In the Name of God بسم الله

Eid e Ghadeer

Rate this topic

• Moderators

Welcome back! Muharram is almost here so not surprised. :)

Was birthday of Prophets(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) celebrated during the time of panjtan? 

Studying a little bit of history with an open mind would have given you the answer. After demise of RasulAllah(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) Imam Ali(عليه السلام) spent his days in seclusion, after him(عليه السلام) Banu Ummayah took over. During a time when the ladies of Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام) weren't allowed to mourn the massacre of Karbala you are talking about celebrating Eid Ghadeer? 

Secondly, the reason these occasions are celebrated/commemorated today is keep the history alive and not let the enemies of Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام) succeed in covering these things up,something they have been actively trying to do since the death of RasulAllah (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)

• Advanced Member
21 minutes ago, 786:) said:

why do we have no indication that it was celebrated in the times of the Panjetan?

For Muslims, the greatest Eid day obviously would be the one when Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) has perfected the religion for us (اكملت لكم دينكم) and have completed His blessings/favours on us (و اتممت عليكم نعمتي). This day is the day of Ghadeer.

By the way, according to the teachings of Ahlul Bayt (عليه السلام),.every day where we obey the commands of Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) & His Apostle, is an eid for us. I wonder what these two eids (fitr & adha) would benefit Muslims while they celebrate them in disobedience by ignoring the command & message of Ghadeer.

• Advanced Member

Answering the question would be cool. Not looking to entertain the red herrings. Therefore the question still stands. Why are there no indication of celebrating eid e ghadeer in the lives of panjetan? No one is calling prophets birthday the “greatest” eid even bigger than Adha or Fitr. Otherwise the question would apply to that as well. For Eid e Ghadeer, it is touted as the greatest eid in the eyes of Allah. So where is the proof. Why was the greatest eid never celebrated by those who were in the cloak? 

• Advanced Member
17 minutes ago, starlight said:

Welcome back! Muharram is almost here so not surprised. :)

Was birthday of Prophets(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) celebrated during the time of panjtan? 

Studying a little bit of history with an open mind would have given you the answer. After demise of RasulAllah(صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) Imam Ali(عليه السلام) spent his days in seclusion, after him(عليه السلام) Banu Ummayah took over. During a time when the ladies of Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام) weren't allowed to mourn the massacre of Karbala you are talking about celebrating Eid Ghadeer? 

Secondly, the reason these occasions are celebrated/commemorated today is keep the history alive and not let the enemies of Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام) succeed in covering these things up,something they have been actively trying to do since the death of RasulAllah (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)

Imam Ali spent his days in seclusion even when he was caliph? Okay..

• Moderators
Just now, 786:) said:

Imam Ali spent his days in seclusion even when he was caliph? Okay..

After the demise of Prophet I said!  during the time when Abu bakr, Umar and Usman usurped his right. See, you are not really looking for answers you are just letting out your animosity towards Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام) 

What's exactly is your problem with shias celebrating the day? You want to believe shias are a deviated sect? Kaffir? Be my guest. I have never come across shias griping over the commemoration of Umar or Usman's death. 

• Advanced Member
1 minute ago, starlight said:

After the demise of Prophet I said!  during the time when Abu bakr, Umar and Usman usurped his right. See, you are not really looking for answers you are just letting out your animosity towards Ahlulbayt (عليه السلام) 

What's exactly is your problem with shias celebrating the day? You want to believe shias are a deviated sect? Kaffir? Be my guest. I have never come across shias griping over the commemoration of Umar or Usman's death. 

I want to understand what is the logic of celebrating a day that Imam Ali never celebrated. Your seclusion theory only works for the caliphate of the first 3. Why did he not let the Muslims rejoice on this greatest eid when he was caliph for 6 years? You don’t have to cry wahhabi or nasibi every time someone has a legitimate question. If you think the celebration is valid then that’s fine. You can keep on with your life. I’m not asking you to stop. It just doesn’t make sense to me how this greatest eid went centuries without being celebrated.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, 786:) said:

What is the foundation of this eid and why do we have no indication that it was celebrated in the times of the Panjetan?

You don't need to celebrate it as a festival or special occasion. 

As long as you understand the significance in relation to your fundamentals.

Some people celebrate birthdays some don't 

As long as your niyat is correct see it as a mubha (neutral) act.

• Advanced Member
40 minutes ago, 786:) said:

, it is touted as the greatest eid in the eyes of Allah. 

Which ever scholar says that ask for proof directly from Ahlulbayt. Not conjecture and philosophy.

If they cant provide evidence. Ignore such scholars in the future.

