Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is the Filet-O-Fish in McDonalds haram?

Rate this topic

Guest Askingtoeat

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Guest Askingtoeat said:

Is the Filet O Fish haram or allowed?

Where are you located? Different parts of the world use different fish and not all are halal. 

Also, the fish is fried in the same oil as non-halal chicken items. 

Guest Guest

Dont ever eat it McDonalds not even fries . There's cross contamination with the cooking equipment material that use for pork products . Only thing halal at such restraints is their beverages .

Guest Askingtoeat
1 hour ago, notme said:

Where are you located? Different parts of the world use different fish and not all are halal. 

Also, the fish is fried in the same oil as non-halal chicken items. 

I am in USA, California. 

I can ask them to cook separate and I can see if they do or not because it’s open to see. 

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Guest Askingtoeat said:

I am in USA, California. 

I can ask them to cook separate and I can see if they do or not because it’s open to see. 

In the US, the fish used by McDonald's is cod, which is a halal kind of fish. 

They fry it in oil. Fast food restaurants have a large vat of oil that they use for days or weeks at a time and only change when it has become dirty or stale. They can't cook the fish in its own container of oil. But maybe the chance of cross contamination by chicken products doesn't bother you. The beef and pork products are not cooked in the fryers, only the chicken, fish, which is halal, and fries, which are vegetables. 

Guest Askingtoeat
4 hours ago, notme said:

In the US, the fish used by McDonald's is cod, which is a halal kind of fish. 

They fry it in oil. Fast food restaurants have a large vat of oil that they use for days or weeks at a time and only change when it has become dirty or stale. They can't cook the fish in its own container of oil. But maybe the chance of cross contamination by chicken products doesn't bother you. The beef and pork products are not cooked in the fryers, only the chicken, fish, which is halal, and fries, which are vegetables. 

So it is halal? I have never tried it, so it is okay to eat it?

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Guest Askingtoeat said:

So it is halal? I have never tried it, so it is okay to eat it?

In the United States, McDonald's fish sandwiches are made with cod, which is halal. However, they are fried in the same oil as not-halal chicken. You should find out what your marja has to say about cross contamination. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

Vats of oil at McDonald's are dedicated. Only fish is fried in the fish vat. Only chicken is fried in the chicken vat. French fries and hash browns are fried in the same vats of oil and no meats are fried in those vats. 

I didn't know that. Thanks for the information. Fast food places where I worked did not do this, but they should have. 

Then the fish sandwich is halal. 

• Advanced Member

salam alaikum,

I dont know about the US, but here in the UK, they use pollock. According to Ayatullah Seestani it is halal. Some chains actually mix oils like the one in our local town centre as confirmed by a muslim employee there.

However, the other three chains in my town, all exclusively separate the fish from other meat which is great. So we know from first word of mouth from an employee which chain is unreliable. We actually had mcdonalds today funnily enough. I make sure I dont eat from the town shop and order it from the other chains since I heard it.The best thing you can do is ask at the restaurant. So what fish it is and whether it is fried separately inshaAllah. :)

• Moderators

Depending on which kind of fish it is, it may be halal in that sense assuming it is not cooked together with haram meat. 

However from an ethical perspective it's best to avoid businesses that support or contribute towards zionism. Also from a health perspective, such fast foods should be avoided.

• Forum Administrators
5 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

Vats of oil at McDonald's are dedicated. Only fish is fried in the fish vat. Only chicken is fried in the chicken vat. French fries and hash browns are fried in the same vats of oil and no meats are fried in those vats. 

Here's a comment supposedly directly from McD themselves (sounds genuine). Obviously it's a Sunni asking the question, so they are not worried about the fish itself (though we would be). But the McD answer about their filtration systems is useful. Presumably the systems are similar around the world.

Are Filet-O-Fish sandwiches cooked in 100% vegetable oil, or in the same oil as other meat products?
http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/whatmakesmcdonalds/questions/food/halal/are-filet-o-fish-sandwiches-cooked-in-100-vegetable-oil-or-in-the-same-oil-as-other-meat-products.html
Question put to McDonalds: Hi, I am a Muslim and I would like to ask a question about your Filet-O-Fish sandwiches. As a Muslim I can eat fish (as it is regarded as Halal) and my question is: Are the Filet-O-Fish sandwiches cooked in 100% Vegetable Oil or is the same oil also used to cook other animal meat (for example chicken)? Your help in answering this question will be very appreciated. Thanks.
Response from McDonalds: Thanks for your question. None of our food is certified as Halal. Our Filet-o-Fish patty is cooked separately from meat items in 100% vegetable oil. However, due to the design of the oil filtration system there is a small chance the oil used to cook these patties can become in contact with oil used to cook meat products during the oil filtering process. We therefore cannot guarantee cross-contamination will not occur, but have taken measures to minimise the amount of any cross-contamination.

https://isithalalorharam.com/are-mcdonalds-fillet-o-fish-halal-or-haram/

• Forum Administrators

We therefore cannot guarantee cross-contamination will not occur, but have taken measures to minimise the amount of any cross-contamination.

