Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

People who become Shia, please share your stories.

Rate this topic

Guest asker

please tell me your story how did you became Shia , and what is the most thing that really makes you become Shia. 

• Moderators

I converted to Islam because I read the Quran. When I started learning about hadith I almost left Islam, but a friend told me there was more than one way of looking at Islam, and referred me to some shia websites (not shiachat though).

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, notme said:

When I started learning about hadith I almost left Islam

Salam sis, is it possible for you to share why you almost left Islam? Do you have advice for those who intend to learn hadith but are afraid they’ll go down a rabbit hole?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, User 313 said:

Salam sis, is it possible for you to share why you almost left Islam? Do you have advice for those who intend to learn hadith but are afraid they’ll go down a rabbit hole?

It was a long time ago. I don't remember the exact sunni hadiths that the ladies who I met taught me; they were something about the inferiority and inherent sinfulness of women. I've since heard similar ones from Shia sources, but I was much more fragile in my faith, as a new convert.

Now when I learn some hadith or bit of history that seems wrong, I just remind myself that if it is not one of the pillars of Islam and I don't believe it, I'm still a believer. 

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

You also have to understand those hadith about women in context. Many people, when they just revert, don't understand the context in which those hadith were said. They also don't understand Arabic, so the hadith might have been mistranslated, and they don't understand the concept of Ilm Al Rijal, so they think that if someone tells them a hadith, it must be authentic, and the translation must be correct. So if they are around a crowd of muslims who are also misinformed, and those muslims try to 'shove the hadith down their throat' without understanding those other issues, this person will either leave the religion of Islam or have very wrong ideas about the religion or both. I have referred to this in the past as the 'Revolving Door' of reverts. This is mostly the fault of those so called 'muslims' who force hadith on , especially newly reverted muslim/a, which they themselves are ignorant about hadith. 

For example, the hadith about 'women are like scorpions, ...'. This was discussed on ShiaChat back in 2006, 

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/234915615-why-does-imam-ali-compare-women-to-scorpions/

The best answer was given by Br. Ali Zaki

(salam)

This issue is very simple, and clarified by a simple question.

In this saying, is Imam Ali (عليه السلام) talking about women IN GENERAL, or a PARTICULAR TYPE of women. It is very often the case that both the context and the subtlty of a particular saying of Imam Ali (عليه السلام), who was well known for his elequonce, get's lost in translation and publication.

Is it possible that ALL WOMEN are like scorpions?

If that was the case, then we would have to include the Sayedina Nisa al-Alimeen, Fatima Zaharah (عليه السلام), whom both Imam Ali (عليه السلام) and the Prophet (عليه السلام) have praised in abundance. We would also have to include Sayidina Bibi Khadija al-Kubrah, who sacrificed everything in her possesion (including her own life) for the sake of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى). We would also have to include Sayidina Asia, Sayidina Zainab (عليه السلام), Sayidina Sakina (عليه السلام), etc., etc., etc.

So IF the statement was a general one, it is not possible that it was meant to point out a genetic "character flaw" in women.

If one reads the commentary for this Khutba, one will see that it was in a spech given after the tragic Battle of Jamal, in which Aisha led the an army against Imam Ali (عليه السلام). It is possible that, because of the fact that she was a wife of the Prophet (عليه السلام), Imam (عليه السلام) did not want to name THE PARTICULAR women (or category of women) that he was refering to. It is likely, however, that the intended audience for the speech (because of the context and subtlty which would have been apparent to them) got the point, which may have been lost on readers of Naghul Balagha.

(End of Quote)

For those who know Arabic, they know that it is a common rhetorical device in that language to refer to a specific individual or a small group of individuals by using a general term 'women', 'men', 'companions', 'those guys', 'those ladies', etc, on occasions when it would be problematic to refer to that individual by name. Imam Ali((عليه السلام)) did this in other places in Nahjul Balagha, specifically in the speech of Shakshakiyya, speech No. 3. There is a good possibility that this is the case, since Aisha was the wife of Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) and thus direct criticism of her actions, by naming her, would have created a great fitna in the community which was already reeling after the battle of Jamal. At the same time, Imam Ali((عليه السلام)) always spoke the truth, but to understand that truth, you must also understand other subjects that are related to it. Understanding the truth sometimes requires you to understand the subtleties of what is being said. This is why understanding hadith is not a simple thing. 

All hadith must be judged against the Holy Quran. If the hadith contradicts the Quran, throw it out, full stop. If it doesn't contradict the Quran, then do further investigation to see whether it is true. This process requires, at least, a basic understanding of the Quran and a basic understanding of the Formal Arabic (fusha), which is the language of the Quran. Unfortunately, most reverts, when they first revert, don't have this knowledge so they have no way to discern whether a hadith that they heard is an actual saying of Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) or one of the Imams or if the translation is correct and / or if the proper context for the hadith is given. They must rely completely on those muslims who happen to be around them at the time. This is a very unfortunate situation to be in. 

