Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Qat. Is it haram ?

Rate this topic

• Moderators

According to Shia Fiqh. For those who don't know, Qat is a leaf that is chewed. The leaf gives a stimulant type effect. I've never done it, but it's popular where I live and I've heard different opinions on whether it is considered an intoxicant (and thus haram) or just a mild stimulant, like coffee and halal. 

• Veteran Member

:salam:

I thought importing qat was banned in the US? 

Anyway, it is considered as a plague by several Yemeni organizations who start to fight that practice. They say it is one of the main budgets of a household, it reduces productivity in a society, and people are actually addicted to chewing. 

You are familiar with Arguileh and the effects it has on youths in Lebanon, qat is x100. 

• Advanced Member

I spoke to a white non muslim drug addict. He told me he had done it all in terms of drugs.

He took khaat from a friend and had such a bad trip he had to go to hospital.

It's just a singular case but I'd keep well away from it. Maybe ask a Dr about its effects ? 

Then make an informed decision.

• Forum Administrators

Just for background info:

It was not until 1975 that United Nations laboratories first discovered the active ingredient of khat to be cathinone, an amphetamine-like substance that has sympathomimetic, euphoric, and mood-altering effects among other health consequences.

Mateen, F. J., & Cascino, G. D. (2010). Khat chewing: a smokeless gun?. Mayo Clinic proceedings, 85(11), 971–973. https://doi.org/10.4065/mcp.2010.0658

• Veteran Member
On 7/22/2021 at 11:09 PM, Abu Hadi said:

According to Shia Fiqh. For those who don't know, Qat is a leaf that is chewed. The leaf gives a stimulant type effect. I've never done it, but it's popular where I live and I've heard different opinions on whether it is considered an intoxicant (and thus haram) or just a mild stimulant, like coffee and halal. 

http://www.al-khoei.us/fatawa2/?id=245

• Forum Administrators

^ translation courtesy of google translate:

Answer: It appears that it is a narcotic substance, and its ruling applies to it, which is the prohibition of its use if it seriously harms, even from the point of view of addiction.

• Advanced Member

Salam there is a study about Cannabis  in Iran which I hope so it will be helpful

Islam and cannabis: Legalisation and religious debate in Iran

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0955395918300793

image.jpeg.909c09682258868353d5219f691d8fb9.jpeg