Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Someone who speaks arabic

Guest Markus

Salam,

I need someone who could translate a message from English to Arabic to send it to Said Sistani. The English bureau is not answering since months. I’ve heard the Arabic ones are more effective. 
Is there someone who would help?

Thank you!

Wsalam

• Advanced Member

Sure brother, can you share the English text?

Salam,

Thank you very much! I want to ask about a problem which has been discussed a lot but never with an satisfying answer. There is so much misinformation about this. That’s what I would like to ask sistani:

salam,

I live in Germany and here they use ethanol to extract aroma from different kind of sources. The ethanol is not made by industrial or chemical synthesis. It’s normal “drinking ethanol” which is produced by fermentation or Destillation. This aromas is used in nearly every product. Bakery, drinking and so much more. The volume of alcohol is less than 2% tho. Is it halal to consume this products regarding to Sayyed sistani 2% rule? If not, what does this rule regard to? 

W salam

I hope you get what I would like to ask. I’ve seen very much topics about this, but it was never very clear and people asked and got different answers. 

Thank you very much brother!

w Salam 

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

السلام عليكم

أنا أعيش في ألمانيا، و هنا يستخدمون مادة ‏"الإيثانول" لاستخراج ‏الرائحة من مصادر مختلفة.

صناعة هاذا النوع من الإيثانول لا يكون عبر التخليق الصناعي، أو ‏الكيميائي.

هو من النوع الطبيعي الذي يتم إنتاجه عن طريق التخمير، أو التقطير.

تستخدم هاذه ‏الروائح في الكثير من المنتجات، حيث نجده في المعجنات، و في الماء، و إلى غيره من المواد.

نسبة الكحول أقل من ٪؜٢

هل يجوز تناول هاذه المنتجات، على سبيل قاعدة السيد السيستاني؟ التي تشير إلى جواز تناول المواد التي فيها الكحول - مع التأكيد بأن تلك المواد لا تكثر فيها المادة الكحولية من نسبة ٢٪؜

إذا لم يكن كذالك، ماذا تخص تلك القاعدة؟

Edited by Zaidism

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Guest Markus said:

Thank you very much brother!

At your service :) Insha’Allah you find an answer to your question, if you do, kindly post it here. 

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Guest Markus said:

I live in Germany and here they use ethanol to extract aroma from different kind of sources. The ethanol is not made by industrial or chemical synthesis. It’s normal “drinking ethanol” which is produced by fermentation or Destillation. This aromas is used in nearly every product. Bakery, drinking and so much more. The volume of alcohol is less than 2% tho. Is it halal to consume this products regarding to Sayyed sistani 2% rule? If not, what does this rule regard to? 

Salam

177. It has been mentioned in Chapter Three, Part One that all kinds of alcohol whether derived from wood or other sources are pure (tahir). Therefore, the food in whose preparation alcohol was used is tahir; the liquids in which it has been dissolved are also tahir. (See the question-answer section below.)

194. Question: Is it permissible to drink beer that says “alcohol free” on it?

Answer: It is not permissible to drink, if “beer” means the drink made from barley that causes mild drunkenness. But if it means a drink made from barley that does not cause mild drunkenness, there is no problem in it.

195. Question: Alcohol is used in the production of many drugs and medications: Is it permissible to take them? Are they considered pure (tahir)?

Answer: They are pure; and since the alcohol used in them is so minute that it dissolves in them, it is therefore permissible to take them also.

https://www.al-islam.org/a-code-of-practice-for-muslims-in-the-west-ayatullah-sistani/eating-drinking

one should know that if an ingredient that is completely absorbed in a food product [and cannot be detected unless we are told by the manufacturer], it is not obligatory in the sharí‘a to inquire about such ingredients to ascertain that they are free of harãm substances. (See the chapter on “Food & Drink”.)

