Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Associating With Non-Muslims

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Makarem Shirazi says:

Wa alaykum assalaam

1- One must refrain from associating with non-Muslims when unnecessary in muslim Countries but those who travel to non-Islamic lands or live there permanently do not need to abstain.

Is this Fatwa not Discriminatory, Biased and prejudiced?

Imagine A pope Or some Pastor in for example England saying the same for Muslims. Imagine the backlash and Uproar.

Should we blindly Follow someone without questioning or reasoning?

• Advanced Member

Evangelical Christian preachers tell their adherents all the time to avoid interacting with unsaved™ people unless it is to convert them and get them started going to their church. The Amish shun the English (non-Amish) community as they believe that it is thoroughly corrupt and wicked except when it involves selling their wares to them (baked goods, furniture, building a barn, etc).

On 6/17/2021 at 8:59 AM, Hussain Abidi said:

No, we are never supposed to follow someone blindly. I may be wrong but I remember hearing that Islam has a prohibition on doing so.

• Advanced Member
On 6/17/2021 at 11:59 AM, Hussain Abidi said:

Makarem Shirazi says:

Wa alaykum assalaam

1- One must refrain from associating with non-Muslims when unnecessary in muslim Countries but those who travel to non-Islamic lands or live there permanently do not need to abstain.

Source?

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AStruggler said:

Source?

There is no such thing in the official English website: http://www.makarem.ir

However, it is the correct approach. (See, Quran 60:9 that we are allowed to associate with non-muslims except for invaders and etc) https://tanzil.ir/#trans/en.qarai/60:9

Islam wants us associate with certain people and refrain from certain people.

There is something called TABARRA in shia Islam.

Of course you shouldn't be associating with let's say American invaders in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria.

But if we go to America we can associate with most Americans who have nothing to do with this invasion.

And we question everything and everyone, that includes the apologetic approach of some.

And if we have questions on the fatwas of Marja, we write to their offices and get satisfying answers.

Edited by islamicmusic

• Advanced Member
5 hours ago, islamicmusic said:

However, it is the correct approach. (See, Quran 60:9 that we are allowed to associate with non-muslims except for invaders and etc) https://tanzil.ir/#trans/en.qarai/60:9

Of course you shouldn't be associating with let's say American invaders in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria.

But if we go to America we can associate with most Americans who have nothing to do with this invasion.

And we question everything and everyone, that includes the apologetic approach of some.

And if we have questions on the fatwas of Marja, we write to their offices and get satisfying answers.

What about ones who mock and bully and mistreat other people? like racists and bigots?

• Basic Members
On 6/18/2021 at 6:40 PM, Abdul-Hadi said:

Evangelical Christian preachers tell their adherents all the time to avoid interacting with unsaved™ people unless it is to convert them and get them started going to their church. The Amish shun the English (non-Amish) community as they believe that it is thoroughly corrupt and wicked except when it involves selling their wares to them (baked goods, furniture, building a barn, etc).

No, we are never supposed to follow someone blindly. I may be wrong but I remember hearing that Islam has a prohibition on doing so.

I dont know What Islam you guys are talking about. 

See some pictures of Ayatullah Khamenei Having cakes and food at a christian Women's House in Iran, When he went to meet the Family of Martyrs of Iran.

I asked this question Because all other Marajas Allow associating with Non muslim Regardless of where you live. Some like Ayatullah Sistani Even Encourages associating with them in order to form goodwill.

I feel like if i was in lets say the Usa and someone Said that we cant associate with you unecessarily cause you are a muslim, I would have been Indignated.

On 6/18/2021 at 10:41 PM, islamicmusic said:

As For the source Makarem shirazi's webiste you mentioned has a Whatsapp Number from where you can ask your queries and rulings From His representative, that's where I got the answer from.

Please provide any more Quotes or Islamic Rulings in defense of this baseless Fatwa that explicitly states anything about Associating with Non-Muslims or it being Impermissible.

JazakAllah

• Basic Members

In the last Text I meant:

Please provide any more Quotes or Islamic Rulings in defense of this baseless Fatwa that explicitly states anything about Associating with Non-Muslims in Muslim Countries or it being Impermissible.

*IN MUSLIM COUNTRIES.

• Advanced Member
On 6/18/2021 at 5:40 PM, Abdul-Hadi said:

Evangelical Christian preachers tell their adherents all the time to avoid interacting with unsaved™ people unless it is to convert them and get them started going to their church.

I'm sorry - this is a grose and inappropriate comment.  I follow Jesus and have friends from many backgrounds and faiths.  Why should anybody only associate with 'their own kind'?  Isn't this a recipe for conflict and prejudice?

If this is the teaching of Islam that Muslims should not mix with non Muslims it expains some of the missunderstandings Muslims have about Christians.

7 hours ago, Hussain Abidi said:

Some like Ayatullah Sistani Even Encourages associating with them in order to form goodwill.

This is so important.  We live in a global village and if we don't make the effort to know and reach out to "The Other" our world will become dangerously divided and open to alsorts of hatred and the consquences of that.

Jesus the Messiah taught his followers the following command from God (Holy Injil Luke chapter 6)

27 ‘But to you who are listening I say: love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who ill-treat you.

35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

God shows no partiality - He loves all with an infinite love.  We his followers ought to love like he does.

