Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

I can't find any halal jobs - 10 months on

Guest as1

Salam,

So around 10 months ago I left a job because I didn't like a few aspects of the job, particularly some moral dillemas I faced. Anyways it made me super aware of trying to earn a halal income, which is nearly impossible and I'll say that honestly. Every single place I have applied to has issues,

for example jobs in security means I can't leave my desk or post to pray, if I work in a supermarket I will need to stop people attempting to steal alcohol, which it in itself seems like I'm protecting alcohol.

All jobs in tech have moral dillemas whether people like it or not, whether that is the company who make the tech or what type of technologies are being developed. 

Warehouses you'll not have to pray (I had two temporary warehouse jobs and I've experienced this in my first one)

I can't get into the construction trade because I dont have the experience, it's hard to get in as an apprentice (that if you even find one),

Working in retail even homeware stores source items from oppressive countries (and 99% of these retail stores do) which Sistani says you can't work in.

And in most big corporations you'll need to adopt some anti religious principles to fit in I guess, like working in a mixed gender enviroment and other more contempary issues.

I know I'm ranting but I'm just letting off steam, it's nearly impossible to find a decent job in a decent place to earn a halal income, I've struggled for around 10 months and I'm not joking, I've applied for around 500-1000 jobs and don't get anything, my whole day is spent job searching. I feel like a bum and loser, I need advice, it's very lonely at moment, especially with a lack of routine and stuff, my brain has become mushed. I've asked this numerous times before but I all I get is you're just being lazy or overthinking, which isnt the case I hope. The more I research the more harder it is to actually make a halal living, and even more so finding an actual job.

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Guest as1 said:

Salam,

The more I research the more harder it is to actually make a halal living, and even more so finding an actual job.

Trade. Buy something and sell for a profit. Then buy some more things and sell them. Keep doing this while searching for a job. You might be surprised by the results.

Breathe. 

I think you're seriously overcomplicating the religion. You can still pray, did you ask? Speaking of praying, if you live in the US, when you talk to your employers that you need to pray, they legally can't deny you breaks to pray. I've worked in sales while being in college, and I've always taken breaks to pray even when they didn't have room in the stockroom--I would go to another store's break room. Someone I know works in a warehouse, at a major corporation, and she's always been allowed to pray. The other people don't get those breaks, but we, as Muslims, can. I've never heard of furniture stores being haram to work in. Every country has its labor workers, so does that mean working in clothing stores is haram too? Do you see the rabbit-hole you can down? 

If all else fails, just go to trade school. Become a plumber or something. 

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Guest as1 said:

Salam,

So around 10 months ago I left a job because I didn't like a few aspects of the job, particularly some moral dillemas I faced. Anyways it made me super aware of trying to earn a halal income, which is nearly impossible and I'll say that honestly. Every single place I have applied to has issues,

for example jobs in security means I can't leave my desk or post to pray, if I work in a supermarket I will need to stop people attempting to steal alcohol, which it in itself seems like I'm protecting alcohol.

All jobs in tech have moral dillemas whether people like it or not, whether that is the company who make the tech or what type of technologies are being developed. 

Warehouses you'll not have to pray (I had two temporary warehouse jobs and I've experienced this in my first one)

I can't get into the construction trade because I dont have the experience, it's hard to get in as an apprentice (that if you even find one),

Working in retail even homeware stores source items from oppressive countries (and 99% of these retail stores do) which Sistani says you can't work in.

And in most big corporations you'll need to adopt some anti religious principles to fit in I guess, like working in a mixed gender enviroment and other more contempary issues.

I know I'm ranting but I'm just letting off steam, it's nearly impossible to find a decent job in a decent place to earn a halal income, I've struggled for around 10 months and I'm not joking, I've applied for around 500-1000 jobs and don't get anything, my whole day is spent job searching. I feel like a bum and loser, I need advice, it's very lonely at moment, especially with a lack of routine and stuff, my brain has become mushed. I've asked this numerous times before but I all I get is you're just being lazy or overthinking, which isnt the case I hope. The more I research the more harder it is to actually make a halal living, and even more so finding an actual job.

You need to not make your life overly complicated. It is not wajib for you, or even mustahab, to look into every aspect of what a company is doing before you take a job with them. Your only concern is what you are doing in the job. There are exceptions to this, of course, such as working for a company such as an 'Adult Entertainment' company or an brewery / distillery where the main or only product they are selling is haram. But most other companies have a variety of things they are doing, many of these are halal, maybe some are haram. Lets take one example you brought up, a security guard in a supermarket. 

