Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Haraz Coffee Shop in Dearborn, MI

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

The owner posted some Anti-Shia propaganda on Social Media. Here are some of them before they were taken down.  There are more (warning, some have inappropriate language). Anyway, it is obvious from the tweets that this guy is anti-Shia, opening a coffee shop in a city that is probably 70% Shia ? So now he is going on the local media claiming that he is sorry (so he won't lose his business), but IMHO, his motive is obvious, only $$. So I am asking brothers and sisters who live in the area to boycott this business. One of my relatives (by marriage) Zeena Mousawi posted re posted these on twitter after he deleted them or they were taken down (not sure which). You can read her posts. I agree with her 100%. 

When he is cursing, in the below tweet about m**f*** coming to Dearborn and the rents going up, lol. The rents went up because that part of Warren Ave which used to be run down and trashy is now more like a high street due to the fact that our Shia brothers and sisters opened businesses there and maintained the area well, thus more foot traffic and more business for everyone. It is natural that when an area is doing better economically, rents will go up. Most businesses don't complain about this because they are also making more money. Maybe this guy needs a refresher course in basic math ? 

Haraz_1.jpg

Haraz2.jpg

Haraz3.jpg

Haraz4.jpg

Haraz5.jpg

Haraz6.jpg

Edited by Abu Hadi

• Moderators

Gentrification is a real issue that really destroys communities, but this business owner is hateful and despicable so it's impossible to have sympathy for him. 

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

The owner posted some Anti-Shia propaganda on Social Media. Here are some of them before they were taken down.  There are more (warning, some have inappropriate language). Anyway, it is obvious from the tweets that this guy is anti-Shia, opening a coffee shop in a city that is probably 70% Shia ? So now he is going on the local media claiming that he is sorry (so he won't lose his business), but IMHO, his motive is obvious, only $$. So I am asking brothers and sisters who live in the area to boycott this business. One of my relatives (by marriage) Zeena Mousawi posted re posted these on twitter after he deleted them or they were taken down (not sure which). You can read her posts. I agree with her 100%. 

When he is cursing, in the below tweet about m**f*** coming to Dearborn and the rents going up, lol. The rents went up because that part of Warren Ave which used to be run down and trashy is now more like a high street due to the fact that our Shia brothers and sisters opened businesses there and maintained the area well, thus more foot traffic and more business for everyone. It is natural that when an area is doing better economically, rents will go up. Most businesses don't complain about this because they are also making more money. Maybe this guy needs a refresher course in basic math ? 

Haraz_1.jpg

Haraz2.jpg

Haraz3.jpg

Haraz4.jpg

Haraz5.jpg

Haraz6.jpg

Salam, about the last picture, can someone explain to me what’s the meaning of it? 

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Diaz said:

Salam, about the last picture, can someone explain to me what’s the meaning of it? 

He is mistranslating and taking hadith out of?context to make it seem like Shia believe that Imam Mehdi(afs) will kill all Arabs when he rises

• Advanced Member
7 minutes ago, Abu Hadi said:

He is mistranslating and taking hadith out of?context to make it seem like Shia believe that Imam Mehdi(afs) will kill all Arabs when he rises

Thanks for the correction brother, I was scared xP

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, notme said:

Gentrification is a real issue that really destroys communities, but this business owner is hateful and despicable so it's impossible to have sympathy for him. 

Gentrification is a problem in some areas, but I don't think what he's saying applies here. 

The East side of Dearborn, where the coffee shop is and where most of the Shia businesses are, was traditionally an Italian / Polish neighborhood where the white people went who worked for Ford and GM but didn't want to live in Detroit (which is right next door) because they didn't want to live near black people. The Mayor at that time, Mayor Hubbard, was an open racist, against black people. This is the 50's and 60's. In the 70s and 80s Arabs started moving into the area, mostly from South Lebanon (which is Shia). In the 80s and early 90s, the Polish and Italian people started moving out (white flight) moving North and West to other parts of SE Michigan. Then in the 90s, Iraqis from Southern Iraq started moving in, making Dearborn one of the few places in the US which was majority Muslim and Majority Shia. There is also a large and growing Indo / Pak and Iranian community in South East Michigan, but most of this community is not in Dearborn, but in the Northern Suburbs, about 15 to 20 miles away. Dearborn is one of the very few places in the US where a women walking down the street in Hijab, or even in Niqab, wouldn't stand out at all and wouldn't be noticed by anyone since you are just as likely to see a women wearing hijab as not wearing one. 