Legalese. The worker in charge of filtering a vat of vegetable oil (to remove bits of cooked food that remain in the oil), will be careful to only filter one vat of oil at a time. During the oil filtering process, the oil bubbles gently around, but it certainly does not violently jump out of the vat to contaminate another vat of oil. More likely the oil would jump on the worker if he was careless. Since McDonald's does not want to be sued by anyone claiming their halal food was contaminated with haram food, they have opted to say that they cannot guarantee cross-contamination.   

• Forum Administrators
14 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

Since McDonald's does not want to be sued by anyone claiming their halal food was contaminated with haram food, they have opted to say that they cannot guarantee cross-contamination. 

Yes you can tell how scared they are these days because they caution people that their hot coffee is hot, because some idiot did not realise that hot coffee is hot and sued them.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Haji 2003 said:

Yes you can tell how scared they are these days because they caution people that their hot coffee is hot, because some idiot did not realise that hot coffee is hot and sued them.

That is actually slander spread by McDonald's against the elderly woman who had second degree burns from their near-boiling temperature coffee served in a flimsy cup at the drive-thru. They used to keep their coffee superhot so people couldn't get many refills. If it had been normal hot, she would only have had first degree burns which rarely need medical attention. The problem was compounded by the fact that the extreme temperature softened the walls of the cup, which led to it spilling in her lap, causing injury. 

So it's good that they're afraid. 

• Forum Administrators
1 hour ago, notme said:

They used to keep their coffee superhot so people couldn't get many refills

Wouldn't that just encourage the elderly to hang around longer in the restaurants, waiting for the coffee to reach a drinkable temperature all the while soaking up the aircon in summer and free heating in the winter?

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

Wouldn't that just encourage the elderly to hang around longer in the restaurants, waiting for the coffee to reach a drinkable temperature all the while soaking up the aircon in summer and free heating in the winter?

I guess it wasn't enough of a concern. They could have driven them away by not offering free refills. Those elderly mobs apparently didn't prevent other business. 

• Moderators
13 hours ago, notme said:

I guess it wasn't enough of a concern. They could have driven them away by not offering free refills. Those elderly mobs apparently didn't prevent other business. 

I have seen gangs of elderly loitering at McDonald's, but where I have lived they usually have preferred to gather at Hardee's. I have no idea about the temperature of the coffee at Hardee's; I've never had it. 

• Advanced Member

Speaking as someone who worked at McDonald’s throughout high school, older folks generally preferred Hardee’s breakfasts.  McDonald’s breakfast options were McMuffins and frozen biscuits.  Hardee’s offered fresh buttery biscuits for their breakfast sandwiches.  Also, Hardee’s would make their bacon actually crisp, so I don’t really blame people for picking them.  Despite this, the Hardee’s was eventually replaced by a Burger King, and only then did we get a real morning rush (and older regulars.

I started the year after the Liebeck lawsuit and I can tell you that the coffee was still lava hot and softened the styrofoam cups for the first couple of years.  I burnt my fingers a few times from cups becoming misshapen and lids popping.  I quickly learned to put all coffee cups (even one) in a drink carrier.

Edited by Ibn Maymun

• 6 months later...
  • Basic Members

Now considering this answer from McDonalds - Is the Filet o Fish halal or haram? Can someone answer my question?

Are Filet-O-Fish sandwiches cooked in 100% vegetable oil, or in the same oil as other meat products?
http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/whatmakesmcdonalds/questions/food/halal/are-filet-o-fish-sandwiches-cooked-in-100-vegetable-oil-or-in-the-same-oil-as-other-meat-products.html
Question put to McDonalds: Hi, I am a Muslim and I would like to ask a question about your Filet-O-Fish sandwiches. As a Muslim I can eat fish (as it is regarded as Halal) and my question is: Are the Filet-O-Fish sandwiches cooked in 100% Vegetable Oil or is the same oil also used to cook other animal meat (for example chicken)? Your help in answering this question will be very appreciated. Thanks.
Response from McDonalds: Thanks for your question. None of our food is certified as Halal. Our Filet-o-Fish patty is cooked separately from meat items in 100% vegetable oil. However, due to the design of the oil filtration system there is a small chance the oil used to cook these patties can become in contact with oil used to cook meat products during the oil filtering process. We therefore cannot guarantee cross-contamination will not occur, but have taken measures to minimise the amount of any cross-contamination.