• Veteran Member
19 hours ago, Dave follower of The Way said:

I follow Jesus and have friends from many backgrounds and faiths.  Why should anybody only associate with 'their own kind'?

Doesn’t the Bible say not to be “unequally yoked” with disbelievers?

2 Corinthians 6 KJV:

14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

• Veteran Member

Here is Sayed Sistani’s ruling:

2Question: Is it permissible for a Muslim to have a non-Muslim friend?
Answer: A Muslim is allowed to take non-Muslims for acquaintances and friends, to be sincere towards them and they be sincere towards him, to help one another in fulfilling the needs of this life.

3Question: Is it permissible to exchange greetings and gifts with a non-Muslim, if he is a neighbour or a co-worker, etc.?
Answer: If he does not express hatred towards Islam and Muslims in words or actions, there is no problem in doing what is required in friendship like being good and charitable towards him.

https://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01186/

The Holy Qur’an:

Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for Allah loveth those who are just. (60:8)

• Advanced Member
21 hours ago, 313_Waiter said:

It does say this, and the verse you quoted is the same verse that the pastors I am referring to in my original comment quoted when they told us not to associate with "unsaved" people. Dave says that this is a "gross and inappropriate comment", but it happened to me when I was exploring different churches after I left the Catholic church. For some reason, it was only at Baptist and other hardline evangelical churches where I was proof-texted the verse in question. Lutheran churches, Orthodox churches, and the United Methodist churches never once told me not to associate with "unsaved" people and rather, encouraged you to be around all people to "let your light shine".

The Quran merely says not to take Christians or Jews as your protectors, but I think that it is talking about the nascent ummah of the time, not that you can't be friends with Christians or Jews, especially when Christians and Jews are considered to be the "people of the book". I personally don't discriminate in my friends or acquaintances due to religious preferences. I do not have any Muslim friends because Muslims are not very many in my area and the only mosque we have is a Sunni mosque. It's not that I don't want to be friends with them, I just don't want to have to hear the "corrections" about how I pray, perform wudhu, etc.

• Basic Members
On 6/23/2021 at 8:46 AM, 313_Waiter said:

Here is Sayed Sistani’s ruling:

2Question: Is it permissible for a Muslim to have a non-Muslim friend?
Answer: A Muslim is allowed to take non-Muslims for acquaintances and friends, to be sincere towards them and they be sincere towards him, to help one another in fulfilling the needs of this life.

3Question: Is it permissible to exchange greetings and gifts with a non-Muslim, if he is a neighbour or a co-worker, etc.?
Answer: If he does not express hatred towards Islam and Muslims in words or actions, there is no problem in doing what is required in friendship like being good and charitable towards him.

That is my point. No Other Marja has any such irrational Fatwa other than Makarem shirazi, Ayatollah khamenei even visited Christian woman's house and enjoyed her hand made cake 2 years back. 

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2021 at 11:59 AM, Hussain Abidi said:

Makarem Shirazi says:

Wa alaykum assalaam

Is this Fatwa not Discriminatory, Biased and prejudiced?

Imagine A pope Or some Pastor in for example England saying the same for Muslims. Imagine the backlash and Uproar.

The only rule I am aware of when it comes to associating with non muslims, is to not make them your 'Awliya'.

O you who have believed, do not take the Jews and the Christians as awliya. They are [in fact] awliya of one another. And whoever  amoung you takes them as an awliya – then indeed, he is [one] of them. Indeed, Allah guides not the wrongdoing people. Quran 5:51

The word 'awliya' (plural of wali) is often translated by English speakers as 'friend'. That is a wrong translation, and this word is sometimes mistranslated deliberately and sometimes by accident. 'Friend' is one possible meaning, but if you look at the context, the word 'awliya' or wali means someone you rely on for important things, either financial, ideological, religious, etc. You shouldn't put yourself in a position with a non muslim in such a way, and rely on them to such an extent, that if they withdrew their support from you, it would put you into extreme hardship. This is what it means to make someone your wali, that you rely on them in a very significant way to help you thru your life. 

There is another rule of association, which seems like common sense to me, in that the more you associate with someone or some group of people, the more like them you become. So a muslim / a who is always around non Muslims and avoids being around Muslims will, over time, start to take on the characteristics of non Muslims to an extent to where this could endanger their Iman. You don't need a fatwa for this, because it is common sense, just like you don't need a fatwa to cross the street when the light turns green. So we should avoid putting ourselves in a position where we rely on non Muslims for significant things in our life, and we should avoid associating with them to the point where we start to take on the habits, thoughts, and opinions of non Muslims. Other than those two things, I am not aware of any other issues regarding associating with non Muslims. 

5_51 (1).png

Edited by Abu Hadi

• Advanced Member
On 6/23/2021 at 7:44 AM, 313_Waiter said:

@Abdul-Hadi Yes there is this verse.  We need to be careful that we don't use this one verse to contradict the overall teaching of Jesus the Messiah and the rest of scripture where we see God, as our example, reaching out to the marginalized and those who others thought were religiously 'unclean'.  The context of this letter is Paul talking about false teachers and their influence on the group of believers.  He is warning people to beaware of unbelievers and not being drawn into their mindset.

Jesus the Messiah was known as someone who "welcomes sinners, and eats with them"  - Isn't this an example to be light and salt amongst those who don't believe?  Separating ourselves from those who have different beliefs reduces our influence and encourages our own blinkered vision.