomsoever I am a Mawla then Ali is also his Mawla, and he is this one, and he took Ali by the hand and raised it with his own hand until their armpits became visible, then he said: O Allah – be a guardian to whomever takes him to be a guardian, and be an enemy to whomever takes him to be an enemy, aid the one who aids him and abandon the one who abandons him. Behold! I will proceed you but you will catch up with me at the reservoir – my Lake-fount – tomorrow. It is a Lake-fount whose breadth is like the distance between Busra and San`a. In it are goblets made of silver like the number of stars in the sky. Behold! I will ask you tomorrow about what you did in regards that which I made Allah bear witness to – over you – in this day of yours when you reach my Lake-fount. And also about what you did with regards the ‘Two Weighty Things’ after me, so take care of how you will preserve my legacy in them when you meet me. They said: and what are these ‘Two Weighty Things’ O the messenger of Allah? he said: as for the greater weighty thing then it is the Book of Allah Mighty and Majestic, a rope extending from Allah and myself in your hands, one end of it is by the hand of Allah and the other end is in your hands, in it is the knowledge of what has passed and what is left until the Hour comes. As for the smaller weighty thing it is the ally of the Qur`an, and that is Ali b. Abi Talib and his descendants عليهم السلام – the two will not separate until they return to me at the Lake-fount. Ma`ruf b. Kharrabudh said: I relayed these words to Abi Ja`far عليه السلام so he said: Abu Tufayl has spoken the truth – may Allah have mercy on him – we have found this speech in the book of Ali and do recognize it. 

Shaykh Asif al-Mohseni: معتبر - Muʿjam al-Aḥādīth al-Muʿtabara

Edited by Abu Nur

• Veteran Member

Ahl albayt (عليه السلام) has been referred as "Itrati Ahli bayti" in many hadith in sources. This refers to very sepcial postion of Ahl albayt (عليه السلام).who are progeny of the prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). These include Fatima Alzahra saa daughter of the prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) her husband Imam Ali (عليه السلام). and their 11 descendents who are referred as 11 Imams (عليه السلام). 

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Muslim2010 said:

Ahl albayt (عليه السلام) has been referred as "Itrati Ahli bayti" in many hadith in sources

I remember one source which everyone would hate :D, i.e., 

قول أبي بكر في السقيفة : نحن عترة رسول اللّه ص

:hahaha:

Someone asked this question from Ibn Arabi, whether this statement of Abu Bakr correct? The reply given by Ibn Arabi is very interesting and it has reminded me the argument of Hisham bin al-Hakam:

قال : أراد بلدته وبيضته. وعترة محمد ص لا محالة ولد فاطمة 3، والدليل على ذلك ردّ أبي بكر وإنفاذ علي ع بسورة براءة ، وقوله ص: « أُمرت أن لا يبلّغها عني إلاّ أنا أو رجل منّي » ... فلو كان أبو بكر من العترة نسباً لكان محالاً أخذ سورة براءة منه ودفعها إلى علي ع

He said: He wanted his town and his egg.  And the progeny of Muhammad, may God bless him and grant him peace, was inevitably the son of Fatima, and the evidence for that is the reply of Abu Bakr and the enforcement of Ali, peace be upon him, by Surat Bara’ah, and his saying, may God bless him and grant him peace, “I have been commanded that only I or a man from me” communicate it… If Abu Bakr was a descendant of lineage, it would have been impossible to take a Surah acquitted of him and given it to Ali (عليه السلام)

The same was the argument of Hisham:

Hisham used to say, "I wonder why the opponents of the Shi'a chose the man as caliph whose dismissal came from heaven and dismiss the man whose appointment came from heaven; and quoted the story of the verse Bara'at for justification."

(Fehrist Ibn Nadim)

Edited by Cool

• Veteran Member
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cool said:

Someone asked this question from Ibn Arabi, whether this statement of Abu Bakr correct? The reply given by Ibn Arabi is very interesting and it has reminded me the argument of Hisham bin al-Hakam:

قال : أراد بلدته وبيضته. وعترة محمد ص لا محالة ولد فاطمة 3، والدليل على ذلك ردّ أبي بكر وإنفاذ علي ع بسورة براءة ، وقوله ص: « أُمرت أن لا يبلّغها عني إلاّ أنا أو رجل منّي » ... فلو كان أبو بكر من العترة نسباً لكان محالاً أخذ سورة براءة منه ودفعها إلى علي ع

He said: He wanted his town and his egg.  And the progeny of Muhammad, may God bless him and grant him peace, was inevitably the son of Fatima, and the evidence for that is the reply of Abu Bakr and the enforcement of Ali, peace be upon him, by Surat Bara’ah, and his saying, may God bless him and grant him peace, “I have been commanded that only I or a man from me” communicate it… If Abu Bakr was a descendant of lineage, it would have been impossible to take a Surah acquitted of him and given it to Ali (عليه السلام)

The same was the argument of Hisham:

Hisham used to say, "I wonder why the opponents of the Shi'a chose the man as caliph whose dismissal came from heaven and dismiss the man whose appointment came from heaven; and quoted the story of the verse Bara'at for justification."

(Fehrist Ibn Nadim)

I appreciate your and likewise brother Abu Nur's efforts who has started this relevant thread for defining ahl albayt (عليه السلام) in the light of hadith of the prophet.

I wish i could have given a reaction of "Agreed" and "Haha" emojy both to your post. But I add it here :hahaha: for sign of joy and happiness.

Sura Tauba ie Baraat is placed at No. 9 and it has one special feature that it does not have a verse of Bismilla before it. It has exactly 129 verses.  Just for my thought the number 12 comes out of 1+2+9=12. and 9 is number of this sura (9 descendant of Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) out of 12 are Imams and 9th is Imam Al Mahdi (عليه السلام)). As far as verse of Bismillah is not present before this Sura , for myself numerically this is the confirmation of occultation / ghayba of Imam Al Mahdi (عليه السلام). It is just mentioned as food of thought. Do not mind it my brother please.

wasalam  

Edited by Muslim2010