• Advanced Member
13 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

Salaam alaikum brother, good question. Kindly refer to the following link:

https://www.al-islam.org/forty-ahadith-ghadir-mahmud-sharifi

In another Hadith it has been mentioned that one day during the days of the “open caliphate” of Imam 'Ali ((عليه السلام).), the day of Jumu'ah and 'Eid Ghadir fell together.  On this day, the Imam ((عليه السلام).) delivered a long speech and said, “This gathering shall soon come to an end and all of you will go back to your homes and families – may Allah shower His mercy upon all of you. 

Ws Brother, the above is from the link you shared. This is the best proof for Imam Ali celebrating eid e ghadeer? I just don’t find this compelling. Even in this hadith Imam Ali doesn’t even acknowledge Eid e Ghadeer. I just find this troubling with how far we have taken this “eid”.

Edited by 786:)

Guest Psychological Warfare

fyi

"For whoever I am his Leader (mawla), 'Ali is his Leader (mawla)."

https://www.al-islam.org/ghadir/incident.html

"O Apostle! Deliver what has been sent down to you from your Lord; and if you don't do it, you have not delivered His message (at all); and Allah will protect you from the people ..." (Qur'an 5:67)

Kindly celebrate in Raqqa(Syria) see what happens. 

Your Question in the times of Ahlul Kisa( The People of the Hadith of the Cloak) - Saqifa/Fadak, Battle of Jamal, Siffin and Karbala. 

Not mental gymnastics just plan facts for the ones with intellect. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Guest Psychological Warfare said:

fyi

https://www.al-islam.org/ghadir/incident.html

Kindly celebrate in Raqqa(Syria) see what happens. 

Your Question in the times of Ahlul Kisa( The People of the Hadith of the Cloak) - Saqifa/Fadak, Battle of Jamal, Siffin and Karbala. 

Not mental gymnastics just plan facts for the ones with intellect. 

I can show you proof of Imam Ali celebrating the main two eids during his reign as caliph, so why is there no evidence for him celebrating the greatest eid? It’s a fairly simply question. I’m not sure what your reply had to do with the question. Mental gymnastics is what you will need to avoid answering the question I suppose.

Edited by 786:)

• Moderators
8 hours ago, 786:) said:

Ws Brother, the above is from the link you shared. This is the best proof for Imam Ali celebrating eid e ghadeer? I just don’t find this compelling. Even in this hadith Imam Ali doesn’t even acknowledge Eid e Ghadeer. I just find this troubling with how far we have taken this “eid”.

You wanted narrations from the aimmah about eid al ghadeer. If you read through the small compilation, there are various where they mention:

-the day of ghadeer being an eid

-the high status of it as an eid

-greeting people and exchanging gifts with them on that day

-the additional benefits of fasting and supplementary prayers on that day

I believe this answers your questions about whether it's really an eid, whether it's to be celebrated and it's status as a great day. 

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, 786:) said:

Answering the question would be cool. Not looking to entertain the red herrings. Therefore the question still stands. Why are there no indication of celebrating eid e ghadeer in the lives of panjetan? No one is calling prophets birthday the “greatest” eid even bigger than Adha or Fitr. Otherwise the question would apply to that as well. For Eid e Ghadeer, it is touted as the greatest eid in the eyes of Allah. So where is the proof. Why was the greatest eid never celebrated by those who were in the cloak? 

Unprecedented offence!

In the open political climate recently established in the country, a number of Sunnite Molavi in the southern parts of the country, have started their offence to the Shiite beliefs (state’s official school) in contrary to their commitment on the issue of solidarity, an example of which is the article with the title of “The legendary of martyrdom of Hazrat Zahra ((عليه السلام).)”, which was published in the “Nedaye Islam” magazine (licensed by Ministry of Guidance), and we replied it decisively.

Now, we came to know that one of the other southern Sunnite Molavi has stated provocative utterances in respect to “Ghadir tradition”, which is in contradiction with the facts existing in the tradition, history and biography books. It persuaded us to explain Ghadir tradition clearly and concisely, and let the public opinion to judge, to see what is the conclusion of offence to the state’s official school? And how long we shall be silent?!

Although for political purposes, the caliphs have tried to erase the memory of this great historical event, and now too, some of the fanatic individuals try to disappear or make it fade for some reasons, nevertheless, the dimensions of this event is too extensive in history, tradition and Arab literature, to be erased, covered or forgotten.

One of the reasons for eternity of this tradition, is revelation of two Quranic verses (1) in respect to this event, and since Quran is eternal and everlasting, this historical event too will be never forgotten.