Appendices » Ingredients and preservatives in food products
In this Appendix, I am listing some of the ingredients and components that are usually added to the food. These ingredients come from vegetable soure or animals or are produced chemically. Since the labels on the food products do not list the origin of the ingredients, there is no way of classifying them as halãl or harãm, except by referring to the manufacturers.

As for the ingredients that shall be listed here, I have tried to ascertain the suitability of their halãl use based on the information that I could gather. However, one should know that if an ingredient that is completely absorbed in a food product [and cannot be detected unless we are told by the manufacturer], it is not obligatory in the sharí‘a to inquire about such ingredients to ascertain that they are free of harãm substances. (See the chapter on “Food & Drink”.)

Chocolate Liquor: This is a sweet liquid made from chocolate and used for its aroma. It is not the intoxicating or alcoholic drink known as “liquor;” and, therefore, there is no problem in using it.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/46/2077/

Q: Some chewing gums contain sugar alcohol. What is the ruling on eating them?
Answer: No problem.
Question 9: Is it permissible to eat chocolate that contains alcohol (not wine)?
Answer: If the percentage of alcohol is small (2%) or less, there is no problem.

Question: Is it permissible to use drugs in which some alcohol is mixed (for example, 4%)?
Answer: It is not permissible to use these, but you can dilute it with water to the extent that its alcohol ratio decreases, for example, to (2%) or less, in which case eating it is not an obstacle.

Question 3: Is it haram to drink alcohol (not wine)? Even if it does not take as medicine but person does not get drunk?
Answer: It is forbidden, if drinking a large amount of it causes drunkenness, eating a small amount of it is also forbidden.

https://www.sistani.org/persian/qa/0799/

According  to grand  Ayatollah  Sistani  in Ana press ( news broadcasting  site  of Azad Islamic universities )

In some foods, such as sweets, a small amount of alcohol is used, which has a processing role and is not intoxicating. Can it be used?
If the alcohol content is low (2% or less), it is not a problem.

Do the sweets that alcoholic drinks  are used in  process of baking apply to the sentence of transformation or not? And what about the fried foods which  alcoholic drinks are added when these are fried?
It is not permissible to use the mentioned sweets and food.

Is the use of beer  permissible according to Islamic law? Considering that this type of beer is offered by Iranian factories?

The drink that is taken from barley and it is called Fuqa is definitely haram and it is najis with obligatory precaution and this drink usually does not cause drunkenness but causes intoxication which can be called mild drunkenness and apparently its source is low alcohol ratio , If the drink(beverage) in question is made completely free of alcohol from the beginning, so it is not a problem not to be called as Fuqa  but on the other hand  is Haram even if after producing  it the alcohol  is removed  from it.

https://www.ana.press/news/17093/فتوای-آیت-الله-سیستانی-الکل-کمتر-از-2-درصد-در-مواد-غذایی-مانعی

On 7/18/2021 at 11:35 PM, Ashvazdanghe said:

First of all thank you! Unfortunately I haven’t received any answere yet.

Regarding this one:

194. Question: Is it permissible to drink beer that says “alcohol free” on it?

Answer: It is not permissible to drink, if “beer” means the drink made from barley that causes mild drunkenness. But if it means a drink made from barley that does not cause mild drunkenness, there is no problem in it.

I don’t get what they mean. Alcohol Free Beer is made from barley but shouldn’t cause drunkenness. Is it allowed or not? 

regarding this:

Question: Alcohol is used in the production of many drugs and medications: Is it permissible to take them? Are they considered pure (tahir)?

Answer: They are pure; and since the alcohol used in them is so minute that it dissolves in them, it is therefore permissible to take themalso.