• Forum Administrators
6 hours ago, Hcan96 said:

Now considering this answer from McDonalds - Is the Filet o Fish halal or haram? Can someone answer my question?

McDonald's cooks its fish in the vat of vegetable oil labeled FISH.

McDonald's chicken is cooked in the vat of vegetable oil that says CHICKEN.

The Hashbrowns and French Fries are cooked in completely separate vats of vegetable oil.

FYI: Anyone who cooks at their home can tell you that cooking oil will retain the odor of what it has cooked. People do not want their chicken nuggets to taste "fishy" and they don't want their fish sandwich to taste like chicken. McDonald's is very careful about this. You do not need to worry, because the McDonald's fish is NOT cooked in the same oil with haram chicken. 

• Basic Members

Even though the fish o filet oil and chicken oil is filtered in the same equipment where the fish oil can get contaminated with the chicken oil?

I think we need a fatwa from a marja regarding this issue..

https://customerservices.mcdonalds.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/360019573758-How-does-the-oil-filtration-system-work-is-all-the-oil-mixed-together-and-reused-

• Basic Members

A hoca that i asked said that if you go too much into detail you will not be able to solve anything and thus should not go too much into detail regarding such things.. but is that really true?

Guest gUEST

McDonald's says that the equipment to filter each vat is flushed with fresh oil each time, so the possibility that chicken oil gets into the fish oil is nil. 

Can you explain the oil filtration process?

To ensure that our oil is free from crumbs and food debris, and to retain its quality, our cooking vats are periodically filtered using specially designed filtration equipment. Oil is pumped out of the fryer vat and passed through a filter before being returned to the vat. It is not possible to completely remove all the oil in the filtration equipment each time; oil from a different vat is filtered but the equipment is flushed with fresh oil each time.

• Basic Members
5 hours ago, Guest gUEST said:

McDonald's says that the equipment to filter each vat is flushed with fresh oil each time, so the possibility that chicken oil gets into the fish oil is nil. 

Can you explain the oil filtration process?

Thank you very much brother. We, the shia muslims in switzerland will finally be able to eat filet o fish again. Wsalam

Guest GuEsT
On 2/3/2022 at 12:55 PM, Guest gUEST said:

We expect the potatoes to be cooked in vegetable oil and not be in contact with chicken or fish, but we cannot see what has happened. What if a cook cannot read English and she cooks chicken in the french fries vat of vegetable oil? The only person who would know about that mistake would be the cook and the manager. If this happened once in four years, do we need to be concerned about it today and make eating french fries haram to us forever because contamination might happen?  We haven't seen contamination. 

• Forum Administrators
21 hours ago, Guest GuEsT said:

What if a cook cannot read English and she cooks chicken in the french fries vat of vegetable oil? The only person who would know about that mistake would be the cook and the manager. 

Okay, you have convinced me to stop eating McDonald's hashbrowns and French fries. 

People do not want their chicken nuggets to taste "fishy" and they don't want their fish sandwich to taste like chicken. McDonald's is very careful about this. You do not need to worry, because the McDonald's fish is NOT cooked in the same oil with haram chicken. 

If I buy a fish sandwich that tastes like chicken, I will spit it out and throw it in the trash. I would never eat a McDonald's fish sandwich again. 

• Basic Members

Most Restaurants in the US and Europe usually dont cross contaminate vegan food or fish with other meats bc they dont want to get sued by a pescitarian for example. Mc donalds fries are done in a seperated machine with seperated equipment bc u obviously dont deep fry burgers. And if u dont know u can always assume it to be halal acording to Sistani 

• Site Administrators
On 7/3/2021 at 9:03 PM, Guest Guest said:

Dont ever eat it McDonalds not even fries . There's cross contamination with the cooking equipment material that use for pork products . Only thing halal at such restraints is their beverages .

That's not true. I think that depends on the country. I know of countries that do not cross contaminate, mostly due to vegetarians and not religious reasons.