My dream in life was always, and is up to now, to be involved in creating an institute or school for newly reverted muslim/a where they school would pay all their expenses for a year, food, clothing, etc. If they had minor children also for their children. They could spend this year completely focused on learning about the religion (basics of Fusha, Quran, Salat, Saum, Hajj, Zakat, basic concepts of Ilm Al Rijal, biographies of the Prophet and Imams, etc) without having to worry about surviving and paying bills. One year of intense study would at least give them enough of the basics so that they would not be susceptible to being the victim of ignorant muslims. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Abu Hadi said:

My dream in life was always, and is up to now, to be involved in creating an institute or school for newly reverted muslim/a where they school would pay all their expenses for a year, food, clothing, etc. If they had minor children also for their children. They could spend this year completely focused on learning about the religion (basics of Fusha, Quran, Salat, Saum, Hajj, Zakat, basic concepts of Ilm Al Rijal, biographies of the Prophet and Imams, etc) without having to worry about surviving and paying bills. One year of intense study would at least give them enough of the basics so that they would not be susceptible to being the victim of ignorant muslims. 

What prevents you from doing it? Obviously money, but what else? Can we help remove obstacles? 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, notme said:

What prevents you from doing it? Obviously money, but what else? Can we help remove obstacles? 

It requires money and support. I don't have the funds myself, and up to this point, haven't found other people who are willing to support this project. InShahAllah, this will happen someday. I am still hopeful. 

3 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

InShahAllah, this will happen someday. I am still hopeful. 

I hope so, InShahAllah , I think it will be helpful even for some of the ignorant muslims who are willing to learn more but do not know where to start.

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Yes. I just want to clarify that I have been actively working on this project for a while. It's been kind of stops and starts. For most people who are born into Islam, it's been difficult, at least for me, to convince them of the value of such a project. When we live in a world where there are Muslims and followers of Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)) who are Yateem (orphans) with no means of support at all and others who are dying of hunger, it's a 'hard sell' to convince people to divert money away from these obviously urgent needs to support a project for Reverts to Islam who are not Yateem and not starving.

When they tell me, 'Why should I give money to this project instead of helping the orphans and the indigent in Iraq or Yemen or Pakistan?'. I honestly don't know how to answer that one. 

My niyyat is still there. I am still working on it. InShahAllah, if Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) gives me the taufiq. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

32 minutes ago, Abu Hadi said:

I have been actively working on this project for a while. It's been kind of stops and starts.

I see that you want to provide clothes and food etc, which is a good thing but it is not easy for sure. Have you tried to do it in different method like free online courses which probably reach many people around the world  but if you want to make it in particular place will not reach many people and you said you want to provide food and clothes etc, you need to make a plan to manage the lack of money for the project. What I mean try to make it step by step, you may collect some donation, some people might not donate because they want to see evidence so they will not donate from the start. I think that you already made a plan but you might need to change it a little bit due to the lack of money. I hope you all the best.  May Allah help you with your project.

• Moderators
22 hours ago, Guest asker said:

please tell me your story how did you became Shia , and what is the most thing that really makes you become Shia. 

Inshallah all who wish to do good will be able. I'd enjoy seeing more stories of how people became Shia. 

• Advanced Member

i became shia after reserching it for a while and then getting most of my questions answered and finding out things on my own. Then i became shia and offcially took the shahadah recently. I offcially converted to shia after attending muhuraam ashura and going to programs!!

• Basic Members

my english not very good. kindly accept my mistakes. 

My mother from shia islam and father from sunni islam. But my father's sisters and mother forces me to obey all religious activity by sunni islam. But I am feeling very lonely and my wish and charm to obey shia islam. Me and my brother after 15yr we both attend majalis but my father knowns. Now we are still sunni muslim. can you suggest any website or related books to learn and obey shia islam same my mother. My mother died when I was 10yr. sorry for my bad english. Nabeela Saeed

• Advanced Member
On 7/24/2021 at 11:56 PM, Abu Hadi said:

When they tell me, 'Why should I give money to this project instead of helping the orphans and the indigent in Iraq or Yemen or Pakistan?'. I honestly don't know how to answer that one. 

Salam , Because they don't see big picture so they just have limited themselves to random donation based on splurge also they think supporting new converts needs spending a large amount of money beyond their limits & It's wasting of money  while donation to indigent & Orphans can be in any amount within their limits which can give them peace of mind . Therefore they prefer cheaper & short term type of donation while evangelist missioneries have strong support of new converts which even  missioners are sharing their personal property with new converts without receiving funds from others therefore if I were you , I'd start your project immediately even by sharing a small room in  house with least amount of money because It's very essential which even in Iran there is stories about new converts from sunnis who were under influence of wahabism which after converting to Shia Islam they have lose everything even they have not a shelter to cover their wife & children which helping  of someone by giving a small room or a floor in his  house with minimum staff could prevent returning them to wahabism also majority of successful supportive groups in crisises & disasters to all even toward sunnis besides of shias are small groups which their office is a under stair small  room in an old & cheap building which  they just rely on themselves & they spend part of their income for helping others so therefore when people see they are honest & trustwothy then people give their charity to them for helping needy people.