Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Bible vs Qur’an on Science Debate Mohammed Hijab vs Bob the Builder

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

That's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back :grin: We're better off reading a book by Muhammad Baqir al-Sadr, Muhammad Husayn Tabataba'i, Ali Shariati, Noam Chomsky, Ralph Nader, Edward Said or whoever...too much ego, male toxicity and braggadocio at Speaker's Corner 

Edited by Eddie Mecca

• Veteran Member
25 minutes ago, Eddie Mecca said:

That's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back :grin: We're better off reading a book by Muhammad Baqir al-Sadr, Muhammad Husayn Tabataba'i, Ali Shariati, Noam Chomsky, Ralph Nader, Edward Said or whoever...too much ego, male toxicity and braggadocio at Speaker's Corner 

True but I feel like I’m getting more out of my time watching these debates compared to Netflix lol

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Yeah Mohammed Hijab is not exactly the person I think of as being a good apologist for Islam. He strikes me as one of those UK Salafists that like to make veiled threats to people who are not Muslims and I'm a big believer in you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

He strikes me as the Muslim version of Ray Comfort.

Edited by Abdul-Hadi

• Advanced Member
On 6/16/2021 at 7:32 PM, Eddie Mecca said:

Noam Chomsky

Have you read "Who Rules the World?" That's a great one by him, but the one I'm working on now is "Hegemony or Survival" even though it would have been more topical in the 2000s when the US first invaded Iraq.

• Advanced Member

@Abdul-Hadi, I bought about 30 books with my last stimulus check...I got 'Manufacturing Consent' by Herman & Chomsky, 'Catcher In The Rye' by J.D. Salinger, 'Custer Died For Your Sins: An Indian Manifesto' by Vine Deloria, 'Fingerprints of the Gods' by Graham Hancock, 'A People's History of the United States' by Howard Zinn, "Orientalism' by Edward Said...I bought a bunch of religious books too...'The Shepard of Hermes' J. B. Lightfoot translation, 'Islamic Government' by Imam Khomeini, 'Remembrance of Death and the Afterlife' by Imam Al Ghazali, 'The Lantern of the Path' Imam Ja'far as-Sadiq/Shaykh Fadhlalla Haeri translation, 'The Sayings and Wisdom of Imam Ali' by Imam Ali/Shaykh Fadhlalla Haeri translation, 'Lao Tzu: Tao Te Ching: A Book about the Way and the Power of the Way' by Ursula K. Le Guin to name a few 

• Advanced Member

I have "People's History of the United States" but I've only read random chapters of it. I have not read it cover to cover yet, just chapters based on subjects I was interested in at the time. Another book I read recently was "The PMA Effect" by John Joseph (singer from the hardcore punk band Cro-Mags) which is about building a positive mental attitude and healthy habits in how you eat, exercise, so on and so forth. It got me inspired to get an exercise bike and start doing about five miles on it a day. Granted there are other exercises that I should also be doing, but it's been so long since I was physically active on a regular basis, that just doing five or six miles on the bike wears me out.

I have a lot of books, a lot of them are about Christianity because I used to be searching through Christianity until I found Shia Islam. I would like to get some more books on the subject of Shia Islam for my library but they are accessible via Al-Islam.org so that's where I usually go to do my reading. What a great resource that is!