Your job is to protect the products that the store is selling. Most of the products they are selling are not haram. If you look at a grocery store, the percentage of their sales which are alcohol are pretty small. You were not hired to protect only the alcohol. You were hired to protect the store, the building, all the products, etc. If they place alcohol in the building and start selling it, you did not make this decision, nor do you get paid extra to protect the alcohol vs the rest of the store. So you have nothing to do with the alcohol. For alcohol, as per the famous hadith from Rasoulallah(p.b.u.h) which is accepted by all muslims, it is haram to consume, buy, sell, transport, or sit with those who are drinking alcohol. You are not doing any of those things, so therefore it is not haram. 

Just one more (I don't have time right now to go thru all of these). As for homeware stores, the hadith of Sistani applies to products which you knowingly buy or sell knowing that these are from countries, such as Israel, and you have a choice to buy / sell another equivalent product. If you are working in the store, you are not buying or selling them (you are merely doing a job, i.e. helping the customer facilitate a transaction which you are not directly benefitting from) nor are you making a decision about carrying or profiting from these products. This fatwa doesn't apply to you (unless you are the store owner and / or make decisions about which products the store will carry). 

Now obviously, if you happen to find a job with a company that is not involved in haram at all, in any way, then definitely this job is preferable. If you live in the West, where dealing in haram is very common and widespread, it is not always possible to find a job like this. In that case, if you have no other choice, you should find a job where your job within the company does not involve doing anything that is clearly haram. 

The rule with regards to haram is that everything is halal until you know FOR SURE that it is haram. If you are speculating it is haram, without clear evidence, then it is not haram. Islam did not come to make your life more difficult. Salam. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

• Advanced Member
On 6/9/2021 at 4:16 PM, Guest Window said:

that you need to pray, they legally can't deny you breaks to pray.

Most Americans aren't religious and the ones that are don't have much obligations. However policies especially in the corporate world aggressively support religion and would never dare deal with the repercussions of such things.

Essentially religious attire, prayers, beards, fasting shouldn't be an issue no matter where you work.

On 6/9/2021 at 9:17 AM, Guest as1 said:

The above being said, I respectfully disagree with this. You're responsible for your own actions, thoughts and motives. It might be hard and you might even be ostracized but I know you can do it. Do your job and do it well nothing else should be asked of you, and they must accommodate.

I've applied for around 500-1000 jobs and don't get anything, my whole day is spent job searching. I feel like a bum and loser

I graduated college 2 months after the initial lock down. Spent the following 8 months applying for jobs. Trust me I know how bad the job market is right now. However don't just meticulously repeat the same procedure. Are you getting interviews? If not you need to update your resume. Subsequently if you are; then you need to work on your interview skills.

You're not a loser. It's a rough time right now to be job hunting. Turn to Allah; "Call upon Me; I will respond to you." 40:60

it's very lonely at moment

Pray. I'm serious, do it with sincerity. You're not alone. "He is with you wherever you are." 57:4

especially with a lack of routine and stuff, my brain has become mushed.

Organize your day, open up google calendar or get a productivity app; I personally swear by them. Cut out a small portion and read, build skills, develop a hobby, refine your passions.

I'll pray for you tonight.

• Forum Administrators

As one of the UK's largest food businesses, we are playing a critical role in keeping the nation fed. We are continuing to operate and are looking for motivated people to join our team as a Halal Food Production Operative. With ambitious growth plans, we are continually investing in our facilities and our people, with opportunities to develop and build your career with us.

https://careers.avarafoods.co.uk/vacancies/1881/halal-food-production-operative.html

Hourly pay rate: £9.96 with 12p shift allowance on top
• Paid weekly 
• Guaranteed hours and opportunities for overtime
• Employee benefits include a competitive pension and access to lifestyle and wellbeing resources
• A safe dynamic working environment
• Training and development opportunities from day one

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

You're making your life harder than it needs to be. Nearly every company in the world sources items from oppressive countries or is itself oppressive to its workers. This doesn't mean you aren't allowed to work for them. Why have you purchased a cellphone and computer, these also contain metals that are mined by Congolese child slave laborers. 

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, -Enlightened said:

Im a real estate agent. Easiest money I've ever made lol. You can consider that too 

i can pray whenever i want, i can chose to work with who i want too and where i want. 
i finish everything online 

Sounds exciting lol. What led you to real estate?

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Guest Sailerman said:

Sounds exciting lol. What led you to real estate?

Lol the paycheck 

it's 2.5% to 3% of the home price.  I'm usually good with selling 1 home a month or once every 2 month. It covers the bills

Edited by -Enlightened

On 9/8/2021 at 6:31 PM, -Enlightened said:

Lol the paycheck 

it's 2.5% to 3% of the home price.  I'm usually good with selling 1 home a month or once every 2 month. It covers the bills

That's awesome man mashallah

Do you need to have an active social media presence, how do you find clients?