I thought it only applies on drugs. 

regarding this:

one should know that if an ingredient that is completely absorbed in a food product [and cannot be detected unless we are told by the manufacturer], it is not obligatory in the sharí‘a to inquire about such ingredients to ascertain that they are free of harãm substances

you are right. But there are people who tell you to watch out because they asked the factory and then you can’t just ignore it. I hate it when they do this. They think they do just something good, but they are worsening life in western countries. 

regarding this:

Question 3: Is it haram to drink alcohol (not wine)? Even if it does not take as medicine but person does not get drunk?
Answer: It is forbidden, if drinking a large amount of it causes drunkenness, eating a small amount of it is also forbidden.

that’s what confuses me. Based on this, even the 2% of alcohol shouldn’t be allowed. 

what is meant with intoxicating alcohol. Ethanol is always intoxicating. 

salam

• Basic Members

Salam

Unfortunately I haven’t received an answere yet. I guess that’s because of my German email provider. Is there a chance, one of you try this?

Thank you very much :

w Salam 

• Advanced Member
On 7/25/2021 at 5:59 AM, Markus said:

Salam

Unfortunately I haven’t received an answere yet. I guess that’s because of my German email provider. Is there a chance, one of you try this?

Thank you very much :

w Salam 

Wa alaykom al salam

I can help! I’ll let you know when they respond inshallah

• Advanced Member
On 7/20/2021 at 8:15 PM, Guest Markus said:

don’t get what they mean. Alcohol Free Beer is made from barley but shouldn’t cause drunkenness. Is it allowed or not?

Salam It is allowed .

you are right. But there are people who tell you to watch out because they asked the factory and then you can’t just ignore it. I hate it when they do this. They think they do just something good, but they are worsening life in western countries. 

I feel the same however you must become  sure about it just by yourself not based on saying of other people but too much investigation  is not necessary .

that’s what confuses me. Based on this, even the 2% of alcohol shouldn’t be allowed. 

what is meant with intoxicating alcohol. Ethanol is always intoxicating. 

It's about alcoholic  drinks but if alcohol  has been produced in food processing  or during  making beverages  so if amount of produced alcohol in food & beverage  is lesser than 2 percent which cannot  be seperated from them so there is no problem  for consuming  food & beverages .

I thought it only applies on drugs. 

drugs as narcotics are a seperate matter because drugs only can be added to food but sometimes  alcohol is producing during processing  of food.

Salam,

Got an answere. Could someone translate please? Seems to be a pretty short answere…

باسمه تعالى

لا يحكم بنجاسة الكحول بكافة انواعه.

ودمتم موفقين
www.sistani.org
مكتب  سماحة السيد السيستاني (دام ظله) - قسم الاستفتاءات

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Salam @Markus@Zaidism

I have received a reply alhamdulillah. It is permissible:

باسمه تعالى

يجوز 

ودمتم موفقين

www.sistani.org

Edited by User 313

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much! One last question: Do I have to ask for the percentage of alcohol in some aroma if it is unknown. There are some peanuts with chili or paprica taste and it’s told that they used alcohol for the aroma. Know I don’t know if they used it to extract the aroma or if they’ve added it. It’s not on the ingredient list it’s only told on their website after someone has asked. 

• Advanced Member
On 7/29/2021 at 11:19 PM, Guest Markus said:

Salam,

Got an answere. Could someone translate please? Seems to be a pretty short answere…

باسمه تعالى

لا يحكم بنجاسة الكحول بكافة انواعه.

ودمتم موفقين
www.sistani.org

In the name of Almighty

It does not verdict  to impurity of alcohol from all kinds of it.

And good luck

www.sistani.org

The office of His Eminence Al-Sistani (may his shadow be long) - Polls Section

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, Guest Markus said:

Do I have to ask for the percentage of alcohol in some aroma if it is unknown. There are some peanuts with chili or paprica taste and it’s told that they used alcohol for the aroma. Know I don’t know if they used it to extract the aroma or if they’ve added it. It’s not on the ingredient list it’s only told on their website after someone has asked. 

Salam , I don't think so , because percentage  of used alcohol  is too low , so consequently , It has not mentioned on the ingredient list . Therefore you don't  have to ask for percentage  of alcohol in aroma of it.