It is noteworthy that referring to the history clarifies that eighteenth of Zelhejjah has been known among Moslems as the Eid Ghadir, so that Ebne Khalkan says about Mostalli Ebne Mostansar: The people paid homage to him on eighteenth of Zelhejjah, Eid Ghadir, 487 A.H. (2), and he writes about Mostansar Bellah Abidi: He passed away twelve nights before the end of Zelhejjah, 487 A.H. It is the same night of eighteenth of Zelhejjah, the night of Eid Ghadir. (3)

It is interesting that Aboureyhan Birouni, in Assarol Baqieh, has called Eid Ghadir one of the feasts, which all Moslems celebrated it. (4)

Not only Ebne Khalkan and Aboureyhan Birouni have called it an Eid, but also Thalebi, one of the other famous Sunnite scholars has called Ghadir one of the popular nights among the Islamic nation. (5)

This Islamic Eid dates back to the time of Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).a.), because on that day, the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).a.) instructed the immigrants and helpers, and rather his wives, to go to Ali ((عليه السلام).) and congratulate to him for guardianship and Imamate.

Zeid Ebne Arqam says: Aboubakr, Omar, Osman, Talhe and Zobair from among the immigrants were the first who paid homage to Ali ((عليه السلام).), but the congratulation and paying homage ceremonies was continued till sunset. (6)

5-ثمار القلوب: 511
6-Congratulation of Omar Ebne Khattab has been mentioned in many of Sunnite documents, such as, مسند ابن حنبل, vol. 6, p. 401; البداية و النهاية, vol. 5, p. 209; الفصول المهمه ابن صباغ, p. 40; فراءد السمطين, vol. 1, p. 71. Congratulation of Aboubakr, Omar, Osman, Talhe, Zobair and others have been stated in other books: مناقب علي بن ابيطالب, composed by Ahmad Ebne Mohammad Tabari (Alghadir, vol. 1, p. 270).

Second evidence:

Imam Ali ((عليه السلام).) in his poems writing to Moavieh regarding Ghadir tradition says:

و اوجب لي ولايته عليکم

رسول الله يوم غدير خم

God’s Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).a.) enjoined my guardianship for you on the day of Ghadir Khom. (1)

Who can interpret the tradition and explain for us what the God’s Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم).a.) meant by, ولايت, on the Ghadir day, better than Imam? Does this interpretation show not that as all present in the Ghadir event believe, it does not imply anything save social leadership and headship?

1-The Late Allameh Amini, in vol. 2 of Alghadir, p. 25-30, has narrated this poems with other couplets from 11 of Shiite and 26 of Sunnite scholars.

https://makarem.ir/main.aspx?lid=1&typeinfo=1&catid=44907&pageindex=0&mid=252881

https://en.wikishia.net/view/Abd_al-Husayn_Amini

The philosophy of Eid in Islam

Eid represents an anniversary that brings happiness and joy. What brings happiness to the Islamic Ummah? Approaching the Islamic goals. Islam has determined some goals for the Islamic ummah and society like it has done so for Muslim individuals.
January 29, 1998

• The greatest Eid of God

No doubt, the day of Eid al-Ghadir is an extremely important day. In Islamic narrations, we read that the importance of this day is even more than Eid al-Adha or Eid al-Fitr. Not that importance of these Eids can be undermined in any way; but that, Eid al-Ghadir has a more elevated sense. The importance of this Eid--the most important Eid based on the Shia narrations-- relies on its theme: wilayah. It could be said that the goal of all the efforts made by the prophet Muhammad and other prophets and religious figures was to establish the wilayah [governance] of God.
June 9, 1993

https://english.khamenei.ir/news/5896/10-facts-about-Al-Ghadir-event-by-Ayatollah-Khamenei

Eid al-Ghadir is more important and more influential than all other Eids of the Islamic calendar. Why? Because the responsibilities of the Islamic Ummah regarding guidance and government was specified on Ghadir. Ghadir was a matter of establishing a criterion although the Holy Prophet's (s.w.a.) advice was not heeded later on. Until the end of time, Muslims can use this criterion to determine the main path of the Islamic Ummah. Choosing the best time for declaring his successor was not up to the Holy Prophet (s.w.a.). Rather, it was decided by Allah the Exalted. "Deliver what has been revealed to you from your Lord." [The Holy Quran, 5: 67] This is not to say that the Prophet (s.w.a.) did not know about the issue of Imamate and Wilayat before the revelation. He knew about this issue since the time he was appointed a prophet.

https://farsi.khamenei.ir/speech-content?id=101228

the opponents of Ghadir and those who do not believe in it – have interpreted this ayah in certain ways, but this part of the ayah cannot be interpreted otherwise. Today is a day that the enemies – kufar – have become disappointed with your religion. What has been added to the religion that has disappointed the enemy? How significant are the religious rules that have appeared in this ayah and in the beginning of Sura Al-Maeda both before and after this part of the ayah?