The area of East Dearborn was really run down and trashy in the 80s and 90s (so I heard, I wasn't living there then), and then the Lebanese and Iraqis started opening businesses on Warren Ave and the place became famous and popular all over South East Michigan for the Restaurants. It got to a point where if you went into a halal restaurant in the area, half the restaurant would be white people, non muslims who would drive in from other parts of Michigan and even northern Ohio because the place got a reputation for having good restaurants and reasonable prices. 

So that's when the rents started going up on Warren, because the area got turned around from a semi ghetto to a thriving business district. This was due to the hard work of muslims and Shia. Obviously, when the business district starts thriving rents will go up. But this means people are making money. If you compare the rents to places like New York, LA, DC, Miami, Raleigh / Durham, or Seattle, they are still pretty low, also housing prices in the area are still either average or slightly below average for the US. So I don't know what he's complaining about. It seems, to me, like he's just trying to slander Shia. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Diaz said:

Thanks for the correction brother, I was scared xP

NP. This is a common tactic of the Salafis / Wahabis. They will take a hadith out of context, mistranslate it, then use that as a proof for some weird point they are trying to make, usually a point intended to make the Shia look bad. If I had a dime for every time this happened on ShiaChat, I would be very rich by now. 

• Moderators
Posted (edited)

Gentrification is not property values going up. Gentrification is existing businesses and residents being driven out by increasing prices and property taxes and by necessary businesses being closed down to make room for "luxury" ones. Urban revitalization is a good thing, and respects the community.  Gentrification is usurpation. 

Edited by notme

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Abu Hadi said:

Salam but will any arabs support Imam al Mahdi (عجّل الله تعالى فرجه الشريف)?

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, 313_Waiter said:

Unfortunately no. We're all preprogrammed to fight him when he returns. Shame really, If only I knew of this earlier :sorry:

• Veteran Member
26 minutes ago, Patient Warrior said:

Unfortunately no. We're all preprogrammed to fight him when he returns. Shame really, If only I knew of this earlier :sorry:

Lol Bro. I am referring to the hadith is it legit ^^?

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, 313_Waiter said:

Salam in another narration has been said that majority of army of Imam Mahdi (aj) will be from Ajam (non Arabs & mostly Iranians ) which presence of Arabs in his army likewise salt in food ( very few number)  , by the same token , anti shia propaganda of whabists & salafis likewise this guy has been based on counting Arab shias as agents of Iran which anti shia people are excluding them from any Arab community in similar fashion they are accusing Iran to secret agenda of reviving Persian Empire by supporting shia Islam & creating shia cerscent at west Asia region which king of Jordan has declared it publically which he has not change his mind sofar but he hides himself behind peacefull words & pretending to support Palestine against Israel which this anti shia accusation has been based on fact that dominant shia countries of Arab countries like wise Bahrain & Yemen & most regions Iraq  & syria & Iran has been parts of Iran untill fall of Sasanid dynasty  which still now seperation of Bahrain during Pahlavi era by Britain is still a blleding wound in hearts & minds of Iranians & some shias in Bahrain .

• Advanced Member

Sectarianism Middle East Cold War 1979 Sectarianizing the

https://slidetodoc.com/sectarianism-middle-east-cold-war-1979-sectarianizing-the/

What If The ‘Shia Crescent’ Became A ‘Full Moon’!

“The four men running Syria policy in the Saudi Arabia - King Abdullah and three of his nephews - Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal, intelligence chief Prince Bandar bin Sultan and National Security Council deputy chief Prince Salman bin Sultan - want more U.S. involvement in Syria,” Reuters said, adding that “the presence of Hezbollah became twice of the Iraqi brigade Abolfazl al-Abbas which the prince Turki dubs ‘the iron grip of Iran’.

Indeed, it is this presence that pushed the Arab leaders of Persian Gulf countries and their thugs to resort to religious speech, which is their great fear today.

But a Saudi analyst confirmed that “Riyadh rulers are well aware of the danger of such religious speech … although they believe openly sectarian rhetoric can backfire by helping mobilize Shiites in support of Assad as much as it fires up the rebellion.”

What If The ‘Shia Crescent’ Became A ‘Full Moon’!

Jordan, From Shia Crescent to A Hidden Dagger in the Back of the Palestine!

https://en.abna24.com/english/service/archive/2013/06/21/432114/story.html

https://english.iswnews.com/1987/jordan-from-the-shia-crescent-to-a-hidden-dagger-at-the-back-of-the-palestine/

• Advanced Member

The creator of the HAR*Z COFFEE Instagram profile, Zena, spoke to the Arab American News. Despite rumors, Zena confirmed she is not an employee of another coffee shop in Dearborn.

