Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Ithra - cultural innovation in Saudi

Rate this topic

• Forum Administrators

Screenshot 2021-06-16 at 13.51.57.png

So with Salafism having proven to be a bankrupt philosophy, one group of Saudis are turning to art as a means of developing an identity. This time at the 'liberal' end of the thought spectrum.

We are often not a very expressive society and expression has often been associated with shame but now, in this time of change when the arts have become increasingly important and recognised, we have new opportunities to express ourselves. I hope that my generation is contributing to this shift in ways that will benefit the wellbeing of many generations to come.

We are often not a very expressive society and expression has often been associated with shame but now, in this time of change when the arts have become increasingly important and recognised, we have new opportunities to express ourselves. I hope that many generations to come.

• Advanced Member

Why did Salafism get such a hold in Saudi Arabia anyway? I figured that with all of their oil money that they would have gone for a more moderate school of Islam. After all, doesn't the royal family enjoy all of the decadent luxuries and materialism of the worst of America?

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Mohamad Abdel-Hamid said:

The only way they can change is if they abandon Salafism.

If I ever wanted to find out the original Sunnism or the Sunni beliefs that have been taught in very early Islam, I would look at the Salafism. Salafism is the filter that removed those Sufi and other innovation beliefs in Sunni Islam. That's why you find modern Sunnism very tolerated towards any Islamic sects and Salafism as the opposite to all other sects. Because any early Islamic beliefs would not tolerate any modern beliefs.

Salafism will be done soon in Saudi Arabia and they would surely sooner or later approach to be modern and have western values, this is because sooner or later no one will take religion seriously.

Edited by Abu Nur

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

So with Salafism having proven to be a bankrupt philosophy, one group of Saudis are turning to art as a means of developing an identity. This time at the 'liberal' end of the thought spectrum

Salam every  so clled reforms in KSA just happens by order & will of MBS which any official  in KSA is his hand puppet which he hides himself behind them which this Ithra project is a peace of pazzle  of big project of 2030 vision by order & observance  of MBS however traditional  wahabists  muftis are against his so called reforms but but because  they can't seperate themselves from KSA monarchy  so now they has turned a blind eye on his project in hope of overthrowing  him by another  prince of Saud monarchy which has same viewpoint  likewise them because any type of conflit between  will lead to weakening  both of Saud monarchi & wahabi  muftis .

9 hours ago, Abdul-Hadi said:

Why did Salafism get such a hold in Saudi Arabia anyway? I figured that with all of their oil money that they would have gone for a more moderate school of Islam. After all, doesn't the royal family enjoy all of the decadent luxuries and materialism of the worst of America?

Salam Salafism has inveted by help of Mr.Hempher the famous british spy agent for cutting  down of Ottomans  from discovered vast Oil feeds in Hijaz which he could hide it from Ottomans  which then after conquering  of Hijaz by coalition  of Al-Saud tribe & Abdulwahab the creator of wahabism  by great help of Mr.Hempher , Britain could have total access to oil fields without  any rival also by the same token Britain  has used wahabism  as an effective  tool for destroying  Islam which Saud family has made a pact with Abdulwahab which they rule over Hijaz by religious  support of Abdulwahab & in return they protect & promote salafism likewise twins which Saudi monarch doesn't  care about religion so they need religious  support of wahabistin order to can oppress people & royal family can enjoys from luxuries and materialism which due presence of iron hand of wahabists  over people noone  can qustions their actions.

• Forum Administrators
10 hours ago, Abu Nur said:

Salafism is the filter that removed those Sufi and other innovation beliefs in Sunni Islam.

Is that wholly true though? Surely the idea of visiting shrines is not innovation per se, (since we do it). I'd always thought that Sunnis just found others to venerate.

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

Is that wholly true though? Surely the idea of visiting shrines is not innovation per se, (since we do it). I'd always thought that Sunnis just found others to venerate.

They do accept visiting shrines but they are very strick with it. The reason is that they don’t want people to do any ghulat action. Unfortunately this can exactly be seen by some shias in the shrines.

Im really not even praising salafis because we don’t even agree with their many of their beliefs in the first place.

• Advanced Member

The reason I am not into Salafism is because I am not a Sunni. The reason I am not a Sunni is because I believe that Sunni's micromanaging of mundane things such as how one cleans their teeth, what side of their body they sleep on, and their obsession with literally imitating the Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) in mannerisms rather than in character, is the wrong thing to focus on.

Also I believe that Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) chose a successor, and that successor was from his own household because it's impossible to look at the event of Ghadir Khumm and not believe this to be the truth. I was not born into or raised in Islam, and the research I have done leads me to believe this. Furthermore, all of my real life contact with Muslims has been through Sunnis, including attending at and praying in their Masjid here in town and I believe that they are too obsessed with the mundane and not with the matters of the heart.

I've literally been told that I "have to wear a thobe because Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) would have worn a thobe" and that brushing my teeth with a toothbrush is "not sunnah". I'm sorry if this upsets anyone, but I simply don't think that any of this is important. I can imitate Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) in appearance and behavior all I want and my heart can still be like that of a pagan: nasty to others, cheating, untruthful, devoid of compassion for the poor and orphans, etc. I truly believe in my heart of hearts that Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) would rather I wear modest Western clothing and imitate the beautiful character of Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم). And that is what I try to do. I may still fail at it regularly because I'm nowhere close to the person that the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) was, but I make the attempt to emulate the things about him that truly matter and that which set him apart from other men.