This part of the ayah does not refer to daily prayers, zakat and jihad, nor does it refer to any peripheral rule: “This day have those who reject faith given up all hope of your religion.” So, there is another issue involved, one that is not related to the religious rules that have appeared in the Sura. What is that issue?

https://en.shafaqna.com/108382/eid-al-ghadir-is-the-eid-of-allah-the-great/

Some Shia scholars, like Al-Amini, attempt to argue that Sunnis observed this day. He suggests this by providing a reference to Ibn Khallikan, who referred to the 18th of Thu Al-Hijjah as the Eid of the Day of Ghadir in the biographies of Al-Musta’lee bin Al-Mustansir and Al-Mustansir Al-Ubaidi. However, upon closer inspection of the quote, the exact opposite conclusion can be made.

Ibn Khallikan states 1/60, “He (Al-Musta’lee bin Al-Muntasir) was given the pledge of allegiance on the Day of Eid Al-Ghadir, which is the 18th of Thu Al-Hijjah, in the year 487 (AH).”

He also said 2/223, “This night is the night of Eid Al-Ghadir, I mean the night of the 18th of Thu Al-Hijjah.” He then goes on to define what Eid Al-Ghadir is.

It is important to be aware that members of Shia communities before this date may have observed Eid Al-Ghadir, however, it was never officially recognized by any governmental body before the year 352 AH.

When was Eid Al Ghadir first celebrated?
According to Al-Maqrizi, the first official Eid Al Ghadir was initiated by Ali bin Buwayh, the leader of the Buyid Empire. He also says, “Eid Al Ghadir was not an permitted Eid that was observed by any of the predecessors that are looked up to, and it was first known in Islam in Iraq during the time of Mu’iz Al-Dawla Ali bin Buwayh, who started it in the year 352 (AH), and it was observed by the Shias ever since.” Al-Khitat 1/388

It is important to be aware that members of Shia communities before this date may have observed Eid Al-Ghadir, however, it was never officially recognized by any governmental body before the year 352 AH.

http://ghadirkhumm.com/eid-al-ghadir/

• Advanced Member

Highest Eid of Ummah 

The Messenger of Allah ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) said:
Ghadir Day is the highest Eid of my nation and it is the day which Allah Almighty commanded; On that day, I  appoint my brother Ali ibn Abi Talib as the flag bearer (and commander) of my ummah, so that the people will be guided by him after me, and that is the day when Allah completed the religion and completed the blessings on my ummah, and he liked Islam as a religion for them.

Amali , Sadough , 125 , H 8

قال رسول الله (ص) :
یوم غدیر خم افضل اعیاد امتى و هو الیوم الذى امرنى الله تعالى ذکره فیه بنصب اخى على بن ابى طالب علما لامتى، یهتدون به من بعدى و هو الیوم الذى کمل الله فیه الدین و اتم على امتى فیه النعمة و رضى لهم الاسلام دینا . ( امالى صدوق : 125، ح .8 )

Unparalleled Eid

Ali (عليه السلام) said:
Today (Eid Ghadir) is a very big day.
On this day the inauguration  has happened and the status (of those who deserved it) has risen high and the proofs of Allah have been clarified and the position of purity has been spoken explicitly, and today is the day of the completion of the religion and the day of our covenant.

(Bihar Al Anwar 97 :116 )

7ـ عید بى  نظیر
 قال على (ع) :
إن هذا یوم عظیم الشأن ، فیه وقع الفرج ، ورفعت الدرج و وضحت الحجج و هو یوم الیضاح والافصاح من المقام الصراح ، و یوم کمال الدین و یوم العهد المعهود ... ( بحارالانوار ، 97: .116 )

Gifting day 

Amir al-Mu'minin (عليه السلام) (in the sermon of Eid Ghadir) said:
When you have reached each other, shake hands with each other, and give gifts to each other on this day.

Whoever has been and heard these words, tells to who has been absent , let the rich go to the poor, and the strong to the help of the weak, the Prophet has commanded me to do these things.

Wasa'il al-Shia 7:327

عن امیر المؤمنین (ع) قال :
... اذا تلاقیتم فتصافحوا بالتسلیم و تهابوا النعمة فى  هذا الیوم ، و لیبلغ الحاضر الغائب ، والشاهد البین ، ولیعد الغنى الفقیر و القوى على الضعیف امرنى رسول الله (ص) بذلک . ( وسائل الشیعه 7: .327 )

Day of sponsorship

The Commander of the Faithful (عليه السلام) said:
... How will it be for a person who is responsible for the living expenses of a number of believing men and women (on the Day of Ghadir), Whenever I am a guarantor before Allah who is safe from disbelief and poverty.

