Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Does the name Muawiya mean barking and why the name is used?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Assalamu aleykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

I read sometimes that the meaning of the name Muawiya means barking and we all know the bad things he did, but a Sunni told me that if that's true, then why the grandson of jafar ibn Abi Talib had the name Muawiya too? Is that true and How is that possible? 

Edited by Dutchzahra

• Advanced Member

Does anyone know why some familymembers of the Ahlalbait (عليه السلام) and followers of them had the name Muawiya? Especially after knowing his actions and meaning of his name. 

• Veteran Member

wa 'alaykum assalam,

It either means this:

مُعَاوِيَةٌ A [Edited Out] excited by lust, that howls (تَعْوِى) to the dogs when she is in that state, and to which they howl.

Or this:

And A fox's cub.

http://lexicon.quranic-research.net/data/18_E/234_Ew.html

I

• Advanced Member
6 minutes ago, Ali_Hussain said:

wa 'alaykum assalam,

It either means this:

مُعَاوِيَةٌ A [Edited Out] excited by lust, that howls (تَعْوِى) to the dogs when she is in that state, and to which they howl.

Or this:

And A fox's cub.

http://lexicon.quranic-research.net/data/18_E/234_Ew.html

I

Thank you. Yes that's true. I found that same website, but why had some familymembers and followers of the Ahlalbait (عليه السلام) the name Muawiya? If it had a beautiful meaning, then I understand it, but it doesn't. 

• Veteran Member
Just now, Dutchzahra said:

Thank you. Yes that's true. I found that same website, but why had some familymembers and followers of the Ahlalbait (عليه السلام) the name Muawiya? If it had a beautiful meaning, then I understand it, but it doesn't. 

For the followers, anyone can become Shi'a, for certain family members it is less clear. But giving such significance to names is clearly a modern phenomenon or else as you say we wouldn't see so many names that we associate with enemies of the Prophet (s) being used by his descendants. Mu'awiyya really does make you scratch you head though because it is an ugly name and presumably the grandson of Ja'far bin Abi Talib would have lived during the Abbassid era (?) However if he lived during the Umayyad period then it is a bit more understandable. Not all descendants of Imam 'Ali (a) believed in him and his successors the way that their followers did, so they could have had any religious or political inclinations

• Advanced Member
On 6/23/2021 at 11:17 AM, Dutchzahra said:

Assalamu aleykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh

I read sometimes that the meaning of the name Muawiya means barking and we all know the bad things he did, but a Sunni told me that if that's true, then why the grandson of jafar ibn Abi Talib had the name Muawiya too? Is that true and How is that possible? 

i think it means black dog....

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, ServantOfTheHousehold said:

i think it means black dog....

Muawiyah is an Arabic word for boys that literally means “one who howls”, from the root AIN-W-A (“to howl”), and it refers to female dogs and the cubs of foxes, lions, and other animals. https://quranicnames.com/muawiyah/

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Ali_Hussain said:

For the followers, anyone can become Shi'a, for certain family members it is less clear. But giving such significance to names is clearly a modern phenomenon or else as you say we wouldn't see so many names that we associate with enemies of the Prophet (s) being used by his descendants. Mu'awiyya really does make you scratch you head though because it is an ugly name and presumably the grandson of Ja'far bin Abi Talib would have lived during the Abbassid era (?) However if he lived during the Umayyad period then it is a bit more understandable. Not all descendants of Imam 'Ali (a) believed in him and his successors the way that their followers did, so they could have had any religious or political inclinations

Thank you for your explanation. It was the nephew of imam Ali (عليه السلام). It's a close familymember. 

Edited by Dutchzahra

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Dutchzahra said:

Muawiyah is an Arabic word for boys that literally means “one who howls”, from the root AIN-W-A (“to howl”), and it refers to female dogs and the cubs of foxes, lions, and other animals. https://quranicnames.com/muawiyah/

k thanks. some people have some very strange names.

Edited by ServantOfTheHousehold