She said she dug through Nasser’s past public comments after her sister posted about a recent visit Haraz Coffee and was confronted by someone online  regarding Nasser’s history of expressing provocative anti-Shi’a viewpoints.

“I went through his Facebook because I didn’t want to make any allegations without proof because I knew I was gonna get backlash because he was getting so much praise.”

Zena called for a boycott of Haraz Coffee, and said Nasser had erased the posts in question. Nasser’s twitter account @hamzahnasser has been deleted.

“You can erase your posts and comments all you want but you can’t erase our memories,” the HAR*Z COFFEE Instagram profile stated.

Zena said the cafe’s Instagram originally blocked her two days ago and later Nasser reached out inviting her to visit Haraz Coffee to “discuss the allegations”.

“He did not deny them nor did he apologize,” said Zena. “I said you’re a little too late. You wiped out the evidence and I know what you did. And I’m not going to your shop and no one that I know is coming to your shop.”

Zena said Nasser responded by saying she is “low class and spreading false allegations.”

Nasser posted a statement the next day apologizing for his comments over the Haraz Coffee’s social media on Thursday.

“Simply put, (those tweets and statements) were wrong. The posts and statements were insulting, disrespectful, misogynistic, and absolutely deserving of condemnation. For this, I am wholeheartedly sorry,” part of the statement read.

Nasser said he took full accountability for the statements and that they were made by “a different man” than he is today. He said he was prepared to do work and mend rifts and “strengthen our community,” and the he understood the pain and hurt he had caused.

In response to Nasser’s apology, Zena said,  “As a Shi’a Muslim and follower of ahl-al bayt and a descendant of ahl al-bayt, I can’t help but feel bad and show mercy. But with saying that, I don’t buy it. Yesterday I was a ‘liar’ and ‘low class’, ‘rude’ and ‘disappointing’. And then the next day we have any apology.”

Some social media users were also not convinced by Nasser’s apology.

“You’re only apologetic because you got caught in 4k,” commented one Facebook user on the apology post.

“I do not believe the sincerity behind this mans apology,” said another commenter. “He is only apologizing for being caught and now being exposed to the fullest extent.”

Others came out to Nasser’s defense, saying the apology was sincere and that he had known Nasser to have grown out of his past views.

https://www.arabamericannews.com/2021/06/11/owner-of-yemeni-coffeehouse-apologizes-for-past-derogatory-comments-about-shias/

• Advanced Member

According to an advertismentative article for Haraz coffee shop & It's anti shia owner , It looks like that he has had a successful business sofar without presence of rival coffe shop(s) in Dearborn region which due fear of losing his business due to rival cofee shops by shia owners he has spread this hateful propaganda for keeping his anti shia costumers & making his coffeshop a nest for them.

https://yemeniamerican.com/en/review-at-haraz-coffee-master-craftsmanship-embraces-america-yemen/

• Advanced Member

According to an advertismentative article for Haraz coffee shop & It's anti shia owner , It looks like that he has had a successful business sofar without presence of rival coffe shop(s) in Dearborn region which due fear of losing his business due to rival cofee shops by shia owners he has spread this hateful propaganda for keeping his anti shia costumers & making his coffeshop a nest for them.

https://yemeniamerican.com/en/review-at-haraz-coffee-master-craftsmanship-embraces-america-yemen/

• Advanced Member

USA: Largest Arbaeen Procession held in Dearborn, Michigan + Photos

October 22, 2019/in All NewsASHURAFeaturedOther NewsPhotosShia islamShia OrganizationsUS /

SHAFAQNA- Nearly 5,000 people gathered to commemorate the 40th of Imam Husayn ((عليه السلام)) in Dearborn, MI.
Dearborn has the largest concentrated Muslim population in all of America that makes up about 45 percent of the city’s population.

CB80E3B3-C81E-41B9-A35E-2CEBECCC533D.jpeg 4107A918-11A9-46F9-880F-B1A97E7DF6E7.jpeg B3256F5A-4A26-4159-A680-5FF04AB894DF.jpeg

https://en.shafaqna.com/120209/usa-largest-arbaeen-procession-held-in-dearborn-michigan-photos/

Dearborn's Qahwah House ranked best coffee spot in Michigan by Yelp

The Yemeni coffee shop is opening a second location in west Dearborn

https://www.clickondetroit.com/2019/10/04/dearborns-qahwah-house-ranked-best-coffee-spot-in-michigan-by-yelp/

https://www.qahwahhouse.com

https://www.secondwavemedia.com/metromode/features/arab-american-markets--121916.aspx

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, 313_Waiter said:

Yes. Some will, but few in number, according to hadith. There are many hadiths that say the rising of the Qaim(a.f.s) will be like the rising of Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h). In the beginning, most of the Arabs were against him, and the leaders of the Arabs fought him. Then, gradually, over time, they supported him. There are many hadith I have seen that says amoung the 313, most will be Ajami (non Arab). The exception to this will be the Yemani and his supporters, who will be Arab (i.e. from Yemen). 