Wasa'il al-Shia 7:327

عن امیر المؤمنین (ع) قال :
... فکیف بمن تکفل عددا من المؤمنین والمؤمنات و أنا ضمینه على  الله تعالى الامان من الکفر والفقر ( وسائل الشیعه 7: .327 )

Ziad bin Muhammad says:

I went to Imam Sadiq (عليه السلام) and said: Or do Muslims have Eid other than Eid al-Adha, Eid al-Fitr and Friday? Imam (عليه السلام) said:
Yes, the day when the Messenger of Allah ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) appointed the Commanders of the Faithful (عليه السلام) (to the caliphate and guardianship).

Misbah al Mutahajid :736

دخلت على ابى عبد الله (ع) فقلت :
للمسلمین عید غیر یوم الجمعة والفطر والاضحى ؟
 قال : نعم ، الیوم الذى نصب فیه رسول الله (ص) امیرالمؤمنین (ع) . مصباح المتهجد : .736

Day of congratulations and Salutation 

5 hours ago, 786:) said:

I can show you proof of Imam Ali celebrating the main two eids during his reign as caliph, so why is there no evidence for him celebrating the greatest eid? It’s a fairly simply question. I’m not sure what your reply had to do with the question. Mental gymnastics is what you will need to avoid answering the question I suppose.

Ali (عليه السلام) said:
Return home after your gathering (on the day of Ghadir), may God have mercy on you. Open and expand to your family, do good to your brothers, thank Allah for the blessing He has given you, unite so that Allah may unite you, do good so that Allah may makes strong your friendship, give each other Allah's blessing Congratulations, as Allah has congratulated you on this day by rewarding you many times over other Eids, such rewards will not be except on such day [of Eid Ghadir.]

(Bihar Al Anwar 97 :117)

قال على (ع) :
عودوا رحمکم الله بعد انقضاء مجمعکم بالتوسعة على عیالکم ، والبر باخوانکم و الشکر لله عزوجل على ما منحکم ، و اجتمعوا یجمع الله شملکم ، و تباروا یصل الله الفتکم ، و تهانؤا نعمة الله کما هنا کم الله بالثواب فیه على أضعاف الاعیاد قبله و بعده الا فى مثله ... ( بحارالانوار 97: .117 )

Imam Ali (عليه السلام) the interpreter  of holy Quran

The Holy Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) said on the day of [Eid of ]Ghadir:
Ali (عليه السلام) is the interpretation of the Book of Allah, and the inviter to Allah, be aware that what is lawful and unlawful is more than what I introduce and command and forbid and count them. So I was instructed to make a covenant with you to accept what I have borught from Allah Almighty about Ali Amir al-Mu'minin and his successors.
O people! Think and understand the divine revelations, pay attention to its courts and do not follow its similarities. I swear by Allah, no one can utter the verses of the Qur'an and clarify its interpretation except the one whom I have taken his hand (and introduced him).

Wasa'il al-Shia 18:142 H 43

40ـ على (ع) ، مفسر قرآن
 عن النبى (ص) فى احتجاجه یوم الغدیر :
على تفسیر کتاب الله ، و الداعى الیه ، الا و ان الحلال و الحرام کثر من أن احصیهما و اعرفهما ، فآمر بالحلال و أنهى عن الحرام فى مقام واحد، فأمرت أن آخذ البیعة علیکم و الصفقة منکم ، بقبول ما جئت به عن الله عز و جل فى على امیر المؤمنین و الائمة من بعده ، معاشر الناس تدبروا و افهموا یاته ، و انظروا فى محکماته و لا تتبعوا متشابهه ، فو الله لن یبین لکم زواجره ، و لا یوضع لکم عن تفسیره الا الذى انا آخذ بیده . ( وسایل الشیعه : 18، 142، ح .43 )

https://v0.bahjat.ir/index.php/noor-2/652-2011-09-07-19-14-59.html

http://oerp.ir/news/11775/تحقیق-در-مورد-عید-غدیر-خم

https://www.tasnimnews.com/fa/news/1399/05/13/2319887/حدیث-غدیر-عید-غدیر-ملائک-نثار-فاطمه-به-یکدیگر-هدیه-می-دهند

https://www.borna.news/بخش-استان-ها-11/885938-دانستنی-های-جالب-خواندنی-درباره-عید-غدیر

• Advanced Member