This wrong thinking the Imam Mehdi will 'kill all the Arabs' is loosely based on the mistranslation of hadiths that say most of the Arabs will be against him. Most of the Arabs were against Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) when he began his Ba'atha (duties of Prophethood). He didn't 'kill all the Arabs'. He fought against the Arabs who fought him (on the battlefield). Some of them died, but most of them lived, and most of those eventually came to support him at the end. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

She isn't an employee of another coffee shop in Dearborn. I know her in real life and I can confirm that she is not an employee of any restaurant in Dearborn and her job has nothing to do with this industry. There is another coffee place, Qahwah House, which she likes to go to. She mentioned that in her tweets, but they are not paying her anything (not to my knowledge). I can tell you that she is a sincere person, and when she saw an owner of a coffee shop in Dearborn posting anti-Shia propaganda it made her upset and she wanted to let other people know about it. 

I agree with her because we, as followers of Ahl Al Bayt((عليه السلام)), have to have some self respect and dignity. We can't allow business owners who come to Dearborn and benefit from the Shia, monetarily, then work to smear the name of the Shia on social media and there are no consequences for this. That is the truth of it. There is nothing going on behind the scenes that I know of. If there was, I would let you guys know. 

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Abu Hadi said:

Yes. Some will, but few in number, according to hadith. There are many hadiths that say the rising of the Qaim(a.f.s) will be like the rising of Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h). In the beginning, most of the Arabs were against him, and the leaders of the Arabs fought him. Then, gradually, over time, they supported him. There are many hadith I have seen that says amoung the 313, most will be Ajami (non Arab). The exception to the will the the Yemani and his supporters, who will be Arab (i.e. from Yemen). 

This wrong thinking the Imam Mehdi will 'kill all the Arabs' is loosely based on the mistranslation of hadiths that say most of the Arabs will be against him. Most of the Arabs were against Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) when he began his Ba'atha (duties of Prophethood). He didn't 'kill all the Arabs'. He fought against the Arabs who fought him (on the battlefield). Some of them died, but most of them lived, and most of those eventually came to support him at the end. 

5 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam in another narration has been said that majority of army of Imam Mahdi (aj) will be from Ajam (non Arabs & mostly Iranians ) which presence of Arabs in his army likewise salt in food ( very few number)  , by the same token , anti shia propaganda of whabists & salafis likewise this guy has been based on counting Arab shias as agents of Iran which anti shia people are excluding them from any Arab community in similar fashion they are accusing Iran to secret agenda of reviving Persian Empire by supporting shia Islam & creating shia cerscent at west Asia region which king of Jordan has declared it publically which he has not change his mind sofar but he hides himself behind peacefull words & pretending to support Palestine against Israel which this anti shia accusation has been based on fact that dominant shia countries of Arab countries like wise Bahrain & Yemen & most regions Iraq  & syria & Iran has been parts of Iran untill fall of Sasanid dynasty  which still now seperation of Bahrain during Pahlavi era by Britain is still a blleding wound in hearts & minds of Iranians & some shias in Bahrain .

It makes sense if we look at reality. When Israel caused that big stink a few weeks ago the Arab countries firmly and bravely.........asked them to stop. Some didn't even say anything and some are actively trying to forge bonds with them.

But it was the non Arab Iran and Turkey that bothered to lift a finger. I'm sure Yemen would have also done something but they're not in the position to do so.

Edited by guest 2025

• Veteran Member
34 minutes ago, guest 2025 said:

It makes sense if we look at reality. When Israel caused that big stink a few weeks ago the Arab countries firmly and bravely.........asked them to stop. Some didn't even say anything and some are actively trying to forge bonds with them.

But it was the non Arab Iran and Turkey that bothered to lift a finger. I'm sure Yemen would have also done something but they're not in the position to do so.

Yes but the question is does the corrupt leadership of said countries represent its people? Is politics a good reflection of the state of the masses?

There was a debate on this in the Oxford union: